Björk calls people out on their blatant sexism

Apparently people were mad that they couldn't see her during her DJ set at a festival in Texas, and this is what she had to say:

"i am aware of that it is less of a year since i started djing publicly so this is something people are still getting used to and my fans have been incredibly welcoming to me sharing my musical journey and letting me be me . its been so fun and the nerd in me editing together pieces of others peoples songs for weeks , gets to share the different coordinates i feel between some of the most sublime music i know .
but some media could not get their head around that i was not "performing" and "hiding" behind desks . and my male counterparts not . and i think this is sexism . which at the end of this tumultuous year is something im not going to let slide : because we all deserve maximum changes in this revolutionary energy we are currently in the midst of
its gotta be worth it
anyways
women in music are allowed to be singer songwriters singing about their boyfriends . if they change the subject matter to atoms , galaxies , activism , nerdy math beat editing or anything else than being performers singing about their loved ones they get criticized : journalists feel there is just something missing ... as if our only lingo is emo ...
i made volta and biophilia conscious of the fact that these were not subjects females usually write about . i felt i had earned it . on the activist volta i sang about pregnant suicide bombers and for the independence of faroe islands and greenland . on the pedagogic biophilia i sang about galaxies and atoms but it wasnt until vulnicura where i shared a heartbreak i got full acceptance from the media . men are allowed to go from subject to subject , do sci fi , period pieces , be slapstick and humorous , be music nerds getting lost in sculpting soundscapes but not women . if we dont cut our chest open and bleed about the men and children in our lives we are cheating our audience ."

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I saw her set. it wasn't good....
Anyway shes right about the sexism for female djs
but her set like i said was pretty boring

>male counterparts

Any of them as famous as regular artists as she is?

literally what the FUCK is she ever talking about

Surely this is down to the fact that Bjork is seen as a singer-songwriter in the eyes of the public and people expected a Bjork performance.

Most audiences prefer music about love and relationships over abstract subjects. I really don't think this is a male or female thing.

yeah true and shes also forgetting that because of her name of singer-songwriter stuff that she was able to headline. because her djing is pretty average

>on the activist volta i sang about pregnant suicide bombers and for the independence of faroe islands and greenland . on the pedagogic biophilia i sang about galaxies and atoms

I really like her and everything, but really, how full of herself is she? Also her song about "pregnant suicide bombers" is downright embarrassing.

who cares she likes to fuck animals

Kinda weird that she even cares

>volta and biophilia
>citing your two worst albums as evidence of how creative you are

would still bang

im just going to ignore this stupid thing she said

This is is probably the most common problem people had. I went to this festival with my dad, who has been a fan of hers since the 90's, and he was very excited to see her sing. He isn't too much a fan for DJ sets and left Bjorks set disappointed.

The key is to not care what the critics say as by nature they are always a little bit behind the artists

>women in music are allowed to be singer songwriters singing about their boyfriends . if they change the subject matter to atoms , galaxies , activism , nerdy math beat editing or anything else than being performers singing about their loved ones they get criticized

???

Pretty true though isn't it

if you're not baiting i'm very confused

I loved Biophilia before she released Vulnicura so...

this is fucking ridiculous

i was there and she wore a mask. so did squarepusher. aphex twin hid behind a wall.

some people complained about all three of them. other people didn't give a fuck and enjoyed the music

then she says that men are "allowed" to be music nerds

that's fucking bullshit. all of her music is gimmicky as fuck. her only good records are when Matmos did all the work for her. She's an image-based musician, and she should probably start taking music more seriously instead of thinking "what image do i want for my next record?"

and no one EVER says those things about Joanna Newsom or Laurie Anderson or Julia Holter or Angel Olsen or Zola Jesus or Neko Case or K.D. Lang or Liz Harris because those are female musicians who are actually trying to make innovative high-quality music that represents themselves, not whoring themselves out in a big fucking "look at me i'm so interesting" parade, I swear to fucking god

I didn't have a problem with Bjork until I saw her mediocre DJ set and then read about her blaming men for this gay shit. Like what a fucking bitch, you get so much attention for being a qt grill xD and then you whine that people don't take you seriously, well then DONT BE A FUCKING POP STAR, of course people would complain if lady gaga hid behind a wall at a concert because her music is shit and people like her for her image. Learn from this you dumb cunt.

>The general public is more open to consuming generic, easily-relateable shit over songs about goddamn atoms and suicide bombing pregnant women
Wow, really? I had no idea.

Why can't women use their brains more, like for example men do, then they wouldn't yap so much shit like Bjorn just did.

When Matmos did all the work for her? ALL of it? Lmao how dense can you be.

thanks for proving her point kek

m8 i was at her set. it wasn't good
did you see it?

