Is americans being bad at geography just a meme?

Is americans being bad at geography just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hW9Va9082o8
youtube.com/watch?v=_mWtWz_aGyk
youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

I mean,they might not know about Europe,but they know about US

It's very real, I can assure you.

A few games of EU4 will solve all of that.

I'm great at geometry, ask me anything.

Wtf, I had tests in 8th grade where I had to know every country and its capital, are there no geography class in the US ?

that takes it even further, a year of that and you can name almost every province in Europe, let alone countries

Capital of Sri Lanka (not Colombo)

Nope its real. I remember in an Sup Forums thread a few months ago when a burger asked if Ankara was in Egypt. But look up any other statistics and studies online, showing the extent of:

>American Education

We unironically learn states and their capitals instead. Feel free to bully us/meme us, we deserve it.

Some really long fucking name I can't even spell out without looking it up online.

They don't even teach us about the countries in our own continent (same with Canada). I asked a (Canadian) guy if he'd like to visit Grenada once and he said he didn't know what that was. On the other hand, I've only met one other person (who wasn't actually from the caribs) who knew about St. Lucia, St. Kitts & Nevis(?), St. the other ones and occasionally one or two people who knew what Belize was because they speak English.
I know all the euro countries btw.

Can't see any reason why they should bother learning names of some, mostly irrelevant, countries miles away from their continent to be quite honest.

>americans consistently labeled sweden as funland
truly our greatest ally

Laos; that sounds Asian.

Because it's dangerous for a democracy with so much influence on the rest of the world to have voters that can't differentiate the Czech Republic and Chechnya

we don't we that, I learnt those myself
we unironically are the americans of europe

We unironically learned the states, capitals and rivers of the United States. The rest of the world, it's capitals and rivers is also taught.
>african countries are my weakspot

No, most Americans are genuinely stupid and often forget there's a whole world outside of North America.

I couldn't grasp the african countries either, their irrelevance is something that was the reason I believe.

You did? Isn't that kind of a massive waste of time? There are like 15 states in America that are relevant by themselves, the rest are pretty much arbitrary lines drawn in the ground.

>15
More like 5, unless you actually care about which foodstuff comes from which state.

If you want to trade with the world, you have to know the world.

>continuously trying to be the Jews of Europe
Why do the Dutch do this?

>Ukraine
>land
Not entirely wrong, in more than one way

The original 13 colonies all have unique history and culture. Plus California and Texas and give and take a few maybes like Florida or Michigan and you have somewhere betweeb 15 and 20 that are really necessary to know if you're a foreigner.

It's a cultural thing. Also, coffee cost money and papa needs his fix.

>the rest are pretty much arbitrary lines drawn in the ground.
All of your states are squares and it triggers me to no end.

it's called being civilised and general education including geography is a part of it.

Africa also has unique history and culture but that doesn't make them relevant.
Relevant states are: NY, CA, TX, FL (kinda), VA, and MI (between us and Canada).
Maybe ID (potato), HI (history + fruit), KS (sunflowers), WI&VT (cheese), GA (Coke), and AK (fish).

>Glad to see college paid off
This triggers me so much.
Retarded Amerilards will refuse to learn anything and then blame the education system rathee than their shit work ethic.

Okay nobody was saying otherwise, it's just a lot of American states are literally just squares we drew out on a map to divide up the massive unpopulated territory we had bought or conquered from other countries. They're about as relevant as postal codes. I already said that some should be taught.

When I'm abroad I make sure to tell Americans that if global warming keeps its pace, my igloo home in North Vancouver will melt.

We had to label world maps and capitals, then do rivers, states, their capitals, etc. Idk if my school was the exception or the rule though.

kek

Well we just have different approaches to geography. I just think the places that developed organically are more important to learn than Amerisquares just because some of them may have a particular industry. If you were a foreigner you could go your entire life just thinking of those areas generically as "America" and it wouldn't effect your knowledge of this country. Meanwhile learning all the states I just mentioned would allow you to understand our politics and history as a whole much better.

*than Amerisquares that may have a particular industry

It was in the required teachings from the ministry. But you are an honorary Dutchman now in my book.

Meant for

Definitely the exception. What state are you from, that's actually exceptionally good for >American education

>Food isn't important

So boycott it?

I think it's easier to look at regions. Knowing that the great plains produce food is easier than knowing their names, knowing about Dixie Southern culture vs California vs Pacific Northwest, etc is easier than knowing all of those individually.

>amerisquares

I'm part of that group of people who actually care where their food comes from because I work on a chicken farm.
p-please don't boycott food, that's unhealthy...

