Hey Sup Forums

hey Sup Forums

what would be the most sure and fastest way to ruin/completely erase the contents/destroy a HDD?

like, when you have the police knocking on your door

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10865687
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Magnets

Don't download CP and no need for police to knock at your door?

Detonating a nuclear warhead should be fine.
Otherwise just encrypt your disk properly and just pull the power plug.

what the fuck did you do

Run a magnet over it a few times, if you dont have one buy some with cash not credit

Microwave

big ass magnets
neodymium magnet preferably..

Post everything on it here then just fucking blow it up

I meant to say industrial grade magnets

Agree.

get yourself one of them electic cpr heart paddle things put on hard drive and yell '' CLEAR!!!

check'd

i dont have any cp and have never download. the police thing was just an example, as of how fast i meant, which means like super fast

Just a strong ass magnet and run across it in the same direction

strawpoll.me/10865687
vote

Microwave and some good magnets, electromagnets. If you can get inside of it good hammer the fuck out of the little discs too

Hit it with a hammer really hard

>2016
>not building your computer inside of a microwave for quick evidence disposal

DBAN and then physically pull it and smash it with a mallet, and throw it in a fire.

>Microwave

Totally agree. Gets rid of everything and literally fries it

Thermite

There are certain programs you can download which will write over it a couple thousand times, it is impossible at that point to retrieve original data

thermite

fist-you go to your local market and get aluminum foil
second- drive out to the closest desert and park your car and start walking
third- when you come to the singing bush,turn around 3 times while chanting the star spangled banner
fourth- say the magic word ''assberger'' and walla problem solved hdd is erased

break off the power or sata connector with whatever you have at hand.

/thread

Puncture a hole in it with a screwdriver and hammer. Or use a flathead and crack open the side. Once spec of dust on the platter will make any data unrecoverable. If you want to go nuts with it take all the screws off the top, remove the cover and take out the disks and scratch them.

and how exactly is that quick?

Doesnt matter now a days destroying it will net you just as much time as whatever was on there, even deleting browsing history is punishable by law if you are brought up on charges.

writing over a hard disk takes very little time, it's basically just re-setting all the bits to 0. to do that 1000s of times might only take a couple minutes

A scratched or damaged disc can still be recovered.

no evidence = no conviction

they can't prove you did anything wrong

Microwave.

Not sure if bait or just retarded.

Dust doesn't ruin a platter, it affects the drive itself from function correctly, the platter could be loaded into an external machine and read from there after being cleaned. Damaging the platter by cracking it would be the only way to securely render it unrecoverable.

store your sensible data on a hidden container, store plausible data on the outer volume

Suspicion+no evidence = evidence tampering conviction

Not really
Modern hdds are pretty magnet resistant. U would need a strong electro magnet and complete remove the casing and accsess the disk directly.

Even a strong neodym magnet from the outside doesnt do anything

I think fastest and easiest is a screwdirver + hammer and just crack it open and then keep smashing holes into the disk and bend it a lot and break it apart. Ideal woupd be removal of the disk and then shredd it

You're retarded and no it cannot be.

Hmmmm maybe trhowing it in the ocean/river?

Take the board off, snap it into many pieces. Give it a couple hard wacks and you should be good. The only way for them to access your hard drive without the board is to somewhere get another hard drive with the same exact serial number, size, type as yours. Which is not an easy task. Safe measures is get a ridiculously strong magnet and use that. Not any magnet will do. You need a really strong one

Evidence of what

like I said, scratch the disk.

Like the WMD in Iraq, oh wait...

Thats why when you get rid of a hard drive you should have a second one loaded with crap in hand so you can replace it

Throwing*... fucking h

Roll with SSDs, when shit gets real
run internal (secure) erase,

in 5 seconds all data is lost forever.
also you can use it again after

>Does nothing to destroy data

download File Shredder, change to DoD algorithm, then just delete whatever folder or files you need to delete.

or if you have an SSD just use Secure Erase.

It's called a defibrillator, faggot.

You mean hours...

kek'd

Scratching doesn't render it all unreadable, there will often still be a fair bit readable, best to send a nail through it and break the controller board as well.

Put a sticky note on it that says illegal activity free hdd

Microwave

Steganography + no suspicious behaviour. No need for the techs to go electron microscope-ing on your platter if there's nothing otherwise bait in your private life.

