/dsd/ - Dungeon Synth December

Greek Edition

>"Dungeon Synth is a genre of music characterized by its strong use of atmosphere and melody to create a sonic reality usually pertaining, in concept, to the fantastic or historical periods. The genre draws influence from the Dark Ambient music genre, while encompassing musical structures that are relatable to medieval and folk music."

Cernunnos - Δάσος Των Τραγοπόδαρων Δαιμόνων (1998)
youtube.com/watch?v=v1UEmyE5BzU

Other urls found in this thread:

lordlovidicus.bandcamp.com/album/kyndill-og-steinn
adhurim.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/watch?v=4ChmSRKf94k
soundcloud.com/user-705039562/sets/haugbui
youtube.com/watch?v=7YTmmEn4FZY
soundcloud.com/free_horse/the-feast
youtube.com/watch?v=p99R2G2QowA
youtube.com/watch?v=fzgQF_bUpKk
youtube.com/watch?v=CQq21TDJT-E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this is breddy gud
lordlovidicus.bandcamp.com/album/kyndill-og-steinn

to whoever makes this
adhurim.bandcamp.com
keep it going, this is pure gold

What is this, like witch house? Stop making up genres.

Yeah, this is brilliant. Not a fan of the bm stuff but the ds is super comfy.

This genre is older than you, buddy.

yes it's like witch house
it's shit and not good at all
patricians like you can't enjoy it

This is some runescape shit

You're retarded

Posting this again since I enjoyed it

This genre is about 15 years older than witch house, "friend".

Agreed. His shit is great

Stop fagging up Dungeon Synth, it was good when it was kvlt. Now it's just going to be another ironic hipster genre

what do you mean fagging it up? we're just talking about it user. the threads will disappear next month anyway. stop being a tryhard

This is a comfy genre. I like how it feels haunting because it gives me that bit of dread feeling I love.

tempted to start cassette collecting.

Not for you to decide

Lord Lovidicus - Kyndill og Steinn

youtube.com/watch?v=4ChmSRKf94k

oh already posted. I agree though, its one of the albums that got me into the genre along with Burzum and Depressive Silence

Kero Kero Bonito!

soundcloud.com/user-705039562/sets/haugbui
>sequenced dungeon synth
>not hi-fi, not for casual listeners

You guys are groovy. I don't want feedback, I just want the few entities who may enjoy this sort of thing to hear it.

>the throne of slime

I had something more along the lines of Juiblex in mind, but You Can't Do That On Television was a childhood staple of mine, man.

where can i find more spooky dungeon pixel art wallpapers like this?

You have some comfy ideas in ur music mane but the synths seem pretty loud and a little jarring for my taste, could be just me tho. You should aim to release more for sure

Do it. It's much more exhilarating than collecting other physical media in that cassette runs will appear very suddenly in incredibly small numbers, then disappear forever.

Post your skellys

Update: Spoke to a guy from Unborn Productions, he says they're remastering Depressive Silence II (just released on vinyl as Mourning) for digital and releasing it soon.

Valor - La Lune Noire

Now thats good Dungeon Synth!

youtube.com/watch?v=7YTmmEn4FZY

>where can i find more spooky dungeon pixel art wallpapers like this?

I happened to find that one on /vr/. Keep an eye out for pixel art threads.

??? do you have any proof i love that album so much

dafuq is this?

Oblivion is very underrated. The dungeons have a great kvlt vibe; one mission that always comes to mind is that one where you have to fight the hunters in that island castle dungeon.

I just emailed him. You can see for yourself the vinyl edition is selling out at the moment.

Have any of your cassettes had like the tape snap or anything? That worries me a bit

just tape it back together

Oh that's doable? Well that's good at least

soundcloud.com/free_horse/the-feast

I keep trying to make things with medieval vibes but I can't really use DAWs that well. I got some crappy yamaha keyboards though.

Should dungeon synth not be made with hardware instruments? Should I just try to use a DAW?

the OP music is cradling my mind like gentle gentle digital faun hands rubbing my scalp
exquisite

I wanna try MIDI stuff but I dont really know where to start. I'm reading up on that.

youtube.com/watch?v=p99R2G2QowA

Forest March is so bizarre, but it seriously gave me the biggest laugh this month

normally post in /bleep/ and had p much given up on mu but this is fucking excellent, Valorian Twilight is awesome. Going to sample the fuck out of this youtube.com/watch?v=fzgQF_bUpKk

Nice find! Too bad about the quality though.

Not really played them enough for that to be a possibility, but as a kid I don't recall it happening ever really.

