Windows 7 user here. Time is ticking, should I "upgrade" to windows 10?

Windows 7 user here. Time is ticking, should I "upgrade" to windows 10?

Other urls found in this thread:

brianlinkletter.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-another-excellent-inexpensive-linux-laptop/
ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201102-7326/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not from 7. i did from 8 and its even shittier

No.

Just stay with windows 7 until 2018.
I recommend Linux.

yes. quickly.

I refused to go 8, but bought new laptop recently with 10. Considered downgrading, but fuck it, at least its not 8...

yea go 10. went from 7 to 10. had 0 issues so far, pretty good

Listen, I was one of the unlucky upgrade rape victims.
I'll tell you a quick review.
-Starting up from updating you have CANDY CRUSH downloading for your first 'game'. You also have lots of ads (not forced, you can remove them) on the Windows menu.

-Lockscreen is alright.

-Speed is MUCH faster, like I mean start up changed from 2-3 minutes to a couple of seconds,

-Shell is 'alright', you can make it look like Windows 7 by downloading the shell

-Security is improved, Windows 7 exploits nomore!

If you're a gamer, YES dx12. If you're not, no need...

upgrade and turn off everything run a program called spybot antibeacon to turn off even more. Don't upgrade if you use multiple gfx cards that use different version of dx to run different screens or something because that will not work. read up on shit you have and how it runs on 10 then make up your mind. Don't be a retard about it and you should be fine either way

Name one way 8 is better than 10

No real reason not to. Their upgrade program was carried out with the subtlety of a baboon, but it's a solid OS. As long as you don't have any old as fuck unsupported software you need to keep using then by all means go for it

If you don't care that much about privacy, know how to install drivers and your programs/games are compatible, go for it. You can restore Windows 7 if you don't like 10, but you have now a valid license for 10 on this PC.

If you like it and have no problems, consider doing a fresh install, but don't forget to backup all your files to another harddrive.

Fuck no. They sell your info to 3rd party companies.

I went to Linux because of those upgrades fucking up my pc

Performance of the pc is far far better than it ever was on windows. Only downside is the lack of games. In every other way linux is better.

>Time is ticking
I don't think it is

Microsoft has been going "cmon guise, pls just update to Win10 already :((" but now they pretend they're gonna shut the gates and not allow people to update for free anymore? I don't think so.

I thought the option just expired and you had to pay for it now ...

If you can still install it I'd say back up everything, download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and upgrade from that choosing the "Keep Nothing" option ... starts you out with a clean install.

>-Starting up from updating you have CANDY CRUSH downloading for your first 'game'. You also have lots of ads (not forced, you can remove them) on the Windows menu.
Neither of these happened to me. The unremovable xbox app bothers me, but that's about it on that front.

Lockscreen is nice

Startup went from ~30seconds(if it took three minutes there's something wrong with your machine) to less than 10 from a cold boot, less than five otherwise generally.

Bash shell works like it should as far as I could tell, infinitely better than windows default shell

Security improvements come at the cost of networking anonymous data about everything you do to ms.

Don't forget to disable everything about cortana when you're installing

Time isn't "ticking", faggot. The microsoft kikes want everyone to use W10 because they're sucking NSA cock. I'm still on Win7 -without service pack 1 because it fucks with my drivers- and everything's fine.

Planned obsolescence. They're going to start releasing important updates for Win7 that slow it down and cause issues which WinX doesn't have so people want to switch over and will have to pay for new machines or the new OS

Anyone saying no is a faggot wearing a tin foil hat. You CAN change all the privacy settings.

- It's faster.
- Uses less resources (CPU, RAM)
- Direct X 12 which is coming to most new games.
- Support for SSD's.
- Adapted for modern world (not 2006 win7).
- Next update will include an MS adapted linux Bash.
- Xbox connectivity.
- UI is like Win 7 but better.

I've used win10 for a year. Upgraded from 7. Don't see a reason why anyone should still be on 7.

>implying you can trust microsoft to do what it says it will do

Wondering this too. That they've pushed it so hard makes me thing they can fuck off. But now I've only got 3 and a bit days to go.

And you think you can with any linux or IOS distro? No mate. Whichever you choose you're still gonna get fucked, it's about choosing which way is more comfortable for getting fucked.

no

- It crashes/stalls faster
- have seen no difference
- forget about directx games
- like everyone else
- modern world=ads everywhere + non removable useless apps
- at last (MS Adapted ...)
- who cares ?
- hmmm...no. Just as bad.

>upgrade to windows 10

Yes. It is a perfectly good operating system. I got no problems with it.

With certain linux distros you have almost full control over the OS (Arch, Gentoo, etc.), it's open source, not designed with backdoors for government, none of which is true with Windows.