To be fair, they were advertised as DJ sets, and she's been doing them for some time now.

Matmos just added some beats on Vespertine when it was 99% complete. Don't know how much they did on Medulla. And she takes her music pretty seriously.

Well she's right. She was clearly performing a DJ set, not a Bjork concert. However I'm not sure if it's sexist.. the same thing might happen if some male musician who normally does traditional shows were to put on a DJ set

She's definitely right about women being more accepted when they perform songs about love and getting with guys. Right around the time she started being more experimental in the '90s, the media started shunning her. However one thing she doesn't mention is that all of her recent albums are critically acclaimed by people who actually care about music

Bjork is one of those artists that tons of people, even if they aren't a fan of hers, still want to to perch on their mantles and say "Oh, I've seen Bjork perform" at parties and stuff. I can imagine Houston hipsters going to her appearance just for this reason and got disappoined when she was just djing behind a desk

>I'm not sure if it's sexist
It's not. It's a go to card for a lot of female artists nowadays, especially ones who are bleeding popularity. Since when were men 'allowed' to suck?

>if we dont cut our chest open and bleed about the men and children in our lives we are cheating our audience
This is beyond self centred and delusional. We this, we that...I can't stand when people try to divine what some collective is collectively thinking.

nigga u are straight up down syndrome sorry to say

Even the Beatles got a lot less popular when they did more political/artsy stuff.

I feel like shit other people get to see her not me. Fug.

She's too old

while you're write about Bjork putting heavy emphasis on her image it's in tandem with the amount of effort she puts into her music, even when it's not that great (which is how I feel about her last three albums).

the Matmos dude added a few touches to Vespertine. Mark Bell from LFO was the one she collaborated with heavily during the 90s, the key word being COLLABORATED. every artist back then worked with producers, either for added help or just because they really liked one particular person's music (which is why she works with Arca now).

I can't deny that there are some female musicians who care more about their physical appearance and image than actual music (and men as well, Father John Misty is a perfect example of this), but Bjork just doesn't fall into that category. if anyone attended that festival and actually expected a live performance, then they didn't read the fine print, Bjork always advertises her DJ sets as nothing more than a DJ set

you're the most dense trip i've ever seen
why would you put yourself through the embarassment of people recognizing the shit you write? filtered

She's right

wrong on many levels

the discussion is not if her set was good or not you faggot

How does she explain her own success singing about all kinds of random nonsense then?

wrong
They do everything they can to say "DJ SET" and this is not a bjork show but a DJ performance, I don't think anyone could reasonably expect anything other than a DJ performance

Wasn't a trip, dumbass.

people still care about Bjork?
Wow, I had no idea...

Isn't she like 70 now?

weak bait

Bjork being an ugly non-woman making trash music has been an extremely common punchline in comedy for decades, she's been successful but obviously not in every sense of the word. Then you look at successful musicians in general and see how rare her marginal social success has been, almost everyone else either sings someone else's pop songs or has a penis.

It's almost like not being a typical commercial artist limits mainstream success or something.

It should be noted that many do not seem to like her voice, several of my female friends do not like her for that reason.

m8 i was at the event. i paid good money for a show
not amateur night at the dj booth

When you come to Los Angeles you can suck my cock.

>>Sup Forums

She's right you know.

>makes uninteresting "experimental xDDD" popshit
>looks like a failed abortion
>has a conceited attitude about it
Does this bitch have any positive qualities?

This is like some sort of collective mental disorder people are going through. These are just generally shitty times to live in. I feel like the world I'm living in is completely neurotic and insane, and it always seems like there are undertones of seething hatred at the center of people taking offense to everything.

I don't really like Bjork's music because it's not very good but sure I think that's possibly a valid criticism...I'm not sure how valid it is because it's hard to find women who do sing about whatever...but men always sing about women too...sooo...it would be easier to have a discussion if examples were provided that weren't her music

Well then it sounds like the real problem is that journalists don't know how DJ sets work.

Does she not understand that people would ask the same questions of Justin Timberlake or whoever the kids listen to these days? She's a performer, she's most known for performing; of course her deciding to not perform would come as a shock.

The festival said she was Djing not doing her usual show. Get over yoself

well she delivered an inferior product and received a poor reception, that's how it works...you can't keep blaming failures on some ism

So tickets should cost less for her dj sets? Anyone who didn't get the memo would only have themselves to blame.

this falls in the same category as a black person calling a negative critic racism.

there is sexism in the music industry but let's not blame everything on it. if tom yorke decided to put up dj sets in festivals instead ppl would probably criticize him for not singing or doing some sort of live performance instead

as if we need another female celebrity has been to jump on the sexism bandwagon, shit is getting old

Literally who in 2016 is saying that women cannot perform, besides Sup Forums?
This is such a fucking stupid argument

Not really a good comparison, Thom has done DJ sets and hasn't gotten flack from it as far as I can see (tho I might be wrong), but I get what you're saying. I agree with Bjork on the problems of sexism in the industry but I do wonder how much of the backlash was her doing a DJ set as opposed to singing.

