ITT Albums you use to test headphones

ITT Albums you use to test headphones.

Other urls found in this thread:

itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/eqpmnt./idpl.6af955e32bca4fc2a31fd4fb9c8faeba
youtube.com/watch?v=nSMspiAsu34
youtube.com/watch?v=0YTh1Wsqo2c
dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=In Rainbows
google.com.ec/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0hdLM6fvQAhWFMGMKHWCYA7IQFggYMAA&url=http://productionadvice.co.uk/tt-meter-not-for-vinyl/&usg=AFQjCNHyWfJqPDg7I-AHSO0qLESTei5IDQ&sig2=1MrXb6Aniv2s_4_0KHpAyw&bvm=bv.142059868,d.amc
google.com.ec/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9gJyd7_vQAhVor1QKHWOvA4kQuAIIMzAD&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hRE2RKUV2E&usg=AFQjCNF-Zd0ADeoVdAL7DatD-iW_rWqKfA&sig2=YnjQNfEvchNdCTdhBJsikQ&bvm=bv.142059868,d.cGw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Visitor by Jim O'Rourke. The production is fantastic, the instrumentation is very diverse and there is a lot of dynamic range. Perfect for headphone listening and testing.

This is perfect, and it has such a wide range

Great album but not the best for testing headphones. It's practically lo-fi, most of the tracks are mastered from bedroom cassette recordings.

Are there good headphone for lo-fi?

Baroquesque and maximalist to the point of being too intense if you're not used to it: Multiple timbres, textures and intensity (loud vs quiet), and I know it by heart.

This is one of the most well-produced albums I have ever heard

Bohemian Rhapsody is all you need to test headphones

If you want to try something electronic, try this. It's an excellent mix of deep-bass techno with prepared acoustic instruments. Guest vocals from Panda Bear one one track.

>maximalist

What were you attempting to achieve with that post, user

MBDTF is often called maximalist so it could qualify for this thread.

t. le music defender

I have a special equipment testing playlist, here's it for all of you.

For those of you who use Apple Music: itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/eqpmnt./idpl.6af955e32bca4fc2a31fd4fb9c8faeba

>MBDTF is often called maximalist
Haahah, no shit? Wow. Wow. I guess I'm behind the times and the definition has changed at some point.

The Downward Spiral - NiN

Especially March of the Pigs

Defener*

Mastered like absolute shit

Ageispolis is a great low-end testing track.

Yeah, but that's why I use it to test headphones. If they're your average earbuds, it'll just sound like bedroom casettes, but with good high end headphones, it makes it sound much richer and well mastered

Nice!! Pretty good list

I wish more rock albums sounded as good as clear as this

Yes, I can vouch for this, I use Ageispolis as you can see here

Thanks, man. And I absolutely agree with you RATM's debut is a benchmark for anything rock/metal, or any drums that aren't jazz.

youtube.com/watch?v=nSMspiAsu34
This is how you test your bass
youtube.com/watch?v=0YTh1Wsqo2c
This and the whole album is basically excellent for every purpose.

Deafener*

Anyone?

Anything Radiohead except AMSP and some songs on HTTT. Also, vinyl IR is much less compressed than CD IR.

Amnesiac, Kid A and OKC sound superb.

Specially Kid A

>vinyl IR is much less compressed than CD IR

Is this actually confirmed? Would you say it was significantly different enough to make the vinyl worth buying?

I hear a lot of people complain about poor mastering on CD versions but I'm not convinced it's just audiophiles making stuff up.

>Anything Radiohead

great meme post

>it's just audiophiles making stuff up.
Listen: Unless someone's trying to explain how 128kbps is unfathomably shittier than 320, everything you hear from audiophiles is made up. The problem is they don't know it's made up and are religiously convinced of every stupid thing they say

How's that a meme post? Wht does that even mean anymore? He's clearly suggesting that not all Radiohead is good to test the quality of earphones. Are you even following the thread?

*embarrassment*

>using his worst album

came here to post this, the percussion on here is a good indicator if your headphones are shit or not

Well, it does sound nice...

Absolutely. I have the record, when I first heard it, I was blown away. Considering I was also using $400 headphones, but it does sound beautiful.

OK Computer has always been a staple in the audiophile community for instrument separation and clarity, too.

Definitely, but using it as a measure for earphone quality is almost as dumb as using this one

dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=In Rainbows

The 'unknown source' will most likely be the CD rip.but not confirmed. The vinyl rip has significantly greater dynamic range (i.e. less compressed).

Not quite, that Gang of Four record is much more compressed I believe.