Implying a Linux OS is anywhere near Windows-level-invasive to privacy is absolutely deluded.

SPYBOT ANTI-BEACON so you faggots aren't gathering telemetry for ms. The money is in user data for big companies so they can sell it to third parties and/or use it for ads and/or use it for research and play into hypes figure out what the next big thing is going to be etc etc...

Don't upgrade. Just backup your data and do a completely fresh install

It's not hard to reinstall programs esp. if you still have the original CDs, and Steam makes it easy to keep track of your games.

It's tedious at first, but it'll save you a shit ton of trouble trying to deal with the glitches I've seen happen to an "upgraded" Windows 10

- It also recovers faster.. If you can even get it to crash that is.
- That's because your PC is shit. I went from 1min30 start up to 25secs.
- TotalWar: Warhammer in Ultra DX12 is perfection.
- Win 7 does not optimise for SSD's. Read/write speeds are not great.
- Modern World = being able to connect to tablets, phones etc from one device.
- Administrators, developers, gamers. You can run linux apps through windows, why would anyone have a problem with that?
- Win10 UI is better than 7. It is like an upgrade. Win10 is based on 7 so idk how you're objecting to this.

Windows 10 14393.5 RTM Sign Off

>Implying a Linux OS is anywhere near Windows-level-invasive to privacy is absolutely deluded.
Ubuntu. Android. Mint.

>a single amazon app is comparable to windows knowing literally everything about your activity while you're offline
I'll admit Canonical doesn't have a clean record but it's not on the same level as Microsoft and anyone with a brain knows that.

Check'd

I'm not objecting to you saying MS invade your privacy, but whatever you go with there will still be someone gathering your info and selling it. You're going to get fucked either way, linux or not. Open-source does not mean respect for privacy, it just means everyone can see and edit how badly your privacy can be exploited.

NEVER stop a running system. If windows 10 doesn't have a feature that you really want to have, and your current Windows 7 works completely fine, then don't upgrade.

parallel install on extra partition (or a virtual one, if you're not savvy enough)

try it then

I'm running 7 very seldomly now.

(Of fucking course I disabled Cortana and whatnot. At least I can in 10 - other than in 7, where I would have to google for the respecting patch-numbers and manually deinstall them or even work my way through the fucking registry)

as does google, facebook and most contracts you have agreed to in your life time. don't be one of those people who thinks that your slipping past the system and that your actually even that important that people are dying to get your details

apply your tin foil hats no gentleman, we got someone important whos name cannot get out over here

Yes go suck that Microsoft dick and then let it fuck you deeply in the ass.

ugh, jesus, fucking no.

cmon, It's time to put on your big-boy pants and switch to Linux. go install Mint 18 and quit installing shitty, bloated nsa spyware on your rig user

the whole os is one massive anti-privacy backdoor, nigger. Security doesn't even exist on windows.

oh w8, umm Vulkan? Yeah dx12 can go fuck itself.

your info is out of date. they're pushing ninja 'upgrades' alloverthefuckingplace

Win7 is arguably less shitty sans cortana, et al, but don't pretend that's its not been backdoored or trustworthy. MS doesn't have your back, m8

MS/NSA shill detected

Linux

>literally someone's grandmother

you know that new VS binaries automatically link telemetry libs without inform or consent?

what win10 uploads to MS is encrypted. tell me again, how much do you trust MS?

fyi, Unity is NOT ???buntu. Unity is a shitty desktop anyway.

Android is a Google product, who makes their money off of selling your ass to everyone for as little as a fraction of a cent. nobody pretends it's non-invasive, but then cellphones are personal surveillance devices anyway...

Mint does not ship with Unity, it uses Cinnamon or Mate by default

Yeah the amazon shit is shit, but you're by no means forced to deal with it either. Don't use Unity, there are plenty of good distros downstream from canonical, so they're not all bad

Reminds me of a buddy still running an ancient Netware server

srsly, don't waste your time or hdd space

Win10 is pretty good desu. I have it on 3 of my computers and a win phone. If you want something that works i'd go with windows 10. Also DirectX.

Metro start UI.

no, you should upgrade to mint linux 18

might I ask you then, how I will gain full use/ convenience of my T420 on Linux, good ol' IT-Lord?

You realize all the big global companies you sign up with your info does this.

Better get my tin foil hat because the Linux fan boy says otherwise to my opinion.

Why do people like you not understand that using a different OS is a personal choice? Linux is not the answer to everything.

but then doesn't that make your PC less useful.

At present a windows box is a browser, game machine, and a work station.

IT's gaming that is the biggie, it's really what pushes computer manufacturer's to make better products. It's certainly not windows office products that are doing it.

No Cortana. Which, even when you "disable" it, still runs in the background.

