Pitchfork's 100 Best Songs of 2016

pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9981-the-100-best-songs-of-2016/

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0NFyNZ4IZ7W
tinymixtapes.com/features/2016-favorite-50-songs
youtube.com/watch?v=X_UKDPR7k_E
pitchfork.com/thepitch/796-kanye-west-is-going-to-drop-a-brick-and-its-going-to-hurt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm shocked

How come half the list are actual respectable songs and the other half is top 40 shit, and not even the good songs in the top 40, the worst ones

Drone Bomb Me and Work that high is pretty rough but this isn't as bad as I expected

Cmon white people step up your game, the top 10 has like 4 whites p sure

>Nick Cave - I Need You at FUCKING 27

shit list

3 whites
why are whites so shit at making art in 2016

anohni is a white guy transvestite

>guy

white female pop blew away black female pop this year. that list is a joke even angel olsen

The songs list is usually a mixed bag with top 40. Even going back over a decade, songs like Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson, Crazy In Love by Beyonce, Toxic by Britney Spears etc. we're in the top ten.

>this much bait in such a small thread

I doubt Pitchfork has listened to all the songs from 2016

its true although I guess I should say caucasian because then we also get ariana grande whose album absolutely blows lemonade away

Dollar Days should have been on there instead of I Can't Give Everything Away

This is true, though I think this list is more pop leaning than usual.

>only 6 blacks and a transvestite in the top 10

triggered

>rae srummed in the top 10

That's bad even for pitchfork

vocaroo.com/i/s0NFyNZ4IZ7W

toxic is a masterpiece desu

tinymixtapes.com/features/2016-favorite-50-songs

>TFW A singer you like releases an album that doesn't hold a candle to her previous stuff and everyone loves it but you.

Kill me.

wtf is it not in order?

Most of those songs are garbage but Toxic is top tier

Noisey's top ten albums is 9/10 black including garbage like coloring book and anti

>implying those aren't all bangers

Jesus Christ what an embarrassing list

It's all great

i agree her past work is so much better

I thought ULB was really good, I haven't checked the rest of the list though

>Hopelessness gets a 9.0 from Pitchfork
>Drone Bomb Me already in the top 10 music videos of 2016 for Pitchfork
>Anohni goes on a bitch fit that Pitchfork didn't put Hopelessness into one of their genre lists, going so far as to starting a mini irrational hate crusade on them
>Pitchfork releases best songs list which has Drone Bomb Me in the top 10
It was already stupid enough that she overreacted to begin with, but with the lists continuing to get published she's gonna look even dumber. Guess she was smart enough to remove that post though.

this was the most triggering aspect of the list

Those genre lists are already pretty confusing/stupid anyway. I don't really understand how they categorized them (esp wrt the Electronic and Experimental lists).

Why do people hate Work so much? It's a good song.

Kiss It Better is a far superior song

>nothing off of terminal redux is on there
why even bother

>"Milkshake"
>"Since U Been Gone"

not even the best song on Pablo, Pitchfork is a fucking joke

Swear to god if beyonce is in the top 5 and surpasses bowie................................................

they're both amazing. Also weird to think that it took Kanye 12 years to win SOTY

I think my greatest problem is that it doesn't stand alone. I feel like if you're gonna have a song on that list, it doesn't have to be a single, but it needs to stand by itself. How can someone just listen to "Ultralight Beam" and go, "Ahh, yes, that's good, now onto a different artist?" That's impossible.

I find it fascinating that despite hip hop having one of the weakest years this decade, the vast majority of the tracks are still hip hop. One of the reasons possibly being because of the number of mainstream names involved in 2016 releases. The idea of Pitchfork NOT being a mainly mainstream pop website with them talking about the occasional artsy pop release is now starting to seem more and more ridiculous. Kinda makes me wonder if they were ever that "hipster" to begin with, and not just a mainstream pop culture spot with a slight pseudo-"alt" tint all along.

Bowie's highest is at 5 Beyonce's highest is at 2.

KANye should've got number 1 for runway years ago
But I guess it's ok now

Prepare for dissappointment because this is almost certainly going to happen

adcMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAMNJAPÑUIPÑIPÑIPÑIY#WHEÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklisoklis

>Not only Beyonce is up there but FUCKING SOLANGE AS WELL

Why did I even bother?

yeah Work is probably my favorite song on the top 10 after True Love Waits

>Hannah Diamond released “Fade Away” the same day that my girlfriend’s pet ferret Hamtaro died. So this song, which uses a euphemism for a slow death as a metaphor for the gradual unraveling of a relationship, was for me inextricably linked to an actual death. While my own connection to the song didn’t align perfectly with Diamond’s lyrical intent, that didn’t invalidate it. “Fade Away” worked best to me not as a plea to a bored lover, but as a supplication to the void against the inevitability of the passing of time and the slow churn of our mortality. Rest in peace, Hammy.

better than anything on the p4k list desu

Gotta get your hands on poptimists shekels

i have a real beef with pretty well all of the artists pitchfork loves celebrating

franks oceans album was underwhelming and i think people just pretend to like it because its popular and hes a sensitive gay black man so you are a better person by telling people you like it. same shit with blood orange.

i don't get why this new wave of brainless american rappers is such a huge thing. they all sound the same and rap over the most generic beats.

