Memes aside, what does Sup Forums think about Yes?

Memes aside, what does Sup Forums think about Yes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=98-iBpbEbNk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Jojo reference?

Theyre great. Skittle overrated but they had a great sound imho.
Some of their albums are leagues ahead of other releases, but still great

Also theyre amazing love, highly recommend it

Cheesy, wanky shit, like the majority of prog

listening to roundabout right now desu

I prefer the manga t b h

There are two types of prog.

King Crimson, Magma, Univers Zero, Henry Cow, etc is the good kind

and then you have shit like Yes

That would be 80's Yes and Asia.

I dont really like them, perfer KC.

My ranking of the relevant Yes albums from best to worst:

Close to the Edge
Fragile

--POWER GAP--

Relayer
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Going for the One
Drama
The Yes Album
YES!
Time and a Word
Tormato

--POWER GAP--

Magnification
Keys to the Ascension
Big Generator
The Ladder
Heaven and Earth

Pretty good. My favorite song is the one that plays at the end of JoJo!!!

Close to the edge is one of my favorite albums.

Best post-Bruford Yessong?

Got to be Awaken for me, though I will take other offers. I would have Sound Chaser as runner up.

youtube.com/watch?v=98-iBpbEbNk

I think you forgot Fly From Here

I like i- TO BE CONTINUED

I've listened to some early Yes too, not as bad as their 80s output but still pretty wanky cheese

Is having any technical ability on any given instrument just wank in your mind?

They're fine. Like most 70s prog it would be so much more bearable without the vocals

I thought Keys to Ascension was pretty fantastic. I got out of basic training in spring of 84 and saw their 90125 show while on leave. It was pretty fantastic. Saw many shows there after. Some albums were good, others were just meh, but most everything before 90125 was pretty fantastic. Hard to keep producing amazing shit for that long, even with their skill set.

This, biggest reason why I don't like Yes, vocalist is just fucking awful

Gates of Delirium symphonic version. Pure gold

Haven't listened to them for a really long time, but Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, and Relayer are all fantastic.

i disagree. there is a lot of heart and soul on their early records. especially on close to the edge.

to me wank = showcasing talent for the sake of showing off and yes was never about that.

reminder if you have long songs it's automatically dream theater-wank

It was good before the weebs ruined it

I've deleted it since

The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge are the only ones worth listening to. Relayer is DECENT.

>Relayer is DECENT
:(

>Cheesy
>Prog Rock
King Crimson?

They're both good. The bad prog bands are the Yes copycats that stagnated the genre

I think they're [TO BE CONTINUED]

>This, biggest reason why I don't like Yes, vocalist is just fucking awful
Jon Anderson is awful? I hope you're not serious. I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy his voice, but to say that he's awful is ignorant. Lou Reed was awful and couldn't actually sing. And he even admitted it. Some songs worked, but most are hit and miss.

Yes is great. Close to the edge is their best album, but relayer is a guilty pleasure of mine desu

Their vocal harmomies sound like poo poo. I only like their instrumental work and as soon as the vocals come in I turn it off.

Going for the One is my #2.

Fair enough, his voice just ruins the music rather than compliments it like Lou Reed's voice does the Velvets

The Jojo meme always made me want to listen to Roundabout but then I realized the memes always stop the song just before it goes to shit.

The only meme here is you

we're all memes honestly

In my opinion, there are not many albums on which Lou Reed's vocals worked - TVU & Nico, White Light / White Heat, Berlin, Songs for Drella. There are a few more, but reciting the lyrics worked better for him than actually singing them. And how exactly have Jon Anderson's vocals ruined songs?

You're right. We've reached a point in humanity where everyone and everything is a meme.

yeah but im an objectively better meme

You've got the wrong three albums. The Yes Album through Close to the Edge show them in a state of progression, Tales and Relayer are them trying to show up previous achievements which takes the focus away from actually pushing their boundaries, which is why they sound bloated and hollow. There's really nothing on those four long tracks that's as effective as the intro to Close to the Edge alone. Those first few minutes somehow capture this feeling of being really incomplete and unresolved, and it gets right to the source of that emotion. At best Tales and Relayer manage to capture an atmosphere or evoke some kind of vague image, but that's about it.

symphonic prog

Bass tone is awful and far too loud in the mix. The drummer doesn't play right for the mood of the song. They sometimes get caught up in their own playing ability and forget to make it actually sound good (see intro to Close to the Edge).

but on the whole they're pretty good. Not as good as genesis.

Roundabout is my go to dive bar jukebox song.

That and Hocus Pocus.

SHITTY COUNTERARGUMENT INCOMING:

I stand by my choice of albums. First of all, let me state my problems with your choices. The Yes Album has some highlights, of course, but I don't think it's that engaging of a listen. Songs like Starship Trooper and I've Seen All Good People, while harmless and inoffensive songs, don't showcase all that much emotion. It's just a few fun (albeit somewhat bland and hollow) pop songs, that's all. That's not a bad thing at all, I just don't think it's all that impressive compared to my choices. Fragile, which is, in my opinion, a huge step up from TYA, unfortunately suffers from Ummagumma syndrome (a bunch of songs made by individual members of the band = a whole bunch of filler), though Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Long Distance Runaround, and Heart of the Sunrise all range from good to great. I can see why you'd think TFTO is bloated, but to me it isn't hollow at all. In fact, all four songs show a great amount of emotion, more so that Close to the Edge at some points. Just listen to Ritual to see what I'm talking about. The last few minutes of that song captures just as much emotion as that CTTE intro. The atmosphere Tales captures is, in my opinion, very distinct. I haven't heard anything like it; it's like listening to an adventure. The opposite of what I said before applies to Relayer. I can see how you'd think it's hollow, but I can't understand how you'd think it to be bloated. Overall, I just think it's an enjoyable prog album. Sound Chaser in particular is a highlight. Close to the Edge is best out of all of them, though.

>The last few minutes of that song captures just as much emotion as that CTTE intro.
This is part of my problem with it, the album bloats as having as much importance or more than Close to the Edge but when you really look at what the composition is doing it's very thin. Part of what was amazing about Close to the Edge was how it achieved so much on a musical level while never overstating itself. The album reaches incredible peaks, but there's always a feeling that they're holding back. Tales is the exact opposite, it tries to floor you with four twenty minute tracks but never reaches the same impact that Close to the Edge had in three. Also on Tales the compositions feel meandering and never really have that driving force and tension as Close to the Edge, and sometimes one musical passage will feel like it's leading you somewhere but it really isn't. With Close to the Edge, there's a sense of urgency following the middle section, and the whole piece finally comes together under sixty seconds with the final verse in a way that feels almost otherworldly, but it also feels very tangible and organic. Tales completely lacks this raw energy, it grasps at ideas that seem beyond what they were actually capable of pulling off, and they spread themselves thin. Had they focused their energy on something more grounded they could have made a great followup with Wakeman still in the band, but Tales is like watching someone try to do a crazy stunt on a skateboard and fall on their ass. Relayer, even though it still sounds somewhat disengaged, would have been a more fitting followup to Close to the Edge in my opinion. The intro to Gates of Delirium actually sounds kind of like the intro on Close to the Edge glitched out and made really icy. The album also sounds kind of confused but in a way that I think works on some level.

You forgot Open Your Eyes but most would prefer to forget that one exists