Can someone explain to me why is he a "genius"? I mean...

Can someone explain to me why is he a "genius"? I mean, sure his music is great but it's not mindblowing like everyone makes it look like.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-M8sIzLNVT0
youtube.com/watch?v=wlr8duyToKo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

leeterally hu?

He's good but he isn't as good as the other warp rockstars

understand his influence on others.

Get a good pair of headphones.

Not even memeing, his music seemed extremely unspectacular until I saved up and bought a nice pair of cans, then his music can really come alive.

What cans did you get?

>SAW 85–92 isn't the greatest electro record of all time
What?
Also if you don't like his stuff it's because you don't rate timbre as highly as melody and rhythm, which is ok but rockist as fuck.

bcuz he has like a 100000 songz lol

I find his status as an "innovator" highly questionable. There were artists making breaks and beats before him.

>you must buy expensive audiophile equipment to enjoy the music

kys

I know they are a meme but Audio Technica ATH m50x. honestly great balanced sound, especially for IDM I find.

I'm just talking about my personal experience dude y you so mad

This.
I just don't really enjoy his music all that much. I think maybe that's just because his music is just a bit too wacky/leftfield for me. I do like abstract/experimental techno, idm and ambient music but i prefer either more standard, regular beats and more conventional melodies.

His music has always sounded very workmanlike to me, like it's just another day at the office and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

He was making his own instruments when he was like 9 years old. He made SAW 85-92, a highly regarded and seminal techno record some of which was written when he was 15 years old. He was bold enough to completely change styles from like actual ambient (SAW 2), to drill and bass with classical elements and other strange sounds (Richard D. James album) and complete madness and computer controlled acoustic instruments (Drukqs). All the while he released under a bunch of other aliases doing anything from more experimental stuff to straight up acid. He also made you listen to a face, user. He also has caused a bunch of lame imitations to spring into existence and fuckboi threads like this to pop up every once in a while.

you're both wack on a physical and immutable level and you should be ashamed of yourselves

fuck this thread

How do you """make your own instrument""""?

I feel like people would appreciate pic related more if they knew it was literally made without computers, instead it was completely analog.

wtf I like Syro now?

I think there is something unique about the personality that he puts into his songs. Certain melodies like Flim, Avril 14 and Alberto Basalm are really unforgettable. There's a lot of humor in his music and this genre takes itself seriously. He also comes across as a serious composer too

all that matters it that it sounds great, which it does. Richard appears to use a bunch of different approaches (computers, analogue, robots,etc.) in an effort to discover new sounds. Or even just methodology, like the Cheetah which posed a challenge as being incredibly difficult to program. Dude just always seems to be chasing down something different. I kinda hope he gets off the whole analogue thing at some point though and goes down a completely different route (like a symphony, remote orchestra, or some other kind of uncharted waters).

>symphony, remote orchestra, or some other kind of uncharted waters

holy fuck never thought about this but I want it really fucking bad now

People don't really understand electronic music, so if you parrot this stance you look informed and no one can fact-check you. When everyone figured this out it caused the notion to grow like a virus.

After listening to a shit ton of IDM I feel like RDJ has a special spice, some sort of magic touch that is undeniably his and his only.

85-92 isn't electro u fucking pard

he literally had a device that supposed to be, some low power computer or something that should not make sound, and programmed it to make a sound, i'm not tech savvy so i can't explain in other terms.

His music is unforgettable user, it is perfect to me, it is so light and airy and at the same time it feels full of patterns and wheels, it is also very dreamy (richard is also lucid dreamer).

I
WANT
YOUR
SOUL
I
WILL
EAT
YOUR
SOUL

He's got a great set of tits

>tfw seeing Richie James tomorrow at Day for Night

Thank you Mr Rich

congratulations my dude if possible, though highly unlikely, try to take a QUALITY audio recording of the event. I got a feeling tricky ricky's got a couple new hardbody electro classics he's about to blast you motherfuckers with.

It would be next to impossible to make a quality recording of an event like that from the crowd wouldn't it

the only way I'd see you could get a high quality recording from a live music event would be by recording the stereo mix with an aux and no one uninvolved in the actual PA/FOH mixing is going to have that access

if anyone can do it it's you man. try to make him play free bird too.