I have win 8.1 nothing serious here.

Your ignorance is not a shield from unpleasant truths

fucking end your life right goddamn now.

Old hardware, should work just fine.

Might need bumblebee, but optimus configs are a minor speedbump in the worst cases

got an extra ssd/hdd? slap one in and mess around with it

It's not ignorance. I want to play games, so I shall go ahead and do that on a Windows PC because gaming on linux is a no-no. Linux has advantages, but it also has a fuck load of disadvantages which don't well suit some users needs.

Windows at least has some user friendliness, where as linux basically is made to fuck you.

I vidya everyday on Linux. I own like 200 native titles ( not counting Wine or console emus)

The more that people adopt, the more devs make native ports.

people forget windows used to be a fucking joke for gaming for it's first 13 years

I did it and first, my sound card got fucked up, then I upgraded all my drivers and my USB ports got fucked
I returned to W7 and everything was solved
Don't upgrade that shit, is worse than cancer

I'm thinking of the fn-keys plus the config tools, provided by the vendor.

batterie-config does not even work under 10 anymore (charging-tresholds) - shitty enough.

OP here. I did it. Surprised this thread is still here. So far so good. Everything I've tried has worked. I play Tanki (tank game) online and it even looks and works better. Looks the same as my Windows 7 too. I was afraid it was going to be all tiles or whatever you call it, but it still looks like 7.

Never.
I made the mistake of upgrading.
I have never gotten used to it.

Don't give a fuck about DX12.
Don't give a fuck about upgrading anymore.

Everything I've read about Shit10, I fucking hate it.

Ugly ass shit-ware just like 8 and 8.1.
I will not join you faggots in the new OS bullshit.

Win7 will be on this computer until I have to build a new one, and install Shit10 just to keep my hardware happy.

If you jumped the gun. I pity you.

I had previously updated my crappy windows 8 laptop to 10 and I figured it would like that, but it doesn't. Still looks like Windows 7, my same wallpaper, my same shortcuts. I have to figure out how to get rid of Cortana and find the equivalent of Control Panel, but so far I'm happy I upgraded.

Windows 10 is a unfinished os very buggy and a load of compatability problems dont do it op

I guess I jumped the gun because I did it. It still looks like 7 and so far works better. I may end up eating my words, but so far I'm glad I did it.

too late
see
and
I done did it

Sure buddy - crappy 10 year old cheap ass-hardware seems to not be fully supported..

sucks, hu..?

I dont have any laptops where those keys aren't supported out-of-box.

It's somewhat ironic, but the driver ecosystem is worse under windows, because if the mfg doesnt provide a driver for your win ver, your screwed.

Linux ecosystem rolls up opensource drivers (often revgineered) into the kernel.

I rarely have to hunt drivers under linux, but I have written a good number of them which are either available on git or already merged into the mainstream kernel

anyway...
brianlinkletter.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-another-excellent-inexpensive-linux-laptop/

ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201102-7326/

that's old too, newer distros are going to have even more hw support

I have Windows 10. If you have a native Windows 10 computer, with a good GPU, it's okay, but VERY buggy.

However, if you have a native Windows 7/8 computer or have a shitty GPU or no GPU at all, do not even consider upgrading to Windows 10. It will demolish your computer and shit will start crashing and stop working.

Needing a good GPU to run Windows 10 has nothing to do with gaming, there are so many fucking problems on Windows 10 that don't fix themselves unless your GPU is decent by today's standard

have win10, its really not bad at all

sorry, didnt >> hard enough

see

supposedly the old win key still works, so if you upgrade and then decide fuck it, you can reinstall the old os. make sure you have the key though.

Yeah it looks like it. But, dude.

Look at it this way.
See Win7 as a bitch who's treated you good no matter what.

Then here comes Win10.
Hey bby, I've got new feature that'll improve your gaming and habits on the computer.

I'm not fucking retarded; and I most certainly do not need them to make it easier to work on a computer.
It's not rocket science as most people see it as.

Is this that "Her" movie or someshit? I mean if I wanted to fuck my computer, I'd rip one of my 120mm fans out and turn it into a silicone pussy.

Also, when a person attempts to sell you something this fucking hard.. Would you trust them? Would you do it just to get them to shut up?

I wouldn't.
I won't.

>Vulcan
>Better than dx12

Are you autistic?

thx for your effort, bro

someday I shall try it

Quick question for anyone who has the info..

I know there are ways to remove GWX.exe
I don't feel like fucking doing it.

So when this free shit ends.. Will Win7 finally update and remove itself on it's own? Or will it still tell me to put the OS lotion on my skin?

I'd rather the sheeny fucks remove it themselves than force me to shoot them in the head with a program that snuffs the cancer.

If you don't like win10 then windows keeps a backup of win7 for 3 months.

