Because the music? /rapthread

it's true golden era of rap, but how long?
it seems to me that everything will be over soon

Other urls found in this thread:

crimewave420.bandcamp.com/album/666
youtube.com/watch?v=agPQD6oz6Y4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Awaken, My Love
>Rap

>golden era
>rap

>era
>gold raps

>
>

Eh, fuck it, I don't usually participate in these so I'mma participate.

What's everyone's favorite rap album?

(Also yeah, Awaken is a funk album, not rap)

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea or Mad Illusions

Hip-hop will die together with Brian Wilson

Pic related: beats are cool, and pretty fun lyrics too

>Golden era
>not 5 years ago

The new golden era is long gone

Nothing against the so-called "mumble rappers", but they are not releasing music that is the calibre of say, XXX. Gambino may have got something good with this release, but his earlier releases were are veritably trash, besides that one forgettable rnb thing.

Flatbush Zombies suck dick.
Joey Badass is overrated
ASAP Rocky hasnt released anything nearly as good as Live Love (ferg and friends are all boring as shit too)
Earl has opted for boring, depressing raps over interesting, word heavy shit
Tyler isnt much of a rapper anymore
Danny released a good album, but it is among a sea of boringness
Ye just released a half finished shit album
The biggest stars Drake, Kendrick, And Cole; drake is a corporate puppet with no artistic merit and needs a team of writers to accomplish anything, Kendrick is a B grade MC in a C- era, Coles heart is in the right place, and makes good background music, but is not much of a rapper if truth is to be told.
Gambino is a huge cornball whos strength is singing yet it took him this long to admit it
Hipster trap is huge and a blight on the rap game
Bones is a rapper who is a huge lesson in marketing. Originally a mac miller type college rapper with some cool ideas, he morphed into his current image through market demand, first opting to hop on memphis revival sparked by SGP, then transitioning into a faux "emo" "Dark" rapper who gets on downer trap production, really a clever marketing gimmick.
Suicide boys are an offshoot of bones' gimmick, in reality being hipster hardcore kids who cashed in on the trap wave
Yung Lean is all style no substance taking irony to its extremes to cover for the lack of any content worth note. All production, very little rapping.

rap is shit right now

Mac Miller is one of the few artists evolving and with an actual evolution as an artist over the years

Wiz has incredible beat selection and knows how to make vibe music, but he sacrificed his streetwise flow for a more pop lowest common denominator weed raps.

Schoolboy Q is an overrated "gangster rapper" with no project worth listening to, and yes I've listened to all of them. The definition of a single artist, and yes, he has great songs and can rap when he isnt yelling for no reason.

Ab-Soul is overrated trash. One of the worst rappers yet held to an extremely high regard because of his corny "word play". Terrible delivery, bad voice, a couple of good songs. Just a product of TDE's marketing, like Kendrick and Q.

Eminem is obviously trash, that's evident and doesn't need an explanation.

Tech N9ne remains corny, low substance tech rap fun.

Logic is an artist in desperate need to branch out and become himself, but he is an underrated and quite consistent. Maybe a 6/10 as an artist.

Macklemore...lol

Young Thug is a great vocalist but of course, of little substance. Fun, different, but not much more than that.

Gucci is consistent to who he's been. Not exactly reinventing the wheel but still doing what he does best.

Mick Jenkins is for pretentious douchebags, and his production is super hit or miss.

Isaiah Rashad is one of the genuinely good rappers from a whole package perspective. Not too crazy lyrical, often abstract, but some of the best production. Sadly, his latest wasnt as good as cilvia, which would have been hard to top.

Hopsin is similar to Tech, but Raw was where he peaked. Corny, SO CORNY, but it's fun music. His latest has become unbearable though.

Chief Keef was never really that good, I never got the hype around him. Influential though for sure.

Lil Uzi is fun in audio form. Really rap hair metal but damn that shit is fun to listen to.

21 is boring af

Yachty is trash hiding behind "irony"

Montana of 300 is pretty good but hit or miss.

Most drill guys are like that

Kevin Gates is actually pretty good, but his music likely wont age well.

what about death grips, user?

They're not even in the same category as the aforementioned artists imo. Completely different.

If you consider them in the context of hip hop, very important, but it seems they've largely run their course and did their part.

I PUT BRICKS ON A BITCH 30 XANS OFF HER TITS I PUT MOLLY ON A BITCH I PUT MOLLY ON A BITCH YESS

Bringing back the poetry rap into hip-hop

cant wait for madvillainy 2 to bring back quality abstract

that gambino album does not have one rap track on it

Man when is XXX gonna make an actual album. He has so much potential

I thought he was out of jail already

He got out and went right back in
court date is in january

poetry and rap are not the same and comparing them is an insult to both art forms

I generally agree with a few exceptions
>Ab-soul
I would've agreed with you a week ago but his newest product kind of makes sense of why he does what he does and i respect his thrive for abstraction

>eminem
New em is shit, old em is goat, but new em could still tear the majority of rappers apart

>Isaiah Rashad
while i do like him a lot i think you're giving him way to much credit. Cilvia is his only good project so i'll hold my opinion on him until he releases something else that's relatively noteworthy

>macklemore
undisputedly the greatest rapper to walk this earth

I didn't say they're the same
Also songwriting and rap has always been closely related to poetry.

english poetry may have started with song verse, but saying they share any major similarities in this day and age is just wrong.
the two have completley unique dynamics

i feel like this is the age of expermination that hip hop really needed pretty sure there are going to be newer artists that are going to be inspired by yeezus, AML, and exmilitary that are going to push hip hop even further and are going to make amazing albums so while rap is not in the golden era yet its not too far long maybe in about 3 years

Kanye is the only good rapper.

