Okay Sup Forums

Okay Sup Forums

my friend who's an engineer doesn't think this will work. I think he's just jealous because a blue collar is smarter than him.

Prove to me this concept will not work and I will put one object of your desire up my ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8GLtFNaiMH8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

your swastika is backgrounds retard

Won't work. Rock bag 2 won't have enough weight even when out of the water to pull rock bag 1 out of the water especially with the drag from the water. Also if they did eventually both get out of the water they would just level out not move up and down

it appears backwards because of the light refraction of the water, dumbass

Rocks are denser that water
It will just sink

Actually when the rock comes up from the air in the ziplock being buoyant, it will just stay on the waters surface

holy fuck i lold so hard.

how are you moving the rocks? slaves? if not slaves then you will lose more than the energy created, due to having to fight gravity to reset it vs the drag of water lowering energy gained

Gravitons will enable perpetual motion, too bad I just copyrighted this with all my extra money. Thanks for the free cash OP

If the bags of rocks weigh the same the machine will balance and stall.

this.

equilibrium OP riot plz nerf

>drag of the water
if they were rods this problem would be greatly dampened.

> Rock bag 2 won't have enough weight even when out of the water to pull rock bag 1 out of the water
the rocks are weightless in the water. Go fill a pepsi bottle with water and put a cap on it, then put it in a pool. It drifts like it's in outer space. It's weightless.

I figure we would hardly have to reset them if we place it in a windy area. The wind will keep pushing the rocks harder and they will just gain more speed every once in a while.

see above

There are better ways to capture wave energy from the ocean. Thats basically what you've built. Only shittier.

you know what...
its time to call myth busters

What if we made it taller?

Perpetual motion machine. Energy used to lift rock initially will be equal to energy taken out of the system. Neat idea though.

Why not just throw a ton of salt in the water to push the rock back out?

Rephrase- energy used to lift rock is equal to energy released from system, in the form of what you siphon off, friction with the water, friction in the pulley, etc.

The max total energy you could extract could be expressed as 'the limit of energy produced, as friction approaches zero, is the total energy input'
Simply, you'll only get 99.99% of the input energy back, assuming a closed system. If the wind adds some into the system, you might break even, but not by much (unless you configured it to take advantage specifically of wind, but that's a completely different device).

There's already something like this out there, effectively a floating ball tethered to a generator on the ocean floor. As waves pass, the ball moves up and down, translated into torque by the tether, which spins a generator.

no because the other one will thenfell, pulling both to an equal distance
then it wont touch the water lol

its not weightless, its buoyant. if you pick up a box, the box isnt weightless you pleb

here the water literally pushes the box up.

>windy area
so if its windy, AND doesnt change direction much, it will work with minimal effort lol?
how much effort needed, etc. you dont have any sort of thought into the actual engineering details in order to make it possible

Is this possible with perfect materials? Probably. but this aint fantasy,
THIS

IS

FRICTION!

why not get a bunch of guys to climb up and sit on the rock. it'll come down and then they can all just swim away. It could be like a monthly festival or something, to kickstart the electricity maker.

Fucking idiots think capturing existing energy is the same as perpetual motion.

because then you have to pay them, and its just not financially viable

if you wanna do something stupid and easy, come up with better ways to enslave people

You'll keep losing energy from every cycle until both rocks stop moving

>because then you have to pay them
are you retarded? People literally break into secured buildings and towers to climb to the top and jump off (base jumping) or do parkour or shit. People climb to the top of statues and fall off and die at festivals. I'm sure we can convince a handful of people to climb this tower and sit on a rock as it plummets to the ocean once a month. Get them drunk enough and it won't even be hard.

Wait...what's keeping both rock sacks from just floating?

rocks don't float retard

The length of rope

Rock in sacks can

so your saying that because they like to do awesome stuff, they will also want to sit on a rock.

ok.

Makes sense man, good luck building the foundation
quite a lot of rocks float you fucking faggot. lrn2geology faggot

(also he said they are in a bag of air causing it to float. faggot.)

They do when the OP says they're in a bag that makes them bouyant, dipshit.

Archimedes principal...

Whatever, stupid "perp motion machine" won't work bc Sup Forums follows thermodynamics.

So if the rope is too long they hit the water and float, if its too short they never touch the water...am I missing something?

