/prod/

Flum making wub wubs edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn how to make leads and why your DAW of choice is crap.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a turd burglar for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/jpjoyr4x
clyp.it/dgo2ukfx
clyp.it/nsxt2e3y
clyp.it/2lh4aywq
clyp.it/1qgnso4y
youtube.com/watch?v=3RQ5x_v1emg
discord.gg/sCbXZHF
clyp.it/mvhhvjib
clyp.it/gqdedyku
clyp.it/t0vuro5y
clyp.it/tn2ghcct
clyp.it/gdkmic1h
clyp.it/20vcoauv
youtube.com/watch?v=36QvJV4_vh8
clyp.it/4ar1cibk
clyp.it/5dxry4f0
clyp.it/buglafra
clyp.it/1jfb2lvm
clyp.it/flr4aa4p
clyp.it/kiuozdxw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>can't upload to clyp from my phone
what the FUCK

clyp.it/jpjoyr4x

>clyp.it/jpjoyr4x
sidechain is way to aggressive, sounds like you've cut certain frequencies out of the mix at random. Good concept though

Longshot, but does any one know what pic related is?

thanks for the feedback, i havent gotten to mastering this yet, i spent way too long on composition and made a mess in the project file. will soften it up and find better headphones

clyp.it/dgo2ukfx
Trap beat im working on
Thoughts?

I dunno if any of you remember, but about a week ago I posted a trap song I was making as a joke and a lot of people seemed to like it. So I finally got my friends together to record their verses and finished it.

>clyp.it/nsxt2e3y

>please keep in mind that it's a joke

Shit, I forgot to mention. If is anyone is good at mixing vocals and wants to help me out, let me know. Also, any feedback whatsoever is greatly appreciated.

some sort of device

given the context this isn't bad, but that second verse sucked ass honestly

are you sure?

yes

Yeah, I know. His voice and lyrics are ridiculous, I agree. I know that's kinda the point but I low key might find someone else and switch him out.

looks like a portable 4track recorder.

clyp.it/2lh4aywq

is u Actress my nig.

no but i know how to make actress style synths in Synth1 so basically yeah i am actress

So my latest musical abomination of a project is grindcore/powerviolence/whateverthefuckitis with a synth in place of guitars. I just can't seem to get a "good" synth tone. It just sound thin and weak. I'm using a korg volca keys. Was thinking maybe heavy distortion?

>pls help get that thicc tone

Question: why doesn't exist any choir phrase/syllable builder VSTi for free? I know there's Alter/Ego, but I'm genuinely interested why is it so hard to make one? Does anyone have more technical knowledge of this? What could be done do build one, even if it's far shittier quality that the pro ones?

I don't think so. Here:
youtube.com/#/watch?v=AioC_OfklQQ

He's using it to 'stutter' his loop, this is really what I'm looking for.

How compatible are MIDI keyboards (or digital keyboards) with music production programs? If I buy a keyboard that is marketed as 'Ableton keyboard', will it work with other programs too?

So here's my problem: i would like to get into synths but i have a more pianist formation and i hate every non-weighted key. Also i can't stand the 20ms of latency that i get connecting my digital piano with a midi-interface to my pc. Is there some device that i can connect to my digital piano that would let me play it as a synth?

I have read about modular synths but i haven't really understood how they work, especially how they interface with controllers, plus they seem very complicated. I would like something that would work almost how of the box, something that i can approach with the turn-this-knob-see-what-it-does method.
I would use it mainly for live performances.

In my (limited) experience i have never had any compatibility issue with my midi controllers using fl/ableton/other minor sofrwares

Distortion/waveshaper and put an eq in front of that so you can choose which frequencies to distort the most. But remember garbage in -> garbage out, you should def try to get a very full tone out of your synth in the first place with a sub osc/octave doubling etc.

>Is there some device that i can connect to my digital piano that would let me play it as a synth?
Yea it's called a synthesizer lol. Piano > midi cable > polyphonic synth, will probably not give you much latency.

