/classical/

Mahler was a French spy edition.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

imperialporzellan.at/annanetrebko/en/
youtu.be/UeSVu1zbF94
imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/1/1c/IMSLP396224-PMLP01488--Mus.ms.autogr._Beethoven__L._v.__Artaria_196-_Sonata_Op.110_03.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=doJxtcGzMZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Lx3aGhBEIM0
clyp.it/50gohou4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Composers_who_died_in_Nazi_concentration_camps
imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_No.1_in_E_major,_Op.1_(Scherchen,_Hermann)
youtube.com/watch?v=9gvww545WKg&t=11m15s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mahler? I hardly know her!

>tfw Beethoven actually wrote those late sonatas

I feel like giving up on composition

Netrebko is transcending the meme
imperialporzellan.at/annanetrebko/en/

zxc

What piece makes you feel like an inferior untermensch the most? Which performer does?

Beethoven's late sonatas and string quartet, Haydin late sonatas and almost everything by Bach, especially WTC and AoF.

These are the works that make me feel like a complete retard every time I listen to them. Pure genius,

3 > 5 > 9 > 7

9=7>8>5>3>6

How should I approach getting into classical? It's all I really listen to now and all I do is thumb up and down songs on Spotify's classical radio.

Liszt's sonata.

Well if you're listening to Classical then you're already in to classical. All I can say is try to find more pieces from composers you like.

>if you don't enjoy a piece it's likely 2deep4u at the moment, relisten it a couple of times (not too much, of course, you don't want to get sick of it)
>if that doesn't work, find a different recording and try again
>read about the forms and periods

>all I do is thumb up and down songs on Spotify's classical radio.
This sounds like a horrible idea.

but they were his late sonatas, he wrote a lot before them

Are the performers on the general folder good?

I listen exclusively to classical music for some years now, and I really enjoy it and can't find any satisfaction in popular music anymore, I must admit. And of course classical music is much better. But something died with my enjoyment of popular music, some innocence is gone now, it's like I had to trade something to get into classical.

Why is it a horrible idea? I really only thumb down movie tracks, and even then I rarely even bother. I mainly just like the things I like and spotimeme says it will improve the station to show me more things I like.

In my opinion classical is the most genuine format of music. People don't make classical to make money really, they make it cause they love it. Most popular music just isn't like that anymore.

With most composer I always have the impression that I can catch on them, but not with Beethoven. Whenever I listen to his 32th sonata I always think that I could never come up with such excellence and art.

>listen to the diabelli variations once
>immediatly understand that I'm not one of those gifted human beings

I feel you

that's why he's so famous I guess. But I think Beethoven developed his piano sonatas by improvising and adding parts to it over a long time before starting to write it down, so he couldn't forsee the outcoming either. It's something that grows slowly. It's the fault of many composers to write things on paper to early, because they don't trust their memory. Beethoven adressed this point numerous times.

>Beethoven adressed this point numerous times.
Sounds interesting, anywhere I can read more of this?

>8
Shit taste.

I don't know the source, but I read once how he developed ideas while improvising and then mostly turned them over in his mind for months until they became useful often in a whole different context than he thaught at first. He said that he has complete trust in his memory in this point. When I started composing I always struggled because I wrote stuff down too early, making composing no fun. I had to force myself really hard to trust my memory, in the end it turned out that I didn't forget anything that was good, even when I came back to it weaks later. Now I write pieces down when they are completely done, which makes composing much more fun.

Is there any passage of classical music as eerie as this? (Starts at 3:37)

youtu.be/UeSVu1zbF94

It's even more eerie considering the context, Messiaen wrote this in a fucking concentration camp

Messiaen remains the only composer I've so far encountered who I just can't "get".

is that matt damon

>>

Beethoven took note of every single one of his musical ideas, and his late compositions are anything but improvisational.

Notice also that at this point he was stone deaf and apparently he had lost his virtuoso technique (he had no control anymore over the dynamics), and he composed almost none of his late music on piano.

His late compositions are actually extremely carefully planned (you have literally hundred of pages with unused musical ideas for his Sonata 31), and the musicality was tested by Czerny, who proofreaded all of his material.

