There is no legitimate reason why "popular" music such as rock, pop, etc...

There is no legitimate reason why "popular" music such as rock, pop, etc. should be held in lower regard than "art" music like classical. Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>poptimists unironically believe this

There is no legitimate reason why the "angsty" poetry I wrote as a a teenager (mostly cliche-filled rant #1 about how I don't have a qt gf) should be held in lower regard than Dante's "magnum opus" the Divine Comedy. Prove me wrong.

this meme is just an copout when you don't wanna reveal that you don't like classical music

well, popular music is better than the atonal garbage created by schoenberg and his ilk, I'll give you that

So in your mind all non-classical music is comparable to immature scribblings compared to the genius of Beethoven? How ridiculous.
I like classical music, but it shouldn't be held as a "higher" than everything else.

Yes to be honest with you. If this upsets you, you need to listen to more art music.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking popular music but arguing that it deserves parity (you've not really defined what sort of parity this is) with art music has more than a whiff of an inferiority complex about it, where you seek validation for your listening choices from some sort of higher authority.

i think it depends on the context though
some listeners unashamedly hold pop music above art music and they're free to do that but in terms of technical compositional interest or whatever they're obviously not the same

But you can't justify it in any rational way. It sounds like you yourself have some complex if you think the things *you* like are inherently superior to the things that other people like.

it's shit

music made for a lower common denominator, with accessibility in mind, is different from music that requires more musical "training" to understand and appreciate.

Art music is academically much more interesting than popular music, so musicians and people with theorical and deep musical knowledge or interest will usually spent far more time studying it, which eventually will flourish into a deeper appreciation for it.
That's just it, if you like pleb garbage no one will really care.

The definition of art music is that it is music with advanced structural and theoretical considerations. By definition, art music is more complex than popular music. Does that make it better? Not necessarily, but it does make it far more interesting if you actually want to look at any given piece beyond the immediate aesthetic reaction popular music is tailored to exploit.

Of course you can seek solace in the ever-faithful "subjectivity" of experience, but it doesn't reflect too well on your argument if you're not prepared to defend popular music beyond reverting to that.

Is Lumpy Gravy or The Shape of Jazz to Come, written for the lowest common denominator?

What is the purpose of music aside from its aesthetic reaction? Do you listen to Stockhausen and think, "Boy, this is some good theoretical consideration"? This hyperrationalistic view of art fundamentally rejects its inherently emotional nature.

>dude jazz lmao
No, even mainstream pop music for little girls is better than niggers on heroin making doot doot sounds

Why not both? They complement each other.

Sounds pretty legit

The first album he mentioned was written by a jew though.

>This hyperrationalistic view of art fundamentally rejects its inherently emotional nature.
you seem to be the only one arguing they are mutually exclusive, fuckin pleb

Not "all" but yes, the greats such as Beethoven and Mozart, are in a different league to most other artists, nevermind you run of the mill indie-pop album or whatever
It's why their music has endured so long

>ever falling for populist music
It's like you're a fascist or something. Did you also vote for Trump kiddo?

Free jazz is hardly popular music.

A mix of races, including Italian, Arabic, and Greek, but not Jewish. I would label Zappa as "American."

I want Sup Forums to leave.

But anyways. How about Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Liberation Music Orchestra (by Charlie Haden, a white man)? Both fantastic melodic symphonies with soulful instrumentation, neither of them anywhere close to just "doot doot" sounds. Or did you not think out your pseudo-ironic racism enough to justify it?

>How about Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Funny thing Mingus wanted to be a classical composer but they didn't let him because he was black.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

You both seem to think the emotions put into a song are illegitimate if it's not played by a symphony.

Critics initially thought the novel as a form of literary expression was pleb shit compared to classically-inspired poetry. Don Quixote was first seen as "low" in the same way that jazz was when it first appeared.

>You both seem to think the emotions put into a song are illegitimate if it's not played by a symphony.
What the fuck are you talking about.

Should we just leave you to argue with yourself? You don't seem to be able to read what is being said

my friends in art school say this mess
and i always tell them the same thing. your subjective opinion means nothing if i don't care about it :)

Wow, this devil-may-care attitude really makes you seem like a badass and intimidating dude

paul?

>stem fag, bretty good with all sorts of science shit
>always wanted to make music
>absolutely terrible at it, can't make any progress

its killing me guys. I just want to make music, but I don't think I have the mind for it. What do?

why do i see so many posts like this? Sup Forums loves pop music, there is no way you can call this board smug "hipsters" or "indie" folks. this place is pop central.

holly herndon is a stemfag and makes good stuff
make electronic shit

get into serialism, you can make the music with your calculator

So by your logic, a teenage girl taste is not inferior than yours