The country's name is the Netherlands

>the country's name is the Netherlands
>it's widely called Holland
>it's people are "dutch"
>even though the real "Dutchland" is Germany

how can a language fuck up a country's nomenclature that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

heraldscotland.com/opinion/13068618.When_Scots_abroad_have_to_bear_the_cross_of_being_English/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>the country's name is Argentina
>it's widely called Africa
>it's people are "white"
>even though the real. 'Whiteland" is Iceland

you tell me boss

not to mention their national color is orange but its not even on their flag

>even though the real "Dutchland" is Germany
what did he meant by this?

>the country's name is the United States of America
>it's widely called New Mexico
>it's people are 60% white hispanics
>even though the real ''Hispanics'' are not in the US or Mexico

you tell me Hombre.

>Deutschland

that's literally Germany's name in german.
and they call themselves and their language "Deutsch".

i know that fa m, ich sprache Deutsch.
Deutsch and Dutch are two whole different things.

>ich sprache

yup, perfectly so, I can see that.

>ich sprache
>Deutsch and Dutch are two whole different things

I don't think you know what you're talking about though

el bumpo

>the countries called Brazil
>it's widely called Aishithole
>it's people are monkeys
>even though monkeyland is a stupid name

Not to mention they were a Spanish colony.

don't be rude, it's rare there's a stupid thread not started by an American

if we can get other countries to make uninformed posts rooted in ignorance maybe we'll get some respect back

Dutch and Deutsch are etymolgically identical famm

doitchlund

We called ourselves Duits/duytsch/diets well into the latter half of the last century.

A lot of Dutch people call their country Holland. Especially in English because it sounds nicer or something. Contrary to popular belief, very few people actually get butthurt if you call the Netherlands Holland. The only people who do get butthurt is a vocal minority of provincial spergos.

>uninformed posts rooted in ignorance
how do you mean?

If english wasn't so lexically cucked, english speakers would call Germany 'Thedshland'.

If it weren't PC not to, we'd call them what they really are; a buncha nazis

>provincial
You know you Hollanders are a minority.

¡Países Bajos!

>image reveals it's legit
Topkek

kek

>the country's name Hollanti
>someone from Hollanti is a hollantilainen
>hollantilainen speaks hollanti
Perfectly clean and logical.

English is a retarded baby language. More at 10.

Holland
Hollænder
Hollandsk

Nederland (The Netherlands)
Nederlands (Dutch)
Nederlanders (Dutchmen)
Het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (The Kingdom of the Netherlands)

VMBO in aktie.

Excuseer?

>Holland
>a country
Do you Finns also call the USA Texas?

Now this is really pissing me off.

English is not special in its incongruity; just because our language has a rich literary tradition going back to the 1300s and arose as a love child between West Germanic and Gallo-Romance doesn't make our language "retarded".

The reason so many of your languages are phonetic and logical is because they weren't standardised (because no one wrote with them) until the 1800s and shit.

English has been a literary language since Chaucer, so we have a lot of vestigial characteristics, and we have a plethora of irregular nouns and verbs because our language wasn't crafted by some 19th century nationalist linguist.

So screw us for having an organic and literarily rich language, right?

Nope, Usa. As in not U S A, just Usa.
And Usa citizen is called a jenkki.

No, Dutch has regular international language reforms.

Alankomaat poikaseni.

I even experienced two in school. In 1995 and 2006.

>going to school for 11 years

You stopped going to school after elementary?

No. English is fucking retarded.
>i'm a Dutchman living in Holland and my language is Dutch

How do you even make it up?

I was memeing about how shit the french school system is, think of it as a post-ironic meme
Actually, I think school in france lasts 11 years

Pannekoek

In Polish the country is called Holandia, the language is holenderski and the people are holendrzy.

That doesn't contradict what he said and actually it qualifies it.

>the country's name is the Suomi
>it's widely called Mongolia
>it's people are "finns"
>even though the real "finland" is Perkele

Elementary is optional, but max 2 years.
Primary here is 8 years.
Secondary is 4 to 6 years (longer for smarter kids).
University and professional education is 4 year.

You need to be 18 or have a start qualification before you can stop studying here. Which means dumb kids must have started a professional education. And smarter kids can stop after high school.
But people below 23 without studying or having a professional degree will be harassed by the government.

>The reason so many of your languages are phonetic and logical is because they weren't standardised (because no one wrote with them) until the 1800s and shit.

Funny coming from the cunt who got fucked by mongols.

color me sourprised

French government encourages people to become niggers and go breed instead of going to school

If you don't study until 18 here you can be prosecuted.
And your parents can get their welfare stopped and even go to prison.

