/grimes/

Let's talk about the artist of the decade, Grimes!

youtube.com/watch?v=ADPk5PpkjMg

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/article/feature/37102-column-interrobang-17/
youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
youtube.com/watch?v=HweaxUT43Jc
youtube.com/watch?v=vulvMVhDqeU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI
youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s
youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=o_fLwbsYe-U
youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E
youtube.com/watch?v=JElcDnYkxQM
youtube.com/watch?v=8R00Vu7Ag7s
youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I lover her lads.

Ugh, this picture is making me melt.

Lol didn't mean to repost all that. Just

If the language of music is merely the utterance of a melodic line, a simple sequence of musical notes, it can justly be accused of poverty. The addition of a Bass puts it upon a harmonic foundation and clarifies it, but defines rather than gives it added richness. A melody so accompanied—even though all the notes are not those of the true Bass—or treated with simple embellishments in the upper parts, or with simple chords, used to be called “homophony.” But it is a very different thing when two melodies are so interwoven that they converse together like two persons upon a footing of pleasant equality. In the first case the accompaniment is subordinate, and serves merely to support the first or principal part. In the second case the two parts are not similarly related. New melodic combinations spring from their interweaving, out of which new forms of musical expression emerge. If more parts are interwoven in the same free and independent manner, the apparatus of language is correspondingly enlarged, and becomes practically inexhaustible if, in addition, varieties of form and rhythm are introduced. Hence harmony becomes no longer a mere accompaniment of melody, but rather a potent agency for augmenting the richness and expressiveness of musical conversation. To serve that end a simple accompaniment will not suffice. True harmony is the interweaving of several melodies, which emerge now in the upper, now in the middle, and now in the lower parts.

From around 2009, when she was twenty-one, Grime's harmony consists in this melodic interweaving of independent melodies, so perfect in their union that each part seems to constitute the true melody. Herein Claire excels all the composers in the world. At least, I have found no one to equal her in music known to me. Even in his four-part writing we can, not infrequently, leave out the upper and lower parts and still find the middle parts melodious and agreeable.

Grimes is the best. If I was forced to only listen to a single artist the rest of my life I would pick her.

Do you know that P4K uses a Grimes GIF on their 404 (address not found) page? Refresh this random link (that doesn't exist anymore) few times: pitchfork.com/article/feature/37102-column-interrobang-17/

Ironically that copypasta* is actually VERY accurate (music theory wise) in describing some key aspects of Grimes' music.

* Fyi there's still a stray masculine pronoun in the last sentence.

yazz my ugly ass queen slayyy lol so randum haha

Art angels is amazing . Ive had it on repeat for several weeks

Im in love with her

She should do squats and deadlifts tho

Is this all just a big joke like the Taylor Swift threads?
Please tell me this is a joke......please.

People used to write like this. Now we r dumb

Art angels brought her beyond memes.

She is real now

Yes.
Hate to break it to you, but this entire post of yours is just a big joke.

Speak for yourself. Some of us still play upon the elements of style.

Why does her music sound like something an autistic 5 year old would make?

Am I just listening to her worst shit or something? Could someone please link to something she's done that doesn't totally suck?

I'm not not trying to troll, enlighten me please.

That's high praise.

Your post is a big fat joke. This thread? No.

I don't think you're listening to Grimes if you say such absurd statements. What kind of music do you like?

I'm not the same guy, but are these threads like one big joke? This is really bad music

>are these threads like one big joke?
Mostly likely, to some. To me - not at all.

>Why does her music sound like something an autistic 5 year old would make?
How is it exactly that you are an expert on what music made by autistic 5-year-olds sounds? Because therein lies your answer.

One big joke since 2012? Don't you think these threads elevated beyond the meme status by now?

>This is really bad music
That's just your opinion, dude. Here's a little advice: just listen to what you like and leave us alone to discuss "bad music".

Please share some links to something she does that sounds like music. I'm trying to be open minded, help.

>I'm trying to be open minded
user, you've already failed by not answering my question. How can you claim to know what music created by autistic 5-year-olds even sounds like?

favourite Grimes song?

mine is flesh without blood

youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
youtube.com/watch?v=HweaxUT43Jc
youtube.com/watch?v=vulvMVhDqeU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE

Attention: her music is a grower.

Vanessa

No one can dislike Oblivion

Ok, I get it now. She's like the 2016 version of Enya/Massive attack with a bunch of 80's and 90's synth and beats mixed in. I can understand the appeal now. Won't go out of my way to listen to it (not what I'm into), but I don't think it's garbage anymore.
Not to mention you got her videos viewed five more times by someone who wouldn't have bothered, so good on you!

Enya for reference youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI

Massive Attack for reference youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s

Grimes is like a mix of Cocteau Twins, Mariah Carey, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin and Underworld. If you don't want to listen to her music, so be it, but I can tell you you're missing out some really gorgeous music. The appeal of her music is clearer after (let's say) a month of listening to her discography.

