Why is mainstream hip hop given respect amongst the indie scene and on the internet (like Sup Forums and pitchfork and...

Why is mainstream hip hop given respect amongst the indie scene and on the internet (like Sup Forums and pitchfork and other stuff); stuff like Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, ASAP, Lil Wayne; it's often heavily discussed and analyzed.

But mainstream rock is treated with complete disrespect and dismissal? stuff like Panicat the disco, MCR, etc. pitchfork doesnt even bother, most music publications think its a total joke

why the difference? is it just white guilt, or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7qFF2v8VsaA
youtu.be/Vh6GSAO04dM
letmegooglethat.com/?q=how does metacritic weight reviews
youtu.be/KpxtfI8Bn8w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stop reading pitchfork, its the buzzfeed of music reviews

And read what, The Wire? I think not.

dont read pitchfork,rolling stone,fantano,scarufi or any other big headed idiot or magazine,they make lists just to please their readers,work from riri was the 7th best song of the year according to pitch.
Now that i ve answered your question,tell me who that semen demon is

>work from riri was the 7th best song of the year according to pitch
seems fair to me desu

Because it's the most important modern genre. Most multinational and multicultural.

>mainstream rock
nosuchthing

it wasn't top 10 oty but it was better than the songs they put ahead of it desu

White liberals place blacks on a much lower standard than whites. They deride shitty white artists like Skrillex then praise equally shitty black artists.

>And read what, The Wire? I think not.
>Oh man if I don't have a publication to tell me what I'm supposed to like how will I know what I'm supposed to like!
You don't need to read anything. Conduct your own research on music and find what you like.

youtube.com/watch?v=7qFF2v8VsaA

>90 million views

make up your own opinions

patrican detected.

superior song coming though: youtu.be/Vh6GSAO04dM

How the hell is that rock music? It's on Fueled By Ramen for Christ's sake.

A lot of hip publications are incredibly myopic, mainstream rock since the '90s being a particularly obvious blindspot. You only have to look at the NME (in spite of occasionally having Paramore on the cover occasionally or w/e) slowly bleeding out over the course of the past fifteen years while Kerrang and Rock Sound still have circulations in the tens of thousands to see that focusing primarily on "indie rock" with the occasionally awkward attempting at kowtowing to grime and hip-hop instead of whatever bullshit metalcore hybrid is getting teenagers' ears this week is is p misguided.

I feel like P4K are in a weird situation where they've partially jettisoned the indie shit which is their bread and butter except for incredibly obvious on-brand shit like Parquet Courts, with the occasional exception of something like the 1975 or the Hotelier or whatever emo-leaning rock group Ian Cohen's into this week. I dunno. Attempting to include mainstream rap is a step in the right direction but the music press is still dying (with the exception of an Amazing-Atheist-impersonating melon) so it's probably too late to hope for anything other than craven clutching to whatever'll make a profit at this point. Fair play desu.

MCR (and to a lesser extent P!ATD) were among the greatest rock bands of the '00s, it's weird that more people don't acknowledge it.

*the occasional awkward attempt

It's very clearly pop-rock autismo.

It was also nominated for Rock Album of the year.

>implying

>labels having anything to do with genres

why are you posting pijin gril

she looks like Putin

I miss rap city on BET
they always had good hip hop and it wasn't all mainstream shit

for starters that's a bit of a false dichotomy

the hip hop equivalent of panic at the disco is shit like pitbull, black eyed peas flo-rida. most music sites don't acknowledge that they exist either

stuff like a$ap is still "mainstream" but no more mainstream than the mainstream indie pitchfork-type sites used to cover. it's just that hip hop is the trendy thing now

just seems like you're trying to force the white guilt narrative. you probably could have done that quite easily without being disingenuous if you really wanted to, but the reality is just that hip hop is cool right now and when the time comes pitchfork and co. will hop to the next trend

that's a good way to get shat on

>implying there's a bad way

>B-but how am I supposed to know if I like something without reviews?

Pathetic.

Seriously why do people need these websites? Why can't they just listen to shit and decide if they like it?

There's too much shit to sift through

how else can i pretend my taste in music is valid?

isn't music objective???

most people are not really that interested in music they just kinda want to be up to date on all the cultural talking points so they can fit in with everyone else

Normie detected

You're not trying to listen to everything. Just find a path you wanna go down and do it. It's not hard. And most of these "journalists" have shit taste so you're better off on your own

She is russian

>believing sites that give garbage albums like TLOP good reviews

yikes

you don't "believe" them you just use them for suggestions of shit to try out

It's not about believing them about whether it's good or not, it's about keeping up with the shit that's happening and then making up your own mind.
Pitchfork etc. are notoriously bad at explaining whether music is good or bad, their primary function is basically curation of whatever is interesting or current. They're not very good at that either, but neither are fumbling Sup Forums autodidacts with ten hours of free time a day to skim through Rateyourmusic, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't say I NEED them but I like to flip through reviews and if the description sounds like something I'd enjoy I'll check it out. Doesn't cost anything.

ew

3/10 desu

how about finding stuff you like on your own?

is that too hard? doubt it.

>is it just white guilt, or what?

100% seriously, yes.

for what purpose

>Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, ASAP, Lil Wayne
all shit tier, dont worry
>Panicat the disco, MCR, etc.
also shit tier, possibly worry

>MCR
>shit

absolute pleb, immediate suicide recommended.