If you don't study from 4 to 18 here you can be prosecuted.
And your parents can get their welfare stopped (incl child benefits) and even go to prison.

Here it's 5 to 16; schooling is compulsory for all residents between ages 5 to 16. By default you're required by law for your child to attend the school in your school district, or have them accepted at another school.

You're allowed to homeschool your child from grades 1-8 as long as they pass standardised exams. If not, they have to attend a real school.

Holanda (the country)
Holandéses (the people)
Holandés (the language)

or

Paises Bajos (the country)
Neerlandeses (the people)
Neerlandés (the language)

>or

the transition is not easy my friend, there's a shitload of people using the Holanda thingy which is being taught as wrong but, again, it takes time.

Olandija (Holland)
Olandas/Olandai (Hollander, Hollanders)
Olandų kalba (Hollandian language)

We also call it Nyderlandai but there is no word for person from such place. If you even try to write Nyderlantietis (that would be the word if it existed) into Google, search fails because of no results.

Like 4 years ago I was still confused what the difference is between Netherlands and Holland and how is Holladian language called in English.

But Russia conquered land from the mongols.

How did this """"Holland"""" thing even started? My father says that it is because back when we were relevant the ships departed from the provinces of south and north Holland, and when they arrived somewhere they would tell that they were from Holland because the provinces were not fully united. But why don't we see this with other countries?

Holland is a synecdoche, to describe whole Netherlands because of how it was important historically and because of its economical development until industrial revolution.

Man, Old Zealand is such a weird country.

people call the country "Uruguay" even though it's a river and the country has literally no name.

>Deutsch and Dutch are two whole different things.
Not really, they came from more or less the same core (Diets).

If English followed the same logic as those two languages, than Germany would be Dutchland: the land of Dutchspeaking Dutch. The Netherlands would be the Netherlands: the land of the Netherlandish speaking Netherlanders.

> the provinces of south and north Holland,
Quit it with that shit, Aquafresh. Historically Holland was a single county, North/South is modern distinction because it's so BIG.

You're dad is half right, but you forget too about the Randstadt; Holland really is most of your country; almost half of you Clogwogs DO live in Holland.

Similar to how, colloquially, the UK as a whole is often times referred to as "England", or even Bosnia Herzegovina being refered to simply as "Bosnia".

90% of the time foreigners interacted with a Dutchman, it was a Hollander, not a Frisian, or a Gueldrian, or Limbuerger, or whatever else the fuck.

That is why we call your country, most of the time, "Holland". We don't care about the other provinces. Holland is the one we know.

the UK is never referred to as England.
it might be referred to as Britain, or """Great""" Britain but not England.

>That is why we call your country, most of the time, "Holland". We don't care about the other provinces. Holland is the one we know.
Even the official website dedicated to our tourism, created by Dutchmen, is called... holland.com!

>Similar to how, colloquially, the UK as a whole is often times referred to as "England", or even Bosnia Herzegovina being refered to simply as "Bosnia".
True dat.

Comment my post you faggot

>the UK is never referred to as England.
It is, all the fucking time. In fact, in the 19th and 20th century Scots that travelled abroad would refer to themselves as English to avoid confusion.

heraldscotland.com/opinion/13068618.When_Scots_abroad_have_to_bear_the_cross_of_being_English/

Here's even a Scottish article about the resentment being called English creates. In the eyes of everyone not from Britain, they're just North-England.

>holland.com
Yeah because the fucking world is calling us that. theNetherlands.com isn't even working.

>Yeah because the fucking world is calling us that
And now we started doing out ourselves. Even the Flemish can't help but whine about "ollanders" and out of all the foreigners in the world they're the ones who should know better.

>Similar to how, colloquially, the UK as a whole is often times referred to as "England", or even Bosnia Herzegovina being refered to simply as "Bosnia".
This, it's just a figure of speech which is more widespread than just Netherlands. When we refer to UK we also just call it Anglija.
Like I said, it's just this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

It really depends where the person saying it is from. When most people here call UK Anglija, it tends to translate into English and they call it England or just UK.
This figure of speech is old as time itself and has no language boundaries.

From that same wiki page, there is an example. Calling your car wheels, transmission a stick or United States Department of Defense 'The Pentagon'.

It is actually very similar to how people call USA 'America'.

>Even the Flemish can't help but whine about "ollanders"
I always thought they were talking about the provinces.

Niederlande/Holland
Niederländer/Holländer
Niederländisch/Holländisch