How isn't he he best?

How isn't he he best?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8
youtube.com/watch?v=npKzP-16xw8
youtube.com/watch?v=MigYYKlttV8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He is. Tasteful, virtuosic, creative. My musical hero

He INVENTED music, you know. He is the reason we have half the music we have today.

And all he had to do was sit at a piana.

Bumping with the playlist.

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8

Herbie has a pretty huge genius to him yeah
never had a phase where i was crazy about him personally though like i'm still waiting for it but i really love his playing on the miles new quintet records like ESP he's seriously amazing on that record.

What Herbie have you listened to so far?

Would you like an album guide?

sure, i'd love it! besides his playing on other records headhunters is all i've heard, but i've heard i should check out maiden voyage

ALL ABOARD TO CHOO CHOO TRANE

See the guide and the earlier posted playlist.

Happy trails.

Love him

I don't think anybody can top Coltrane in pure talent and expression though.

This isn't Herbie....

The Austin Powers soundtrack was his best work

>Coltrane
I listened to Ascension today whilst on acid. The man was a supreme bandleader and soloist.

Post lesser-known Coltranes
youtube.com/watch?v=npKzP-16xw8

He did ALL the sound tracks to every movie ever, fun fact.

THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL HERBIE!!!!

His earlier stuff is fantastic. Especially Empyrean Isles and the album that should be considered among the GOATest of the GOATs of jazz: Maiden Voyage.

His initial venture into jazz fusion wasn't bad. Like Miles Davis' earlier jazz fusion romps, a super close look at the music doesn't necessarily have the depth of the earlier stuff, but at the same time kinda make up for it with crazy arrangements.

But then he did goddamn Headhunters, and with that album and everything after it it's been shitty watered down funk with a bit of jazz combo. Fuck off with that trash. Relies too much on boring repetitive grooves that don't have the percussive feel of funk and all music inspired from it, while the "jazz" bits are even more watered down and lack even more depth compared to his earlier experimental fusion trilogy forget his stuff before that.

The REAL GOAT right here!

>Headhunters
>Bad

Is that you, Grimescuck?

Surprised I wasn't accused of being jtg, but nah I am neither GC nor jtg. Just some guy who's spitting the truth on Handcock here.

But its not true tho.

I dare say it's his second or third best behind Rotunda.

You're still entitled to your opinion though so I'll respect that.

I gotta say, Pharoah Sanders, John Coltrane, and Alice Coltrane have made music that absolutely floors me. Such chaos in the next moment replaced by peace and unity.

As solo instrumentalists go Pharoah Sanders is honestly a contender for the best ever imo. Struggled as jazz grew more experimental though which has harmed his legacy a bit.

his 60s stuff is phenomenal. head hunters and sextant are great too. don't really like his synthy stuff though.

>Not liking the best instrument ever
Maaan you're missing out.

Because thelonious monk is the superior jazz pianist

Big L is the best bro dont worry

Get the fuck outta my face

Did Big L make Butterfly? No? Then he isn't the best! CHECKMATE!

guys check out herbie on other people's records too. his playing is at the highest level at all times. some suggestions:

Joe Henderson - Power to the People
Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-tones
Joni Mitchell - Mingus
Wayne Shorter - Native Dancer/many others
Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius

youtube.com/watch?v=MigYYKlttV8

>He was on a full Joni Mitchell album

There is a god. And his name is Herbie.
Also I'm planning on listening to On the Corner soon (herbie was a sideman on that album I'm pretty sure) .

Oh hey, frog man. How's it goin? Cool of you to join us.

Because Thelonious is the best.

NO HE GOD DAMN AIN'T. GET OUTTA TOWN.

Thelonious, Ahmed Jamal and Bill Evans are my favorites but Herbie is one of the best undoubtedly though i'm this guy

Thelonious is the most important, but mostly for his compositions

the "best" would either be Miles or Trane, the shit they did in the 50s is unbelievable, so fucking expressive and meaningful and endlessly relistenable

Armstrong might be the best on the basis that he laid out the limits of jazz instrumentation and took the music to its highest form. He reinvented rhythm, melody, harmony, and music

Charlie Haden is the greatest rhythm player/sideman ever, no one could follow a solo like him

in terms of modern guys, Braxton and Zorn basically adapted jazz for a post-bop world and allowed the music to thrive, although it was just based on where Monk took compositions

I'm a Miles Davis kinda guy

The list goes on...