Nah mostly it's that nobody has been doing anything interesting in rock for like 10 years now. MCR and PATD included. I don't think Rick Ross or ASAP have been relevant for at least 5 years though so those aren't the best examples.

when Panic at the Disco and MCR is the best you can come up with, it's definitely not

>le everyone that isn't exactly like me is an sjew meme

it's funny how people complain about white guilt but try to make people feel guilty for liking black artists more than white ones

also yeah let's praise mediocre music cause it's made by white people (b-b-but they're the ones who praise mediocre music because of skin color!)

i hope op will become the defener for buttrock like three days grace and nickelback and papa roach

reddit is down the hall and to the left

thanks for proving my first point

go back to your safe space

>white people unironically listen to rap, trap and all its shitty variations and derivatives

>sjew

r/gamerghazi detected

I don't know any mainstream hip hop that's analyzed for lyrical content besides kendrick lamar and eminem

isn't it hilarious how eminem is the most successful rapper ever
and that plenty of people will talk about how hip hop isn't real music but he's the exception
and so many people go on to talk about how deep he is despite him writing more about killing people and doing drugs more than anything actually deep yet people never realize that

but no it's clearly not cause he's white :^)

It is.

he's a bad lyricist but then he's usually compared to 0/10s

>2 bands who have never released an album with lukewarm or negative reception don't count

lol

panic have always been considered shite and MCR have never gotten anything more than lukewarm reception

The Wire is easily the best music publication right now.

They were great back then. Their newer stuff is very shitty, popular or not.

Because when rappers get big they're either talented, profit hungry criminals or both. Watching them compete from the top is fun.

Even if you don't like their music they're interesting character studies in most cases.

I don't feel like 2 Chainz, ASAP, or Lil Wayne get analyzed much more than any pop artists

>2 bands who have never released an album with lukewarm or negative reception don't count

lmao, are you sure you're talking about those two bands

The Wire is prententious shit for people who pride themselves on how much they reject mainstream culture and listen to the most obscure and inaccessible music possible.

Some of their readers/fans here on Sup Forums were upset that the magazine praised Solange, Rihanna, and Lil Yachty in their end of the year issue because they were "too mainstream". I mean how pathetic is that? How elitist can you get?

>They were great

Could you project your insecurities any harder? And the only criticism of you gave is of its readers on Sup Forums, not the magazine itself or its readership at large.

No he isn't. So tired of this shit.
I don't dickride him but he's a great lyricist

window pain

lmao he has said some goofy shit but his techniques took rapping far beyond where it was before him
Not saying he's the goat. Like I personally don't enjoy most of his music but he deserves respect

>his techniques took rapping far beyond where it was before him
bull fuckin shit

reminder that he's a massive cage ripoff
and even icp as well

Show me some people who rhymed like him before him mang
I don't care, that's his style. Cage and fucking ICP can't rhyme like he can.
I didn't say he deserves respect for his style, his style is fucking awful. That's why his fans are ICP-tier.
I'm literally just talking about the way he puts bars together and his flow

first explain what you mean by like him

>cage can't rhyme like he can
>mfw

I think MCR fell off a tiny bit with The Black Parade and majorly w/ Danger Days, can't vouch for any Panic album since Pretty Odd. Can't be as bad as Twenty One Pilots though

boy
I suppose just really thick multisyllabic in-line rhyme with a ton of precision in enunciation
Now that I'm thinking of this there are earlier guys but none with the mass appeal that Eminem had.
People often say that's just because he's white but that isn't the only reason

What I thought was funny was how angry people were getting at anybody who dared criticize their list. All the anti-whites came out of the woodwork to say "ur just friggin racist insecure hipster". Because the only reason anybody could possibly dislike some run of the mill pop music is that it's popular.

go to metacritic retard.

Yep.

metacritic is retarded you retard

>it doesn't count because i say so

lmao

>aggregation site is retarded
>"lol all critics are retarded"

You have to be at least 18 to post here.

You have to be at least 18 to post here.

letmegooglethat.com/?q=how does metacritic weight reviews
I'll do something that's worth my time and you can learn how metacritic works

This is literally the problem with neo-Sup Forums. How old are you people? Like 5-6 years ago I would never see a shitty pop punk thread or some shitty pop emo songs, but now they're all over the place. I even see people rating absolute shite like Say Anything.. and MCR """""10/10""""".

All the artists OP listed are unlistenable. Also it's probably not white guilt because those derivative pop punk bands you listen are worse than the derivative rappers.

>All the artists OP listed are unlistenable. Also it's probably not white guilt because those derivative pop punk bands you listen are worse than the derivative rappers.

HAHAHAHAHAH it's sad that you actually believe this.

>letmegooglethat

i'm not clicking that reddit shit.

go back to where you came from.

>le wrong generation of Sup Forums xDD

kill yourself

>I would never see a shitty pop punk thread

oh yes you would, newfag.

you're part of the problem

Say Anything is shit but MCR is objectively 10/10.

The Black Parade is the Nevermind of the 2000s.

jesus fuck the grammys really do suck

People/companies probably pay for reviews. I would either ignore pitchfork and take everything you read there with a grain of salt.

No, rock is just dead.

Name one good 2016 rock record from someone under 40. I'll wait.

oh yeah no doubt rock is dead, but i dont think you can call any of the other categories good

this

youtu.be/KpxtfI8Bn8w

here.

>good

Try again.