Have you listened to her? She genuinely writes poetry, she raps her poems.

>New em is shit, old em is goat, but new em could still tear the majority of rappers apart

This, except MMLP2 was decent

a poet can be a rapper and a rapper can be a poet, but reading a rap as a poem or reciting a poem as a rap will everybody underwhelmed.

>Schoolboy Q is an overrated "gangster rapper" with no project worth listening to, and yes I've listened to all of them. The definition of a single artist, and yes, he has great songs and can rap when he isnt yelling for no reason.

i've heard her rap and I think she is very good
in fact, i had been waiting for a mixtape from her ever since i heard her on acid rap back in like 2013
But to call her raps poems is just wrong.
People tend to define poetry as any kind of artful language, so they'll try to increase the artistic merit of rap by calling it poetry.
This is retarded, because rap is judged on a completley separate set of qualities than poetry.
They both deserve respect, but they are not the same thing.

Well I don't know her technique for writing songs. I was originally pointing out how she brings poetic aspects into her rap, that's it. I'm not trying to make some grand statement about poetry, rap, or noname.
I hate when Sup Forums turns everything into a pissing contest

crimewave420.bandcamp.com/album/666 does anyone know of any cool dark trap/rap shit like scumbag on this album?

my point is to stop the pissing contest, because people who try to praise rap by calling it poetry are actually just shitting on the entire art of rap by implying that it's inferior

honsetly mmlp2 caught a lot of shit for being weak but its one of his more underrated albums plus the bonus tracks are some of his better recent work

New Em sucks yes

Relapse was underrated and Im not a huge fan of his older stuff besides infinite. MMLP and SSLP have their share of good songs and super dated songs. Eminem is an incredible technical rapper though.

Well memed response. I like how you have no rebuttal. Act like Oxymoron was a good release lol

>slam poetry

not him but Q is pretty hype iwbh. Might not be the most consistent as far as whole albums go, but tracks like Dope Dealer, Big Body, THere He Go are huuuuuuuge tunes, my dude.

I always see this everywhere it's brought up; what exactly is wrong with slam poetry besides the usually repetitive subject matter and social commentary?

I didn't say or imply Oxymoron was a good release. Oxymoron has 8 out of 7 good songs, but even the best songs on the album are too long. Blank Face LP is like a 9.5/10 though. Most gangsta rap is generic and sounds the same, Schoolboy Q stands out because of his execution.

california is pretty obviously a rap track

A lot of people don't like it because the themes are normally about sexism, white men, racism, etc.

There's probably some good slam poets but a lot of it is just baiting with "OLD WHITE MAN LAUGHS..." etc...

When i heard Boogieman i was thinking of Hit it and Quit it and i came

It's the only album that makes me feel true regret for my stupid life

I guess, but at least for me personally, I don't really care about whether the choice in subject matter in anything is disagreeable, repetitive, generic and whatnot, since I tend to judge things on an individual basis on how well they present their ideas. It's just that I've never heard anyone actually say why slam poetry is somehow bad by critiquing the rhetorical style itself. It seems like they don't like it because it's not classical poetry, but does that necessarily mean it's inferior?

>Oxymoron has 8 out of 7 good songs

I listened to this a while back. Ignoring the lyrics this release is nothing. There is nothing exciting about it. Like the production is good but without any interesting melodies or cool use of texture that production is pointless. Telephone by Noname is nothing. It's just lacking... everything. It's milquetoast generic pop.

Whats sup with people liking this hot trash

17 my bad

Let's talk some rappers
Denzel Curry - Since his Raider Klan mixtapes he's shown a hell of a lot of potential. I'd love to see those older tapes remastered one day because rapping off a laptops on board mic...big no-no. That aside, his rise has probably been one of the most grassroots/organic I've seen from this current generation

Chance the Rapper - 10 Day was alright. Acid Rap was a lot better. Coloring Book is...well I'm sure it's good. I just can't get into it because it's gospel shit and I'm a godless heathen. Lately I've become put off by Chance because he's just too much of a goody two shoes and that kinda shit makes me sick.

21 Savage - Boring as all fuck. "Muh savage raps and dark production!" Just go listen to Robb Banks. Someone who has been doing what 21 has been doing since 2012 but a whole lot better. STILL a whole lot better.

