Frank Zappa

I'm giving in to the Zappa!
I just started listening to Zappa and I'll try to listen to his whole discography and projects.
So far I've listened to the first two Mothers of Invention albums and they're kind of meh imo.
What is your opinion on Frank Zappa?
Have you listened to his full discography?
What should I expect?
How long will it take me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa_discography

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nUja5B8ei2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

poo poo jazz man

Listen to Hot Rats and Freak Out!

I listened to Hot Rats two weeks ago or something and I liked it but now I'll listen to everything in chronological order

He's been my favorite artist for years, and I haven't even come close to listening to everything he recorded. It's gonna take you a long time to listen to everything, and i'll be the first to admit that certain portions of his discography are absolute shit. Listen to the famous albums first, and if you like them, you can probably dive a bit deeper.

My favorites:
>We're Only in it for the Money
>Burnt Weeny Sandwich
>The Grand Wazoo
>Apostrophe
>Roxy and Elsewhere
>You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2
>Joe's Garage Act III

Such a great artist, shame he died so young.

Also you should probably give Absolutely Free another listen since it's definitely a grower. It sounds kinda sloppy at first, but everything coalesces after a couple listens. The opening suite and Brown Shoes Don't Make It are both major highlights of his 60s output.

it's too late, I'm focused on doing it now.
I know I like some random songs of him all over the discography
I've seen some interviews of him and he sure was talented and knew a lot about sounds, I'm intrigued

I like The Mothers of Invention and his jazz fusion albums. His later comedy rock shit doesn't really do it for me.

Ok best of luck then. I hope to have the dedication to do this someday.

I've listened to it 2 times now, I'm enjoying the last few tracks a bit

based on what I've listened mother of invention are kind of comedy as well, at least I giggled a couple times listening to them so far for it's silliness

by the way, this is my favorite track that I know by him, I discovered it in a movie called "Y tu mama tambien"

youtube.com/watch?v=nUja5B8ei2U

I have been making my way through his discography based on his wikipedia. I'm on Guitar.

Only album I wasn't crazy about was Thing Fish.

Zappa is god.

holy shit dude, for how long?

they are comedy, but it was more satire

later Zappa humor was more crude which may or may not be your thing.

Definitely have to check out him live.

Any live videos from '73 are really good
And listen to the live album Roxy & Elsewhere

PLEASE GOD LISTEN TO FUCKING APOSTROPHE. HOT RATS AND JOE'S GARAGE ARE BOTH SHIT JUST LISTEN TO APOSTROPHE PLEASE

I'm going to listen to hot rats and joe's garage even harder now

>don't eat the yellow snow xD

Apostrophe sucks dick.

the song America Drinks from Absolutely Free goes from groovy jazz rock to pokemon battle real fucking quick

Don't skip the live albums

I'm now on Lummy Gravy and I'm enjoying it but I don't get what he was trying with it.

I won't

The best place to start with Zappa IMO is One Size Fits All. Great album, his most accessible probably, and gives you a good idea of what he's all about.

you must have a shitty life if this is your dedication

>no Inca Roads

what's your fucking problem

yes

this is one of his most famous dirtbag

what do you want me to say mane? I'm just starting to get into his music

I would recommend listening in chronological order, to see how he evolved,.

Also, when you hit the 80s, you've been prepared and it won't be so bad.

u rite u rite

>I will love the police as they kick the shit out of me on the street

kekd, zappa is a funny dude