Guys, what's up with my dogs eye? He had a hair stuck in it and I kept trying to get it out, now it looks like this...

Guys, what's up with my dogs eye? He had a hair stuck in it and I kept trying to get it out, now it looks like this. The film is cataracts, he's has that for a while. The things that's worrying the is the line in the middle. He's not blind in that eye, I tested it. Anyone know what it is? I've had him for over a decade, he's pretty old if it helps.

Other urls found in this thread:

vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Clients/forms/cataract_surgery.cfm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks like a constellation

Likely a lens capsule tear, if he's old the capsule is weak and if you were poking at it to get a hair out that could have been the last push so to speak.

Take to vet, but if so there's not much you can do. Will obscure vision to the point where you can really only tell lights vs darks and not make out any objects, but shouldn't lead to any further, non-vision related issues.

So he'll be technically blind in one eye? The other eye will be fine? Would he whimper or show pain if you're right?

Better take him to the vet, either way it isn't the worst case if he goes blind in one eye. Worst case is if his eye gets infected and he loses it all together. It could also carry over to the other eye then he could be all blind then if he loses both eyes he'll be maximum blind. So get him to the dog doctor.

Should add sauce, I worked in a ophthalmology operating room for a while

Yea. The lens in mammals eyes (dogs included obvi) is suspended in a little thin sack that can tear from trauma, age, or a mixture. The lens will be free floating, but since there are no nerves connected will not cause any pain. Though without incoming light focused, it'll basically be like looking at the world through stain glass with that eye. That said, just to be sure take to vet because there is a small chance of retinablastoma or something else.

Op bump

It looks kinda small for a lens capsule tear don't you think?

I was thinking could be a floater from part of the sack and the lens has fallen back
Also pic is hardly super focused or detailed.

Would he flinch if I covered his good eye and pretended to hit him? Because that's the blind test I used

Sorry my dog is fidgety and I used phone camera

To begin with dogs have pretty poor eyesight. Could be just the sound, but even with the stain glass metaphor I gave you'd still expect to see some vague blob coming at you which would make you react.

Shit. I got to take him to the vet tomorrow.

Are there any more pics I can provide for better info or something like that?

Ya, not gonna be a fix for it unless you got a chunk of change to drop, but (hopefully) if it's what I think it is it should not lead to any future issues. If something something gets stuck in its other eye (or if anyone else reading ever has the same situation) use eyedrops (just your standard over the counter ones will be fine), never make physical contact with the eye.
Good luck man

Aww shit. How much about? In the thousands?

Not really man, I'd need some oculars and a light to peek in to tell much more. Honestly the pic doesn't help, its just the situation I'm basing my guess on.

vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Clients/forms/cataract_surgery.cfm

3.5k there, but if capsule tear could require some additional cleaning so could go up to say 5k. If your dog's other eye works fine, I'd not say it's worth it, brains adapt quick and he'll probably start to mentally block out the image from that eye (if he hasnt already from the existing cataract).

Well fuck. He's gonna die from age soon anyways, i ain't dropping that money on him.

Ya, I'd say that's the best course if you aren't rolling in cash. Well hope I was of help, imma turn in now.

Thanks for all the help, night.

funnily enough I'm studying animal biology and veterinary science. I'm no expert (only been doing it 2 years)

in my opinion it could be as mentioned above. But there are also be a few things which essentially all have the same symptom;

Glaucoma
Cataract (essentially early stages)
or just an infection from you fucking around with your dogs eye....

if this happened white you were fucking around and your dog didn't show an signs of discomfort - that could be worrying as it would be an inner-eye injury. If it did show discomfort it means it was outer eye and in the 'nerve' zone...

again I'm no expert

How bad is glaucoma/ an infection? He already has cataracts.