Almost nothing is improvised, and everything is structural.

the outcoming isn't improvisional, but the process is. When he became deaf he improvised in his mind until it came out to his satisfaction. That's why every single note is completely in his personal stile. It was Beethoven who brought this approach to composition to perfection, Mozart and his contemporaries had a completely different apprpoach.

Reading through his original scores you'll notice how often he simply crossed out passages, added new ideas etc.
For reference :
imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/1/1c/IMSLP396224-PMLP01488--Mus.ms.autogr._Beethoven__L._v.__Artaria_196-_Sonata_Op.110_03.pdf
He often used to drink when he composed which is why some of his scores are covered in wine stains.
Also fuck me, his writing was bad.

I think Also sprach Zarathustra is one of the best compositions I've ever heard...recommendations for stuff in a similar vein?

youtube.com/watch?v=doJxtcGzMZQ

The rest of Strauss' tone poems are good. Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben, Till Eulenspiegel and An Alpine Symphony are a good starting point

Just listen to Wellington's Victory a bunch of times to feel better about yourself.

Is Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun in the mega?

Even Beethoven's biggest blunder is still much better than what I can come up with ;_;

And don't get me started on child prodigies.

To be fair Beethoven got really good at composing in his 30s-40s. You can still put as many hours into it as he in your 50s.

f

p

What type of classical music do you think these people enjoy?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lx3aGhBEIM0

Music from Russia

>5 that high

this is the worst general on Sup Forums

Is there any classical music that sounds like miltiary marches?

Critique my canon bois: clyp.it/50gohou4

no u

How do you guys compose?
I can make music in front of the piano or in my head, but when I have to write it I'm uncapable of accurately writing the rhythm correctly, i always end up with a more robotic version of what I have in mind.

My musical progression went from hip-hop to hip-hop instrumentals to trip-hop, jazz, and now classical. Nothing beats getting super high and listening to this guy.

>dedicating a thread to Mauluh

videogame music/10

Dance of the Knights has a kind of military-ish part.

Wait, you regard Messaien as more intractable than Schoenberg or Webern? Hell, fucking Stockhausen?

All canons sound like videogame music

I love Schoenberg and Webern. And I can generally understand what Stockhausen is going for when I listen to his music, even if I don't make a habit of listening to it especially often. But Messiaen just confuses me for some reason.

this. to be fair i only listened to his organ works and every single one is godawful

Was Igor Stravinsky the linkin park of his time?

No, that was Schoenberg, Stravinsky was the Aqua of his time

Just think of a Vaporwave dystopia where you're plugged into meditative VR with birds chirping and a babling brook but somehow it all just feels artificial and incomplete. Works for me.

sounds like shit

also nice meme bro ;)

Jazz is the true successor to romanticism.

jazz is the true successor to Negermusik

Negermusik beats judenmusik any day.

All of the day bro ;)

Make a Xenakis chart you lazy fucking dickhead

>implying cal knows anything apart from shitposting

You have to blow either Caccini, Monteverdi, or Gabrieli; who do you choose?

Messiaen has always felt much more accessible to me than Webern et al. For some reason I find it easy to visualize the harmonies as colors with him.

written notes are always gonna be more artificial than the rhythms you have in mind just because eighth and quarter notes can't account for musicianship. Unless you're actually just transcribing the rhythms wrong, in which case practicing transcription is your only way out

And your (you) just bumped this general to the top of the page

Movement 1 is the bombing
Movement 2 there's no more Dresden

who who and who?

depends. Sometimes start with melody in the head, sometimes improvise something, sometimes carefully construct a melody or chord progression from scratch either at keyboard or into a DAW.
Recording whistling or singing, then playing along with a MIDI controller (while recording into a DAW) as closely as possible gives nice organic results.
And thats just for melodies.

how is that in any way a canon?

Pléiades, Mycenae Alpha, Persepolis, Metastasis, Tetras, Tetora, Terretektorh for orchestra.

Is there any other /holocaustcore/ like Pavel Haas?

Messaien quartet for the end of time. Webern?

These guys you probably haven't heard of?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Composers_who_died_in_Nazi_concentration_camps

Just keep listening. His tonal language is beautiful.