Then the up and down motion described wouldn't even happen sense now the rocks are out of the water. It would just be to heavy on one side and it would just keep on that side

I am the friend in question. I specifically told him that in this household, we OBEY THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS.

Also, this started because we had just watched the new Primitive Technology video and wondered why he didn't create a contraption to pump the forge billows.

I suggested a foot crank. He suggested perpetual motion.

Someone smarter than me can give a much more detailed explanation of the laws at work here, but lemme get a crack at the basics...

First, the reason that harnessing electrical energy from a perpetual motion device hasn't already been done and powering the world as we know it now has a lot to do with how nature works, can't get something out of nothing, blah blah blah. Friction alone would kill any kind of successful attempts. Even if you created a ring of magnets and surrounded it with a wire coil with the intention of trying to harness any electrical energy created by magnetic induction, and put it in deep space between galaxies where there is no hope of outside gravitational force, the laws of electrical induction and magnetism alone would eventually fight, slow, and stop the spinning magnets. Even if you could somehow, miraculously, overcome the friction created by that magnetic force, the costs of such a device(never mind getting it into a true zero-G environment) would completely negate any kind of gains one may get from it.

Then you have to be concerned with the actual definition of 'perpetual motion'; never ending, not requiring any extra external energy input.

As far as your design is concerned, once you drop the first rock, it would drop into the ocean, gaining speed, yanking the rope with it, gaining the weight of said rope, then the second rock would fly up and over the wheel, following the first to a watery grave. If you used rods the machine would just lock up due to mechanical friction. If neither happened, and let's say you had a spring to stop the wheel and drive the first rock up, you would have to be concerned with the spring finding equilibrium and stopping the wheel.

Finally, in order to equal out the weight of the rock with air, you would need such a large pocket of air that the container holding the air would add even more weight to the whole thing, meaning you need an even bigger pocket of air, blah blah blah...

create this machine and report back to us with the basics

fucking millenial scientists

Yep that's pretty much it. Nonconservative forces pretty much "slow down" the system and eventually, equilibrium will be reached where buoyancy + weight of other rock = weight of 1st rock.

HEAT DEATH SO METAL

Yee boi

sharpie in pooper now nigger

Live stream suicide fgt

Perpetual motion machines, I wonder how many hours scientifically illiterate retards have wasted cumulatively thinking about this shit.

Come back when you have enough lube to create a 100% conservative system. I suggest dm-ing your mother.

GENIUS
E
N
I
U
S

Way better now

I was hoping that OP would try to debunk or argue my point. Maybe he's trying to scoop his brains back into his ears...

So, I'm watching a TV show about the 90's on the History channel ATM, they're talking about OJ riding down the highway with a gun to his head. Aaaahhh, memories...

WIN

I was arguing for your position but sure, why not

-not OP

>once you drop the first rock, it would drop into the ocean, gaining speed, yanking the rope with it, gaining the weight of said rope, then the second rock would fly up and over the wheel

no because once the rock is in the water, the other rock will be slowing down and reversing motion. It will never reach the top of the wheel. Just like this video. youtube.com/watch?v=8GLtFNaiMH8

>If you used rods the machine would just lock up due to mechanical friction
the rods are there to replace the rocks so that there's less water resistance as they are being dragged through the water

>Finally, in order to equal out the weight of the rock with air, you would need such a large pocket of air that the container holding the air would add even more weight to the whole thing, meaning you need an even bigger pocket of air, blah blah blah...

compressed air is more buoyant. You don't have to make the rocks bouyant either, just close enough to the density of water, without going over. Making the rocks less dense than water will result in a failure of the contraption.

why would the water level be lower around the bird? otherwise a brilliant concept

I believe in you OP. Do it and prove that your friend is a faggot

You would be better off putting the... Uh... Bubblelevator inside of a tube containing two fluids with different surface tensions and weights, like brine and pure water, separated from one another by glass or plastic, and then starting the spinning and seeing what would happen. Might work. Dunno.

Does anybody know whether salty brine has any higher viscosity than pure, literal pure, water?

that's just the light refraction, retard.

No, I was talking to you specifically, like, we're all in this room right now... Here, lemme green text.

