Hi to all the guitarfags

Hi to all the guitarfags
Got an electric Guitar (S-670) from my deceased grandfather and want to start playing
Could use some pointers, though
I want to play the classics (Blue Öyster Cult, Kansas, Clapton, Santana), but I know that I'm far away from playing stuff like that
1) Where do I start? I already know some chords and barre chords, but have problems with holding the plectrum right, switching between some chords (Em to B5, D to F) and with the up-down-strokes. Are there any pointers as to improve?
2) Which songs are good for beginners ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Use Songsterr dot com to help you with tabs, and you will get the hang of it. Just keep practicing till you self teach yourself

I still don't know much when it comes to knowing what certain chords are, scales. But I have an ease with learning songs now which is wonderful over the past few years. I just need to fine tune my knowledge with the minor shit.

alright, thank you

the riff of kansas' carry on my wayward son has a delicious use of the left hand pinky. i used to find that very satisfying. probably a good one to get you using that finger as early as possible (it certainly feels weird for a long time).

When it comes to picks, I was never comfortable holding them until I found a weight/thickness that suited me.

you gotta find the right picks man. luckily, credit cards are perfect for me.
Learn some basic songs like smells like teen spirit and shit like that. Then, when you get the basic basics down look up the pentatonic major, minor, and the blues scale. After learning those three you'll be able to play santana and clapton with ease.

don't learn songs. Learn where all the notes and their octaves are, then learn different scales, then songs. Before any of that, practice your technique, you should almost never move your hand all around the neck. Keep in mind that the top two strings (the little ones) are tuned on half step (one fret) lower than the bottom four.

The only difference between a major and minor scale is that the third is one half step lower in minor.

Ordering this tomorrow!

Nice
sounds good
never got the hang with notes, can only do tabs
okay, thanks

play every day, and techniques in playing is the most important thing

In addition to the above
>tl;dr
Learn how to read tabs. Then get guitar pro 6 software to play along with your favorite songs in midi format. It's a great way to practice.

For instance, you can set the songs to play at 75% the original speed to get yourself trained up.

The picture is one of my guitars!

Always stand while practicing if you ever plan on playing live. "Practice how you want to play live"
Practice everyday. Forget learning other people's song unless your own motive is to impress people that don't play themselves.

Also, what size pick are you using?

Imho a very useful exercise is to play 1-2-3-4 in every string with alternate picking. Start slow and practice with a metronome

Floating bridges can be a pain to setup. But they are awesome when they are. Just don't plan on doing a lot of tuning with that unless you want a big headache each time.

I've learnt a lot of cool techniques exclusively from learning other peoples songs. Just my preference I suppose.

was thinking about Guitar Pro, thank you
erm, normal size? I don't know, it's pretty soft if that's what you mean
oh yeah, had it already checked in a store because the bridges were fucked

another thing: even after being in the store for calibrating, the strings still have that buzzing sound. what do? Did I get ripped off and should give it to another store?

This guy is wrong. The third is not the only half step that is in a different place than major:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale

If it's buzzing, your action is likely too low so when you hit a string, it vibrates and hits other frets causing the buzz. That can be fixed by raising the action. But DO NOT fucking raise the action without loosening off the strings - you can fuck your bridge up permanently by doing that. That's my best guess anyway.

The other reason could be because the bridge isnt set up properly. Make sure it is floating completely level with your guitar (look at it from the side). If its tipping back into the guitar it will lower the strings and could be causing the buzzing. If that's the case, the springs on the back are too tight.

In any case, that means you gotta set it up again. Time for you to start reading!

My friend and I consider ourselves to be pretty accomplished guitarists.

We've each taught a few people how to begin playing guitar or bass.

My personal opinion for a starter is to:

1.) Get your guitar and action professionally setup (until you can do so yourself.) To make sure you're getting the best out of your instrument.

2.) Become familiar with tablature software. Tux guitar is free and is pretty quality.

3.) Keep practicing at the tabs at a slow speed until you have it perfected. It will take days and days.

Guitar is easy, but it takes months of patience and practice. Learn GOOD techniques. It will be a long time before you get the feel for it but you WILL get it down if you have PATIENCE.

Good luck.

perhaps the store set the action super low, some people like it that low as long as there isnt any buzz when playing through the amp. Wouldnt worry about a little buzz as long as it does not fret out or notes go plink. A low action is easy to learn on, high action demands more strength and precision. Also floating bridges are usually a bitch to tune and set up. Even double lockings ones... TOP TIP: Learn to do your own setup, it will help you in the long run and you will fins the sweet spot for your preffered action and setup.

The bigger E-String is about 4mm away from the 12th fret, is that too low?
I'm not sure but once I tried calibrating it myself using the manual, and I'm not sure if I loosened the strings enough back then, but that was shortly before giving it to the store and they said that there was no problem and that it's now set perfectly
And I have no real Amp, but connect the guitar to my PC and use software
But that buzzing sometimes occurs when playing a barre chord, so I'm not sure if it's shitty picking/holding or the guitar

and it happens when I play single notes, most times when picking too close to the fret wires

The Helix nebula have good songs to learn,

It's hard to say OP, perhaps bring your guitar to another music store and quiz one of the guys working. They'll be better able to help you.

Hah, that might be a little difficult for OP this early in his guitar playing career! But I dig The Helix Nebula, especially the bass. The dude who plays bass sessions for Plini, another of my favorite artists. Along with Intervals, Periphery, Sithu Aye, and a bunch of others

Just focus a lot on technique. Make sure you play with good posture or your wrists may regret it. Also practice with a fucking metronome and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.