When did you grow out of your hipster phase and realised they were the best and biggest rock band ever?

When did you grow out of your hipster phase and realised they were the best and biggest rock band ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
youtube.com/watch?v=DBzuYNK95sM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I mean I like them a lot and all but hate fans that act like they're the best, also hate how autistic Sup Forums seems to be about the plagiarism thing lately

I've never hated Lez Zep, but I just don't think they were as good at what they do than a lot of their contemporaries. The one thing I will give them is that they did Folk Rock better than any Rock band of that era, and in fact I much prefer their Folk Rock stuff to their Hard Rock stuff (for the most part)

To me no other band really painted such a vibrant and rich tapestry as LZ...they were one of the hardest bands and yet also one of the softest, sweetest bands...from Wales to Kashmir to Mordor to Chicago to Birmingham to Honolulu to the Mississippi delta to Valhalla to California and back again....just an unprecedented tour de force of a band.

the fuck
led zeppelin fucking suck
more like "when did you stop liking led zeppelin when you weren't 11 anymore"

"Pretty much all we did for a while was follow Led Zeppelin."

-- Geezer Butler

I've been revisiting their early albums recently and it's been a great experience. The first album alone has one of the most unique sounds in rock music that even they themselves couldn't duplicate on later releases.

Led Zeppelin II [Atlantic, 1969]

The best of the wah-wah mannerist groups, so dirty they drool on demand. It's true that all the songs sound the same, but nobody ever held that against Little Richard. Then again, Robert Plant isn't Little Richard. B

>The first album alone has one of the most unique sounds in rock music

interesting to note...Plant was only 19yrs old when he recorded LZ1

i've realized that 6 years ago.
There's just no other band with that sound, with that energy, that combination of light and shade.

It's kinda sad because i might have 50+ more years to live but only 9 zeppelin albums.

>all the songs sound the same

straight out lies should not be tolerated. Black dog...Going to California...Fool in the rain...all sound the same...

that's a review for zeppelin II. Though i don't know how whole lotta love, thank you, what is and what should never be or the lemon song sound the same.

The entire band was barely a month or so old. It's amazing how they were able to make such a bold statement, especially something that was made in like a week.

Why is it that even when I agree with this guy, he manages to piss me off.

I would honestly rather listen to Taylor Swift.

Big deal, Metallica were that age when they did KEA.

Led Zeppelin IV [Atlantic, 1971]

More even than "Rock and Roll," which led me into the rest of the record (whose real title, as all adepts know, is signified by runes no Underwood can reproduce) months after I'd stupidly dismissed it, or "Stairway to Heaven," the platinum-plated album cut, I think the triumph here is "When the Levee Breaks." As if by sorcery, the quasi-parodic overstatement and oddly cerebral mood of Led Zep's blues recastings is at once transcended (that is, this really sounds like a blues), and apotheosized (that is, it has the grandeur of a symphonic crescendo) while John Bonham, as ham-handed as ever, pounds out a contrapuntal tattoo of heavy rhythm. As always, the band's medievalisms have their limits, but this is the definitive Led Zeppelin and hence heavy metal album. It proves that both are--or can be--very much a part of "Rock and Roll." A

>mfw when I grew up with musical taste
>mfw the internet didn't dictate my taste
>mfw my dad listened to Bjork, the Doors, Nirvana (old and new), Portishead, Refused, etc. and shared it with me when I was still in grade school, ostensibly putting me on Sup Forumscore taste before Sup Forums even existed
>mfw all my music friends had "phases" but I just enjoyed the things that I enjoyed, and I stayed the only one without pretension
>mfw my favorite bands throughout my life are still my favorite bands
>mfw i can look back on some of my guilty pleasures and still appreciate them
>mfw i remember that the internet raised all of you, and you're fucking doomed to a life of constantly hating things and then falling in love with them, keeping up with the Jones' with your taste instead of truly enjoying music
>mfw when user charts are the same 100 albums over and over again, signalling that they started getting into music like 2 years ago
>mfw you let anonymous losers tell you how to feel about art
>mfw

Anyways I love Led Zeppelin

I can see what you mean, but I'd say Jethro Tull had the best folk rock in that period.

"Guilty pleasures" aren't an actual thing.