His organ works can be strange because of his registration. For example, sometimes every single note is a major triad.

Nice, thanks.
I just saw Messaien talked about in this context just a few posts above now too, derp.

Kek. Scherchen has a String Quartet he wrote while he was a Russian POW.

imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_No.1_in_E_major,_Op.1_(Scherchen,_Hermann)

Doesn't seem like it has been recorded, though. I'm kind of curious now.

I don't find that particular passage quite eerie. It's more beguiling and mystic. I think the meme around the Quartet with the concentration camp and all has been taken too far. Just think about love and Jesus, that'll get you through most of Messiaen.

Firstly, I think you can hold off on some of your materials. Plan where the canon actually starts. By immediately having the repetitions occur there's no real room for future development (Assuming you would like it to be a longer form or develop it forward. You could also consider making the Canon more obviously a canon by looking at other canons, rounds and fugal pieces. Fugues, in particular, are interesting because the canon is always present but also constantly presenting new material in the form of new themes or call-response activity.
In general, think about how the material can interact with itself and how you can manipulate the harmony within the melodic progression.

A good way to try and deal with that is stacking where your repeat happens under your prime melody (You can just add another piano to your score, or some other instrument)...Figure out what harmonies are going to happen underneath it all and figure out how that is functioning with the canon and its thematic material.

Keep it up, canons, rounds, and especially fugues are difficult forms to work with if you want them done well. My biggest peeve atm is just that it doesn't quite sound like a Canon. I see the ideas and it's there, but I'm sure if you consider what makes your work a canon and compare it to some other ones, you'll be able to better refine your form. Keep it up

(Consider working with more chromatic harmonies and progressions, as well as more complex rhythmic structure, think 3:2 or more syncopation; It all feels a bit too squarish. Though that might just be taste.)

Best Mahler symphonies in order

Das Lied Von der Erde, 5, 2, 10, 9, 1, 6, 7, 3, 8, 4

Dieskau's singing in Der Abschied is heavenly

>5 that high
>4 and 8 that low
no

5 is the most engaging of all the symphonies from start to finish. The last movement of 8 is far too long. The first movement and the last 10 minutes of the second are great, everything in between is kinda eh. I just don't care for 4.

only good movements of the 5th are the first and last ones

Holy shit what? The scherzo is the best scherzo Mahler wrote in any of his symphonies, and the adagietto is the most gorgeous movement of any piece ever.

>can't into the 2nd movement
philistines

>concerto for cymbal crash

i suppose using articulations to get a better feel representation of what you want. Straight quarter/eight notes are alwasy gonna seem robotic if you dont add tenutos or accents or staccatos etc

I'd suggest learning about orchestration. You clearly dont know what you're talking about.

>serious replies and critiques of this cannon

its the goddamn lazy town song with some piano embellishment you uncultured fucks

sorry

>concerto for firetrucks and cymbal crash

No, that would be Dvorak's Scherzo Capriccioso

youtube.com/watch?v=9gvww545WKg&t=11m15s

played that shit at all state

1. Horenstein
2. Steinberg
3. Horenstein
4. Horenstein
5. Schwarz
6. Kondrashin
7. Bernstein
8. Kubelik
9. Ancerl
Best cycle: Michael Tilson Thomas

Prove me wrong

1. Hengelbrock
2. Stokowski / Kegel
3. Martinon
4. Mengelberg / Slowik
5. Walter / Boulez (old BBC one)
6. Hmmm
7. Kondrashin / Gielen
8. Horenstein / Stokowski
9. Maderna / Kubelik
Das Lied. Klemps / Slowik

Dunno if there's any one best cycle, honestly. I might say Kubelik on DG if most of it wasn't in piss-poor sound. It's still the most appropriately mannered cycle, though. Not to mention that he uses superior orchestral seating with antiphonal violins, which is extremely important in Mahler (thanks for fucking it, Stokowski)

I guess I'll go with Gielen for best overall cycle even if he's a bit too slow in some bits.

The first movement of the 5th symphony is why everyone here thinks he's a yid hack tho

Speak for yourself, user.

Mahler is fun because of his gimmicks.

*tips cowbell*