On suspicion of an offence, however, there aren't many surefire ways to totally erase a platter in such a manner that no data fragments can be recovered. It only takes fragments to convict on CP.

Take a screwdriver, scratch your disk, then send it along with a few thousand dollars to a disk recovery service (Seagate, Kroll Ontracl..) and be surprised what is recoverable.

alo PDI

nah office furniture fire would be enough

Your question should have been: what alternative is there to a HDD. In which case you'd use Tails on a ram drive.

Yeh but thermite is quick, if they get it out the fire in time they can still recover.

Microwave + hand drill

Ah. Yes. Forgive us for questioning the merits of "tech dirt."

System32 deletion

hope its not a solid state drive... even with TRIM enabled, you're still fucked.

microwave

One pass of pseudorandom is enough.

Fuck it up with a drill and hammer flush pieces down the shitter

That's so fucked

hidden encrypted nas that is not discoverable, hide it in the wall/under the house.

And the other thousands of related articles on the matter

I know dude who wipes disks. Ask for Mike 8558355324

i dont care what its called you dumbass nigger..
now go play in heavy traffic,,you dumb fuck

A DoD level overwrite is superior to most physical damage.

Busted HDD are Magnetically shielded Microwaves will fuck up the board but they are fairly easy to replace.

Depends on the HDD If you get a Hitachi HDD for your iffy stuff a sharp smack with a hammer will shatter the glass platters.

If it isnt a Hitachi Thermite Will do the Trick

haha omg, I feel sorry for you murrifags

>using Tails
>directly linking to the NSA

how's that working out for you?

hey mr. tinfoil hat

Backup thermite. Seriously.

just grab a gun from your hip and shoot a hole through it. don't all americans have guns on them 24/7?

I have recovered data from a drive with a hole shot in it.

I told you not to use my real name you little cunt

here's the real solution fags: instead of wasting time bringing the electro magnets near your HDD's (which probably are inside your case = removing case = time).. and remember a no nock raid you don't have time for nothing. instead do this: setup your case in a way so that you can easily pull your sensitive drives in seconds, then throw it out of your apartment into a neighbor's home. I have a simple rectangular pvc pipe that goes from my window into my friends apt in seconds. The key is to send the HD where they don't have a warrant for. This may sound a bit complex but it is worth to set it up. No warrant no search no jail.

Genius!

don't listen to those saying magnets, it won't do shit in the case. If you have an hdd, undo the case and damage the platter. ssd you just need to completely smash it. Better still just encrypt the data. Be sure to use a deniable encryption method so if the police ask for the password you can give them the fake one and all your files will look clean

Hey regard if they see your retarded ass sending out your hdd to someone else they can just go fucking get it, probable cause

forgot to mention... make sure you can detach the pipe easily right after throwing the out... I have hinges on my friends window and none on mine... I trhow HD push the pipe and there's no way cops ever know what I did.

/thread

nope, they can't enter another property without a warrant.

Magnets, Mr Anonymouse

If you think you are going to need to destroy the data in a hurry get a HGST Drive the platters are made of glass so hitting them hard with a hammer will shater all the platers.

Make a sandwich: Thermite on top, hard drive in the middle, explosives on the bottom, all encased in a metal box.
The frag could kill you or maim you, the explosion could make you deaf or blind, the spray of burning thermite could ignite everything, but your data will be irrecoverable.

Send them to Hillary Clinton

Tick

We live in times of modern communication.
I dont know where you live, but in most places of the world the police will just call their boss, he will call a judge and he will give it his okay.

If they have a good cause, like they fucking see you throw shit into the building they have the permission to search it within like 5 minutes

Magnets worked on floppy drives back in the day, but won't work on sealed hard drives.

Destroying it isn't really an option if you only have seconds. Your best bet would be to use a good encryption software.

But if the files you're hiding came from the internet, chances are good they already know what you did. It's too late.

>crack it open and then keep smashing holes into the disk and bend it a lot and break it apart. Ideal woupd be removal of the disk and then shredd it

you've never actually opened a hdd i see. those disk are hard as fuck,yes you can bend them, but only once and even then its hard work. Scratching hard and fast with a brillo pad or some sort of steel wool would be the only effective method, and even then most hdd had multiple platters which you woulnd't have time to seperate if cops were knocking.

op, dont do dumb shit on your computer

Nuke it then unscrew it and smash the discs with an hammer.

Just using the hammer would probably be safe as well.

Recycling companies use crushers to destroy HDDs