nuvoid.blogspot.ca/2010/01/sun-ra-sunday_17.html
mega.nz/#F!3oh0UaxB!ezIK2-7RBRbvzSRpre8W0w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=62xHsMa1siI

GUIDE TO HERBIE HANCOCK:

Where to start:

If you want standard jazz:
Takin' Off (1962)
Inventions and Dimensions (1963) [Uses a lot of samba percussion, personal favorite of his standard period]
Empyrean Isles (1964)
Maiden Voyage (1965)

If you want Funk Jazz:
Fat Albert Rotunda (1969)
Headhunters (1972)
Thrust (1974)
Man Child (1975)
Directstep (1979)
Mr Hands (1980)

If you like experimental jazz:
The Mwandishi trilogy (Mwandishi, Crossings, and Sextant, respectively).

If you like electronic and Disco:
Sunlight (1978)
Feet's Don't Fail Me Now (1979)
Future Shock (1983)
Sound System (1984)

Other greats:
The Prisoner (1969)
Secrets (1976)
Sunlight (1978)
The Piano (1979)
Dis Is Da Drum (1993)
The New Standard (1996)

youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&t=1712s

very early sun ra

youtube.com/watch?v=lyJ_H7h98ro

The Prisoner and the Piano are incredible but the other "greats," and lots of the funk and all the disco albums are trash man. also i wouldnt consider the mwandishi trilogy really experimental. then again this is just your friendly herbie-hancock-shitpost-in-jazz-thread, so godspeed man

...But it wasn't a shitpost that time it was my genuine attempt at a guide :(

Thanks for the critique anyway, I'll keep that in mind next time.

I CAN FEEL IT

youtube.com/watch?v=MfVcjpT5cYU

IN MY SOUL

I WANT TO LEAVE THIS PLANET

youtu.be/zdlaf_wwEQo?t=22s

TAKE ME AWAY JOHN

TAKE

ME

AWAY

WHEN I SHUT MY EYES

youtube.com/watch?v=IuH3Oplu_1c

I SEE SAXOPHONES

why so much hype for this album

/jazz/ general starting up again?

doubt it

Have you tried listening to any albums Hancock has played on that aren't under his own name? Some of his best work was as a sideman.

Also, I see why you've grouped it that way, but there's a whole world between Takin' Off and Empyrean Isles - I really wouldn't call the latter "standard"...

I listened to Water Babies and I'm gonna listen to "On the Corner" soon.

Also I'm not sure what you meant by "a whole world between" the two albums. I grouped them because they were more straight forward jazz than Herbies other works.

I know, but I don't think Empyrean Isles (or even Maiden Voyage) is that straightforward compared to Takin' Off.

Pic related is one of my favourite albums featuring Hancock.

What makes it less straightforward?

And I'll give that a listen when I can.

That's a great one. Probably my favorite Sam Rivers work next to Fuchsia Swing Song.

I have almost the whole Sun Ra discography and half of it is not so great

is it superman ? is it a plane ?

no, it's the Hawk !

Love Gary Burton, best song in this album has to be Las Vegas Tango

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmv3Ey1cjV0

Around 3:05 I think the drummer and guitar lose their shit in an amazingly spectacular way

Lol ya hope you like the space is the place melody cause youre going to be hearing it another 30-40 000 times as you go along

I got 33.5 GB of Ra myself... have I gone too far?

Well when you have hundreds of albums not every one will be a masterpiece.

My favorite is his funky fusion era
Lanquidity
Sleepy Beauty
On Jupiter
Strange Celestial Road

you guys know about that recording of the Arkestra playing at some high school when Sunny puts a curse on the school because they cut the set short?

funny stuff

Link

Inmediately

my deepest apologies something came up

but i got u, famn

some info:
nuvoid.blogspot.ca/2010/01/sun-ra-sunday_17.html

the school's name is JP Whidney high school in Watts, the blog spells it "Widney" but I found it on soulseek using "Whidney". also I have 2 versions apparently and they have different track lists but have the same "The Curse" track. theres other rare curiosities by the arkestra you can find on slsk too if ur so inclined; jams, rehearsals, etc

mega.nz/#F!3oh0UaxB!ezIK2-7RBRbvzSRpre8W0w

wew. that whole thing sounds very bizarre, and pretty funny. People liked jazz in 1972? Like Sun Ra jazz? Like people would let Sun Ra play his jazz for handicapped middle schoolers? and the middle school administrators would let that happen? and then the custodians would just turn off the lights to stop his performance? that's what they thought the best way to handle that was? and then sun ra would yell all that shit in front of a bunch of handicapped 12-year-olds?

the fbi following the arkestra for a casual association with the black panthers is pretty funny too.

rofl I know right. legitimate questions all.

I guess they couldnt get The Osmonds or whoever was popular at the time so they went with the jazz geezers who dress like ther in the japanese circus

Have been listening to pic quite a bit based on a rec from both jtg here and a quick peek at the records the Penguin guide has given a crown to.

It's something between a work by Debussy or Stravinsky and free jazz. Most of it is just Jimmy on his clarinet with the bass guy and piano guy occasionally coming in, but Jimmy's technique is so proficient on the clarinet along with the work in general having that bit of classical style complexity to it that it never feels boring.

Like if an impressionist painting was deconstructed, post-modern style.