/chess/

Carlsen leads again edition.

Who can stop him now?

Other urls found in this thread:

chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/gelfand-inarkiev-match-2016/3/1/3
ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1503707
ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1500015
mattogpatt.no/2016/04/27/visually-handicapped-norwegian-gets-two-year-ban-chess-cheating/
bilbaochess2016.com/masters-final-live/
chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/czech-open-gm-2016/1/1/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

oh you made a new bread, great job senpai.

i'm joining here.

btw last two breads were deleted while still active.

per Carlsen, I'm rly bored of his dominance, I'd be happy if anyone could stop him.

I miss the time when you did not know the winner of tournaments in advance.

no one can stop him
I'm not convinced any of the babbies will be able to do it either in the next few years
That game against nakamura where he did f3 and fucked everything up was weird though, maybe he's getting complacent

fuck off newfag

thx for your informative and thoughtful comment

actually, I've already tried that but this is totally the wrong place for chess.

also, chess is a sport just in case you are another victim of american education.

i second the motion

based MVL

resurrecting Lasker and his cigar would be an option, but I don't see Nakamura desu- Carlsen owns him psychologically

Can you explain why Carlsen played f3 here then? Was he just memeing?
I'm not seeing what the endgame is.

seems easy, I should get back to you in a few hours

chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/gelfand-inarkiev-match-2016/3/1/3

desu, Im not strong enough a player to explain the moves of GMs but from what I saw online, he probably overestimated the impact of pushing his K-side pawns, prolly hoping to get the g-pawn by putting the bishop on c1 (some analysts expected Nakamura to play g5 first to stop the push)

Gelfand has just beaten Inarkiev

this. he has improved a lot this year.
Also Giri in a few years.

>muh ioc

fuck off

time for the real existential questions

capablanca or alekhin?

Wei Yi will be a serious problem in a few years as well.

Last one I saw was just archived.

Anyway.
Yeah.

Prime Fischer would stand a good chance 2bh.

do you think magnus is developing racist tendencies toward asians

>archived
progress!

now the problem...

ehm... the obvious way to mate is Ne4 but black can delay this by 4 moves... any hint?

did Carlsen play with a time disadvantage?

I do hope the Chinese dude kicks his ass

autismgrid isn't a sport u chip

we still have memes Nigel

+ it's lame to be bitter after all these years that garry kicked your ass

getting late time to sleep

see you soon mates

Carlsen is rated nearly 500 points higher than him (2855 vs. 2372), so they had to give him some type of handicap.

Wei Yi will be a total beast.

Ha. wouldn't have thought, but he's not very good at it. not his cashcow, but stll, hes fumbling pieces, and even stupidly looses a pawn in the end

He's obviously on 30 sec, but his opponent didn't take his time advantage, and played as fast as he could

Alekhin if they suddenly come together to play a few. Casablanca was end gamer that neglected openings, so Alekhin would destroy him early on. Casablanca, would evolve if given time to know his opposition though.

>Casablanca

but I agree Zizek, I love muh Alekhin

we need more chess memes

this one is for you chaval

This is very autist on my part, but I do re-post the endgame problem

find how black wins

>any hint?
Ne4 isn't the mate you're initially aiming for.

Maybe that's how Russians spell his name.

GIRI
I
R
I

Russians spell it Кaпaблaнкa/Kapablanka

I got 1...Qd7+ 2. Kg2 Qc6+ but then I'm stuck between 3. Kh3 and 3. Kf2.

Thanks for the heads up.

Who Monkey's Bum here?

inb4 >2016 >playing anything other than c5 or c6 in response to e4

thanks for the hint, I'll take another look at it.

Regarding Raul, I am not sure if you are kidding. Casablanca is a city in Morocco. The Russian spelling of Capablanca is Кaпaвлaнкa.
A nice trivia btw, is that Russians often mispronounce Aлeхин as Aлёхин. I myself always misspell his name in Latin- Alekhine instead of Alekhin makes sense only for French speakers really- to avoid the nasalization of the -in.

cпacибo тoв. Жижeк.

ehm good one.
To begin with, at the initial position, my program gives -6.25.
Both lines lose, but 3.Kh3 loses faster.
hint for the Kh3 line: with his third move black both removes the threat of a mate to his king and creates starts an attack on the white king.

On the other hand, in the case of 3. kf2 you only have to see two moves ahead.

to be precise- both lines lose *fast*. the difference is rather that 3.kh3 is worse - if you can use this term for a lost position.

Why did the Jews constantly hound and undermine Bobby Fischer his whole life?

and that's when the OGs enter the bread

lichess anyone?

>I am not sure if you are kidding
I really had no idea 2bh.

3. Kh3 Qc8+ 4. Kg2 Rc1 (threat d1Q) 5. Qd2 Rxh1 6. Qxd2 and Black is a rook up, yeah. The actual hard one is 3. Kf2.

>if you can use this term for a lost position.
You can. In some winning positions, there are moves which are only moves that keep the win. Better moves for the losing side not only increase the number of moves needed to keep the win, they also increase such only moves that the winning side has to make, making winning harder. Because the winning side still has to play the right moves to keep the win, and they can still make mistakes which can change the situation again.

