G'mornin' Sup Forums

g'mornin' Sup Forums
Ask a guy who got got diagnosed with Schizophrenia yesterday afternoon anything you want.

How do I look?

Where did you leave your quetiapin? (Seroquel)

Irish.
I don't take anti-psychotics.

have you heard the taps on your window yet?

What was the key for the diagnosis?

Actually, yes, I have.
It can be pretty spooky sometimes, especially if I'm laying in bed, as it's right next to my window.
delusional thinking patterns, I often feel like I can read peoples mind, and mentioned several I felt like the psychiatrist was putting his thoughts in my head.

How are you sure you didn't hallucinate being diagnosed?

And do you check yourself when you have those thoughts or is it getting past that point? I'm asking because I've had those intrusive thoughts for a long time but I've always subsequently been able to dismiss them.

Except one time I thought I could hear electrical interference and when I started weaving a theory that it was due to an alien implant

Because he doesn't get his information about mental disorders from daytime TV if I had to guess.

Because I'm not retarded.
Also: I don't really suffer from visual hallucinations apart from the occasional floating light.

>And do you check yourself when you have those thoughts

Not really, I'm aware that what I'm thinking is likely not true, but it's much more enjoyable to indulge myself in my thoughts than to push them aside.

I tend not to act on them, especially in bigger groups, like at parties and such.

Do you sleep well at night? I've heard many schizophrenics also suffer from insomnia?

No, I sleep terribly about 70% of the time. For instance yesterday (afternoon) I slept about 4 hours it took me 3 hours to get to sleep, and I woke up about 3 times in the 4 hour period. (from 11PM, when I fell asleep to about 5pm) It usually takes me about an hour to fall asleep.

I guess I phrased it poorly.

If you know that you're indulging them and don't act, that's what I meant. When you think that someone is planting thoughts in your head, and you say it out loud, do you feel that weird disconnected feeling, like you know it's not true, but for some reason you are ambivalent about it instead of agreeing or disagreeing?

At random points of the day I get the feeling that something is coming to kill me along with other stuff,what would be your advice

I have that weird disconnected feeling about almost everything, myself included.

I generally don't tell the person whom I believe to be implanting their thoughts that I believe it. But I do contemplate it inside I know (usually) that what I'm thinking isn't true, but I have this feeling that just doesn't go away that it can't be false.

what kind of music do you listen to. and are there specific songs/genres you avoid due to your condition

Let your thoughts be thoughts, there isn't a whole lot you can do about intrusive thoughts without medication, other than just deal with them, and realize what they are.

If you're worried take a minute and scan your surroundings to assure yourself that nothing bad is going to happen. Don't focus on the little things, it will only make it worse.

I like just about all music, except for fucking country music I can't stand that whiney "muh tractor, muh grillfriend dumped me, muh big ol' truck" bullshit.
My favorite genre would be anything electronic, or instrumental.
I don't really avoid anything (except the aforementioned), but I do often misinterpret lyrics to mean something else.

bermp

C'mon someone has to have a question
I'm bored out of my fucking mind, and I have nothing better to do.

Last bump

what IS your schizo?
is it like... a noise a voice? what?

What do they have you taking?
Hope you get better.

>what IS your schizo?
What do you mean, can you reword that question?
I was recommended to take some anti-psychotics, but I refused, much to the dismay of the psychiatrist.

>Hope you get better.
Unlikely, but thanks for the gesture.

Like for example, a friend of mine that has schizo hears a noise kinda like a beat
I have a full blown personality in which I talk to
what do you have

Interdasting...... OP does it run in your family? Ie either diagnosed or stories about undiagnosed rellies that now make much more sense? And please, if so, do elaborate

why do you refuse to take medicine?

I have mostly auditory hallucinations, I almost always hear music in my head, voices of people whom may, or may not exist that I converse with about random topics. Things of that nature.
No one that I know of in my family has been diagnosed with it, but I am pretty disconnected from a lot of my family. Though, my mother and grandmother appear to suffer from some sort of mental issues. My mother is a germaphobe, and has to disinfect her hands any time she touches anything at all, and suffers from anxieties. My grandmother has completely withdrawn from the outside world and barely leaves her house anymore, much like myself.

how do you earn a living?

Thanks OP, ya cunt. Very interesting. Good luck with it all - btw how old are you?

There isn't much point, taking medicine won't cure it. It will only mask the symptoms, which I don't mind.

