Has any artist had a more radical change in style than Scott Walker?

Has any artist had a more radical change in style than Scott Walker?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NXhD1dDSVj4
youtube.com/watch?v=umPno5AkZ5M
youtube.com/watch?v=r5hvHEBLNpI
youtube.com/watch?v=kSXaThENZ3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=SOp1LaWBrQo
youtube.com/watch?v=sax-BlhYHus
youtube.com/watch?v=Q11ium_-Lv8
youtube.com/watch?v=J6XPXC-AKZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=CUS1XDIIhTE
youtube.com/watch?v=2Ih7KzKLLWA
youtube.com/watch?v=h3PHnLR_LWk
youtube.com/watch?v=eL03lUj89oY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was thinking about this topic the other day, and probably not.

But what are some other artists that have had similar changes? I'm curious to know

I've been getting into Elvis Costello a lot lately, and I think I can safely say he's one of the few artists to have a New Wave, Country, Classical, Rhythm & Blues and Funk album to his name

Eno.

Well....

U2 for an artist that has continously been in the mainstream spotlight

Ulver

Yes but all the experimentation they did could easily appeal to a wider audience. As wild as it was it was it still is something that infiltrated mainstream media and doesn't seem too out of place. look at Eno's use in popular film and how Bowie's still played on the radio, daytime tv etc

Can't imagine Bisch Bosch or Climate of the Hunter featuring on Top of Pops 2 anytime soon

also lol at this guy

yeah but his change was less drastic. I dont see an already adventurous artist branching out gradually to the point that they have lots of genres under their belt as "radical change". you could never tell from the way people like tom waits and scott walker that theyd turn out the way that they did

I guess we can safely say he's /ourguy/...

again the range that Ulver do is interesting, but it doesn't go from 3 guys making pop music been seen as teen heartthrobs to slapping meat in a finely tuned room

>incredibly good looking
>god like talent
>sex with 100s of models
>total alcoholic / nutter
>creative and hardworking
>lives with his longterm sexy swedish wife in suburbs of west london

yeah totally sounds like a Sup Forumstant

But user, this is literally me
Also, I didn't think he was an alcoholic, I thought he just drank a lot, and he seems quite well adjusted for the most part, not a nutter

Talk Talk? They went from a synth pop to a post rock, experimental band.

Radiohead, they went from making the best rock album ever and then made the best electronic album ever, the madmen

he didn't even change that radically, though

he just added heavier instrumentation and reverb, and removed some of the orchestration; i.e. with a few tweaks this opening could easily fit onto The Drift:
youtube.com/watch?v=NXhD1dDSVj4

I mean you have a point but to imply that this change was out of the blue is a bit of an exaggeration, I mean consider what he was doing on Nite Flights while still with the walker brothers

>incredibly good looking
He's good looking but not crazily hot, as in conventional standards that is.

>god like talent
can't argue with that

>sex with 100s of models
what?

>total alcoholic / nutter
he did struggle with alcohol but I wouldn't call him a nutter at all

>creative and hardworking
can't argue with that. takes a fucking decade to put out an album but still works hard.

>lives with his longterm sexy swedish wife in suburbs of west london
what?

>he just added heavier instrumentation and reverb, and removed some of the orchestration
What? He completely shifted his genre and went avant-garde seemingly overnight. Although, a year is like a decade in Scott Walker time.

Talk Talk
From Synthpop to Post-Rock

Nike Anderson going from Left Hand Path to the Hellacopters is pretty stark

started listening to Jacques Brel because of him
godly stuff

Was just about to post this. Mark Hollis grew enormously as an artists over time

Coincidentally Scott and Hollis are two of all time favorites

Scott's my favorite artist but I have never given Talk Talk a listen. Is it as good as everyone touts it to be? Should I start with the synthpop?

No just listen to Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock

kanye every couple of years

kek. yeah, him. not his music, though.

Miles Davis
Kendrick Lamar
The Avalanches
(did it multiple times)

Scott just went lush baroque pop, to shit nobody in the 80's, then just full on experimentation mode from the 90's onwards

And '50s teen pop youtube.com/watch?v=umPno5AkZ5M

>John Lennon
from Buddy Holly ripoff to Revolution 9 & Two Virgins (only 5 years later).

>Ulver
from basic Black-Metal to whatever they're doing now (Dark Ambient, Modern Classical, Experimental, Avant-Garde, Electronic, Drone, etc)

Where should I start with Scott Walker?

Talk Talk is one of the bands where you don't really have to listen in order, but hearing the evolution in their sound is interesting. If you want you can listen to

>Spirit of Eden
>Laughing Stock
>Mark Hollis self titled

Colour of Spring is also really good.

their music definitely declined in commercial viability but it wasn't that radical of a change. The Colour of Spring was definitely a transitional record - similar instrumentation, similar textures, similar melodic progressions to their last 2 albums

they just slowed it down and progged it up. definitely nowhere near as bizarre as Scott Walker resurfacing as an avant-garde art pop guy.

Anywhere is good honestly. His old stuff is a lot different from his avant-garde stuff. Scott 4 is a great place to start.

If you want to jump into his experimental stuff, start with Tilt, then The Drift, Bish Bosch and Soused

this is p spooky

The Drift is the ultimate spoop album

Lou Reed went from Satellite of Love to Metal Machine Music to Metalica .

Just found something interesting. A little live performance clip of Scott, complete with a nigga punching a dead pig as percussion.

youtube.com/watch?v=kSXaThENZ3Q

That's not really a huge change

Bigger change is Killing Joke going from post-punk to ndustrial metal

This is like a nightmare

Everyone go home, you can't top this

youtube.com/watch?v=SOp1LaWBrQo

youtube.com/watch?v=sax-BlhYHus

Genre: Black Metal (early), Dance Pop/Nu-Metal (later)
Lyrical themes: Satanism, Anti-Christianity, Darkness, War (early), Sex, Love, Feelings (later)

So he went from shit, to ironic shit, to literal shit?

Yeah, the song Clara from The Drift (one of my favorites) has the sound of someone punching meat, which they actually did while recording. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to symbolise, in this case in terms of sound, the bodies of Benito Mussolini and his lover Clara Petacci, whose lifeless bodies we hung upside down in the center of Milan and beaten, spit, and urinated on by the crowd of people. Are you sure that's a live performance though? It doesn't sound like Scott.

skip to 2:00

Blackstar definitely had some Scott Walker influence.

Give this a listen: youtube.com/watch?v=Q11ium_-Lv8

Then listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=J6XPXC-AKZ0

Then this: youtube.com/watch?v=CUS1XDIIhTE

Then listen to all ten minutes of Epizootics!: youtube.com/watch?v=2Ih7KzKLLWA

Now listen to Scott 4 first. Then either Scott 2 or Scott 3. Then Scott. Skip all the '70s-'80s stuff. Listen to Tilt, The Drift, and Bish Bosch. Then Climate of the Hunter and Nite Flights. After all that you can listen to some of the '70s stuff if you want to, which you will find more respect for after listening to everything else.

Bowie's always had some Scott Walker influence. This song especially.
youtube.com/watch?v=h3PHnLR_LWk

There's no question about that. After all, he covered Nite Flights.

youtube.com/watch?v=eL03lUj89oY