I work as a telemarketer. Ask me anything

I work as a telemarketer. Ask me anything

How do you feel when I answer, act all interested and keep you on the line a long time, then just hang up and you get no commission and I have wasted a bunch of your time?

Why do you always call when my grandparents are eating?
Don't get me wrong, it's funny as fuck. I just want to know why you do it.

It's incredibly frustrating when things like this happen. For example, in my place of work we have to read a disclaimer at the very end of the phone call and nothing frustrate me more than some faggot hanging up mid-way through my reading of it. Not fun.

How is the sad crushing defeat of opening your eyes every morning?

Are you making outbound calls or receiving incoming calls?

Most companies now use auto-dialing systems to achieve a connection with someone on the phone. Can't tell you much about what goes on behind the scenes but I can imagine it just dials a shit-ton of people until someone picks up. Pure chance that we call at that time.

Both. Typically speaking, however, inbound calls are more common.

Outbound* rather.

How do you feel when i talk down to you, tell you that you have no idea what you are doing, demand to speak to a supervisor, only for them to say the same fucking thing you did, but i like the way they said it better, and hate you?

How is India?

To be honest, it can be humorous when you get connected with a condescending douchebag. It's much better than someone wasting your time on the line and you can really just go "Alright, we'll call back later." Or something similar and they'll get even more pissed off.

Really, this kind of behavior doesn't bother me.

I'm not affiliated with a tech support company.

Do you live in Indiana?
Do you work at teleservices?

1. No.
2. No.

Can you do other stuff while talking on the phone?

I'm trying to start a movement of beating Telemarketers within inches of death as they leave work just to reduce the telemarketer calls. I'm one guy, I can't make a difference alone.

lucky son of a bitch. i WISH i could do that, but unfourtunately att wont let us.

Only asked because I had a similar job.
How's your commission? I made 6-800 a month commission selling cable and Internet

I do that too. I'd prefere teleporting there and ripping out their tongue in front of their coworkers to make the job look horrible while maiming them for life... but I at least waste their time with what I can actually do.

If getting a phone call you can ignore bothers you that fucking much you should get some help user.
Not OP, just think you have some repressed anger from being such a faggot

The rules of the workplace say I can't, but realistically no one would find out or care if you browsed the web a bit between calls. I tend to play Solitaire during my entire shift.

What if Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on your door 3-6 times a day instead of once in a blue moon? Telemarketers are collectively the same thing as that.

Commission isn't awful. You get a base pay and, depending on how many people you convince to go through with our service, you can earn a decent amount more. Not too hard to earn that bonus amount.

>kek

As long as you sound genuine about it and not like an asshole, no one will call you out on it here. Makes for some funny reactions.

Please do a workplace shooting... just to reduce the number of annoying calls your company does for a day or two. That is the best public service you can do.

Just a tip, ask to be put on the "Do Not Call" list. Legally speaking, if they keep calling you after a while, you can sue their asses.

How does it feel to be one of the most hated legally employed people known?

I'd rather not ruin my life and disappoint my family members, but perhaps I'll cut the power to the place, just for you ;).

You ever have phone sex with someone on the job?

I ask every time. I am also aware that the company using that telemarketer company just has another telemarketer company call you next time. Temporary corporations exist... not as bad as temporary emails spammers do, but they do.

Honestly, it feels great. I never thought I would be making a living by annoying the fuck out of innocent people. Do I think it's the best job in the world? No, but I like to think of it as "Prank calling for money"

Two questions
>how many people do you call a day?
>how many people actually pick up?

Closest I've ever gotten to that was when some guy said he was gay and said I could come over his place anytime. Other than that, no.

>and disappoint my family members
Your family members probably have experienced enough telemarketing calls to have more than a couple consider you a hero.

How many people do actually still call to buy your things?

My dialer connects me to about 150 people a day (I only work four hours). It's hard to say how many people dont pick up the phone because the dialer skips the people who don't answer.

You make a good point, but a lot of the people working there really aren't fans of calling a shit-ton of people (unlike me) and actually show some compassion for the other person on the line.

Out of the ~150 people I get connected with, only 8-16 people are actually willing to use our service.

Would you eat ass with shit flakes to get a promotion?

Depends on what I'm being promoted to and how much more I'd be making.

You people are why I am considering making my home phone line a 900 number that charges $5 to connect and $1 per minute connected. I would spend a lot of time just chatting with useless calls like yours if I did that.

Thing is, we can see the number right on our screen and if it really became an issue, management would probably instruct us to take those 900 numbers off our list.

I used to be a cunt to telemarketers when I was a kid but then I developed empathy and realised if you're in that job you're probably not getting paid much and struggling as it is so I stopped

My question is, do you ever actually get affected by the amount of rejection and people giving you shit? Or do you just develop a thick skin after a week or so?

It can be a bit irritating if you're just getting a ton of shitty people for calls and not a lot of people request the service, but if you're ahead of the game and have a bit of time to spare, it can be comedy relief from having to act professional around the clock.

If you can't handle rejection, telemarketing isn't the field for you.

Is telemarketing a career you feel you're going to/want to stay in or is it just for money?

Ultimately, I don't want to stay in this career for my entire life. I'm pretty good at what I do, and I have a good voice for it, but the pay isn't magnificent and I'd like to cause a more positive change in the world instead of potentially ruining someone's whole day.

If I was offered a position in management or IT, I'd stay. But just being an agent for the rest of my life isn't what I had in mind for my future and I have bigger dreams than telemarketing.

What brand of dialer do you use?

Ytel

Whenever I don't recognize the number, I answer in my "Answering Machine Voice" with my little script. I don't think they even make anwering machines anymore. You guys usually hang up on me. Those of you who wait for the beep, which I do with my little noise box I keep by the phone, I switch my voice to "Messege Box Full" and hang up.

When I hear anything that sounds like an answering machine, I hang up almost immediately.

Also, I'll be answering questions for five more minutes. I'm probably going to go to bed soon as it's almost 5AM

Not OP but long time IT admin of dialers... Answering machine detection is what you are hearing. It measures speed of answer and voice cadence to guess if it is an answering machine. If it thinks you are voicemail or answering machine it hangs up and trys calling again later...

So some of those hang ups weren't a frustrated human. :(
Thanks for taking some of the fun out of my doing that.

OP here, backing this. If there were no AM detection, I'd be dealing with a lot more calls.

Yeah, it literally says hmmm answering machine, I will try again in 3-4 hours and they might be home. These dialers are incredibly powerful. Like
OP said he gets 150 calls a shift. The dialer has made at least calls on his behalf and only connected the 150 that answered and is was not an answering machine. The slight pause when getting connected to the caller is the answering machine detection.

Sorry made at least 1500 calls on OP's behalf

How do you live with yourself?