Hey guys, I write for The Wire. AMA

Hey guys, I write for The Wire. AMA.

tricky should've died in a bus crash after his first record tbqh

Why did Tricky ruin his career by splitting with Martina?

what's your AOTY?

Do you write for The Wire?

new Tim Hecker LP man. that shit rocks.
yes!

Why is the magazine leaning towards mainstream pop, RnB, and hip-hop to a greater degree than in previous years particularly in the year end list? Is this indicative of a shift in focus in issues to come?

marcel is our only hope. we need to abandon these shitty magazines because they've all become braindead because of 21st century poptimism.

also tim hecker sucks

why are you such a massive faggot?

Fuck off you tosser

Arent you like 59?

What was the deal with the AOTY list? Blackstar at number 1? Barely any EAI or other releases to distinguish it from the likes of The Quietus. Staff members calling Rihanna their AOTY. Praising Lil Yachty, D.R.A.M., and Rae Sremmurd.

Come on now....

>59

erm, no

how am i a massive faggot? you barely know me.
yeah i know. i disagree with a lot of the choices. the thing is, and this is how a lot of magazines/sites operate, is that the actual albums that end up high on the list are the ones the staff thinks will cater the most to its audience. plenty of my picks didn't make the cut, probably only 2 or 3, the pop shit is just thrown in there because the small contributors, who picked shit like rihanna, get the bigger voice when it comes to deciding something like this. it just all comes down to marketing and seeing how it will change the way our audience thinks about us. pretty simple business strategy if you think about it.

A constantly declining number of readers and subscribers will make desperate magazine editors do desperate things.

Somebody over there needs to get the message. People don't pay good money for subscribitions to read about some musically and lyrically mediocre Top 40 pop artist ffs.

there's nothing really i can do. it's all a business decision. they want to make money, obviously. and so many publications are like this now. i'm just a writer who contributes to the mag every year.

poptimism is taking over rapidly. i haven't really paid much attention to the music writing scene ever since i deleted my twitter a few years ago. hope this all makes sense, just trying to give some perspective because there's no such thing as a wholesome music publication that's not driven by money in some way at this point, unless you're a dude with a wordpress account who runs his own music blog for no pay and doesn't run any ads. it's just that simple. there are very few things human about it (not saying you shouldn't read, because you'll occasionally get good recommendations), it's just marketing.

>poptimism is taking over rapidly.

This is true for 2010s music coverage in general, The Wire isn't the only publication going this way.
It's hilarious seeing all these sites who used to try and sell the line that they were all about "genuine" music writing start imitating Pitchfork in hopes that it's gonna make them more popular and more profitable.

Writing that puts more effort into channeling maximum collegiate pseudo-intellectualism and snark than it does into saying anything of worth, poptimism, contrived forcing of Twitter liberalism into everything("2016 IS THE WORST YEAR EVER OH MY GOOOOD") no matter how unrelated to politics, op-eds which have nothing whatsoever to do with music and just act as channels through which the writers/sites can show how progressive and radical they are in hopes of attracting new millenial readers and so on.

The "there are very few things human about it" factor is why I'm giving less and less attention to music publications and more attention to just talking about music with other people.

Lol that issue is literally the only one I've ever purchased and it was for the Sick Llama piece

How can I do that, too?

Too true

that's very true, and something i definitely feel very strongly about. you made a lot of good points.

Do you think that the attracting readers via progressive and radical ideas is something Rolling Stone was criticized for in the late 60's and early 70's back when Hunter Thompson and others wrote political pieces for them, or is it more of the fact that the music writers themselves are trying hard to put their collective opinions into the music reviews as opposed to keeping it separate like RS used to do.

nice blog

How does it feel to write for an absolute shitrag of a music publication considered a pathetic joke in the patrician scene?

how good does aurora suck dick

Opinions on Wire (the band)?

I
BEG
MAN

Dan xD