So in short, a better move for the losing side maximises the chance of the opponent making mistakes.

>autismgrid
>Le get deleted before limit because chess is not a sport threads
>Three posters circlejerking endlessly

Fucking end it m8

>chess is not a sport
>Mexican education
Also most of the previous threads got archived before bump limit.

>3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw

What the fuck is this shit

>chess is a sport

Only a retarded tripfag would think that. I bet you think darts or beer pong are a sport too.

>Who can stop him?
01001000001001011101001001110101111100101010000010011010100111111010111101000100111001001111100100100111100100010000100111001111010011111111111100101001010001010

To stave off draw deaths. Chess arguably needs it more than divegrass does.

So the IOC is full of retarded tripfags? :^)

Bilbao has been 75% draws so far, so the system is not really efficient

Black wants to draw. White to move is not obliged to let him. No immediate mate though.

I didn't say it'll work. But it is clearly an attempt to do so.

> 3.Kh3 Qc8+ 4. Kg2 Rc1 (threat d1Q)

This is correct in the sense that White wins. (desu I am not sure what you mean by 4.Qd2: the White Queen technically cannot go there).
Still this is not the 'best' continuation 3.Kh3. Best 3...g5. Can you work out the rest?

About the other line (1...Qd7+ 2. Kg2 Qc6+ 3. Kf2)

I had given quite a big hint the other time... I'll repeat it more subtly now: the solution involves the promotion of the pawn. Once you see this, the rest is easy.

btw, I'm sorry, I confused you for a Slovenian we had previously in the thread; in such small size the flags are hard to tell apart.

I also feel uncomfortably with the soccer rating for wins and draws.

1. Rc8+ Kxc8
2.b7+ Kb8
3. c4 Kc7
4. bxa8 =N+

jk promotes to queen

no one cares about your opinion on chess colombiano. perdon corazon.

why not brazileiro?

Fistball is a sport of European origin. It is similar to volleyball in that players try to hit a ball over a net. The current men's fistball World Champion is Germany, winners of both the 2011 World Championships and the fistball category at the 2013 World Games.

>White wins
You mean Black right?

>4.Qd2
I meant Qd3 there, my bad.

>the solution involves the promotion of the pawn
I got 3...d1N+ (d1Q results in 4. Qb8+ Qc8 5. Qxc8+ Rxc8 6. Rxd1) then got stuck between 4. Qxd1 and 4 Rxd1 followed by Rc2+ 5. Qxc2 (forced, else the queen will mate), leaving Black with material advantage of queen for rook. Of the four king moves allowed:
-4. Kf1 or 4. Ke1 results in Qxh1+, winning the rook,
-4. Ke2 results in Nc3+, winning the queen.

I'm still not sure how Black can win against 4. Kg1, although being a knight up should be a good enough advantage.

Promotion to queen results in stalemate right away.

>carlsenwinslol

Oops.
5. Qxc2 Qxc2+

One of few people Norwegians can be proud of

Giri on suicide watch

>chess
>sport

Yeah, no

It is though.

just push the b pawn, take his rook, by promotion then mate him with rook to c8.

it's a forced mate...

1. b7 dxc6

Is it better to use one opening you know or try to remember more of them?

I have one main, and two more in my pocket for white; responses to most major opening for black. Pic related- was my dream

>you mean black
yep
>Qd3
correct then
>3.d1N+ 4.Qxd1 Rc2+ 5.Qxc2
yayyyy
>stalemate
promotion to rook is stalemate too and the Knight has nowhere to go... which leaves me to pic related

Ibsen though (not that I have read any of his works)

+ lots of cool vikings

and I would suspect Sweden 'stole' many of your intellectuals during the Union.

Anyway, back to topic, any other good Norwegian chess players?

What if White plays 4. Kg1 though?

Yeah, promotion to bishop is correct.

At the higher level it's better to remember more since your opponent will be way more likely to have prepared for your openings. At lower levels like club chess it's probably sufficient to use a single opening which you're good at.

Enki Bilal has some fun stuff on chess boxing

memorizing is to some extent necessary - be careful though to fully understand why you play every move.

esp. at the beginning I would try to build a repertoire, ie have a solid opening line to the most usual openings and not experiment too wildly until I feel comfortably with what I am doing.

The typical advice is also to go for 'tactical' openings at the beginning, like the King's opening instead of more closed, strategic ones.

Hope this makes sense.

I take it you mean 4.Kb8

by process of elimination again the only reasonable move is

4...Bb7
5. Kb7 Kxa7

Yeah, White will win after that.

But when I said Kg1 I was referring to the puzzle you gave, as in what happens after 1. Qb1 2. Qd7+ Qc6+ 3. Kf2 d1N+ 4. Kg1. I still haven't figured that out yet.

Okay how the fuck did I mess that up. Let's try again.
1. Qb1 2. Kg2 Qd7+ 3. Kf2 d1N+ 4. Kg1.

God fucking damn it.

