>Saudade

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gloat
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sehnsucht
elleadityes.com/2015/10/29/ces-12-mots-danglais-intraduisibles-en-francais/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Describe around it

>Lagom

It is a feeling. It means you miss something or someone or some event. There is no word for it in english. Maybe in another language?
What does that mean bro?

>The Lexin Swedish-English dictionary defines lagom as "enough, sufficient, adequate, just right". Lagom is also widely translated as "in moderation", "in balance", "perfect-simple", and "suitable" (in matter of amounts). Whereas words like sufficient and average suggest some degree of abstinence, scarcity, or failure, lagom carries the connotation of appropriateness, although not necessarily perfection. The archetypical Swedish proverb "Lagom är bäst", literally "The right amount is best", is also translated as "Enough is as good as a feast". That same proverb is translated as "There is virtue in moderation".

Cuck, truly shows anglo mentality

Melancolie, maybe ?

This is English, we simply just say "saudade" and steal the word lol :^)

That is a pretty cool word bro. Thank you.
>Melancolie, a very deep word... as in melancholy or in pt, melancolia? Seems pretty translatable frenchbro.

Start using it you fuggin leaf. I dare you to. ;^)

>Saudade (European Portuguese: [sɐwˈðaðɨ], Brazilian Portuguese: [sawˈdadi] or [sawˈdadʒi], Galician: [sawˈðaðe]; plural saudades)[1] is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.[2] A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.

I mean, melancolie is like saudade no ?

Not the same bro. Saudade implies "missing someone or something that is gone". How do you say "I miss "X"" in french? In pt, we can say, "Eu sinto falta de "X"". Or we can say, X? Saudades do "X"...
Do you say "I feel melancholy for X? in french?
Melancolia, is rarely used. It is more for describing a state of feeling and mind. Like in english, I feel melancholic.
But, "I feel melacholic =/= saudade"

any germanbros with some cool words from their language?

I need a Russian's help.

Wtf does "лaйки" mean? It translates in English to "huskies", but I don't understand it's implication. Is it a slang term for a guy's boner or something?

"I'm feeling melancholic because I miss X" isn't similar to "Saudade do X" ?

not sure about this one, but anyway.
> Grosse Salope

Tetelque: the flavor of dryness left in your mouth by some fruits.
This is a Salvadoran word of Nahua origin.

I've heard a German word Backpfeifengesicht, which means a face to be punched.
Is this really used or known?

It means the doggy in space. Laika)))

Wow, you just wrote "big bitch".

Paix
Civilisation
Richesse
Progrès
Développement
Ingéniosité
Ordre
Éducation
Évolution
Rayonnement
Pureté

I've... Never felt that. Which fruits leave that sensation?

Y'all

I often come across untranslatable words and expressions by accident.

apéritif

it means appetizer, but it also means the "action" or the moment appetizers are eaten
tu viens à l'apéritif ? (are you coming for the apéritif ?)
apéro is short

très très bon post

amai
dinges

>Saudade
>untranslatable
German Sehnsucht is practically the same as Portuguese "saudade". And for most part, English "missing" (as in "I miss Mary" - "sinto saudades da Mary") does a fine job translating it.

melancholie

aperitief

jullie allemaal

>Backpfeifengesicht
Yup, it's a real word.

Another funny German word would be Drachenfutter (dragon food) - gifts to appease an angry girlfriend/wife.

Y'all isn't untranslatable. It's just "you, plural", Dixie.

Why didn't anyone mention "schadenfreude" yet твн

Leedvermaak (literally: suffering entertainment)

Cashew is the first that comes into mind. Especially when it's yellow... man, now I want some cashew.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gloat
Pretty much the same.

Awkward?

Creepy?

>aperitief
no

> "sinto saudades da Mary"
> I miss marry
For the most part, it works, but "missing" is not a noun. And saudade is. There is no word for the noun, saudade, in english.

Well, at least in theory you could say stuff as "I have missings for Mary", but it sounds weird as fuck.

Awkward?
Gênant/embarassant
Creepy?
flippant

Literally no one says that. Not even autists. Saudade is a portuguese word, exclusive to the portuguese language. And it is a beautiful word. As such, it is untranslateable.

Awkward would be estranho in pt. Creepy same, albeit not exactly same, but close.

>shadenfreude
Bingo. That word is very specific to german language. There is no literal translation/expression. So much so that it has been adopted in other languages to express the meaning within it. I wonder if german has many untranslatable words....

I miss a lot of interjections in English. Like the word hè at the end of sentences.

It's a bit like "tasty huh". You try to involve the other person in your conversation. But in Dutch it's used a lot more often and with a broader meaning. It's also used meaning: "Don't you think?" ""Do you agree?" "If we assume this is true" etc.

But also other filler words like hoor. Which is used at the end of sentences to confirm you consent or agree, but reluctantly. It's also used when you encourage others to do things that they are reluctant to do. Then you end your sentence with hoor.

>Saudade is a portuguese word, exclusive to the portuguese language. And it is a beautiful word. As such, it is untranslateable.
"Not in English" isn't the same as "exclusive to Portuguese". Again, German Sehnsucht is pretty much the same as "saudade" (and yeah, it's a noun).

And you reminded me "cafuné" (running the fingers through someone's hair in a tender way). I can't recall a good translation for this one in English, German or Italian.

>Awkward would be estranho in pt
Not quite... it's a mix of bisonho, estranho and constrangedor. Like, when you meet with your ex-girlfriend and you don't know what to say? Awkward.

skadeglädje
we're germanic though, so it really doesn't count

Sounds like we are less in the realm of words and more in the realm of expressions. Is this perception wrong?

I'll do this again hoor. (I will do this again, as no one else does it).

