Does this look like shocks or struts based on first glance?

Does this look like shocks or struts based on first glance?

Something is broken I can't get a good look behind the wheel and I don't have a jack to jack it up currently.

Could be a broken coil spring or strut mount. Could be a broken control arm. Hard telling without getting underneath it.

Since the hood is partway up it looks like the tower rusted and the spring is in the engine compartment.

The hood is up from a previous collision

you guys shouldn't be trying to figure this out, you know nothing about cars. the grand cherokee does not have a strut suspension.

Those have coil springs and four link + track bar.

I own one of these fuckers. Amazed that someone could break a spring, that takes one hell of a whack. I'd also be worried about the front axle, could be fucked user.
Got to get under the heep and look

it looks like an american car doing what american cars do.

Well I live in Alaska and the fucking thing went into a ditch before I bought for next to nothing I knew something was bound to be seriously fucked up but this happened literally a day after I bought it

looks like your front axle decided to fuck off somewhere

Just remember what Jeep stands for

Just
Expect
Every
Problem

Only way to know is to get under it and take photos. Could be simple, could be the front frame. Could be the spring just broke.

One thing for sure is there is no way to tell from just that photo.

Nope.

Just Empty Every Pocket

struts push the body up
shocks push the tire down
figure the rest out yourself
although based on your demonstrated mechanical aptitude, you should take it to a shop

Not exactly sure what I just read.
But I'm fairly sure you don't know shit about Jeep ZJs.

Joking aside that 4.0 high output engine is a fucking tank. My family has a 1991 and a 1996. 380k and 210k km (metric fag)

Finally got it jacked up. Looks like a combo between a broken spring and damaged shock

it's stance

Some nigger put hydraulics on a jeep. Fuckin wonderful. This world is going to hell in a chimp basket

Yep. it's a 93. Stroked it to 4.5 about ten years ago. Paint is shit, bit of rock rash, but I can drive it anywhere with no fucks given.

They don't stroke out to a 4.5 you fucking twat. Nice bait attempt

I bet he knows a shock when he sees one.

czhked, and easy fix.
Besides if it's as old as I think it is you needed springs anyway. Might have to move the windshield washer bottle out of the way to get that drivers side shock out/in. Had to move the ABS pump a bit too. Just friggin hard to get at that top nut.

You might want to up the gain if you want anyone to see anything.

Procharged it to 3.4 liters thing is a boss man I love rock crawling

Probably. But he don't know how they work.

A vehicle either has shocks or struts, not both. Physically they're the same, the difference is the way the suspension is built. And that isn't a strut problem. A part of the suspension has broken. My sister had a 95 grand cherokee and the lower control arm actually broke off the car, looked pretty similar to that.

5.8 v8 master race here. Looks like a lifted version of yours with a big ass roof rack and lights. Hope its a cheap fix bud

Yea.. too bright outside, fucks up the phone camera. Plus I'm lazy

It's a shame how far they have fallen in quality now that Fiat makes them. That era of Jeep's main enemy seems to be rust. I don't drive American but if I found a low mileage clean one I'd buy it in a second

Would be easy to check and I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happened.

Chzked.
And those fucking useless LED headlights.
I wanted a new ZJ but those lights suck so badly it's not worth it.

Must be where you live, mines got zero rust. But I also live in Colorado so nothing rusts too bad

OP, check out a jeep or 4x4 forum like pirate 4x4 or jeepforum.com. Those guys are better mechanics and are more knowledgeable than most dealerships. Always helped me keep mine limping along

I'm in the rust belt so everything rusts. Just every 90's jeep you see has its rockers eatin away or a Fred Flintstone floor