1. Qb1 Qd7+ 2. Kg2 Qc6+ 3. Kf2 d1N+ 4. Kg1.

I am talking about today though, and athletes

Norway got a lot of people and history to be proud of historically. Norway was already established as a modern nation before the union, but Denmark "stole" some (they were called Danish-Norwegian) at that time. Today we have reclaimed most of them lol.

Hamsun before Ibsen really. Had he not supported Nazi-Germany, he would be the called the greatest Norwegian author. One of the best in the world historically in my subjective opinion. He got a great story around him too. You should really his works and a good biography about him.

He was young when Ibsen/Bjornson/Kielland/Lie dominated. He went on a pretty huge meetings where both Ibsen and Bjornson attended (they were REALLY huge, in politics too) and called their characters "tin soldiers". Again, had he not been a Nazi, he would have gotten a lot more recognition.

I'm not really a BIG follower of chess and almost all of media coverage is on Carlsen obviously, but we got Simen Agdestein which would have been good if he focused on chess (pretty old guy). I think he is coaching/mentoring Carlsen.

And Jon Ludvig Hammer;
ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1503707

ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1500015

lmao

And I thought you were confused; the irony

ehm yes, this is a position that came up in an online and I noticed it in analysis - I missed my tactical chance at the game; though it looks pretty decided for white, it's messy in a funny way.

The thing is that 4.Kg1 is a funny cheap shot in case black is distracted as white threatens mate in 1.

I would prolly move the -h pawn.

Now after that, unless White takes the Knight, Black still threatens mate with Rc2. I just checked with the program, and all moves except Qxd1 allow Rc2 and mate.

the only exceptions are 5.h5 6.h4
but then after 6...Qf3 black both protects the knight and threatens mate.

and 5...h5 6.h3 which according to my program is a mate in 9 (in case you wanna try finding that)

>I am talking about today though, and athletes

ah OK then

I would think you should be good in winter sports, although I have no clue about them rly

btw, was it you who had this posted the blind who was cheating with an audio device and got suspended?

about knut hamsun i had no clue he had been tried for treason

speaking of which, Dahl's book on Quisling was a rly great read... I'm kinda surprised how he skipped Hamsun, since he did cover the pro-Nazi movement in Norway at some length.

We are really good in Winter sports, but that's not really a international sport. We can brag when we meet Swedes lol.

>btw, was it you who had this posted the blind who was cheating with an audio device and got suspended?
No?

Hamsun was not really a hardcore Nazi, he was just a nationalist and hated the Brits (because of WW1 blockades). He actually met with Hitler (Hitler was a huge fan of him) - and it's said that Hitler stormed out of the meeting lol.

>white threatens mate in 1.
lolno
It's just trading queens and relieving pressure on White's king. Looks legit otherwise though, thanks.

Also since you said in an earlier thread that Qa1-b1 was a mistake, what should White have played there?

I'm a chess casual and I only post here occasionally, but these circle-jerkers are a thousand times friendlier than that arrogant Norwegian tool.

Also, it's not called autismgrid. I have the full list of sports nicknames somewhere, but I'll post my own chess ability instead so people can know exactly how good or terrible I am.

kek how many norwegians post here?

anyway, here is the link on the blind chess player

mattogpatt.no/2016/04/27/visually-handicapped-norwegian-gets-two-year-ban-chess-cheating/

>Hamsun was not really a hardcore Nazi

Dahl makes a similar case for Quisling, in his case that he was more of a European/Christian civilization crusader than a racist in the Nazi sense, and even that he got disillusioned with Hitler as time passed by.

I would imagine a sea blockade would feck up Norway pretty bad. Most European maritime countries for that matter. The Greek famine in WWII was due to the British blockade - although IMO the moral responsibility lies with the Germans without doubt.

>mate in 1

ooops

well, back to your question, it's funny bcs in the line the computer considers best for black (1.Rd1) it is actually easier for a patzer like me to find the winning moves than after the theoretically best Qb1.

Now, if black played like a real cretin after 1.Rd1 black can have some cheap shots (involving threatening mate with the queen).

The picture is too big to upload, which is ludicrous, but it's called "girl fear" in the image. I thought it was "wife evade", but that's actually poker (also on the list of sports).

sorry I obviously meant 'white can have some cheap shots'

Bishop e2 wins the rook. Got to defend it

Yo guys I'd love to watch more chess. When is the next tourny and how easy is it to catch a stream?

iirc analysts were giving e5 as the strongest move because it activates both bishops

If taking the rook was really a threat I rly doubt Carlsen would have allowed it in the first place.

Final round of Bilbao Masters is tomorrow, and Biel Chess Festival should be starting tomorrow as well

^this

you can watch live here

bilbaochess2016.com/masters-final-live/

now, if you are hungry for live chess, there is p much always sthg going on

for instance

chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/czech-open-gm-2016/1/1/1

Wait what happened to the scoring system? Is it just for this occasion?

soccer style to discourage draws, it was commented earlier in the bread

sry couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread

but does this apply to all other tournaments as well?

I see, thanks. Looks like White was toast no matter what.

Also some chess computers are just weird.

A few select tournaments, but not all, have decided to implement 3 points for a win. This tourney is one of them, yes.