Shopping for a synth

I'm looking for a cheap entry synth to buy relatively soon. I want one I can get some good art-rock, dream pop, and maybe chillwave sounds out of. I just don't know what I should be caring about between everything I'm looking at, monophonic vs polyphonic, etc. I know I'd love an arpeggiator, but that's it

get a midi controller and torrent some software

I have a midi controller and all of the software synths I've used just rub me the wrong way

If you already have a midi controller, I recommend the Korg Volca FM - it's cheap and has a stupid amount of options. I love syncing all of my Volcas together and layering them with vocals/bass guitar/other samples from the Korg Volca Sample.

I would recommend that you save up a little bit and get a Korg Minilogue. I set up a patch the other day that sounds just like a Jupiter 8, have been playing Jump and Seperate Ways.

>all of the software synths I've used just rub me the wrong way
what a faggot

Microko-

Minilogue or Gaia

Goddamn the minilogue looks good. Just too much more expensive music gear I need to justify it rn

>art-rock,

definitely the microkorg

>dream pop,

for this you'll need a roland rack ppm module

>chill wave

sample vinyl

Ever tried rubbing yourself the right way with software? Protip: you can't.

Microbrute.

11/10.

What's the ppm module? Just looked it up and didn't find anything

Exactly, it just feels awkward tweaking it through a screen when I would much rather be doing it physically

>Exactly, it just feels awkward twerking it through a screen when I would much rather be doing it physically
ftpfy

>ppm

sorry, PCM.

If you're too lazy to do this, there is no fucking hope for you. Try actually playing with software synths for a few months/years and get as much knowledge out of them as you can. A great, super in-depth software synth is FM8. If you think there is any great difference between your precious hardware synths other than the fact that people will think you're cooler, then you're wrong.

Another great software to use is the Modular app for iPad. It's a great learning tool that will get you very familiar with all the terms you will need to know backward and forward if you want any real good synthesis.

I think you just want something you can dick around with and feel legitimate, instead of doing the real nitty gritty work of understanding how soundwaves work and how to get truly interesting sounds out of a synthesizer. Get out of here
with your entry level shit. You think Aphex Twin got Rhubarb or Ziggomatic out of some presets that he mildly dicked around with? It's about having a deep knowledge of whatever you're working with, not fast track, low-effort bullshit.

Y'all are ruining electronic music.

Nah man, I meant awkward because I get horrible migraines, and one of their triggers is looking at screens to long. I've tried, but the way that they're set up is just too much stuff on a screen for me to handle. I would much prefer to be able to use software synths, just because I know I can get much more sounds out of them for a cheaper cost.

That's why you get a midi controller with knobs and sliders and shit

I have one with that stuff, but there's just so much more stuff I couldn't map to it. And I was constantly switching between synths so it was just a hassle

>I meant awkward because I get horrible migraines,

you could also get a decent midi controller with sliders, set it up right, and then turn off your computer screen.

Spoken like a true poorfag that is so jealous of the idea of people using expensive hardware that they defend software even when it isn't being threatened

>you could also get a decent midi controller with sliders, set it up right, and then turn off your computer screen.

Or you can pay the cost of entry for a a knob per function synth and never have to worry about compex midi mappings again

I got ya OP. what's your price range? my first thought was a minilogue, plenty of knobs and lovely sounds, an arpeggiator and a sequencer

Get a used MicroKorg or Minibrute.

Either that or you could go with something vintage, like an ESQ-1 or a DX-7.

Really though, no matter what you choose, you're gonna need to learn how synthesis works to get anywhere with any of these. The MicroKorg is a possible exception, but only if you're okay with being limited by the use of factory presets.

>Hey guys. We should keep perpetuating the idea that hardware synths are better than software so then we don't feel like shitasses for spending 5k on a Jupiter 8

Face it, man: software beats hardware any day. I don't know why everyone thinks some 35+ year old piece of hardware could possibly sound better than a well designed piece of software

you don't really need to know synthesis to know that turning a filter knob/adsr knob sounds cool and can shape sound

>Minibrute
get microbrute instead desu

>compex midi mappings

lol

>select synth function
>right click
>select "learn MIDI"
>turn the knob that you want to use for that function on your MIDI controller
>done

i have a novation launch control i use this for you have 16 knobs you can assign and its cheap like $99