Do Sup Forums actually like Grimes or not?

Do Sup Forums actually like Grimes or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this thread again

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
Due to the culture of rampant contrarianism on this board, the only time you are going to see a huge majority here saying that they "like" something is when the thing in question isn't good enough to be worth hating. Likewise, the only time you are going to see a huge majority here saying that they "hate" something is when the thing in question IS good enough to be worth hating (Because - to paraphrase James Brooks - people throw rocks at things that shine because things that shine are easier to see.)

For an artist, being universally loved on /mu is a bad sign. Likewise being universally hated on /mu is a bad sign. However being simultaneously strongly loved AND strongly hated by /mu is a wonderful sign, since the size of that dichotomy itself is the closest thing this place has to offer to a true judgment of artistic value.

The proof that Grimes IS a great artist (insofar as /mu hive-mind opinion is concerned) lies in the fact that she has the POWER TO DIVIDE this place. Only the greatest artists can do that.

No

She's cute, never listened to her music though.

What are you waiting for? You're missing out some great music. Listen to Visions now.

She's way too ugly can't do it

Then why do only handful of people dislike Bowie or Radiohead?

I do but her other fans are fucking weird

Because they're "classics" so it's ok to like them (Bowie moreso than Radiohead) By comparison Grimes is very new so it's more "trendy" to hate her.

Because of how long they've been around.

Hating a specific thing just for the sake of being contrarian does eventually get boring after a while. And by 'while' I mean 20+ years or so. Relatively young acts that are actually very good - such as Grimes - tend to get more than their fair share of the contrarian hate out there because they tend to be more relevant to the trends of today, and as such are more worth 'hating'.

Dubs confirm great minds think alike.

Sup Forums's not one person

Grimes was popular on Sup Forums until the generals started.

That doesn't make any sense. After the generals started she's not popular anymore?

My cock likes her, my ears don't, is that hard to understand?

Posting a classic

I fell hard for Art Angels when it came out despite never really caring for her music before. I remember listening to Visions a few times and Genesis was the only song that stuck with me (I didn't even like Oblivion wtf was I thinking)

I don't even know how I ended up listening to AA given all that but it went on repeat for weeks, which led to me going to see her live, which led to me getting into Visions too.

I do remember seeing interviews with her and always thinking she seemed pretty cool, before I even got into her music.

>my ears don't
How that could even happen if you said before
>never listened to her music though.

You're retarded and your cock can go to hell.

wh u keep ake tyhreads with retraad talk

>I remember listening to Visions a few times and Genesis was the only song that stuck with me (I didn't even like Oblivion wtf was I thinking)
I think this is quite a common thing: people getting into her music after a while, sometimes even years after discovering her music.

Go away, stupid memester.

her music is good
she herself and her fanbase are scum of the earth.
would never wanna meet her or see her live

she repeats the word "like" in every interview which showcases.

She's more popular than ever.

People are just tired of the Grimes generals.

What are the actual correct lyrics to Butterfly?

I have a feeling Google is lying to me...

>oh no
>he came
>inside me again

They could filter them.

Art Angels is special to me because it's what top 40 would sound like if it was made by interesting people. I actually really like well-produced pop but I hate the way a lot of stuff that charts is so homogenized so that everything potentially unique and quirky about the artists is crushed beyond recognition. I've seriously never heard anything like it. It's so close to that mainstream sound, yet I know if I want to play any of it around my normie friends I can probably only get away with Flesh without Blood or Realiti. It occupies this weird sweet spot which makes it an easy target for backlash among anyone who's been following her, yet still not hitting it big. I don't think Sup Forumstants appreciate that gap enough, most people here are content to boil it down to 'us freaks who marathon Coil's discog VS those retards who go to Foo Fighters shows'. In reality it's a very fine line and I think she's right on the edge of it in a way you rarely see.

The problem is she's now in a position to sell out totally with her next album and I really hope she doesn't. It's like Art Angels is her Aim and Ignite, I'm just hoping she doesn't follow it up with a Some Nights

she made me feel less ugly

You're still ugly and delusional, Grimes is still beautiful. You lost.

i know. i'm just ugly

You implied that she made you feel less ugly because she's uglier than you. That's lame, pathetic and insensitive. Shame on you.

this didn't help

bump

I LOVE GRIMES

probably only the visually impaired

Only soulless people wouldn't love her

Who doesn't love Grimes, doesn't love good music!