Oregon

Dank je :3

That's a good compromise desu

Right, so calling food "irrelevant" is quite dumb. That's like saying "well all Russia has is oil, why would Hitler even want to invade them?"

Resources are relevant, especially food and energy. The easiest way to determine whether something is relevant is to remove it and see what collapses.

Hint: it's not Californian films.

I never called food "irrelevant", I just know that most people don't care about that stuff.

>I just know that most people don't care about that stuff.

People don't care about eating? On what planet?

>be young boy in school
>ask other boy what his father does
>"he sells bullsperm to america"
Didn't ask for details about which states they sold. Didn't ask him anything.

>Geometrics
What's the distance between our capitols if it were a straight line?

it was me all along

desu I agree with most of the Americans ITT that think our geography education is shit

But, at the same time I think it's your country's responsibility to make itself a part of foreigners lives with an industry, product, or cultural output such as music or films and give them a reason to know you, not their respinsibility to know where you are and who you are on the globe just because you exist.

Who would Americans want to know irrelevant Yuropoor """"countries""""

>sucking the burger cuck
>miles
>flag
why am I not surprised?

>Americans don't know Guam that's an important geopolitical place

Alabamians have the worst humor.

To know if a flag is rare.
youtube.com/watch?v=hW9Va9082o8

>Literally no idea, sorry.
D'aww, americans are such kind and good-hearted people.

tell me a theorem on isoceles triangles

That's a pretty level-headed way of looking at it. It's a two way street, you need to fix your fucking schools and Europeans need to start giving people a reason to know about them instead of just demanding they do.

A good example is Finland. There is literally not a single reason for anybody to care about them irl but even the most geographically retarded people on Sup Forums know where they are, who they are, their capital, and have a decent overview of their history. All because their internet culture is so entertaining.

youtube.com/watch?v=_mWtWz_aGyk

(G)old

It's very bad among chads and stacies

Only nerds or travellers know geography well.

Knowledge of geography also depends on relevance, immediate neighbors aside. Britain and France would be the best known countries, whilst the balkans, africa and stans among the least known

The extent of my school knowledge about geography was like 1 start of the lesson work sheet we did once. I learnt everything about geography and culture through personal interest/ pop culture

Shut up Romania

>tfw war games as a kid are the only reason I know geography as well as I do

You tell me.

We have the world's largest hydraulic container crane.

u mad?

why do they do this, too lazy to use wikipedia?

There is a Tripoli in Lebanon too

No.

t. Lived there

Although we're not that much better here. Same with the rest of the world

no

>tfw don't know how to measure a distance on a sphere

>tfw learns all the islands of SE Asia thanks to EU4 and all the provinces of china thanks to HoI4

how the fuck do you get nigeria wrong
angola and mauritania are easy aswell
odd how you only got 1 central asian country wrong; you might confuse kyrgyzstan and tajikistan, but if you know anything about who the tajiks are or what they speak, it's obvious - they speak (a) Persian (language), so they are the ones next to afghanistan.
the rest of the central asian countries are turkic peoples

tbf my knowledge of us states would be similar to this

Never cared to learn African geography. Their nations aren't relevant and there's just too many of them.

South Africa and Egypt are the only two countries I can name in Africa without guessing.

Don't feed the bait

Oh and Madagascar.

cough cough

PISA 2015

most americans cant even place all the states on a map. the average american cant even name more than a dozen state capitals either

and as far as americans are concerned, everything south of them is mexico, everything east of germany is russia, and south east asia is just china

they do have a pretty good understanding of the middle east i admit

finland is relevant the same way the rest of scandinavia is

Staggering autism

Bravo Eesti

the rest of scandinavia isn't relevant though, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make

>all of europe and asia becomes a subtle czech republic

Hmm...

>their irrelevance is something that was the reason I believe.

This is how Americans feel about the rest of the world, except maybe England

I added a few more countries that I remembered exist. Am I missing any others?

>they do have a pretty good understanding of the middle east i admit

Know your enemy

i only know their capital because that black girl won the award

i only know norway's capital because shootings

don't know denmarks capital- wait is it copenhagan?

definitely couldnt say the capitals of the baltic countries or any slavic nattion except krawkaw poland

in the way it is seen as a progressive utopia.
finland has some of the best education and social policies around

>Phil
quit trolling, nigga

you bad at it

Not enough space to write 'the phillipines'

the USA is basically the greatest nation on this whole planet
why would they bother to learn all the irrelevant other """"""""nations""""""""

If NC is not relevant why is it constantly on the news

youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk