Your bullshit musical elitism is killing music

People are always bitching about how music “isn’t as good as it used to be” or that “rock is dying.” But you know what is at the forefront of that? The widespread bullshit musical elitism.

So calledmusic loversare the ones actually killing music.

Why? Because in order to get major points towards whatever identity you’re trying to craft, you have to hate. How fucked up is that? In some circles, people will give you more credit for the bands you hate than for the bands you love. You can say “I fucking hate Nickleback! They’re ruining music!” and you’ll get high fives and cheers all around. You might even start a passionate discussion about the downfall of all music as we know it. Say “I fucking love Muse,” and people will casually respond being like “Yeah, Muse is pretty good.” But you won’t get nearly the same amount of reaction by being positive.

We get off on being narrow minded. Some people whittle away their musical palette until they only like a specific genre of music. And that music is THE ONLY WAY AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT YOU ARE A PHILISTINE. But their musical taste isn’t “superior,” it’s just smaller. They simply likelessmusic. How have we crafted that into a “good thing?” Why can’t we enjoy both commercial and niche music? Why can’t we enjoy both popular and obscure music? Why is it one or the other? Why is it that if you like genre-x you have to hate genre-y?

Not all music is created for the same reason, so listening to all music the same way makes no sense. Take pop music, for example. Pop music isn’t supposed to be deep. It isn’t supposed to be complicated.“It’s shitty shallow, commercial music and ruining music blablablablabla”WELL NO SHIT ITS COMMERICIAL. It’s fun, catchy, feel good music to dance around like an idiot. WHY ARE YOU HATING ON ITS MAIN MUSICAL CHARACTERISTICS? If you don’t like it, fine. It’s not your thing. But to actively exert energy to despise and hate on it with your friends and the internet MAKES NO SENSE.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Music/comments/o2x3v/your_bullshit_musical_elitism_is_killing_music/
youtube.com/watch?v=tVE8O_mMaX0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music, yet we keep lowering the standards when we talk about other types of music, to avoid the uncomfortable situation where the butt rock dude or the druggy EDM boy gets anal pained when they are told the great masters are better than their shitty hedonistic hero.

Instead of white guilt, in the music world there is "classical" guilt. We keep lowering the standards for other kinds of music to compensate and preserve our dream of marxist culturalism. Of perfect musical relativism. Guess what? It isn't true and the compositional talent and imagination displayed, which is all that counts in the end when we have to say what is worth being saved and what not, is infinitely superior in classical music than in any other form of music.

If your shitty pop muzak is an 8 what the fuck are Beethoven's late string quartets? a 400? most music is barely a 1 to 3, the Beatles fall in here and so do most other popular music with very few exceptions that reach a 4, even a 5. Bartok string quartets would be a 6, 2 degrees of magnitude higher you have works by Brahms and other great masters. Then 9 and 10 are reserved for the highest achievements of human race like Beethoven's late string quartets or his Missa Solemnis or Mass in B minor by Bach or his Brandenburg Concertos.

Are you saying there's no music which you don't like?

Is this copypasta from Ultimate-Guitar.com or something?

Because since I stopped going to their forums and news pages I have encountered far fewer people who are on either side of the Nickleback 'debate'

good post OP i love you

You do realise how small this community of ""elitest"" would actually be compared to the ever increasing size of mainstream or casual music fans. I doubt they'll be having an effect anytime soon.
This only effect they are having is they are making you salty because of your objectively shite taste.

Go get some taste you fucking child
This is a new copypasta

People are always bitching about how music “isn’t as good as it used to be” or that “rock is dying.” But you know what is at the forefront of that? The widespread bullshit musical elitism.

So calledmusic loversare the ones actually killing music.

Why? Because in order to get major points towards whatever identity you’re trying to craft, you have to hate. How fucked up is that? In some circles, people will give you more credit for the bands you hate than for the bands you love. You can say “I fucking hate Nickleback! They’re ruining music!” and you’ll get high fives and cheers all around. You might even start a passionate discussion about the downfall of all music as we know it. Say “I fucking love Muse,” and people will casually respond being like “Yeah, Muse is pretty good.” But you won’t get nearly the same amount of reaction by being positive.

We get off on being narrow minded. Some people whittle away their musical palette until they only like a specific genre of music. And that music is THE ONLY WAY AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT YOU ARE A PHILISTINE. But their musical taste isn’t “superior,” it’s just smaller. They simply likelessmusic. How have we crafted that into a “good thing?” Why can’t we enjoy both commercial and niche music? Why is it that if you like genre-x you have to hate genre-y?

Not all music is created for the same reason, so listening to all music the same way makes no sense. Take pop music, for example. Pop music isn’t supposed to be deep. It isn’t supposed to be complicated.“It’s shitty shallow, commercial music and ruining music blablablablabla”WELL NO SHIT ITS COMMERICIAL. It’s fun, catchy, feel good music to dance around like an idiot. WHY ARE YOU HATING ON ITS MAIN MUSICAL CHARACTERISTICS? If you don’t like it, fine. It’s not your thing. But to actively exert energy to despise and hate on it with your friends and the internet MAKES NO SENSE.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

I'm not elitest, I just have better taste than everyone else.

t. metal shitter

Sup Forums was an objectively better board when it was elitist and tried to explore more obscure and less mainstream genres.

Poseurcore, pleb/patrician and waifutards have turned the board into the billboard / p4k forums and it's embarissing to come here now.

Googled before reading and I think I'll skip this thread.
reddit.com/r/Music/comments/o2x3v/your_bullshit_musical_elitism_is_killing_music/

>being this new

>People are always bitching about how music “isn’t as good as it used to be”
we dont do it here and we call those that to "wrong generation fags"

I also want to name where I am coming from in this piece: I am a non-binary, genderfluid, genderqueer, white, middle-class, AFAB, thin person, and that affects my work, although I do my best to enrich my knowledge with other perspectives

Rock music needs more elitism, if anything.
The vast majority bands that have been heralded as great for the past couple of decades have been mediocre at best.

how is this post acceptable?

How can you all be so fucking brainless, I mean really? Music in this day in age is absolutely awful, and any, and all of you that think otherwise are completely and utterly retarded. How can you you even think that fucking Kanye West is anything but completely and utter garbage? It boggles my fucking mind how dumb all of you are. Kanye West is a fucking atrocity to this world, the so called "greatest living rockstar on the planet". What a fucking joke, Freddie Mercury a HUMAN is the greatest musician to have ever lived not a fucking gayfish. Kanye is just some fucking awful retarded nigger, along with the rest of you fucking faggots and your rap music, like fucking 2chainz and that piece of shit Kendrick Lamar who wants to fucking kill cops but who cares because the niggers will be alright, while the whites grieve over the death, the niggers will be partying. Dont even get me fuckign started on "Nicki Minaj". What a fucking joke, her entire concept, and only reason she is popular is because she has a big ass, and that fact shes an absolute fucking slut. How can you fucking morons live with yourself, or do you not realize how fucking stupid you really are. Why dont you try educating yourself. and listening to some Queen, Nirvana, or fucking hell even Metallica. You what, on second thought? Dont, dont ever change, that way the people who know what REAL ACTUAL MUSIC IS, can stay that way and you dumb fucking niggers can keep to yourselves

>People are always bitching about how music “isn’t as good as it used to be” or that “rock is dying.”
Stop reading YouTube comments.

>classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music
>hedonistic
>marxist culturalism
>musical relativism

This will trigger the stormcuck:
youtube.com/watch?v=tVE8O_mMaX0

Why would it?

Music elitism is probably one of the most pathetic behaviours I've observed among people.

But it's this drive and desire to be "different" and better than anyone else that's keeping indie music alive I believe. It gives non-mainstream artists a chance in the music market.