Seriously, what the fuck do you answer when they ask you what kind of music do you like?...

Seriously, what the fuck do you answer when they ask you what kind of music do you like?. Fuck this shit I've ruined lots of conversations after being asked that question, help.

lapfox trax stuff

i feel your pain
usually just blunder out a 'i like a bit of everything' because its less awkward and quickly ask the question back and quiz them so its not you in the spotlight anymore

>"HAHA, EVEN DISCO AND COUNTRY?"
>"WHAAAAAAAAT, ARE YOU GAY?"

Just name some genres you're listening to at the moment, maybe some bands you think they might know.

It's the fucking worst when someone says that they listen to 'a bit of everything'

i say i like pop music

"I like a little x,y, and z, a bit of x, some y, but also a lot x,y, and z."

Not that hard 2bh. If you have ruined conversations just by talking about the music you like that seems like a personal problem.

"assorted indie guitar crap"

>what are you listening to?
>spotify
>is that a band?

does this bitch not know what spotify is?

why would you say you listen to spotify

>"I like a little rock, hip hop, and jazz, a bit of rock, some hip hop, but also a lot rock, hip hop, and jazz."

this is the real question tho

the last time i was asked this i was really autistic about it
name bands/artists that are important to you and develop the conversation from there if they recognise any
if you genuinely only listen to obscure bullshit then name the genre or more popular genres that connect to it

I'm vague like that.

Whatever the genre of the last album I listened to. Or "post ambient bitrock harshnoise"

"Hipster bullshit mainly" usually gets a laugh and also allows the other person to end the conversation if they're not that interested.
Then you can say "what about you" and if they start talking about music you know you can have a normal conversation.

I've turned to someone random at a party once and asked what music they listened to and they replied "I've been really into deathgrips lately I don't know if you've heard of them."

Well I'm not in high school anymore so it's not an issue.

have you literally not talked to anyone since high school

Whatever music you like

Are you that autistic?

I use the same damn phrase, incredibly effective tbqhfamalam

>Fanisk is my favorite but I like several other NSBM bands aswell

Maybe I'm the autistic one here but I don't understand why it matters?

If you're just honest won't that be the easiest route? If they ask you about it and why your taste is fucking weird, just own it and say you fell down the rabbit hole, you don't have to recoil in shame and fear as a response.

I don't have friends though, so I'm never asked this. I'd like to imagine I would own it if I was asked though.

>when they ask you what kind of music do you like?
No one has ever asked me this question :D

Movie soundtracks, white rappers, baroque music, and kraftwerk

>you don't have to recoil in shame and fear as a response
very important
i've instinctively done this with everything in my life, i used to downplay or deny my appreciation for something if somebody called me out for it
doing that just makes people respect you even less, you need to own your tastes and values

Me? I'm really into experimental music, Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze, the list goes on...

...yeah, I guess you could say I am something of an intellectual.

Not him but yeah I haven't. [spoiler]it's been a few years[/spoiler]

You just own loving country and disco

DO YOU EVEN IRONY BRAH

Oh me? I enjoy stuff like The Mars Volta, Radiohead, Aphex Twin, LCD Soundsystem, Tim Hecker, Boards of Canada,Bonobo, DJ Shadow, Justice, Tycho, Nine Inch Nails, Animal Collective, My Bloody Valentine, Tame Impala, Joy Division,Ween, Sleep, Mogwai,Mastodon, Opeth, Deafheaven, Wolves in the Throne Room, Burzum, Rage Against the Machine, Hella, Primus, Earth, Stars of the Lid, Melt Banana, Boris, Boredoms,Kendrick Lamar, Shabazz Palaces, Neutral Milk Hotel,Herbie Hancock, The Bad Plus, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Nujabes, Coltrane, Secret Chiefs 3, Mr.Bungle, Black Sabbath,Genesis,the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Zappa, Steve Reich

/thread

I used to do this, and everyone would look at me weird if it was not top 40.

A bit of everything is what they want to hear.

how's everlasting virginity treating you?

I just say mu/core.

Always works as far as answering them

Why, are you a fucking autist?

this question has come up a million times now since i arrived here. the answer is so obvious, i don't understand how it's an issue

was this ever a meme? it's so simple:

>name a few (only 3-4) genres or bands that you like
>try to choose bands/genres that are more well known
>if you know the person is knowledgeable about music then you can go more obscure

that's how you carry on a conversation

you don't list 15 bands because it will make you seem like a goober who is proud of his musical preferences. you don't say "whitehouse" because then the person will have no frame of reference and the conversation ends

>"YEAH BRO, IM A FUCKING FAGGOT. NO, IM NOT GAY DO YOU EVEN IRONY XD."

I don't like music. I only read about music.