Also don't get modular synths if u want to use it as a piano, since they are almost always monophonic.
May I suggest a Waldorf Blofeld, it's got plenty of nice keys/synth presets and you can adjust simple parameters like filters and oscillator shape without much hassle. To go deeper into the synthesis there is some menu diving though.
A Nord Rack might also be suitable for you but I've never had one personally.

Should I keep going and arrange this shit or nah?
clyp.it/1qgnso4y

I have a grand to spend on a synth

I can't decide what to get

I have a MS20 (too limited, not that great sounding until its through some effects, I'm not creative enough to get into exploiting wacky sounds) and Blofeld (extremely boring patches, sounds amazing with building your own patches, but that requires tedious menu diving and annoying programming) that I want to ditch

What should I look at?

Why do people hate on minilogues?
Should I start getting into modular?

I'm looking at:

Elektron A4, Modor, 0-coast, minilogue, monologue, mophox4

really love elektron gear, dunno how the A4 sounds

I have an MS20 mini
I spend hours trying different patches from 20patch.constructing towers and every single fucking thing sounds like

youtube.com/watch?v=3RQ5x_v1emg

I swear the patch field isn't even connected to anything on mine

What's a good daw to put on my old xp laptop? I use FL mainly but willing to try something else. Mostly I want to use it for sequencing/recording outboard gear so I don't care too much about instruments/fx, but the recording capabilities should be good (atm I use FL with Edison for recording).

Basically you're saying that any synth would work? Sorry if i sound stupid but i have never seen such setup that's why i have so many doubts. Would one of those very small synth with little keys or even without keys work? I've seen your suggestions but since i have alredy to carry around my full 88 digital piano i would like something smaller

you're new to /prod/ aren't you?

if Studio One works you should get that.

As long as it has a midi input, yeah it will work. Of course working through the computer is more convenient if you actually want to record midi, quantize it, and then record the sound from the midi data, that's why most producers will probably do it that way.

Pretty much, sorry if I'm a shitcunt.
I just don't know how my shit sounds to others, so I dropped it here.

no man, that's not what I asked, keep coming here and asking for feedback, I just heard that you're new from the track. You need to put in a lot of work but it's not bad, just not good to put out yet. I started learning by trying to remake my favorite tracks.

I don't get the ms20 either, tried to play on my m8s one a few times. He can do some pretty cool shit with it though.

Alright, thank you for the help

join the /prod/ discord

discord.gg/sCbXZHF

Sorry that was meant for

I get that, a 30 minute 8 bar loop is bound to be shit, but I'm just wondering if the idea's worth putting effort into. I have a bunch of 8/16 bar loops that I never bothered putting time into arranging, mixing, automating etc. Fear of wasting time I guess.

Of course, just listen to some tracks and pay attention to the basic arranging tricks like buildups, taking away drums, putting drums back in again, mellow part, hard part..

clyp.it/mvhhvjib

anyone wanna collab on a techno about a demon moose?

MIDI is universal. With only a few exceptions, a midi controller will work with all DAWs worth tripping on.

I feel like you don't have the skills yet to make it into something good and you might wanna hold off until you get better and therefore get better inspiration.

clyp.it/gqdedyku

>clyp.it/gqdedyku
You also got into /prod/ recently didn't you?

Well like some wise user in /prod/ once said, if you never finish your shitty tracks you will never learn how to finish a good track once you get to that point.

nah I don't really believe in that, get them up to a point but don't stress out over completing them unless they're worth it.

you'll never get any arranging skills that way

yeah that's true sorta, good music has a lot to do with details but you don't always have to finish the song, sometimes its all about finishing a section I guess, it depends but yeah I see your point.