Honestly disappoints me that someone like bjork has succumbed to this SJW way of thinking. I thought she was more intelligent than that.

>sexism in the industry
you ever get bent over the tank and get called Fuel Tank Frank?

i know that and the set still sucked
she had better shit up on soundcloud ffs

>Tom Yorke

um no shes always been like that?
got btfo by lars and whined when she didn't win

i don't know. i can't think of single sci fi, period piece, slapstick, etc male artist that is popular in a mainstream sense. i think journalist don't care about that shit no matter if they're male or female

Funny, I do like her music and yet I think she is full of shit.

It's just cringe inducing seeing her try to be 'intellectual'...she's always been sentimental and irrational as fuck; that's the whole appeal of her style and music.

shes probably referring to this song desuyoutube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

>go to see an artist live
>expect artist to be centerpiece of set
>can barley even see artist
>get called a sexist for critisizing the set
What is even going on in this world

>nerdy math beats
god fucking damnit

sounds about like something someone with an ego would say

Who loves lyrics about relationships and heartbreak and why? I hate that shit but it's true it's popular. Except I assumed the prevalence was due to a lack of creativity.

>man says something stupid
>"wow that was stupid"
>woman says something stupid
>"wow women are stupid"

lets see since bjork is a woman. shes probably is referring to some guy she knows calling her a hack

don't worry Sup Forums she isn't talking about u white males

Somewhat off-topic but I just wanted to point out how perfectly this post demonstrates the stupidity of using "SJW" as an insult. This is literally a SJW way of thinking, as in "sexism in industry X is undesirable and we should work to fix it" is actually how people fight for social justice, which is a good thing. You can't refer to a thing as exactly what it is and have that still work as an insult, it just doesn't hit right. "That novel is such a book." "Burgers are food!" See how stupid it is?

By all means feel free to disagree with what groups of people say and insult them accordingly, just take the time to come up with an insult that actually makes the slightest bit of sense.

and yet no one is talking about them anymore and we're still talking about bjork.

Literally the same thing happens with men. Drop the straw statements.

>180m views on youtube
show me a bjork video with 180m views

>Literally the same thing happens with men
literally not true

>u white males
we're not in a period where can be anything other than 'systematic' to people who use the term sexism or misogynist. Individuality is dead.

Fine
why has bjork succumbed to straight white male way of thinking

Literally true. The idea that men are dumber than women is an old ass trope.

What a unique and special statement you have brought to the table, truly you are a shining beacon of individuality.

oh I'm sorry I forgot commercials and shitty sitcoms were representative of real life

tell that to the SJWs.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about here

Sarcasm can't substitute truth.

Were there no females at this concert? Was it only males saying they couldn't see her?
I haven't been to many DJ sets, but I always like it more when i can see the DJ'er DJ'ing out, what exactly was she doing that sparked this?

women are better than men
old news bro

she hid in the back we couldn't see her. aphex twin did the same shit and we hated it. his set was meh also

the originally assertion you made is the same kind of trope and just as irrelevant

He is saying that the media (I.e. what bjork is talking about here) is what SJWs use to represent the real world. For example, i recently read an article that advocated that rape culture was very much alive, because the lead female on New Girl said "it's not sexy if a man asks permission to kiss you." Therefore, according to this article, commercials and shitty sitcoms are representative of real life

Men who sleep around are called chauvinist pigs while women who sleep around are "empowered". Men are dumb idiots on tv while women are rational and calm. Men are the victims of 40% of domestic abuse but male domestic abuse is treated like a joke

baka men are the worst

And the truth is that individuality has never been a significant part of human civilization. Your parents lied to you. The present day in America literally provides some of the greatest individual freedom we've literally ever seen and everyone still turns out as a cookie cutter member of a few select groups, the truth is that people want to be like other people who they like and end up becoming nobody special or noteworthy in the process. Individuality isn't "dying," it's been given its only real chance to date and it decided suicide was the best option.

volta is great fuck off

Okay dude, now you're just being autistic. Women who sleep around are all labelled as sluts. Women are all labelled as crazy and bitches. I disagree with the other guy as well, men are are also blanket generalised as well, especially when its concerned with rape, and not being emotional or taking things seriously or shit.
But, when it's applicable i think it's fair, if a woman is complaining about something petty, it goes pretty hand in hand with the SJW image, and some might make a blanket statement. Either way, you're both right and wrong

Well thats shit then, I'm still completely confused as to why she labelled this as sexism though?