>implying he's made anything decent

NO, DON'T USE THIS FOR VINYL.

Vinyl tests are skewed and misguiding because the TT meter gives analogue recordings around 3 extra points.

Source: google.com.ec/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0hdLM6fvQAhWFMGMKHWCYA7IQFggYMAA&url=http://productionadvice.co.uk/tt-meter-not-for-vinyl/&usg=AFQjCNHyWfJqPDg7I-AHSO0qLESTei5IDQ&sig2=1MrXb6Aniv2s_4_0KHpAyw&bvm=bv.142059868,d.amc

>vinyl is literally and expressedly overrated
WHAT

A

SURPRISE

>>vinyl is literally and expressedly overrated

Where did he say that? He just said that using a TT meter to measure dynamic range in vinyl records is unreliable and unrepresentative. Idiot.

>unreliable and unrepresentative
Because vinyl is overrated. Imbecile.

Don't be a fucking idiot. It's not the record's fault, it's the meter's design and algorithm, which is made for digital, I assume. Sometimes (most of the times, when they are analogue masters), the records do have a greater dynamic range and sound.

(not the other guy) what does "dynamic range of sound" mean, anyway?

yesssssss

tbf Queen albums are very well produced

Yeah but any quality track will do, no need to go for le bohemien rapsoda ecksdee as if it's the culmination of composition and production

The range between the quietest sound on the track and the loudest.

With brickwall compression this range is reduced and sounds shite. Unfortunately this technique is increasingly common in modern music production and mastering.

Dynamic range, in its simplest explanation, is the amount of headroom between a recording's quietest point, and its loudest. Classical music recordings have huge dynamic range because they need it for the performance, you need to be able to hear the difference between the soft flutes or violins, and the overbearingly loud horns, percussion, and cymbals.

In modern recordings, it's the same principle, with different and a lot less instruments. But still, a recording's dynamic range is what makes the drums sound alive for example. Being able to hear that difference in loudness between the hi hats and the rest of the cymbals, the kick drum, etc. It also feels like the music can "breathe", since the soundwaves actually have a lot more space (previously mentioned headroom) to do so.

Look at the picture I embedded and you'll see. This is an EXTREME case, one of the worst I've seen, with an Iggy sound wave for Search & Destroy. In the first one you can actually see the waves and peaks, the second one is just a mushy and squashed brickwall.

Check this video out for a much better explanation: google.com.ec/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9gJyd7_vQAhVor1QKHWOvA4kQuAIIMzAD&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hRE2RKUV2E&usg=AFQjCNF-Zd0ADeoVdAL7DatD-iW_rWqKfA&sig2=YnjQNfEvchNdCTdhBJsikQ&bvm=bv.142059868,d.cGw

Hope I could help you out!

Space between the quietest and loudest parts of a recording. Brickwalled, highly compressed releases genetally sound more tinny and flat, and are almost entirely the same loudness

>snowden's jig
>genuine negro jig
lol

Forgot to upload the picture...

Duly noted

Haha it does sound great, though, nice violins.

Postdata: This has to do with the volume wars of the 90s, rigth?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

so thats why I always have to adjust volume when Im listening to classical. It's always either too quiet or too loud.

Get better equipment. Also it's really designed for a quiet listening environment

Yep, haha, if your equipment (or your ears) handles it well, you shouldn't have to change the volume, at least I don't. What I do is set the voliume on the loudest parts to the maximum I will listen to without it being too loud, then the quiet parts are quiet, but still listenable.

lol

Not the other guy, but I sadly have to mess with the volume knob a lot because I'm slowly but noticeably and steadily going fucking deaf. Possibly partly because of this

sorry friend

That sucks. Thank God I was already into audiophilia at 12 when I first started going to live shows and shit, so I'd put filters in my ears. I also listen to relatively low volumes since my hearing is near perfect and I can consistently hear up to 19khz out of the original 20k. Take care of your hearing people.

Do you use open earbuds? Those plus treble heavy music is terrible for your ears

the second half of Gng Bng by flying lotus

Depends on my budget at any given time, really. It's too late to do anything about it, so might as well blast music at full volume all the time. I'm pretty sure I won't live to the age of 40 anyway. Gonna make the best of my final decade on Earth and if, due to some extraordinary cosmic overlook, I'm still alive, I guess I'll become a recluse in some hermitage and live in silence for the rest of my days.

I am not good at making life decisions.

Well what is it

deerhunter halcyon digest

DSOTM

overrated album but might be the best production i've heard

>he hasn't listened to 1930 or Hybrid Noisebloom