""solange"", bon iver, weyes blood (??) Literally who listens to this shit lol

pretty sure weyes blood and thundercat are the most viraled artists ever so annoying

>No pneumonia
christ

Of course the radiohead fag loves rihanna

reminder that round and round robbed runaway in 2010

so? I'm not saying its better, its just my personal opinion

That's genuinely embarrassing for them.

Have Pitchfork's lists gotten worse every single year this decade? Still gotta wait on the overall album list, but it seems that way too me.

Remind me why everyone posts about Pitchfork here?

because its the end of the year

otherwise I dont and they've generally fallen off in popularity

>Weyes Blood
To be fair, I do like this one song
youtube.com/watch?v=X_UKDPR7k_E
It reminds me of comfy 70s psychedelic folk like Linda Perhacs

The day Pitchfork gave this AOTY is the day everyone without serious mental problems dropped them like a bad habit

>ultra light beam SOTY
>blurb written by jayson greene
>mentions "crumbling structures"

jesus christ

Agreed

I don't think that was a coincidence - he was almost certainly alluding to his kid's death there.

>In inner cities, the saying “when it rains, it pours” often correlates to gunshots. This is especially true in Danny Brown’s hometown.

this reminds me of that video vince staples put on genius laughing at genius annotations

pitchfork.com/thepitch/796-kanye-west-is-going-to-drop-a-brick-and-its-going-to-hurt/

Crumbling structures are going to drop a brick and it's going to hurt

it's all shit lol

get some taste kid

Nobody cares.

Nothing from the Avalanches album made the list

I'm pissed that the actual song of the year, Ain't It Funny, didn't make the list. Also, I'm kind of shocked that no Avalanches made the list (that I remember at least). Subways should have at least been in the top 30.

good

Toxic is patrician.

Dollar Days sounds too much like top40

>literally all black people music

LMAO fuck off

It'll be on their remix album list

you see because thats all Wildflower is

its fucking annoying as fuck.

the whole album is top40 actually

top 5 albums are gonna be

>lemonade
>blonde
>a seat at the table
>coloring book
>freetown sound

right?

TLoP over Freetown Sounds. Blackstar and A Moon Shaped Pool are also super likely to be in the top 5. My guess would be:

>5. Blonde
>4. A Moon Shaped Pool
>3. The Life of Pablo
>2. Coloring Book
>1. Lemonade

jesus christ couldn't they pick any other person to narrate their videos? sounds like a parody of what Sup Forums would call nu-male or cuck or something

lemonade are blackstar are going to be higher, they like to do shit like this despite their own ratings
art angels was on the 3rd place last year, but it got only 84

cranes in the sky should be #1

>true love waits and lazarus so low
I still haven't listened to anohni's record because I can't imagine her successfully becoming bjork, or whatever electronic art pop thing is supposed to happen on that record
that was an easy contender for hip hop record of the year

good taste

Should it be lower or higher?

This list is so fucking bad. Pitchfork has such an obvious and pathetic political agenda.

and what, pray tell, would that be?

>trump supporter at #1

Panda is at 56
Why do we care about pitchfork anymore?

You guys don't think that Pitchfork has an extreme liberal agenda? The only reason most of these songs are rated so high is because they were made by black people and are political songs.

I find it weird they went with drone bomb me over 4 degree, which is really the only song I like from that album, desu

You think this is proof that Pitchfork doesn't have a political agenda?

what was white female pop this year? serious im kind of out of the loop with pop

especially since they awarded Dollar Days best new track when Blackstar was released. It would most likely be there if I Can't Give Everything Away wasn't released as a single

well like I said I could just change it to caucasian to include arianna grande

huge under the radars for me are actually down unders themselves

delta goodrem
the jezabels

I mean, okay, but like what songs would you have included that they didn't? P4K has always been like popular indie and hip hop in recent years. They pretty much reflect what kind of music is popular with college kids

listened to wings and pleasure drive and thought it was nonsense, any point in me listening to the albums?

It's not so much that they didn't include songs that I would have, but it's that they rated certain songs so high just because they were political and fit in with their agenda.

>affirmative action: the list

can someone compile this years list without all the black artists? ill listen to that

What is Pitchfork's obsession with Kanye? Why are they so convinced that he's this flawless genius?

pretty much all relevant musicians are left-leaning though, so this list would have come off as "liberal" no matter what.

Its an incredibly safe option considering their target audience