I play game all the time, m8. I'm working through a backlog here...

Everyone in my inner circle is on Linux and we game together a lot, even do lan parties fairly often.

We're at the point where it's similar to console exclusive titles.

You don't want great games to come out exclusively on the Wiiu, do you? No, you want to play it on god-tier hardware with better controls (or at least a choice)

>Also, when a person attempts to sell you something this fucking hard.. Would you trust them? Would you do it just to get them to shut up?
hahaha, well I can't argue with that. Guess we'll see how I feel in 25 days or so. If shit starts fucking up I'll go back to 7

It's Vulkan, nigger
learn your shit and check your privilege

Some older programs will not be compatible, but some games will run faster. Also it's spyware. If all you want to do is abide by the law and play the latest games like a casual, then you should upgrade to Windows 10.

If I buy a new laptop how can I get it to windows 7

Give it a shot dude. I know I'm a bit dramatic about it.. But, I feel like they have personally invaded my PC asshole and I'm pretty salty.

Hopefully it goes well for you.. I just can't find myself to do it. I love Win7 like alcoholics love a good fifth of Jack.

What are some glitches you've seen happen to upgraded Windows 10?

window 10 is the future yo can get it now for free
or PAY $$$ for it later
but you will eventally get it if you if want it or not

do not listen to the stupid windows XP retards
or the Linux fuckers, (least the Linux fuckers have point but no market share, so its windows or bust)

>I play game all the time, m8.
Cool. I hope you enjoy one of the 5 linux exclusives.
>Everyone in my inner circle is on Linux and we game together a lot, even do lan parties fairly often.
OS isn't dependent for this. I do the same regularly with my friends on Windows.
>No, you want to play it on god-tier hardware with better controls (or at least a choice)
Why would there be a difference in hardware between a Win and a Linux PC? In terms of OS, for gaming, DX is much better than linux equivalents. Gaming is better on Windows.

>so its windows or bust

Go to cortona and type in System32

Delete it.
Then pour a cup of water on your piece of shit Dell or HP.

Also, I already know this by the way you talk

You should really clean up your desktop. It looks like an autistic man broke in one night and made multiple .txt files that say

> "vasaline works well for gay penetration"

My pc is 6 years old already so I would need to buy win10 for next pc anyway so I rather use 7 to 2021

>least the Linux fuckers have point but no market share

There's Steam on Linux and Steam Box (an Ubuntu/Debian OS for Steam games).

For everything else, like word processing, web surfing, email, chat, there's no real diference between OS's.

Everyone will upgrade eventually, so it doesn't really matter any ways.

Can I use my Win 8 product key to reinstall it anytime after upgrading to Win 10?

>linux exclusives
What is this, the fucking console wars? who the fuck wants exclusives?

>OS isn't dependent for this. I do the same regularly with my friends on Windows.
ofc... just because windows has games isn't evidence Linux does not, nor is the reverse true...

>No, you want to play it on god-tier hardware with better controls (or at least a choice)
maybe I phrased that poorly.
I'm comparing the attitudes PC users (PC is inclusive of all OS, btw) vs. console exclusives.

If a great game is a a console exclusive, and you're a PC gamer, you [probably] would prefer it on your PC that you'd rather use.

i.e., you may not want to buy Wiiu anymore you want to have a shitty, bloated, spyware OS running on your rig

I've got like 200 native [mostly] commercial game titles, not counting a the bazillions from emulations and/or Wine.

Provided you have the installation disc.

After 30 days, you cannot revert back to your old OS.

i went from 7 to 10 and i dont regret it at all.
windows 10 looks nice and smooth and my gaming performance is exactly the same

Just about everything can go wrong, really.
Driver incompatibility, programs can be slow or bug out, even heard of a guy who had their hard drives wiped.

That said, I popped Windows 10 on a completely new PC build since HP doesn't allow its win7 recovery tools to be used on anything but the original motherboard. Some kind of copy protection, apparently.

Either way, it's better safe than sorry

hahahaha you make me laugh, I do not buy any branded horseshit I've only built my own since the 90's

shows what you know (TM)

No.
It's shit, it's annoying, it's noisy, nothing work and it changes shit for you, then you change the settings back, then it thinks you were kidding, so changes it back to default for you.
lol, fucking windows, you crazay.

I mean.
People like the way shit looks.

But, we're not looking for a fucking response in it's aesthetic pleasure.

I can easily look in the toilet to imagine someone enjoying the feature of shit.

No. I know several people who have "upgraded", none of them liked it.

Just cause you added a GPU to your Dell rig from best buy; doesn't mean you've "built your own"

NAME THE FIRST FUCKING THING YOU DO WHEN YOU BUILD A COMPUTER
or gtfo