That's the moral, user. While my peers were embarrassed of their past, I learned to look at it in good nature.

..and both are impressive for such a young age...although Metallica sounded young and amateurish - ,,and Het didnt really "sing" so the comparison is a failure.

Though you forget that Jimmy Page was older than the rest of the guys, he added some of the maturity and experience they lacked.

thats pretty damn sad....but at least you own your pleb status.

I went through a few "hipster" phases between 2004 and now. For the past few years, I've tried very hard to take an objective point of view of everything.

IMO, among popular 70s bands:

>The Who
>Pink Floyd
>Aerosmith
>Queen
>ZZ Top
>ABBA
>Alice Cooper
>T. Rex
>David Bowie
>Black Sabbath
>Judas Priest
>Deep Purple
>Sparks
>Emerson Lake & Palmer
>Rush
>UFO
>Supertramp
>Badfinger
>Big Star
>Cheap Trick
>Ramones
>The Clash
>Blondie
>The Cars
>Paul McCartney & Wings
>The Police
>Electric Light Orchestra
>Styx
>Van Halen
>Buzzcocks
>AC/DC

are all better than Led Zeppelin

I should mention, I DO like Led Zeppelin. I stress "like", not love.

Taylor Swift is better than Led Zeppelin.

>Though you forget that Jimmy Page was older than the rest of the guys

I didnt- Pagey was much the accomplished and professional musician....I was really commenting on Plants vocals and his ability to truly be a musical "presence" at such a tender age.

>Styx
Let's not get carried away here.

>Styx

come on m8

I also forgot

>Talking Heads
>New York Dolls
>Yes
>Stevie Wonder
>John Denver

Sorry, I could go on all night.

How?

>are all better than Led Zeppelin

sorry. thats not a logical premise.

No. No she isnt. But thanks for playing.

I always liked Zep's rock stuff but their acoustic stuff has always been my favorite

It's very logical. The listed artists made better music.

>Styx
>ELO
what is this? Big Daddy with Adam Sandler?

>Van Halen
the band that made "objectively bad" a possibility

Taylor Swift makes better music than Led Zeppelin did.

Compare:

youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
Concise, better hook, better singing, better melodies, clear lyrical development and vocal /melodic layering, fun to sing along with, doesn't take the subject matter too seriously,

youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
Long-winded, nonsensical lyrics, melodramatic vocals, cheesy flutes, overly-long buildup laden with boring cymbal rides with an underwhelming payoff, eyeroll-worthy guitar solo.

Taylor Swift > Led Zeppelin

The Who >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Led Zeppelin

>The Who
>Pink Floyd
>Aerosmith
>Queen
>ZZ Top
>Alice Cooper
>David Bowie
>Black Sabbath
>Judas Priest
>Deep Purple
>Sparks
>Badfinger
>Big Star
>Cheap Trick
>Ramones
>The Clash
>Blondie
>The Cars
>The Police
>Van Halen
>Buzzcocks
>AC/DC

Fixed.

Big Star, Bowie, Floyd, Badfinger, and The Clash are the only bands there id put above Zeppelin.
Good on you for including Power Pop bands tho.

>The listed artists made better music.

Actually they did not. Its your limited mental capacities that have hindered your ability to reason.

If you honestly think that badfinger...or blondie...etc is better than LZ you simply have no ability for rational thought. Good luck with that.

Looks like you've never heard this
>greatest musician of all time
>Chuck Schuldiner

>removes Rush
>thinks his opinion is valid

The will of Kek is a mysterious mistress

>fun to sing along with, doesn't take the subject matter too seriously,

are you 13yrs old?

I'm sorry that you have so much new music to listen to.

Stairway to heaven is unironically the weakest song on IV.
If you're gonna go for bait pick an objectively better one like Ten Years Gone or something. It's like saying Taylor is better than Radiohead and linking Creep as an example.

That's true actually, I forgot about them.

wut. Listened to every band mentioned...saw many of them live...you are still wrong.

Out of these I would put Floyd, The Who, ELP, Rush, Supertramp, The Clash, The Police and maybe Bowie above Zeppelin. But the fact that Styx, ABBA, Blondie and Cheap Trick are on the list makes it very hard to take this seriously

Either that or he's Christgau anonymously trolling Sup Forums.