I usually just say that I listen to a bit of everything, if they doubt me then I mention that I don't really like any reggae (it makes me nervous)

>tfw I unironically listen to some country music
>and some old italdisco too

you niggas never learn. just say everything since their not really interested anyways baka

this is horrible advice, if I say "recently mostly noise rock and ambient" I'll just look like a weirdo

why would you look like a weirdo? As long as you can follow it up with something like "have you heard of X or Y?" or "what about you?" it's totally fine. If you don't scoff and act all elitist when someone starts talking about pop you're not going to look like a weirdo. I feel like the people who say things like this are the kind of people who never actually interact with others.

The only person who thinks it's weird is yourself. You think that because you listen to unorthodox genres of music, people will perceive you as weird.

It's not weird if you tell them "I listen to harsh noise, ambient, field recordings etc." if you truly don't care what other people think of your music taste and you have an ounce of self-esteem.

If anything, bringing up those genres is a great starting point for a conversation. Because if you profess that you like those genres, you can easily direct the conversation to expand on what the genres are about, what the artists are like, their connections to others kinds of music etc.

Even if that somehow all fails, and the person you are talking to thinks you're a weirdo; who cares, someone thinks you have weird music taste. That person's perception of you will have no bearing in your life

It isn't that hard desu

kek

this. If you're passionate enough about something, people are going to listen to you. I tend to go on ramblings about music and/or drugs when I'm drunk and if you meet someone who is interested enough you might make a friend.
Pic related: some guy I talked to at a bar about my godspeed tattoo last week

Yeah, you just gotta make sure you aren't diving into some tangent and that it's still a conversation. People don't like being talked at but with. Still, good post.

i laughed more than I should have. And is Muslimgaze a real thing?

6/10

What if you like meme core and anime music

Muslimgauze man. Have a listen to Drug Sherpa or Uzi and see what you think. If you're interested there was a thread just a couple of days ago that you could mine for further recommendations

Holy shit, what's the big deal? It doesn't really matter what you say.
If they're a total pleb, i just say I like a lot of different stuff, and sometimes call it "hipster crap" in a jokey self deprecating way.
If they know a little, a name a few known genres maybe some bands to give them an idea
How is that hard?

You will?
Are you hanging out with literal 12 year olds user? No one fucking cares that much. Some friends may rib you a little on it, but that's just a friendly thing, you then fire back at whatever shit they like.

I just say 'rock' most of the time since most stuff I listen to could be described as this (Shoegaze, Post-Punk, Indie Rock and that kind of shit)

>Yeah, you just gotta make sure you aren't diving into some tangent and that it's still a conversation.
This, don't just ramble on about stuff they aren't interested in. If it goes nowhere, just go to a different topic.

i listen to italian occult psychedelia

>efrim and the godspeed! black emperors

I ask them back before answering to get a feel for the kind of answer they want.

"I like classical, jazz, hip-hop, electronic and a little bit of rock."

It's not that fucking hard guys.

I just feel really fucking stupid no matter what I say.

so many good bands & artists ruined by this meme
I'M SHAKING

Just tell them in most plain way possible.
If you have to rely on obscure buzzwords you're probably a posturing cunt anyway so might as well say you like all kinds of music.

say "I like all kinds of music" and then "I've been listening to a lot of" an artist they probably know.

"I listen to a lot of music. Discovering new artists and albums are one of my favorite hobbies. I go through phases when I enjoy dwelling into specific genres, for example I've been listening to a lot of early post-rock lately which is this quite odd, experimental type of rock music from the early 90's."

"I like jazz"

>Oh yeah then what's your favourite serialist composer?
What do you do then?

I try not to talk about music with normal people. Usually try to change the subject or just say something that implies that I REALLY like music and is not worth discussing with them.

Schoenberg

or alternatively, I could say "I'm not really a big fan of serialism." You're not required to like any particular form of classical just because you say "I like classical." If asked to specify I would say "I especially like minimalism."

Jesus Christ user way to embarass everyone by looking like a massive pleb.
Why don't you just say that your favourite piece of music is Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto and end it already.

Speaking from experience (or at least ONE experience) women can be pretty impressed if you have even a basic knowledge of classical (or jazz).

I think honestly this is because even most people who think they listen to "experimental" music really don't have much knowledge of those genres (if they can be called genres) because they just listen to what "indie" websites tell them to (AnCo, DG, 21 Pilots etc.)

So when someone comes across as having more knowledge in music than that, they will think you are super interesting.

or maybe the woman this happened with was just a pleb, idk (for the record I don't listen to classical and jazz just to try and attract women, I actually enjoy it)

Jesus most of you guys are so uptight. Just say what you like and be natural about it. Nobody really gives a fuck if you don't act weird about it.

haha fucking this

own up to the kind of music you like don't be a pussy