I was thinking recording each note in the chords in mono mode and mixing it together. I want to mic an amp to record it, I guess I could buy a distortion pedal. I'm full poorfag currently.

clyp.it/t0vuro5y

merry christmas /prod/

That's very wise imho. I have done some pretty embarassing tracks before i was able to do something decent. I guess it's kinda like with girls, a friend of mine started with a ugly whale (maybe 100kg) and now he smashes all the hotties, unlike me, i never started because of "not cute enough" and now i'm left with nothing. At least i didn't do the same with music

no, not really, i play around on fl when i have time, i have a ton of demos that i don't know what to do with.

here is an update : clyp.it/tn2ghcct

so I had this thing I did from last month, I really like the second diddly thing but I don't know where to go with it
clyp.it/gdkmic1h

what song is this?
clyp.it/20vcoauv

second one would go along nice with transitioning into drums in the backround and a solo electric guitar after about 20 seconds.

youtube.com/watch?v=36QvJV4_vh8

I can't into anything except make something and loop it for a few bars
like so
clyp.it/4ar1cibk

i used to be able to drag samples into abelton's drum rack or Places but now i can't do either those, what do? i tried adding .wav to my snare sample but it still couldn't be dropped

try to find the directory of the snares and add them there, not from the DAW.

you mean drop them into the sampler from explorer? i tried that too but it wouldn't respond.

Sorry, can't help you more, i am on FL.

well there's always kontakt ;^(

works fine for me ;)

=(

all of these samples and i can't use any of them..

I got the Mopho x4 and I love it. It replaced my minimoog as my gigging synth.

have you tried using other file formats like mp3?

Just use vsts then, you can get for example MDA Combo as a free amp/cabinet modeler.

afaik abelton doesn't support mp3.

disabledton lel

session mode is still too good for me to give up nonetheless. it's more valuable than mp3.

I want to post here but I'm terrified of people stealing my music. Is this a rare occurrence?

you cant export as mp3 but you can import and live will convert it to a wav file

post a part of it..

i converted a snare to mp3 and it still wouldn't let me drop it into the sampler.

are you running ableton as administrator ? it wont let you drag and drop from windows explorer if you are

clyp.it/5dxry4f0
was on acid

I'm not really sure what I want out of EDM, should I just take a break? I don't know the technical aspects enough, like I don't really care to learn about them at the moment, yet I've been 'in the game' for like 3 years. Stuff like saturation, limiting, compression, etc. Took like 2 audio engineering classes.

/prod/

I'm looking to get into making game/scene background music, and need suggestions on a DAW to use for mainly digital music creation.

Bonus if it has maschine jam compatibility.

Hey guys, I need a minimal music production setup that I can get the most out of. I don't want to use a DAW/computer cause sample digging sucks. What do you all suggests?

there's literally no reason to use anything other than FL.

clyp.it/buglafra

want to improve this mix but don't really know where to start

Ask someone to sing

clyp.it/1jfb2lvm

>Should I keep working on this idea?

clyp.it/flr4aa4p

>pitch bend from one specific note to another specific note in Abelton Live MIDI
how do I do this?

is there no parameter to set the pitch bend range in whatever vst you're using?

there is, and Abelton Live already has one built-in to it, but they don't explicitly allow a bend from one specific note to another

wouldn't it just be a matter of setting the bend range to whatever the distance between the 2 notes is?

you literally asked this a /prod/ ago and people gave you legitimate responses

There isn't any indication of what scale it uses though, and it's not reacting while I have attempted to use it, so I really have no idea how Live is bending the pitch in the envelopes in the MIDI editor

try to automate the pitchbend in the midi clip envelope editor but ableton also has it labeled weirdly from -8191 to 0 to 8191 instead of frequencies

Yeah, this. I want to bend from an E up to an F but I don't know how to do it.

Good shit but needs voices

clyp.it/kiuozdxw

E to F is one step. so set you pitch bend to +1/-1st, when you press E moving the pitch wheel all the way up will get you to F.

well in midi pitch bend is specified with 2 full bytes so 128*128 steps which is 16384