Who wouldn't love a cute girl who plays cute music?

I think you're totally right about her post Art Angels marketing potential. The longer she goes without selling out (aka outsourcing her own songwriting/production) the bigger the potential for her to continue introducing things which are truly "different" into the mainstream pop sphere. At the same time, the greater the potential straight-up mainstream success waiting for her if she does decide to... diversify, so to speak.

Imo there's a great deal to be gleaned if you look at all this from a business sense. By doing everything art-related (and then some) by herself Grimes has essentially put herself in a position of being the possessor of a huge amount of pure artistic capital (something of which she is most definitely aware of the importance of - see caption in pic related) which she can either continue to increase on her own, or cash out big time at a bank at an opportune moment.

Like you I'd much rather see her continue on as she has so far, but I definitely wouldn't be able to fault her for deciding to go that way eventually - because of the sheer potential. Not to mention that there's bound to be a point when her prowess as a behind-the-scenes mastermind/producer type is gonna start attracting people interested in selling out to HER...

Who is the most beautiful between these 4?

>You're missing out some great music
Liar

I'm glad with whatever music she will release next as long it's still great and innovative.

2 quirky 4 me

Maybe second from right? Hard to be sure when she's covering her face a bit.

that's madonna's daughter

awful answer.

real answer:

a few autists are obsessed with her for her being a quirky woman who makes below average music and everybody else thinks she sucks.

I swear I didn't lie.

Ah ok I can see that now that you say it

Only album I've listened to is Art Angels, and it just seemed like an 80s influenced version of the sort of music I tune out when I go to the gym. So not bad, just not wildly interesting.

False, false, false. Most critics, lots of artists and music connoisseurs love her great music. Why someone would be obsessed with a mediocre, yet quirky artist? Someone like Jenny Hval is even quirker than Grimes and Sup Forums barely talk about her.

>I’m super excited that Grimes is getting so much attention for her amazing production too because she’s super, super talented. And she does everything! She produces completely on her own.
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that people irl tend not to ask you for answers to questions more than once...

Why ask him more than once when he's right the first time?

>False, false, false.
Fanboy detected

>a few autists are obsessed with her for her being a quirky woman who makes below average music and everybody else thinks she sucks.
this is true. the only correct answer ITT.

>Fanboy
I'm just a fan.

>the sort of music I tune out when I go to the gym.
What sorts of music do you ACTIVELY listen to?

>everybody else thinks she sucks.
>this is true.
And you can't prove that.

>Why ask him more than once
>Reading comprehension
I used the word 'questionS' with an 's' for a reason, user...

>Fanboy detected
Yes? And?

Ambient, black metal, terrible 80s metal, a bit of post-industrial like young gods and dark pool, some classic rock like pink floyd and early genesis, a little casual-tier jazz like Oscar Peterson and Jimmy Smith . No one thing really - I don't know why I necessarily like some stuff and not others, I just didn't find Grimes all that interesting.

>I just didn't find Grimes all that interesting.
Understandable. You listen to some tired, generic and boring stuff, miles away from the innovative music of Grimes. I guess that sophisticated dreampop/synthpop is not for you.

of course. why not?

Love her or hate her but Art Angels is one of the most interesting pop records in the past few years. Even as someone who never listens to pop, I was able to enjoy many songs on Art Angels. She's a good producer.

Check out all 4 of her albums. They're all fairly different.

Yeah, I'd highly recommend checking out her earlier albums before calling judgment. She tends to cover A LOT of ground in her music - stylistically speaking. Especially Geidi Primes, Halfaxa, and the EP Darkbloom go to all sorts of weird places sonically.

decent music
her fanbase can go fuck themselves

>85 waifufags rush to defend their favorite "musician's" honor

>115 randoms wander into a thread and vote that she is mediocre at best

Yeah, I mean, she aint no Bjork or anything...
But she's decent

hey user these a totally valid methods of validation

She's better than Bjork. Don't forget she never did dull albums like Medulla, Volta and Biophilia. And by the way, her voice is much more pleasant than Bjork's voice.

?????

everything you wrote is subjective

>her voice is much more pleasant than Bjork's voice
I'll cut you

Everything posted on Sup Forums is subjective, including my posts and your posts.

Except for factual information quoted from outside sources.

Even those outside sources could be subjective. They're written (mostly) by humans.

>Not understanding the concept of information domains
In the context of idle discussion on /mu they are functionally objective unless specifically proven otherwise.