Thank you, it's not supposed to be 100% serious

How does one go about getting tapes made?

just get blank tapes and make a rip

This, most of the DS tapes I've bought are random old albums with the labels scratched off.

learning a lot about composition and that in general while making DS. It feels like I'm directing a 90s video game symphony

King's Field is hard as shit. But the atmosphere is great.

Posting a current favourite of mine.

I would highly recommend you all listen to this asap

How exactly does one go about making DS? Do you just need a midi keyboard and a DAW/VST? How exactly do they work?

listening to this now user - beautiful intro

Great album. Strong contender for DSAOTY.

it looks like a recommendation chart for introducing people to black metal

i couldn't name any other 2016 releases (as I'm new to DS), but this is one of my albums of the year full stop.

Blows my mind how good this genre can be. Takes me back to watching Conan and old shitty fantasy movies in the 80's as a kid.

I've only beaten the first (US) release last year finally, easily on of my favorite of all time. The Souls games are fun and all but I've been itching for a new kf entry.

is this Dungeon Synth?

you just need a DAW like FL studio and any cheap vst or soundfont. I find the more mechanical sounding the better rather than live playing

this is black metals brother genre, being lo-fi is never a bad thing

Wasn't there talk of a new Tyrannus release in the last thread? Doesn't the artist himself post here?

Solanum - Spheres of Time

This is from one of the dudes of Depressive Silence. It's like a spiritual successor with a more spacey feel.
I wasn't aware it existed until recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=CQq21TDJT-E

fuck yeah
Oblivion the comfiest game

DO you do this by plugging just right into like the microphone port of the tape recorder? I guess I have all the equipment I just don't know if that works

Yeah I'm not going to be able to do that until like the very end of the year or beginning of January. I listen to dungeon synth any month so if people are still interested come January then it should be ready. You guys wanna keep these threads up year round if we can?

Also if I can get this tape ripping setup going then I'll make some tapes

It gives the game such a good atmosphere too. I went to the lighthouse in Anvil and was pretty spooked searching for the guy because of knowing what's in the basement.

Thanks man, I haven't worked on this project for a while but Im feeling pretty inspired with the feedback

Can confirm this was pretty great too user.

Well done.

How many copies of a cassette would you recommend making if you're a pretty no-name artist?

Made to order is probably the best idea.

Perfect amount for if you become a big name, they'll gain value.

Okay that sounds good to me. I'm playing around with my tape recorder now and I don't want to make a lot of these rn haha

I say that because it's what I've seen small bandcamps do. Unless you plan on selling them somewhere in real life.

Depends on if you are involving a third party/who it is. If you have the materials and ability to dub, is not a bad idea depending on the volume of orders. If using the third party, tapes are relatively cheap so 50-100 should be plenty if you're confident in the release.

Ah yikes I'm just recording them all myself

Id buy a Tyrannus cassette

Yeah I'm working on making them now. I just recorded my first copy on a blank tape I had

Okay the first copy has been officially made. I'm going to make like three since I don't really have many blank tapes rn then tomorrow I'll print out the album art and then put it up on bandcamp. If those three copies sell then I can make a bit more later on or something but this is what I'm doing for now, if anyone's interested

which album?

I'm doing Kingdom but if people want I can put Solitude on the B side although that's sort of a pain

Is it true you are doing a collaboration album with Chaucerian Myth?

This is news to me although if Mr. Myth we're to reach out to me I'd be down. Man I'm not sure where these rumors start

*were to

there was a pagoda mast thread

Yeah that turned out really shitty, assuming you mean that "hey guys do you like noise" thread. I didn't start that...and I ended up being called a meme...but I mean it wasn't all bad I guess. It's exposure? Anyway did that rumor emerge in that thread or something? Just curious

Anyone have a link to download Taur-nu-Fuin by Thangorodrim in 320 kbps and splitted in three tracks?. Somehow I purchased the one-track version of the album and I would like to have the three songs' versions.

Thank you fellow friends.

I do not but maybe slsk? If not you can break it up yourself in theory

Here they are folks. Tomorrow I'm going to print out the album art and side labels then they'll be complete

comfy

Yes.

I'm finally actually checking out Chaucerian Myth and holy fuck. The Reeve's Tale may be one of my favorite DS tracks ever

The Wife of Bath's Tale is my personal favourite.

Ah that one will be on in a bit. I'd probably be there right now if I didn't keep going back

Ooh yeah this track is pretty good so far

Why are so many great DS artists from like random midwestern states and stuff? For something with such a European feel it has a lot of prominent American artists

Within genres , influence can happen anywhere, but inspiration only happens in specific places.