What went wrong?

What went wrong?

nothing went wrong. he was never good to being with.

ayy lmao

everything

I unironically believe the rumor about him not actually producing his debut.

ok kid

18+

trap music.

Suppose he also surrounded himself with EDM bullshit and lost that creativity and energy that set him apart from everybody else.

me too it just makes sense

which? i definitely think noisia or someone gave him a bunch of kits for the really robot sounding synth he got known for, and the laptop that got stolen having all those on it

This one basically.

>Most of the best electronic artists are the neetest of neets, but zero public outreach means zero publicity.
Mau5trap wanted a posterboy to represent the "emerging" genre of dubstep, and Skrillex was supposed to represent the label and genre as a whole. To that end, the debut album was a group effort. Noisia, some talented autists from the netherlands, gave him new tools and programs to stretch his annoying sound to those deep, roaring bass lines, Bare Noize turned his shitcrank half-pop rhythm into proper breakbeat, and Foreign Beggars practically GAVE him their synth leads, and even performed on a couple tracks.

>Supposedly, he copied the masters and put them through FL studio to add voice clips, no I'm not joking, before leaking a taste that got him attention, without ever mentioning anyone else that had basically built it for him from the ground up.
He exploded on social media and interviews talking about how badass he was, how he's done something no one else had done, etc etc. Mau5trap was pissed, and his response was "You wanted me to be a star" and that he would give them credit after it was released completely. As a compromise he gave his FL ran copies back to a few of them to make remixes to tack on the end of the album before release.

>He took full credit, never even acknowledged the remixes. Mau5trap booted him out, so he was left with all the technology they gave him but NO CLUE how to use ANY of it, so he keeps using FL Studio to try and morph clips from Scary Monsters to try and cling to a sound that never belonged to him.

I am a greentext legend. Sorry for the messed up reply...

source?
Doesn't sound legit considering that mau5trap didn't boot him out. His old label found some contract loophole or some bullshit and he ended up going back with them for a while.

this

Ok post proof of any of that

It has a stupid ass album cover that looks like it's made for babies.

Ragga Bomb is hype af desu senpai

I saved it from a thread a while back, no source. I know it's sketchy - it's probably far from accurate. But some parts of it I'm almost sure are true: being signed as a poster boy, receiving kits and massive writing assistance from other artists on the label, and being unable to recreate the sound without their guidance (or even - without the files on the stolen laptop. Really funny if that happend).

Actually the more I think about this, the more it sounds like complete bullshit.
I already mentioned that he wasn't booted from mau5trap as is described, but there's more.
His follow-ups have the same type of sounds and even some shit on the album he eventually released.
Also the story deadmau5 has given about meeing him, where skrillex gave his the completed or almost completed Scary Monsters EP on a USB. Plus can you even imagine deadmau5 letting somebody pull that shit? He'd probably call him out himself.
Mau5trap wanting a posterboy doesn't sound like something they'd do. They usually sign somebody fairly unknown, causing them to build up a following there and then they'll leave. Nobody really sticks around on that label. It essentially just acts as Joel spotlighting people with tiny followings. Though considering Joel made some brostep influenced shit around the time, perhaps I'm wrong on this.
Point is that I don't buy this at all. It seems like complete bullshit
Perhaps he made some synth sounds with some other people but that's probably as far as it goes if this has any truth in it at all.

diplo

Skrillex conspiracy theories are unironically my favorite thing in EDM

nice fantasy but completely false.

noisia did in fact help sonny moore develop his synthesis chops, but his signature growl sound was his and his alone. He took many concepts and brought them together to create it, from simple formant EQ modulation, to the very basics of re sampling.

He is actually a very competent and well versed musician/producer. I've seen him work, been around many others who mentored him, from John Dadzie, to the main dudes themself, Noisia.

The reason his later work avoids this is because he's attempted to step away from this sound in a very smart move to grow. He was the foundation for the americanized dubstep movement, as jauz is the foundation for the dubstep garage hybrid that is "deep house" today.

It all went wrong after the Damien Marley collab.

It would have been cool to see him fuse IDM with brostep or to try producing less wall of sound shit and go with a more minimal sound.

The majority of his shit is mediocre normie core, I just wish he would try something risky instead of just appeasing his fans.

As I said, the specific narrative this text suggests is probably made up. Seems to me like Mau5 and the others that were mentioned don't view Skrillex as a villain or a traitor of any sort. Plus, as you said, the real reason for his label change is known already. His follow-ups definitely do not have the same sound - that's the main reason this theory makes sense to me. Of course he threw some basslines from Scary Monsters on his boring edm tracks, he wasn't going to abandon the shtick that got him famous, but going from the virtuosity of his debut to the washed up, tryhard 'bass drops' on his later work just doesn't have any other explanation.
Beyond that: it's hard to tell how (and if) any of that went down. Joel would obviously never admit it, but in the very least Skrillex got babysitted through the making of the album - if nothing sketchier.

So how comes his current work isn't just poorly written, but poorly produced? No man who controls sound as efficiently as on Scary Ghosts would make his current work, which sounds like he just throws in the default of whatever he torrents.

Clearly dealing with someone who doesn't understand what he's saying

On what level is it "poor"?

In terms of mixing, mastering, and overall polish, his newer work is x10 better than anything on Scary Monsters. This is undeniable, as a matter of fact he's widely regarded as one of the few producers in EDM that can destroy dynamics yet preserve transient quality, max loudness, no mud. Second only to Noisia.

When it comes to sound design, his influence on the industry as a whole is apparent, during the scary monsters days, the only option out there to replicate his sound was by following the same steps he did, which were extremely tedious. A demand grew for a simpler FM synthesizer, or a wave table synth with a higher degree of flexibility, hence the origin of Serum. Skrillex is obviously still capable of creating these sounds, you hear dashes and hints of it throughout the album and his recent work, not only that, but despite the "simplistic" sound of his more modern iterations, they still require a technical know-how no different than that of an expert level producer. The reason you don't hear giant growl expositions anymore, is simple, they're just not popular, he's following a new sound with his dubstep, the sound of trollphace, the sound of riddim.

Unless you plan on contributing anything that isn't mindless speculation I suggest you stop now and think long and hard as why you're so keen on spreading largely false stories of something you don't understand.