Are big rock bands dead forever?

Are big rock bands dead forever?

When there is a big rock concert all of the bands are made of 60 yr olds.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA
youtube.com/watch?v=jEtWy_HPpa0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The last truly HUGE rock band (at least here in the uk) was probably Oasis honestly

There are so many ways you can say this with so many paragraphs and arguments and essays but I'll keep it simple.
Yes, big rock bands are dead forever.

10 years ago shit like this was going top 40 in America
youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA

What happened?

in america it was My Chemical Romance

Skrillex happened.

Literally that generations smells like teen spirit

Think late 2000s pop. It went electronic.

no, American Idiot was the SLTS of the 2000s

Not even remotely close.

Hint: WHEN I WAS

Is Radiohead not a rock band?

I think Deftones are the most relevant rock band right now and the oldest members are both 46 so I'd have to agree they're getting up there and being a huge rock band is now an old man's game.

>Is Radiohead not a rock band?
Yes, but with electronic elements. They were not even close to being as big as Oasis was though. They're pretty big, but Oasis was huge.

For all but three years in the 90s in the UK. It's so fucking insignificant Oasis are about as actually important as the fart I just ripped.

A YOUNG BOY

Oasis was never popular. All they had was fucking Wonderwall and thats it.

Dude, Fall Out Boy was at the TOP of the world for two albums. People always seeming to forget about this

Really? That's surprising. Here in America it was the opposite. At least it seemed that way to me. Radiohead has their share of heavy songs and moments probably rivaling Oasis and I never felt the electronic elements were prominent enough to disqualify them. However I think it's all a moot point since Thom Yorke is staring 50 in the face.

>Oasis
>HUGE
one moderately successful pop single does not a huge rock band mate

You mean 3 albums.

shame 4th was a flop, it was their best one.

fuck oasis
they don't even deserve to be considered rock

These guys had a sure fire ticket to being legitamitely the biggest band in the world but they are pop punk pussies and are afraid of cocaine and unlocking their true potential through drugs.
As messed up as it sounds that is what it takes.

save rock and roll?

I mean, Black Sabbath put out some of the best music ever recorded in 4 years and specifically thanked COKE. Led Zeppelin has a similar tale. Pink Floyd, same....and let us not forget David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy was made "on a diet of milk, cocaine, and red peppers" over the course of 3 years.

sure, but they were rock enjoyed ironically by young people. It's almost like the guitar was ironic and old at that point. Blame Blink 182

true artists don't need coke

Who was the last huge rock band? White Stripes?

MUH FATHER

The top 2 full length albums in this year's Decibel magazine list are both from Denver

Coincidence?

Define huge. I think Radiohead are huge and Deftones are big plus the most relevant I think.

I'd say Foo Fighters are still with it but they are bordering on aging and phasing out. Saw them last year and a huge venue, but not as big as where Iron Maiden was playing.

I could see how someone would argue Coldplay as the largest currently modern touring (soft) rock band at the moment. Fall Out Boy following behind, then Panic at the Disco, The Killers, and Twenty One Pilots on their way to full stadium shows.

Queens of the Stone Age

It's weird how U2 still does these huge tours but haven't had a hit in 10 years.

Car Seat Headrest are at least poised to become huge and Will is only 23

If their next album is just a little bit better and maybe something miraculous could be done to address their band name then i think they could do it.

St Vincent

don't forget MUSE.

And those guys were actually amazing at one point

never heard

who?

Can't say I know them sorry

Probably 2nd most relevant rock album of the year behind Deftones

Actually you're right, TTTYG wasn't a huge success until after Cork Tree.

so 2 albums it is.

Folie is their Pinkerton.

huh
i've literally never heard of them

they're not good

what about the Hot Topic bands

it was just a promotional thing. Ignore it

Well when I say relevant I mean musically not popularity. For example I think artists like Ty Segall and King Gizzard are too entrenched in aesthetics almost 50 years old.

2014 - St Vincent was very good and huge
2015 - of Montreal was excellent and big

i don't know them either

go to bed will

but yeah you're right

yea folie was so fucking good the only problem i had with the album was that the cd booklet didn't come with lyrics and i didn't understand half of what patrick was saying until recently.

The last St Vincent album was huge. She did SNL and all kinds of stuff. Very good record to say the least.

Yes I am Will. AMA

And actually I just woke up so you're stuck with me.

What do we even classify today's popular music as? A lot of it feels like a return to '70s funk, but more restrained and less natural.

Future funk
Dreamwave

Are you serious? I hate Oasis' music myself but they were a fucking massive band

>Oasis have had eight UK number-one singles and eight UK number-one albums
>won fifteen NME Awards
>nine Q Awards
>four MTV Europe Music Awards
>six Brit Awards, including one in 2007 for Outstanding Contribution to Music and one for the Best album of the Last 30 Years

>sold over 70 million records worldwide
>listed in the Guinness World Records book in 2010 for "Longest Top 10 UK Chart Run by a Group after an unprecedented run of 22 top 10 hits in the UK
>The band also holds the Guinness World Record for being the most successful act in the UK between the years 1995 and 2005, spending 765 weeks in the top 75 singles and albums charts

youtube.com/watch?v=jEtWy_HPpa0