What did/do you think of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r7gmVWgEpRc)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I didn't listen to it

It's good

Too good for Sup Forums

Said no person with a brain

funny u should post this because i thought that pretty much nobody thought about partynextdoor if they considered themselves a serious music-er so I had written off any thought of having some discussion about his music.

I listened to this and was super impressed with high hopes, brown skin, and some other tracks on here. Then I went back to P2 and P1 and listened to those and I just never stopped listening till the point where most of my most listened tracks this year are PartyNextDoor tracks. I'm still listening to his discography pretty regularly, with my favorite album being P2 and I like it a lot. There are some moments in all the albums which aren't to my liking but I still keep listening to his stuff more than anyone elses. I think the production in particular is super good, and when visualising the music I get an orchestra consisting of the production elements and the voice elements *sort of* like this video (youtube.com/watch?v=r7gmVWgEpRc)

>but I still keep listening to his stuff more than anyone else

... even though I see other music as more "perfect" -- like stuff from talk talk or d'angelo.

>when visualising the music I get an orchestra consisting of the production elements and the voice elements

... wheras in other music which I don't consider too good I'll visualize it like an unraveling line or bar, like sheet music which is pretty static rather than having multiple elements interacting with each other.

>d'angelo
speaking of d-angelo there's a similarity I see between them two. they both have a fluidity and single-mindedness between the vocal elements and the instrumental.

for pnd example of this, see you've been missed from 1:57 to 2:07

and for pnd interplay of different vocal levels, with each having a single purpose, see you've been missed 0:40 to 0:43

for d'angelo interplay between different vocal elements see the line 1:00 to 1:10

for d'angelo interplay between vocals and instrumentals see send it on 4:54 to 5:03

what i'm talking about here Is a closness between different elements of the songs, vocals and instrumentals. In the cases i've noted here there is a clear recognition between the artist of a trading off or completing sentences vibe of different layers of the track: lyrics, different layers of vocals, and instrumentation

and they all work towards the same goal which is a certain feeling that the track is meant to be conveying

>and for pnd interplay of different vocal levels, with each having a single purpose, see you've been missed 0:40 to 0:43

here different layers of vocals cut in and out and combine to finish one sentence

>they both have a fluidity and single-mindedness between the vocal elements and the instrumental.
they both have a *demonstrable and recognizable* fluidity ...

>for pnd example of this, see you've been missed from 1:57 to 2:07
here the lyrics cut out to let the instrumentals do some talking

>for d'angelo interplay between vocals and instrumentals see send it on 4:54 to 5:03
here the lyrics cut out to let the instrumentals do some talking, the lyrics actually say that this is what is happening which is pretty cool

related to

>for d'angelo interplay between different vocal elements see the line 1:00 to 1:10
here the different layers of vocals cut in and out to combine and finish one sentence

similar to

"Yous a vegan but you going ham"
"I ain't looking for a boo like a ghostbuster"
LUL/10

Honestly it was alright but pic related was my fav alt-rnb album of this year followed closely by that dvsn album

late nights is not very similar to P3

They are both nocturnal, contemporary RnB albums. I think they are comparable, although I enjoyed Late Nights much more

both artists are black, yes, and both albums are have a night-time setting, yes, but I think those are pretty much the only similarities.

subject matter, feeling/message/essence, and method of delivering the feeling/message/essence are all quite different imo.

for example, I think P3 and Voodoo (by d-angelo) are more similar than P3 and Late Nights despite voodoo being a more sunny, traditional rnb album

>I ain't looking for a boo like a ghostbuster
what song is this lyric in?

The overall feel of the albums is different, obviously because they are different albums. Regardless, I think they are still comparable as they exist within the same genre. For example, you can compare Reign in Blood by Slayer and Rust in Peace by Megadeth because they are both thrash metal albums, regardless that thematically they could not be more different.

how do you know that late nights and p3 are the same genre? what information indicates this?

or maybe, I would say that that genre classification that you are using isn't very helpful and I would rather classify albums by "subject matter, feeling/message/essence, and method of delivering the feeling/message/essence" because then comparison between albums within a single category might be fruitful

Both albums have a primary genre tag of "Contemporary RnB" on RYM. I don't really see how you could see these two albums as part of different genres, honestly. How would you classify them?

idk, see

It seems pretty clear that even though they have clear differences they are still within the same genre. If we were to classify albums, as you suggest, by "subject matter, feeling/message/essence, and method of delivering the feeling/message/essence," we would have trouble finding albums to compare I would think. For example, what would be comparable to ITAOTS using that criteria? Other albums that deliver a story vaguely referencing Anne Frank through an indie folk? This just seems too narrow. By comparing ITAOTS using genre, we can compare it to other E6 albums, and even albums like the Glow pt 2. While these albums all thematically differ quite significantly, they are comparable through genre classification.

Literally trash. Like 3/10

His last 2 projects were great

Nobody

making stuff up here, but aeroplane seems to me like lyric-driven white people music. sun kil moon similar, or what?

when I listen to late nights and p3 i don't think to compare them, the speakers might both be at a party but having very different experiences

how about classifying based on the personality of the speaker and the method in which the artist composes sounds to convey some feeling.