The first Grimes song that I liked: youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y

user, you clearly don't understand music if you are comparing GRIMES (all caps when you spell the womans name) with any other vapid cunt. GRIMES is eons ahead of what any one else is even hoping they could create sonically. Even the infinite explosions and collisions of all the elements in the distant reaches of the cosmos fail to accomplish sounds similar to what the demigod known as GRIMES has blessed us with.

ummmmmmmm, you're starting to swing me back into thinking this is like a Taylor Swift thread. If you really care about "GRIMES" please stop defending her like that. It's kinda lame, and not helping. Just saying.

it was a joke my man. she's okay in my opinion, some catchy tunes

another useful thread

but butter than all of them combined

>she's okay in my opinion, some catchy tunes
You fooled me for a moment that you're actually a huge fanboy. Still, your latest comment is inaccurate: she's more than OK and her music has a real emotional impact that couldn't be delivered by just "some catchy tunes". Someone with just a bunch of catchy tunes wouldn't get the same level of adoration she gets from listeners.

>butter
?????

I don't really care for it. I don't feel anything from it.

better lol

she cited the Residents as her greatest influence

Fun Grimes fact: Boucher means of the mouth in french.

Claire, I sexualizes you and your music.
youtube.com/watch?v=o_fLwbsYe-U

Grimes x Richie Hawtin collab, when?

they're becoming real promising now, i'm glad I stuck around

All those artists (except Mariah) are really, really great. I'd say she's on par with them.

That's OK. Music taste is subjective.

Why do you make these threads daily? Get out with her fugly stank ass

nightmusik or skin

Be a Body or Realiti

There's no need to be upset

I don't like synth shit

You don't? Are you a pleb? What is your problem?

you sexual grimes?

Checked and verified, nice digits user!

youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E

Old school synth shit for digits!

Devo are cool. I think Grimes would like them.

Grimes plays guitar, is this thread related to the guitar generals? I highly rate the tremolo guitar on Butterfly.

ok, she's good but artist of the decade? cmon now. i enjoy all of her music but thats a HUGE stretch

great music. makes me feel good

when can we split into /art angel/ general and /vision/

when is this nasty looking gremlin gonna make a decent song?

6 years ago.

good idea, also /guitargrimeth/ and /keyboardgrimeth/ would be nice.

I'll fuck you up.

It's not a huge stretch at all. Name a better artist that started the career this decade. See how difficult it is?

Suck a pen15, hater. When you're going to get a decent taste, pleb?

Frank Ocean

yes, she's great. of course.

acne

it all goes away

omg you bastard with the implications, here is your reply

youtube.com/watch?v=JElcDnYkxQM

thoughts? I never really liked this song until I saw this version

Wonderful erotic dreams with her come to me, when I turn on her music in the night.
youtube.com/watch?v=8R00Vu7Ag7s

I don't even really care for Grimes' work as a whole but Oblivion is one of the best pop songs I have ever heard. Great vid too.

unlike these threads, much to her chagrin.

What did they mean by this?

Do you think Grimes has ever touched a black's hair without their permission?

>he thinks the Taylor Swift threads are a joke.

>he actually thinks Frank Ocean is better than Grimes

grimes is overrated desu, Sup Forums only likes her because muh waifu

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

Endless is one of the best and most important albums of the decade. It's ahead of its time as an R&B album, and it's cohesive and concise.

Perfection can't be overrated.
youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY

it can be deeply flawed

Endless like Blonde is a snooze fest that will have hardly any impact on future music and I'm very glad for that

she looks like that bitch with the big fat snickers in her mouth that gets posted around

Kill v Maim

Does she realise there are thousands of people who constantly dream about her?

Any other artists like Grimes or Melanie Martinez

I think Marina and the Diamonds for Melanie Martinez? But only her last album FROOT

Of course

why do i feel such a void when i listen to her first two or three records
is it because of romantic feelings towards her that i thought i had gotten over with by not listening to her music anymore and not visiting the threads? this sucks

it was all totally legal. you may have been warned, you may have not cared at that point

mods

Never, but Sup Forums sure as hell will not admit it.

I'm amazed how people can be so shameless, even on an anonymous board, to admit that their taste is so inferior that they don't like Grimes.
If you don't like her music, please, for your sake, pretend that you do, otherwise you're announcing to everyone within earshot that you're not an important person, you have no value, and your thoughts are trivial.
You're admitting that you could die and it wouldn't matter.

Poor bait If you are serious though, don't flatter yourself so far as to pretend the delusional, disingenuous hive-mind of this place has any meaningful ability to dictate value.

>You're admitting that you could die and it wouldn't matter.

bro there's a lot of money on that talent, don't underestimate it

David

Boring music IMO.