What are the best one room-set movies?

What are the best one room-set movies?

Except for the obvious like the breakfast club, dog day afternoon, or reservoir dogs.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xbjvgc_budd-dwyer_news
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Live_Walter_Jameson
twitter.com/AnonBabble

12 Angry men is GOAT for single location films

12 Angry Men
The Sunset Limited

My man.

Glengarry Glen Ross

Kinda.

The Thing and Hateful Eight

This movie looks awesome.
This is one of the obvious ones I was talking about, but great one. I love it.

I don't remember the title but it was some gas station hold up situation in the middle of the desert. It came out in the 90s and I remember liking it as a kid. It was also a comedy. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

it's very slow and will be tedious if you aren't into dialogue and character

if you are then it's good as you would expect

this isn't single set..but it's from david mamet who is one of the greatest writers ever..and this was his baby

it Is awesome

SFW?

I remember it being good in a bad 90s movie way.

Yo I saw the hateful eight in theaters, I loved it. I liked the thing also. Not as much as the hateful eight.
Ill check that one out.

It looks good, if I wasn't into dialogue and character I don't think I would asking for these kind of movies.

Apocalypse Now

>mametbro on Sup Forums
hell yeah

here's one of the best ever made then

timeless

>Rope
>0 results

I have to get to work so I would respond, but I would appreciate it if there were still people giving recs. Thanks to all that recommended something. And one room-set movies general.

Jut discussion and recs if you want, thanks again.

The Man from Earth

Sleuth is pretty much one location

Oleanna

Fermat's Room. Four mathematicians are lured together to a remote location where they must solve a series of riddles while the room gets crushed by hydraulic presses.

Saw

Shit nigga you can't just go busting out a classic like this without warning

The Man From Earth

>College professors discuss many topics with a colleague who claims to be thousands of years old.

It's not the greatest movie ever, i'd give it a solid "good". I mainly like it because it feels exactly like someone found a lost original Twilight Zone script and then made it into a movie in 2007.

Speaking of Twilight Zone there are quite a few great ones that take place in a single room or location.

Buried

pretty minimal sets

excellent movie

fpbp

wizard, was just about to post this when i saw thread

DAMMIT, M NIGHT, YOU FUCKING HACK. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT

I never saw that, was there a twist. Was there a demon?

Maybe.

The dialogue was atrocious, though.

I enjoyed this movie. Pretty good twist at the end.

Maybe?? What the fuck?

1408 is pretty decent.
Also 12 Angry Men.

Neither take place exclusively in a room, but about 80 to 90% of it does.

I think that conceptually this fits the bill of a 1-set movie but there are actually a pretty large number of scenes that take place outside the single room.

Yes, the twist is that the old woman is the devil/demon.

He's trying to not spoil the movie. A large part of the plot is whether there is a demon or if one of them is a serial killer. If that sounds interesting to you to bad because the movie is poorly executed.

user ought to love it. it's about incest.

>gas station hold up situation
So close.
It's called Hold Up with Jaime Foxx

Too stoned right now
Held Up*

Cube is great. Haven't seen a movie that has done the concept better.

PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN. Coffee's for closers.

I liked Coherence a lot.

Does Compliance count?

INSERTS

Would someone else just watch this already?

Beat me to it.

ayyy came to make sure this was posted

Frozen.

The way that's constructed none of the walls would move.

It works friendo, they actually built it for the film.

Cube series (First one is good, the others bleh)
Exam (its ok)
Moon (not one room, but the feel is similar)
Coherence (really liked this one)
The Invitation (good, also not just one room but similar feel)
Fermat Room (decent for what it is)
Circle (good concept, mediocre actors)
Time Lapse (its ok)
Hidden (good)
Parallels (great concept for a tv show that was canceled, mediocre actors)
The Man from Earth (good)
Buried (very good)
1408 (decent)
Phone Booth (good)

Those are the ones that i remember, love the genre, you have any more recommendations.

I'm new here and I've seen this movie mentioned like 15 times in two days.
Am I being memed hard or what?
I thought it was meh-core scifi.

It does work, every wall pushes diagonally not in parallel.

Its a low budget sci-fi but very well done, the first one at least, not a meme.

Parallels is essentially a modern remake of sliders. And it would have been so much fun as a Tv series.

What did you like about Coherence? I haven't watched it but I might based on your recommendation.

The Killing Room fits in, not a bad watch

don't expect too much from it, but it's a cool concept and does what it sets out to do.