>why is he a "genius"? I mean, sure his music is great but it's not mindblowing

Who was producing better like this before him?

What do you mean? Techno? Acid? Breaks? Ambient?

I wanna hear whatever sounded like the Richard D. James album at, or before its time. Link me up.

He's an average producer who happened to get into a relatively "underground" genre so early that it sort of looks like he helped invent it. He's also a compulsive liar who tries way too hard to make himself look like a genius or weirdo who nobody understands. Any stories about him that imply that he's anywhere near genius are basically straight-up lies from his mouth.

This is a good example. I'm too lazy to look it up again but I know exactly what you're talking about. There was a synth that was only supposed to make noise when plugged into an output source, but apparently Richard """found""" a way to make it make noise via tech magik and 133t haxxing skillz. Aphex Twin himself is essentially the only source for this rumor. No one else can verify that he actually did it.

He doesn't do anything innovative or groundbreaking. His music is nice but he's certainly not a genius, even if he thinks he is. He's just a really manipulative liar, and he's good at it. Sometimes he does 'wacky' things like tell Madonna he'll only collaborate with her if she sends him a bunch of noises she made with her vagina. But that's about it. He's an above-average producer otherwise. He's just really good at building a mysterious persona.

Thank you Mr. Rich

THIS.
He's such a liar. "I once went 5 weeks without sleeping!" Fuck off with that bullshit.
I can kind of understand when Grimes said she once went 9 days without sleep to make Visions, it's probably still a lie but at least it's a bit more realistic -- I've reached similar lengths of time without sleeping myself. But AFX doesn't even try to make his lies even a little believable, which makes it look like he thinks people are stupid.

I like how you said "average producer" twice

nice touch ;)

ask the next aphex twin anything

Rich has straight up described himself as a "just some irritating, lying, ginger kid from Cornwall". He's never said he's a genius.

He just has a laugh with his music and doesn't give a fuck. He'll make music using MIDI controlled drumming robots for the hell of it. He'll release hundreds of hours of unreleased music for free just for his fans. He likes to fuck with people's minds because he's a born prankster. Some people like that about him.

Then there are people like you that don't like it and have to bitch and whine about it. Who gives a fuck man, it's just music. He's made more of a contribution to music than you ever well and has more personality.

before people where being considered as "the next aphex twin" what were they calling Richard when he was gaining popularity? "Meet the next _____, Aphex Twin!"

he may be a prankster, and I wouldn't consider him a genius in other areas of life, but as far as music goes he is one of the few musicians out there that I would consider being a musical genius. He may troll and take the piss but the guy has shown to have an unrelenting passion for music, or just sound in general.

>He's made more of a contribution to music than you ever well and has more personality.
Both of those points are irrelevant. Why are you even defending someone you've never even met?
>LOL SUCH A PRANKSTER
Lying is not a prank. It's a prank if it's funny. No one thinks Aphex Twin is funny; not even his fans.

>He's made more of a contribution to music than you ever well and has more personality.
If you're making music just as a contest to see if you can contribute more than someone else while showcasing your personality, you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

>He's made more of a contribution to music than you ever well
you sound like a Black Veil Brides fangirl.

DO YOU MAKE MYUSICK? NO?? THAN SHUD UP!! ! and DON'T COMPLAIN! 。.:*:・'((*^‿^*)

Yeah RDJ is alright BUT HES NO GRIMES BRO!!!!

SAW 85-92 is essentially the king of 90s downtempo style music though where it's like taking more ambient sounding stuff and putting a beat under it. This was huge for artists like Bjork, Massive Attack, Boards Of Canada, Radiohead on Kid A, etc. Downtempo as we know it and think of it is because of SAW 85-92

SAW Vol. II isn't all that ultimately innovative sure, but kinda going back to just that 70s ambient and then bringing it into the 90s upgrading the sound is pretty sick and relatively unique for the 90s.

I Care Because You Do was doing abrasive textures within the context of this ambient/IDM music years before Autechre became masters of it.