SSI, I'm physically unable to work, as I have spina bifida.

Do you remember a time before your mind worked this way? Assuming it's early-adulthood late onset schizophrenia, anyway...

Do you look back on being 15 and wish desperately that there was a way to get back to having a healthy grip on reality? Or have you made peace with it?

my ex has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and she refuses to take her meds, but she also refuses to admit that she even has a problem, so she ends up being hospitalized every few months when she has an episode due to high stress, controlling her symptoms is better than destroying her family, not applicable in your situation i understand, just sharing

Is it gay to like traps?

No problemo, ya fucko, I'm 24.

I've always been kind of an oddball, but when I Was younger it was much less severe. I remember it, but it's like a fuzzy image. I know I was different, but it's like someone explaining their past to me, rather than me looking at my own past.
I've come to terms with it, I've never really been one to dwell on what could have been or anything like that.
That's unfortunate, sounds like she has it really rough.

OP, seriously, thanks for doing the AMA. Were there any environmental factors in your childhood that you at least think contributed/triggered? For ex dodgy pollution, a concussion, or whatevers?

I admire your propensity for self-acceptance. Hang tough

Here I made you a flowchart.
>OP, seriously, thanks for doing the AMA
sure thing friendo.
When I was young I managed to bust my head open twice (within a 3 week period too). May or may not have contributed, I also have Scoliosis, and Spina Bifida, but other than that, no.
People always say that like I'm doing something special, I've never really understood that. but thanks.

How severe is it?
How old are you?
How has it affected your life?

Schizophrenia runs in my family and there is a good chance I will be developing it soon too.

mid/late onset, it can be pretty bad to where I think I can feel other peoples emotions, hear noises that aren't existent and converse with "people" inside my head about nonsensical topics. But apart from that it isn't bad.
I'm 24, it hasn't really changed much of what I do or how I function in social settings. I tend to avoid most of those types of scenarios, but I always have.

If you're worried about developing it, see a psychologist, at the very least you'll have peace of mind.

how are you able to differentiate what you can do and what are symptoms of your disease?

if you are unable to work what do you do with your life

are you just floating by or what

Take sleeping pills

>are you just floating by or what
Pretty much, I live in a shit town with a population of 1500, I occasionally hang out with the local druggies, play vidya. I plan on returning to college next year though. We'll see how that goes though.
It can be difficult in the moment to differentiate, it's mostly looking back and realizing there's no way that my perception on the scenario was "real". Or if I'm with someone I trust I'll talk to them about it and see what they think.
I tend to avoid all medication.

I'm also diagnosed with scz. to me the idea of other people putting thoughts in ones head isn't unreasonable. Not wanting to make things worse but I don't take the docs opinions as gospel.

it just sounds like you dont know your own brain very well, the "people" are yourself, tame that shit.

Clearly the people are me, I'm fully aware of that.
>it just sounds like you dont know your own brain very well
That's literally the definition of Schizophrenia, user.

I think I have a problem with serotonin. Family members have anxienty/depressive. Sometimes I hear violins in radio static and lines wriggle on the ac unit or blinds. I'm pretty sure its serotonin because it reminds me a lot of mushrooms. But have you had anything like that? I've always wondered if it is actually dopamine or something else that's up.

>to me the idea of other people putting thoughts in ones head isn't unreasonable
possible? yes. unreasonable? slightly.
I have a similar issue, yes. If it's too quiet I hear a different assortment of instruments. For instance if it's completely silent in my house I can't sleep because the noise in my head is too loud, be it music or just straight up voices or just random sounds. I've never heard static though.

bumpity bumperoo

Are you ever compelled to do anything by your voices? Even simple things like responding to an unspecified command like STOP

you used psychodelic?

Occasionally, the worst one I've had was a voice telling me to kill my brother, because he "deserved it for being stupid". I can generally disregard what they say though. Most of them are pretty innocent and don't make requests, only converse.
No, I've only ever done weed and coke

Did you get diagnosed with schizophreniform 6 months prior, or did you just get diagnosed immediately with full schizophrenia.

Also, have you ever done pot? Did it help you with your symptoms?

If you only had the schiz do you think you'd be able to hold a job

>Have you ever done pot?
kek

which person is answering my questions

My only diagnosis was onset schizo.
>Also, have you ever done pot?
Yes, I smoke on occasion, and it varies with my symptoms. Sometimes it can make them drastically worse to where I can't even form meaningful sentences (I'm usually with people when I smoke) and other times it completely negates them. It's pretty strange.
Easily.
I have Schizophrenia, not DID.