Miss me yet?

Its a great play on the "what if" of parallel universes, can't tell you more without spoiling it, actors are top notch most of them.

Oh yeah forgot about this one, its watchable.

The starting scene of Inglorious Bastards shits on everything posted so far

Thanks for reminding me. Got to get my Pond on!

Nah.

this

You know, I was extremely happy that Tarantino returned to his stage play-esque style with the hateful eight.

those things just work really well

I found Hateful Eight rather boring, not worth a movie ticket imo, maybe the expectations were too high.

Obvious pick

op said best not worst

It was a good movie but it shouldn't of been 3 hours long.

well all the movies in between the hateful eight and reservoir dogs do spoil the atmosphere

but if the hateful eight came out a couple of years after reservoir dogs, you might see things differently

(maybe)

Misery

Right. I think it's his 2nd best movie. I've watched it 4 times and feel like I could plenty more.

Carnage.

Rope and Rear Window are both great Hitchcock one room films.

I prefer Rear Window because of Jimmy Stewart.

Starting with Inglorious Basterds, he's had too much reliance on slow talking scenes. They get tedious. IB admittedly probably did it the best with the underground bar scene, and it feels like every subsequent film tries to do repeat this, but to not nearly the same effect. The pacing of his films has gotten significantly slower, with decisive action coming at the end of a 15-20 minute scene of characters talking. Compare the tediousness of The Hateful Eight to, say, Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2. It's not like kill Bill didn't have tension, but it knew when to begin the action that all the talking would inevitably lead up to. Hes losing his touch fast, imo.

Plays in general are 100% more entertaining and enthralling than movies. That's why it's so fun when a movie does these one-room things. To all you anons, if you live in a rather large city head down to your university/city college and check out their plays. Well worth it.

they filmed that at the warehouse a block away from where i live. they tore it down to put parking there.

That and God on Trial.

Dogville is kind of this, it's set in a town, but it's shot all on one set, and there are no structures, all the walls and doors of the houses in town are just lines painted on the floor.

dailymotion.com/video/xbjvgc_budd-dwyer_news

always a classic

Oh, forgot these ones

10 Cloverfield Lane (i watched it today, good movie with very good actors)
Tusk (fun movie)
Air (decent)
The Purge (first one good, second decent)

For different reasons. I know where you're coming from, but having a cinematic camera placed among these one room scenes. If you have not seen High and Low and The Lower Depths by Kurosawa, I highly recommend them. Kurosawa was a lover of theater too, and he combines the thoughtful blocking of actors you'd find in a stage play with the fluidity that a camera can present to create some really dynamic scenes.

Lower Depths, one of Kurosawa's lesser known but excellent movies

i just love how fucking smug this guy is

>10 cloverfield lane

What a disappointment. Good actors but I didn't get a sense of any development and the ending can just go fuck itself.

guy can block like no one else

I was told this was filmed all in one take? Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Already spoiled it saying there are parallel universes

10 Cloverfield Lane is a pretty good movie that fumbles the ending. It just didn't know where to stop.

I appreciate having the girl drive off to fight the aliens and not "run away from her troubles" as bringing her arc full circle, but it wasn't worth 15 minutes of pissing away the movie on a goofy fight with the flying saucer.

Honestly, if they ended with her seeing the ship and then showed her driving away, or just cut after she sees the ship as a punchline, it would have been fine.

Jimmy Stewart was really great in Rope too, though I do prefer him as a main character

is this more subtle in motion? might as well have a visible grid in every shot

Kurosawa always blocks his scenes in very showy ways

My Finger With Andre

What do you mean no development?
The next movie is going to connect story lines with both movies if that is what you wanted.

Not at all.

Yeah i thought that the ending was a very fast change of pace but i guess that they thought it was a good tie-in for what was about to come in the "third" one.

Perfect shots of what I was talking about. The Lower Depths in particular has the camera peeling back layers of that one room in a way that introduces all the characters. It's really interesting.

he shot the living fuck out of that room, listened to Donald Richie's commentary track, has some really good bits about composition. might wind up rewatching it again, was really surprised how compelling the movie is considering how restrained it is compared to his other jidaigeki films.

>a colleague who claims to be thousands of years old.

Wut?

Wait Until Dark.

>I mainly like it because it feels exactly like someone found a lost original Twilight Zone script and then made it into a movie in 2007.

dude that literally is a Twilight Zone episode