Vic Mensa - He really could've been in the spot that Chance is in currently, but he fucked around when he had all the attention and did nothing with it. Reason why I like him though is because he is truly a punk. He has the punk ideology and spirit and it shows in his style, involvement, and music. I'm interested in what he has in store for 2017.

Logic - This guy really needs to find his own style seriously. He has the makings of being a great rapper, but he has yet to truly find his own identity.

Robb Banks - Already said part of what I wanna say about him in 21 Savage's bit. But I guess I'll say 2017 is going to be his year where he breaks out. C2 was an outstanding mixtape. I recommend his back catalog of projects.

Travis Scott - He's...a strange case. While one part of me hates how he made it this far by biting the fuck out of Kanye, Cudi, Tyler the Creator, Future and many...MANY others. I also like his music enough to play it regularly. He's another rapper I'd say he needs to find his own identity. You can only bite styles for so long.

Lil Uzi Vert - He sucks. Like really sucks. But his songs get me hype, and I wouldn't mind going to one of his concerts. Mainly just to crowd surf. I can't listen to a whole project from him though. There's only so much of his voice and adlibs I can take.

Vince Staples - Great rapper. I really have nothing but praise for him honestly. Great lyrics, catchy hooks, clever and funny lines. He also has some good EDM crossover tracks. Ghost!, Smoke & Retribution, Little Bit of This. He's one to definitely watch for throughout his career.

Mac Miller - Love the change he's made over the years. His production as Larry Fisherman is great. I think he's found his right "tune" so to speak and he's most likely gonna stick with it for the rest of his career.

Big KRIT - Extremely underrated. Minus one mixtape, all of them are album quality. He's really the full package in terms of what people would want. You want Southern rap? Got it. Conscious rap? Got it. Bangers? Got it. Smoke sesh tracks? Got it. Lyrics? Got it in spades. Honestly feel like he should be at J Cole status as a rapper. Lord knows he's a whole lot better than J Cole.

it has literally everything you could ever want out of a rap album

>Flatbush Zombies suck dick.
Chill.
>Joey Badass is overrated
Ehh...moreso he just has yet to release a project as good as 1999. His next album is his last chance for me.
>ASAP Rocky hasnt released anything nearly as good as Live Love
True, but ALLA was a pretty nice return to form. LongLiveASAP was his big commercial album. ALLA was his "alright time to go back to what I really know" album.
>Earl has opted for boring, depressing raps over interesting, word heavy shit
Wait for his next album, trust me.
>Tyler isnt much of a rapper anymore
I'd be totally fine if he sticks to producing and music video stuff.
>Danny released a good album, but it is among a sea of boringness
True.
>Ye just released a half finished shit album
Very true, yet people still like to pretend it's good. Mainly because Kanye's name is on it.
>Gambino is a huge cornball whos strength is singing yet it took him this long to admit it
I disagree, but see why one would think this and won't really dispute it.

This is a classic. Album oozes attitude, style, gangsta, and ignorance. Nowadays, I can definitely do without most of the skits.
While funny, they do kinda mess with the pacing and transitioning of some tracks.

Production is top notch. It's weird, the beats definitely fit the time period they were in, but also sounded ahead of its time as well. Cam's punchlines are hard hitting and they're quotable for days. He's so cocky on this album that even if you like him and the album you'll start to hate on him. He's just that good at bragging on this project.

Album is a solid 8/10.

Ugly niggers

There was definitely an early 2010s golden era, started with MBDTF and ended with TPAB. Late 2015 and 2016 were abysmal.

>. He's another rapper I'd say he needs to find his own identity
>Travis Scott

He single handedly has the most distinguishable sound in the entirety of trap music. I'm tired of these memes about Travis Scott as if he didn't fully popularize the distorted 808s sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=agPQD6oz6Y4

lil tracy is god

>chill

Nice rebuttal. Detached hipster is an overdone persona, try something different such as actually giving me a reason why they are good.

The only talent in fbz is Erick

1999 was also literally MUH 90s

Fuck that overrated mixtape

Literally babbys first hip hop

Earl could release something good next album I don't doubt it

Flatbush lost their momentum by bing mia for a couple years.

Lol Kendrick is definitely a B grade MC in a C- era. Can't stand the voice changes.

Can't agree with Cole not being much of a rapper tho.

KRIT is definitely a solid artist.

Been bumping Danny Brown since the Hybrid (XXX still my fav tape from his catalog)

what's up lil tracy

Denzel is p good but needs to work on beat selection (some of the time) and lyrics/delivery/voice

Chance is annoying af and doesn't have the good music to make it work now. Acid rap was good but CB was pretty bad

Agree about 21 I said something similar earlier

Vic Mensa is not punk lmao. He tries in different images like clothes and can't decide if he's internet mixtape rapper, generic trap banger guy, dance music cross over guy, or Blm political guy

Travis is trash with the occasional good song usually featuring young thug

Uzi is fun

Vince is one of the best but his beat selection can be a little sketchy at times (wtf was that prima Donna tape)

the firm?
really?