DON'T STOP BELIEVING

DON'T STOP BELIEVING

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWCruFZZ7DIjKCxrY9dU9182KCdhfG5aK
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I COULD BLOW THROUGH THE CEEIIIIIILLING!!

This song is kino as fuck after seeing The Sopranos.

Fuck off Journey you're the worst band of the 80s.

Technically a 70s band but w/e.

Oh 70s. Shit that makes the comparison even worse with what they're going up against...

THEY were 70s? Christ....

Journey originally was the brainchild of a couple of veteran musicians who'd worked with big names like Hendrix and Zappa. The first two albums were jazzy prog rock with mostly instrumentals and not a lot of vocals. Then the third album had more singing, but they failed to attract any attention. At this point, Columbia forced them to accept Barry Gibb wannabe Steve Perry. They didn't want to do this, but Columbia threatened to drop them otherwise.

But yeah, they had five albums out already, including the first two with SP before January 1, 1980.

>veteran musicians who'd worked with big names like Hendrix and Zappa.
THEY WORKED WITH ZAPPA???

>The first two albums were jazzy prog rock with mostly instrumentals and not a lot of vocals
...Holy fuck that sounds amazing....

>Barry Gibb wannabe
I don't even like the Beegees later stuff. (Early Beegees all the way)

>Columbia threatened to drop them otherwise.
Wow Columbia has shit taste.

Steve Perry is a great singer, fuck you guys

>Steve Perry
>great singer

Pick one.

>Aynsley Thomas Dunbar (born 10 January 1946) is an English drummer. He has worked with some of the top names in rock, including Nils Lofgren, Eric Burdon, John Mayall, Frank Zappa, Ian Hunter, Lou Reed, Jefferson Starship, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, Whitesnake, Sammy Hagar, Michael Schenker, UFO, Flo & Eddie and Journey.[1] Dunbar was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Journey in 2017.[2]

>Gregg Alan Rolie (born June 17, 1947, Seattle, Washington, United States) is an American singer, keyboardist and organist. Rolie served as lead singer of the bands Santana, Journey and Abraxas Pool – all of which he co-founded. He also helmed rock group The Storm, and currently performs with his Gregg Rolie Band. Rolie is a two-time inductee of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, having been inducted both as a member of Santana in 1998 and as a member of Journey in 2017.

>Neal Joseph Schon (born February 27, 1954)[1] is an American rock guitarist, songwriter, and vocalist best known for his work with the bands Journey and Bad English. He is Journey's last original constant member, having participated in every album and tour to date. He was a member of the rock band Santana before forming Journey, and was also an original member of Hardline.

>Steve Perry
>not a great singer

pick one

To quote Christgau, "Pat Boone never learned, so why should Steve Perry? Oversinging signifies not power, but will and desperation."

What the fuck?!?!?!?
How did they even fuck up this badly...I..I'm just so disappointed.

Sold their souls for $$$.

Ok I was mistaken about Jimi Hendrix, but they did work with a lot of 60s-70s rock heavyweights.

Is their early stuff worth listening to? Is it good without that fucker Steve?

Columbia were always a pretty lame record label desu and they never liked anything raw or dangerous unlike Elektra and Warner Bros.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWCruFZZ7DIjKCxrY9dU9182KCdhfG5aK

Album #2. Knock yourself out.

Not the guy you're expecting a response from, but I too wonder if their early work is worth listening to. I know that they're an arena-rock, AOR band, but Steve's vocals are one in a million. Oh, and by the way, did you know that Aynsley Dunbar played with Bowie too?

I'm trying to think of what else was on Columbia at the time.

I get the feeling they let them into the HoF mostly because of Ansley Dunbar. He has a huge resume and certainly deserved the honor, but wasn't inducted with any of the previous acts he played with.

The other day with my friends in this club we're in at school we sang along to this at a bar. Good times. Buttrock sounds good when it's social.

That part about Bowie was redundant, but I didn't see the previous post while I was typing.

Bob Dylan, ELO, Carlos Santana, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Barbra Streisand to name some. As you can see, they didn't focus that much on loud/heavy/metally kinds of music.

Listening to it now.

>Aynsley Dunbar played with Bowie
Holy fuck he let himself go....which Bowie album did he play on?

I like a few of those (especially billy) but I can see what you mean.

Pin Ups and Diamond Dogs

>Pin Ups

....never mind.

Several actually: Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs. Did you know that Rick Wakeman played on Ziggy Stardust?

If you were a 12 year old girl in 1981, Journey were ok.

I'm late again...

>Pinups

Y know maybe the guy from journey was always bad....
And no I didn't know that, I thought it was just his Spiders lineup.

I love/know a lot about Bowie but not a lot about his backing musIcians (save for Mike Garson)

Rick Wakeman had made progressive pop albums himself, so I see why he worked his Bowie in his early career.

The only person responsible for bung David Bowie albums was David Bowie.

Has*
By the way, is their second album worth listening to? I'd imagine a prog rock group would sound magnificent with those vocals.

Well I don't wanna remember Pinups! Tell those meanies to stop bringing it up!

Journey went down the drain pretty fast after Frontiers because they ran out of ideas and also couldn't transition to the MTV age. A lot of established bands didn't have it in them to do music videos.

They had a brief comeback in the 90s but Steve's voice was gone by that point.

>but Steve's vocals are one in a million
Disclaimer: This is not intended as a compliment

Dennis DeYoung is worse desu.

It's a shame he warded those vocals singing about love affairs.

Asking whether him or Steve Perry is worse is like choosing between syphilis and HIV.

Wasted*