Yo what's schizophrenia like? Is it kinda like the mental trip of acid?

>Is it kinda like the mental trip of acid?
I've never done acid, so I'm not sure.

It really depends on the person, for me everything feels kind of disconnected, including my own body. I don't have very many visual hallucinations, and I talk to myself a LOT, sometimes out loud, sometimes in my own head, and sometimes with "other people" in my head.

Bumpobumpyero
There's gotta be more people out there with questions c'mon ya dungos

Last bump before I let it 404

do you play fallout 4? and if so, should i get the shot from tinker tom in the railroad questline?

Is hearing a lot of music in your head a sign of shizofrenia?
I have it I thought it was normal for people to "have a song stuck in your head" seems pretty weird for it not to be normal.
What do you say?

>Anything other than the brotherhood

Does it help when you exercise?

how do you feel about crazy people portrayed in the media?

Having a catchy song get stuck in your head is pretty normal.

But constantly hearing music that changes frequently is not, and could be a sign of early schizophrenia. I myself hear random music

I don't notice any differences when I exercise.
The media misrepresents a lot of things, more so people with mental disorders.
A lot of stigma surrounds a lot of mental disorders for that very reason. Which is very unfortunate.
Also: check'd

thanks for answering the questions man, i appreciate it

Sure thing, friend.

Well, with me it can seem random but its also not canstant. It can get heavier some time but I thibk its normal.
Elvis had it too so do a lot of people.
Just seems so generalised.

Auestion: Does it go away when you take stimulants like coffee, red bull, cocaine or any tyoe of amphetamines?

Does it worsen when you are sleep deprived?

Do you smoke, because nicotine seems to be preferred by shizotypes. And they say it helps.

Have you ever heard other people say something and they actually didnt?

It's a fairly normal thing to have "musical thoughts" instead of just complete silence. The problem comes when you're unable to purge those thoughts in favor of something else. AKA intrusive thoughts.

Caffeine doesn't seem to have an effect on my mental state in that regard, I've not done coke consistently enough, as I've only done it twice, and it was quite some time ago, never done any amphetamines.

>Does it worsen when you are sleep deprived?
Yes, I start having visual hallucinations in about 32 hours, my thoughts become extremely incoherent very quickly and my speech becomes basically jumbled nonsense.

>Do you smoke
I don't smoke tobacco, I don't like the "high" (for lack of a better word) it gives, and it tastes like shit. I do smoke weed and it has varied results on my symptoms sometimes making them worse, sometimes making them better.

>Have you ever heard other people say something and they actually didnt?
Maybe. I've heard someone say something then I bring it up and they deny it, but it usually ends there as no one else is around to confirm or deny what they said.

More on the hearing people say things they didn't:
It's usually hearing someone misspeak, if someone is around they usually can't confirm or deny it because they weren't paying attention.
There have been times where I've been the one in the wrong, and I in fact heard them say something they didn't in fact say. But it's usually just one word.

It's about time for bed, so I'll give one last bump for any stragglers out there.

Which kind of food got you for breakfeast? Your phenomenon doesn't make me scary, but the thoughts to mushrooms.

Okay, I lied, one last bump before I let it 404 and go to bed

I'm eating leftover pizza. What's making you type like that?

Is it bad that I wanna be diagnosed with Schizo?
My psych says I'm fine but I still think I am, I get constant thoughts that there's something wrong with me

>Is it bad that I wanna be diagnosed with Schizo?
Bad? Hm, maybe. Everyone wants to be different though. A lot of people "want" to have some sort of disorder so they can stand out from everyone else more.
It's bad in the sense that Schizo is the worst mental disorder you can get, and you won't recover from it (statistically speaking)

Yeah, that's the weird bit I guess, I wanna just get diagnosed with it so I know I guess, even though I know that having it will fuck me up forever

Same thing with ADHD and Bi-Polar, I'm fucking weird I guess but it's something I've wanted regardless

I mean, I do see/hear shit and I'm always convinced I can see things others can't but my psych says I'm clean still

You're probably fine, most mental disorders require multiple symptoms to be fully diagnosed. Otherwise you just have "traits" of that disorder. Most people hallucinate, it happens from a lot of different causes. It's not necessarily indicative of a disorder by itself.

You sound to be more Histrionic than anything, based on what you've said thus far.