What's the difference between Avant-garde and Experimental Music?

What's the difference between Avant-garde and Experimental Music?

these DUBS

ones ahead of the standard and one is trying ideas

Avant-garde pushes musical boundaries and expectations
Experimental music is music created using the experimental process

experimental = when the artists try something new to them
avant-garde = when the artists do something new to the art world

avant garde is a relative / arbitrary term.

experimental music is a useless throwaway umbrella term.

>new to them
LOL

So I suppose Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven was experiential grunge-hop then?

Dumbass

Sounds like you don't know what either mean. Why bother posting?

>different option than me
>Why bother posting?
This fucking place, Jesus Christ.

>standard definitions of concrete concepts are arbitrary and, just, like, your opinion, man
Not how it works

Then fucking Google what each term means, for Christ's sake. Your question isn't conducive to discussion if you just want to objectivist diction of what either term refers to.

Why bother posting?

you'd be correct
of course, I don't expect someone who listens to kid kudi to understand that

Insecurities detected.

t. projected

I'm not OP you dummy

>t. literal fucking child
Minute changes in an artist's sound =! experimental because it's not with respect to the artist themselves.

By the same criteria, this astroturf news media fodder is experimental rock music.
Not an argument detected.

>t. projected

Oh, so you're projecting? Or did you see someone here use it while you just have no idea what that actually means?

Oh, so you're the fag that hops into a worthwhile discussion just to remind everyone that dictionaries exist.

Crawl back into the locker you were stuffed into, why don't you.

Nope, I already answered OP's question.

Please read the thread before posting. it would really cut back on how much of an idiot you look like.

Yes I was projecting. I've been a veteran of countless pointless internet arguments such as this one. Heaven forbid I try to offer help one post at a time. Even if it makes me look like a jackass (such as yourself :^)

This isn't a Q&A, ya fucking narcissist. It's a thread. Anyone can respond however they want to.

If you already answered his question, then why don't you leave?
>Heaven forbid I try to offer help one post at a time.
Buddy, I'm not ya fucking therapist.

>Anyone can respond however they want to.
See

Ok, give me one example of avantg-garde music and one example of experimental music and explain how they're different.

Also
>having autism

>By the same criteria, this astroturf news media fodder is experimental rock music
And it is
Why does that bother you so much? lol
You can keep naming trendy releases, keep calling me names and I'll keep being correct

>You can keep naming trendy releases, keep calling me names and I'll keep being correct
>motherfucking Will Toledo is experimental to this guy
Paging This is what I'm talking about.

I already explained it here But since you seem to lack critical thought:
Avant-garde - Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band
Experimental - I Am Sitting In A Room by Alvin Lucier

>Also
>>having autism
I wouldn't know. What is it like?

>Paging (You)
>This is what I'm talking about.
Why are you paging me? I'm not involved in that conversation.

>motherfucking Will Toledo is experimental to this guy
Well I never listened to him so I can't really say that
But to me it sounds that you're turbomad because suddenly you don't have lots of patrician cred for listening to "experimental" shit like Animal Collective or Beach Boys, bands that rarely make anything they are not used to

Because criteria for which art is categorized is never concrete, although I generally agree with the examples you provided.

>you don't have lots of patrician cred for listening to "experimental" shit like Animal Collective or Beach Boys
>"experimental" shit
>Animal Collective
>Beach Boys
You can leave now.

>Because criteria for which art is categorized is never concrete
While that is true, "experimental" and "avant-garde" have specific definitions and criteria. I'm sure you and I would both agree the concepts are misused.

I have not heard Will Toledo, but what I know of him it would neither be experimental (since his music is not made specifically using the experimental process in which the outcome is unknown) not avant-garde (it's just the run-of-the-mill lo-fi bedroom pop and indie rock, right?)

Again, I haven't heard Carstart Headache or whatever, but that's my impression

can't argue with drones :)
>Because criteria for which art is categorized is never concrete
That's it then
600 years of studies on western art just flushed down the toilet by this mastermind
I'm out

>600 years of studies on western art just flushed down the toilet by this mastermind
LOL yes, studied with the expressed interests of how we compartmentalize such things. Get the fuck outta here.
>breadth of emotional depth and character conveyed in language and music
>having anymore than surface level intersection
Complete fucking moron.
I don't have the energy for this.

>Beach Boys, bands that rarely make anything they are not used to
Well, technically The Beach Boys have made both avant-garde and experimental music

Brian Wilson attempted to push the boundaries of pop music with the SMiLE album (avant-garde), a project that utilized many sound experiments with an unforeseeable outcome (experimental).

Why post on a music board if you don't know anything about it?

Retard altert.

How am I wrong?

idiot

Non argument