I'll beat him up hoor (I WILL beat him up if needed).

You can grab a piece of the pie hoor (You can grab a piece of the pie, it's acceptable and has no consequence)

I'll watch you hoor (I will watch you, don't worry)

nostalgia works fine as traslation

Nigger

It literally means hear.

So it might be somewhat related to "ya hear me?"

Geborgenheit

Huh, Sehnsucht. According to google, that is "anseio" (to be anxious for/of), and desejo (to desire). So no, not even close to Saudade. But a pretty good word, for basic level speaking german like me.

Intenta otra vez. (Try again.)
Saudade no hay en espanol. (Extranar es verbo)

Great album by the way

You don't really get the full meaning of Sehnsucht by breaking it up into the twp words it consists of. Ie feel it is actually pretty close to saudade, although I could be entirely wrong since I don't know any portuguese.

>Hoor
Me escuta?
Me entende?
Me comprendez-mendez?

I always thought of 'hoor' as the way we Australian's use "aye (aka hey)"

No don't go there that place is shit, hey
Nee ga er niet, die plekje is kut, hoor

Could be wrong though

Does English have any untranslatable words?

Coming from a swiss, I will bite. Maybe both words are pretty unique to their languages. I will try it out on whenever I run into germans/austrians/swiss tho.

we have a lot of untranslatable adjectives I think, cringey is a good one.

Brazilian cliche when talking to foreigners #29

It literally means missing someone/something.

plenty but the native language just uses the english word in inverted commas
truly the worlds language

As said, you can't simply "break" German compounds that way without losing the original meaning... see my Drachenfutter example.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sehnsucht describes the word as "yearning; longing; nostalgia (tender, wistful, and/or melancholy desire)", so yeah, pretty much the same as "saudade".

awkward is one I can never translate quite right

Good find. I think it's actually a pretty good translation.

If we do this, aye, then you don't have to worry, aye.

english has the largest vocabulary of any language, logically it would have the highest number of untranslatable words

Yes, here 12 of them

elleadityes.com/2015/10/29/ces-12-mots-danglais-intraduisibles-en-francais/

yeah, that is a good one. there is no direct translation to pt for it, but it means "vergonha alheia" (shame for the other). Or as an expression, "nojo".

Maybe bochornoso could work.

haha ja je bent nu erg dik, hoor
haha yeah you're fat now, aye

kind of works I guess
tchjongen jongen jongen doesn't translate so well.. maybe it's like "boy oh boy" or something

heh, in pt, everything that is "cringey", "awkward" or "strange", is basically the same word: estranho.

Myötähäpeällinen

In usage, "hoor" reminds me a lot "tá, tá":

Tá, tá, vou fazer isso.
Fine, I'll do this. [I give up fighting against doing this, I'm convinced now, stop begging me to do this.]

However it has nothing to do with "hear" (tá < está bem = "that's ok")

>Myötähäpeällinen
RARE
A
R
E

hè hè we're finally done.

I bet there are af least four words glued.

it is nostalgia

Saudade is a bit of a meme word, because the reason it can't be translated is because it is an amalgamation of translatable feelings all rolled into a word that vary on context. It usually means one of these
>missing someone that has died
>longing for someone that is away
>missing some better time that has passed but will never come back

but can also mean:
>missing someone right in front of you
>love-ache for someone

A harder word to translate would be "desenrascar", but you can fake it in english by "unscrewing oneself". Usually by using some weird, genious smartass way of solving a problem using unorthodox and improvised methods.

We use hear as well in that sense. I will beat him up, oíste.

you just smashed your face on the keyboard pekka

Ici, on commence à dire « malaisant » pour awkward

Also kind of how canadians use eh?

Nostalgia, in pt =/= saudade.

how about the opposite:
in russian there is no word for privacy
try google translate. takes 3 fucking words to describe it in russian. weird

hella

nawm sayin

Based pai knows what`s up with saudade.

Nigga, if we play that game we have the andalusians and their crazy words.

I don't think so. It's also not exactly the same as aye, as Dutch people also use it to express reluctance. But I think aye is as close as it gets.

thats just black people for "very"

Is this the new drug everyone's taking now?

Thanks for the reply.
Dragon food, it's interesting that even German men are afraid of angry women.
Indeed, German women look scary.

inorite? maybe we should start a thread for what are expressions/words for "cocaine" in one`s language.
>pó

Most of the words you guys use to describe faces are usually pretty tough to bring into romance languages:
>scowl
>leer
>stare
>smirk
>frown
>gawk
>gaze
>glare

These are all pretty tough variations that we just go by "mean face", "happy face", "angry face", but none convey as varied a meaning as the English ones.

Yeah, there's a lot weird stuff in the Portuguese language than saudade. At least to english.
"Fodesses-te, mas é!" -> "if only you would fuck your self, or something"

"Ah e tal" -> literally untranslatable. It's a way of stalling a thought and skipping the beginning of an explanation in medias res.

Big Black Cock

>"Ah e tal"
I'd actually challenge a Luso to translate:

>"Ah e tal, porque torna e porque deixa, vai-se a ver e coiso."

It's literally stalling gibberish:

>"Oh and such, for this or other, you go and see it and then, stuff".

It holds literally no meaning.

My man.

Pic is me listening the album

Pau Preto Grande
Negão
Cacetão (black or white)
Pirocão
Pauzudo
Roludo
I can go on and on. Brazilians have big cocks and many words for their cocks, i guess.

Wistful is pretty much untranslatable by any means desu

>wistful
Bingo bro. That is a rare word. To me, it seemingly unstranslatable.
>: full of yearning or desire tinged with melancholy; also : inspiring such yearning