Lossless vs Lossy Music

This is the visual difference between uncompressed and compressed media. Its the same when you listen to lossy music. The compressed file will lose clarity, detail and sound digitally harsh.

>Sup Forums will still defend MP3s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality#
mcelhearn.com/well-crafted-study-shows-listeners-cannot-distinguish-between-cd-quality-and-high-resolution-music-files/
abx.digitalfeed.net/lame.320.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_analogy#False_analogy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the funny thing is that people will fall for this

lol

>using the same image on both sides

very clever OP, but I see your game

you're a funny guy OP

The point of encoding something in v0 is that it is at the point where it is indistinguishable from lossless.

You are so dumb and wrong and I'm not even OP

I know you are OP. No one else is that ignorant about digital signal processing.

Ha, now i see the difference, is on the background, the cat looks the same in the two pictures, and yes, i have some albums in flac, but i can say that with the 99% of albums you won't loose anything that you would care for.

That's bullshit. The quality loss is much less detectable, there aren't such obvious artifacts like that JPEG image on the right.

Watch this video by that dude who was responsable for FLAC and OGG: youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

Ha ha, good one! This is exactly the difference between lossless and a well encoded lossy file, e.g. between FLAC and MP3. The lossy file is much smaller, but all the important data is still there and you have to look really hard to spot the differences.

nigga i use $10 skullcandys the fuck am i going to PRETEND to notice between the two

To prove how wrong you are, take a look at this picture. The PNG format is lossless, so it doesn't modify the quality in any way.

On the first row it's exactly your image. On the second row it's the same image converted to JPEG high quality settings. Spot the differences between these 2 rows.

Forgot to add: the visual difference between these 2 rows is the difference between a FLAC and an MP3 with a high bitrate.

BTW, the difference between the OP's PNG and that HQ JPEG (in Photoshop add each image on a separate layer and select Difference). Where do you see black it means the images are identical.

And finally, the actual HQ JPEG used in that comparision.

Take the test and find out.
npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality#
And let's look at what science has to say:
mcelhearn.com/well-crafted-study-shows-listeners-cannot-distinguish-between-cd-quality-and-high-resolution-music-files/

That test is fucking shit, WAV takes much longer to load and it's not an ABX. You really are a fucking pleb.

This is the only legitimate one on the internet as far as I know. Got an 80% here: abx.digitalfeed.net/lame.320.html

>That test is fucking shit, WAV takes much longer to load and it's not an ABX. You really are a fucking pleb.
What's the difference? You can't distinguish WAV from FLAC, nor from 320 kbps MP3.

You are pleb. WAV is FLAC unpackaged. It's the same data, but stored inefficiently. It's like PNG vs BMP.

>implying you can hear above 20 kHz
Even if your hearing is super good there's no way you can hear truly 22 kHz. Even though I admit it's a good placebo.

I'm a huge audiophile but unless you have a great audio system you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

kek

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_analogy#False_analogy

You pair of fucking idiots. When you play the 3 files in the npr test, the lossless one will always take longer to load. This is not about flac vs wav.

See, this level of stupidity is what creates nonsensical discussions around the subject.

Great. And you've proven what exactly?

That you can ace your bullshit test by seeing which one takes the longest to load. Did you see the picture?

I've actually noticed that V0 ain't as perfect as everyone thought.
320 master race reppin.

no you're not right about that. V0 and 320 are supposed to be equiv except they trim down alot from the more silent parts. If you transcoded them yourself from flac, with the right software, and did a blind test you wouldn't notice the difference, no doubt.

You're a stupid idiot. You could convert that mp3 to WAV and compare WAV (the original one) to WAV (the one made from the mp3).

Honestly what the fuck are you talking about

>I've actually noticed that V0 ain't as perfect as everyone thought.
How did you notice that? Did you actually do an ABX test?