> Be me
> Go see this crazy assed contraption at an expo with other highly intellectual internet scientists
> Blow OP's brains with insane logic
> Start talking with random user next to me

> Conservation of energy YouTube video
Uhm, no, that's not how it works...

> Rods to cut down drag
Still no, because your buoyancy device would cause drag unless it was as thin as said rods, then the whole thing would have to be insanely tall to be able to work.

> Compressed air is more bouyant
Tell that to scuba divers... Also, no.

This is why we need IDs again

Agreed

I'm going to start posting nudes because I don't want this thread to die, must see where OP takes his logic...

because retards can't logically connect posts together? sure

2/?

MMMMODDDDDDDSSSSS

it cant be, because of the non reflective property of bird poles affecting the water and your mama respectively

3/?

uhh sauce on that plz

4/?

Just dropping copypasta stuff I've saved, dunno where it originated from. There's some stuff that some dude posted and tried to rip down a while back. I'm sure you'll recognize some of it.

Also, 5/?

Why not just take some buoyant object the floats on the top of the water and attach it to arod and have the up down motion of the tides/waves cause the rod to move up and down. You can get crazy sums of power if you have a buoyant enough object. Ping pong balls in a huge container could work. You could have potentially hundreds of pounds of up force. Let gravity and hydro physics do all the work.

any chance of an archive of her?

6/?

Just some randomly saved pictures in a download folder, Holmes. I'm picky like that, saving only what interests me as I find it...

7/?

If the bag is buoyant, it either will not sink because the air needed to float the rock will not produce enough velocity to make a meaningful motion.

You will pull the rock under, the other rock will fall lazily to the surface. If the bags are heavily buoyant, rock 2 will not sink. If not, rock 2 will fall slowly to the surface because it takes a long time for rock 1 to leave the surface.

Nah, the weight of the rod would balance out the up and down motion created by the waves. Besides, how would you harness any energy from a simple weight tied to a bobbing cork?

Uhm, 8/?

>says rocks are "weightless" in water
>says rock gets heavier in water
really

Because science

9/?

i would love to see this tested.

OP here

I'm actually a welder so I will build small prototype this month

i'll check back in with a new thread once it's built. Catch you fags on the flip side.

Because OP science

10/?

They would just slowly balance out, so having to reset/set all the time. It's sad that we haven't basically completely adopted an electrical energy source, i.e. coal is the main problem, all that old "great leap forward" coal plants to they use in China. In 100 years we will run solely on wind, water, solar, and nuclear energy for back up. Just the idea of burning out basically irreplaceable fossil fuels(take thousands if not millions of years to produce unless some how the climate change gesture it) I consider myself the true conservative as in conservationist, there are only a finite amount of shit we can sucked out of the ground

Make it, post to DIY, let's see this horrendous thing.

11/?

Well consider having some really buoyant substance at the end. It won't go underwater and it should have enough of a force to stay above the water that it will drive the rod upwards.The rod should be made to be as sturdy and lightweight as possible. the rod is going straight down into the water and is rising and falling with each wave or change of tide. The rod can act similarly to the piston of an engine it just depends on how you set it up. the only real work being done is that of the water moving.There are better was to do it though already in use. Tidal energy.

Wouldn't this not work because assuming that rock one falls, and rock two goes up, rock 2 would need more momentum moving towards the ground in order to lift 1 all the way to the top, and vice versa. There's no source of momentum that will push either side enough to lift the other up all the way.

it'll take me a while

steel isn't cheap so I'll have to wait for scrap to accumulate and we're busy at work so I'll throw it together on my coffee breaks.

Is this guy serious?

The rocks wont move the drag of the water is enough to stop that happening.

If there were was any kind of water currant then you'd probably just break the machine

in the mean time, (still OP here) got any asian girls?

Anymore of this girl?

Are you perhaps so much of a conservative that you conserve the right to not learn proper grammar?

12/?

I could build this with Legos, dude... Just a small simple device is needed to prove the concept.

May be some thrown in here, I don't have a helluva lot on my phone, had to move it to another SD card to save space...

Yeah, there's a few more in here, but they're out of order due to the way they were posted.

And 13/?

14/?

legos won't make a heavy enough fly wheel to store energy.

anyway it's fucking 12 midnight and i lost track of time. gonna jerk off and head to bed. gotta be on a jobsite by 6am tomorrow.

Ack, thread is kill...

15/?