Richard D James album is admittedly influenced pretty heavily by Squarepusher, but do you know who Squarepusher was influenced by? Aphex Twin on the Xylem Tube EP that came out years before the first Squarepusher record and of course the RDJ album, too.

Where as Squarepusher takes the crazy breaks his way, Aphex Twin took them to a style that's his own personal one. By taking aspects of his music that have existed since his first AFX release Analogue Bubblebath Vol. I, and combine that acidic feel with his moves on RDJ to get Drukqs. Granted Drukqs has a bunch of other random tracks on it, too, and that's why it's often not rated as highly, but there's still that main idea coursing through it and its still relatively unique compared to the direction guys like Squarepusher/Venetian Snares would do in the same direction.

Syro isn't super ultra innovative, but having it be totally non-computer based considering this guy's been messing with computers mainly since the early 80s is a nice treat, and there's definitely a difference in the sound as a result. It also feels like a more cohesive take on Drukqs' whole "a bunch of different styles in one album" thing. Not to mention that because of the time between the compositions, there's also nothing really today that sounds like it.

*guys like Squarepusher/Venetian Snares would do in the similar style

music is pure and from the heart. it's not about necessarily making anything that's good, innovative or interesting that sounds amazing and earns you fans and success in the process. There's so much more than what Richard does. Richard thinks it's about not taking things so seriously, having fun, and spending countless hours making music through a variety of means and different approaches in an attempt towards self actualization. music isn't just about treading new territory and risking alienating your fan base just because you want to do what you do even if it demands a stylistic departure. sometimes music's about having a band camp page with 1 to 3 purchases and a really deep, justified criticism of artists that have everything mentioned above.

THANK YOU MR. RICH

Wolfgang Voigt is better

THANK YOU MR.RICH

>He doesn't do anything innovative or groundbreaking.
u wot

>i like abstract/experimental when it isn't too experimental

this isn't wrong

REPETITIONS

I love post African repetitions

squarepushers debut for example

A decent set of monitors - made to reproduce the music under the conditions the artist made it - only costs about 150 bucks... thats less then those Turtle Beach gaming headsets that people seem to freak out about for no reason...

Honestly listen to something you really like with a decent bitrate on decent cans, you WILL notice things you hadnt before.

There's a reason audiophiles like their stuff, but you don't have to shell out 1.5k for the top of the line shit... dumbass

Because somebody's older brother told their cool younger brother.

Well, for starters, if Selected Ambient Works is music made from 1985 to 1992, then that would mean he started making that music at the age of 14.

thank you mr rich

Already explained in this topic right that Squarepusher was inspired by Aphex Twin's work on the Xylem Tube EP. Jeez to people even fucking read through a thread before posting?

Fucking lol, why do you have to be spoonfed?

>caring about the musician more than their music

>not funny
Yeah, because telling one of the biggest pop stars ever to go fuck herself is totally not hilarious and should be taken as a serious offense. I don't know about you, but I'd fuck with people too I was super popular, I could afford it, and everybody idolized me and asked my if what I had for breakfast influenced my music career or whatever. It's not like he's the only one who ever did that.

This fucking board holy shit.

That makes Grimes worse, 5 weeks is obviously a joke whereas claiming 9 days is close enough to be believable but still bullshit

Have you not seen the MTV interview with him?
Unless you just don't get deadpan humour.

i don't trust anybody who doesn't understand why selected ambient works volume 2 in particular is genius, honestly.

i have these headphones and listening to cheetah with them is amazing

fucking this

THANK YOU MR. RICH

I've listened to SAW 85-92, Syro, Cheeta, orphaned dejay2006-08, computer controlld acoustic. What else should I listen to?

ICBYD, Richard D. James Album, Drukqs...
You just missed his best stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=-M8sIzLNVT0
youtube.com/watch?v=wlr8duyToKo

Its irrelevant what was used to get the sounds

the exact same thing made with computers wouldn't somehow be worse

I can't tell if that's bait or just incredibly stupid and ignorant.

Analogue Bubblebath 1-4
...I Care Because You Do
Hangable Auto Bulb
Richard D. James Album
Come to Daddy
Windowlicker
Analord 1-11
Rushup Edge