Nothing wrong with Blondie, they were a big influence on many su

...bsequent generations of dance rock artists.

(sry about the fucked up post)

>thinks Led Zeppelin is better than Cheap Trick in this or any universe

No.

>objectively better
Stop posting.

Paul McCartney and Wings are far better than anyone else mentioned in this thread. Is this a joke thread? Do people on Sup Forums bother listening to music at all?

wow man

There is no cure for mental retardation :(

Nothing more than a 2nd rate Cream rip off and not a very good one at that.

I actually agree with Christgau that WTLB is the best cut on LZ IV.

Yeah you're 13 years old

>Paul McCartney and the Wings
>Silly Love Songs

are you bullshitting

The entirety of mainstream rock for the next quarter century was made possible by three albums: Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, and Exile on Main Street.

Rock and roll basically ripped off every riff from Rain Song and Ten Years Gone afterwards

>I've never listened to a Wings album
>my opinion on Wings matters

true...but hopefully you can still manage it to some degree. Clearly you are having trouble tho...

Still convinced the worship of Wings on here is just some elaborate meme. They have some decent music but I can't imagine anyone thinking they're better than the Beatles.

It should be mentioned that Led Zeppelin mentioned Wings as an influence a few times. AND John Bonham recorded with Wings on the song Beware My Love (which was on the same album as Silly Love Songs).

This post reads as:
>Ugh why am I so much better than you

See >No.

Holy fucking cringe

go listen to Swans or something, nerd

>>my opinion on Wings matters
what are you on?

if anything John and George did a better job

Decent bait. The text was good but I wish you would have picked another band. Thing is, Zeppelin actually do have a few Sup Forums approved records. If you had picked AC/DC you might have ruffled a few more feathers.

hes an english major

trying so hard, also kinda sound insecure

underage b&

Agreed

Well that's even worse cause no adult should be acting this childish
At least if you were 13 I'd understand

An adult would be able to challenge the assertions made in . Unless, you know, they were just pretentious old fools unable to defend their favorite archaic plagiarisms.

>Unless, you know, they were just pretentious old fools unable to defend their favorite archaic plagiarisms

So, everyone on the Steve Hoffman Forums?

They're good, just not the perfect 10/10 band people make them out to be.

In their dreams...

>challenge the assertions made in

they are inane assertions not based on any objective reality and easily challenged. Besides there is no guitar solo...so, therefore she sucks

youtube.com/watch?v=DBzuYNK95sM

Meh, their music bores me quickly and I like classic rock. No Quarter is a badass song though.

>objective reality
Are you a child ?

Stairway is STILL one of the great songs of all time though. If you can get the autist band shirt wearing rockers out of your head

>doesn't take the subject matter too seriously

when was this ever a criteria for good

lol you think christgau would post a loli pic?

yeah he's not Scaruffi after all

Led Zep has at least one absolute classic in every goddamn album and Houses of the holy is one of most solid albums ever in rock history.

I can't think of any reason to listen to pompous cockrock other than to have a fun time. Taking subject matter too seriously is anti-fun. You don't hate fun, do you ?

I take art, and my time seriously. If I'm gonna get invested in an album, and that means listening to it several times, and over a few months, it better be saying something serious after all that digesting.

Of course, from your writing you seem like one of those people who disregards anything they don't like the very first listen. Or maybe you're one of us, desperately trying to pretend to be a normie because you saw that your music taste doesn't get you laid or invited to parties. An 'if you you tell yourself it enough, you become it' type deal.

I liked em a lot around 13-14 and then moved into a more "HIPSTER" mindset but i think that was just necessary to get into other music. I dont think I ever stopped actually liking them

>I take art, and my time seriously. If I'm gonna get invested in an album, and that means listening to it several times, and over a few months, it better be saying something serious after all that digesting.
That's a very long-winded way of avoiding saying "Yes Friendo, I hate fun."

>Of course, from your writing you seem like one of those people who disregards anything they don't like the very first listen. Or maybe you're one of us, desperately trying to pretend to be a normie because you saw that your music taste doesn't get you laid or invited to parties. An 'if you you tell yourself it enough, you become it' type deal.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

loooooooooollll

i took the bait, i'll admit

I fucking love them. one of the best. never hated or disliked them.

You're such a goddamn retard, holy shit