Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1790

Kokujin edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
Fuck Sup Forums

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!ccYVGIqI!tr3SNu_kvIHEWiuKNiUzeA
a.uguu.se/EYRTLLTkq264_1424516392493.mp4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Readings
jisho.org/search/数 #kanji
manapedia.jp/text/1370
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nope
You should learn true Japanese, I think
JG is not able to teach true Japanese

Is that Khatzumoto? He's really changing it up.

>You
Not about me.
>JG is not able to teach
Either are you.

It also has an Anki deck based on it which you may or may not find useful.
mega.nz/#F!ccYVGIqI!tr3SNu_kvIHEWiuKNiUzeA

What is the difference between Japanese Grammar and 国文法? Does it actually matter?

I've been working on a new method to teach hiragana very efficiently, and I need a test subject to test it out. Ideally someone who has never studied Japanese and is unfamiliar with kana script.

So, if you are lurking this thread with an interest in Japanese, with no prior knowledge, and want to learn, please may I use you as a guinea pig. Just reply to this post and I will get started.

stop learning shit. that's wasteful

Can I sync anki on two computers so it'd be virtually the same exact deck/progress which could be accessed from two different places?
Or will it do some sort of merge, if I used the same deck on the second PC independently?

にほんごスレにおいで
Come to JT

my nigga be helping me out

>so it'd be virtually the same exact deck/progress which could be accessed from two different places?
That's exactly what the online sync function does.
You can also export your collection from one computer and import it to other (you can do the same to Ankidroid, on Android devices) to achieve the same thing, offline, if you wanted.

Are you reading anything at the moment to warm your spirit in the colder months in the fatherland?

Not really. I'm just grinding anki for now, barely even touched the grammar. I guess I do need some reading practice to get used to the weird sentence composition and whatnot.

Fair enough, fair enough. I've always been an impatient person and so I was trying to read things while I was learning the kana. Trying to parse the Japanese column of the dictionaries entries in the Oxford learners Japanese dictionary while practising pronouncing らりれるろ over and over and over and over and over and over.

Do you have any specific stimuli for wanting to learn Japanese or is it more of a general language learning endeavour?
This is adorable: a.uguu.se/EYRTLLTkq264_1424516392493.mp4

Mostly Sup Forums-related honestly. Games that come out with years long lag in the west, or don't come out at all, inevitable losses in translation, censorship, voice acting, etc.
I'm not aiming to be able to translate professionally or anything. It's just my pet project, and also sort of a challenge to myself, because I'm a lazy person.
Although, I didn't study English in school and university especially hard, but now I often spot errors in professional En-Ru translations. So maybe one day I'll know Japanese just as well, who knows.

>Mostly Sup Forums-related honestly.
Blocked.
>Although, I didn't study English in school and university especially hard, but now I often spot errors in professional En-Ru translations.
I remember a user from the kanji koohii forums, from Russia (could be wrong, though) saying that from experience working with a localising company they'd more or less phonetically shift everything so it fits the target language, as in via some sort of katakana type deal the Japanese use for various foreign words, then translate the prime movers of a phrase into the target language so the overall bears enough congeniality with the language for mass consumption.

What sort of games do you gravitate towards, дpyг?

Currently my short(?) term goal, which I will most likely fail, is to be able to play pic related before it gets the English release.
I've heard it uses some unnecessarily hard, archaic kanji.

What did we talk about using random pictures as opening images, you piece of garbage?

At least put in some effort.

that's hardly even a game, let alone a Japanese game
it's literally making small numbers get bigger
you probably have to know all of five words to play it

Kill yourself white devil

From now on I will make it my goal to start every DJT with a picture of a black man

we are legion
expect us

ok so what does the title of kyarys song "最&高" actually translate to?

最&高
最 and 高
最高
the best
THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

do you know 最低 & 最悪?
最低 or 最悪, which is worse?

>最低 or 最悪, which is worse?
You

what you want to say is that Pantsuya is the worst?

>tfw Kikuhime will never be my oyabin

Medabots... my childhood

Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:44:37 No.69804637▶
GRINGOS GET OUT MY THREAD, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:48:01 No.69804723▶>a verga, benga
Kek meu avô fala assim. Quando eu vejo o vocabulário tuga sempre me faz pensar no português antigo falado aqui.
Sabes o que é um Magarefe (sem usar google)?É usado em tugalândia?
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:53:16 No.69804867▶ Galego é Português? Ainda é utilizado?
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:54:33 No.69804901▶ Boa noite, /luso/.
Até amanhã, tenham bons sonhos e que Deus abençoe a todos nós.
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:55:09 No.69804922▶
flw
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:55:17 No.69804927▶Olha a merdapostagem que vira um fio com capa de anime. Depois perguntam por que reclamam.
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:56:56 No.69804975▶É um continuo linguistico. Sim, na Galiza
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:59:42 No.69805043▶ Magarefe nao, mas minete e manguito sim também me faz lembrar pirete.
Que quer isso dizer?
>>
Anonymous 01/11/17(Wed)23:59:57 No.69805049▶
Mas a relação dele é como o Português de Portugal está para o Português Brasileiro (uma variante) ou é considerada uma outra língua?
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)00:01:28 No.69805082▶
Galego é proto-gaucho.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)00:03:15 No.69805121▶
Boa noite.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)00:04:24 No.69805152▶ >reclamando de shitpost no Sup Forums
>usando termos dos paneleiros e 55
Malditos normalfags.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)00:05:55 No.69805186▶m-mas eu aprendi com vocês...
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)00:06:44 No.69805203▶

How do Japanese read unique compounds whose kanji have multiple on-readings

>tfw I'm too dumb or lazy to google or wiki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Readings

>I pretend I know better so I paste wikipedia links

This is why no one likes the Chinese

>tfw i'm too dumb to read or comprehend simple sentences

Katakana #2

In today's lesson we will cover ka, ki, ku, ke, ko. カ、キ、ク、ケ、コ。

カ・ka is derived from 加える・くわえる・add/to increase and its on reading is カ. 加 is made up of the radicals 力 sword and 口 mouth. The idea here is that with a カ katana and a 口 threatened word you can 加 increase taxes. Another way to remember this katakana is to think of the 刀 (ka)tana or sword.

キ・ki is derived from 機・はた・loom/machine (キ itself is simplified from 戍・まもり to guard against) . 機 shows a 木 tree and a 幾・いく how much/many. 幾 is further broken down into 𢆶 silk threads and 戍・まもり to guard against. The idea here is to 戍 watch over 𢆶 little details. 機 also refers to an opportunity or chance. 機 shows a 機 machine like a 機 loom, processing 木 trees (ki).

ク・ku is derived from 久・ひさしい as in 久しぶり long time no see. 久 is a pictogram of a man receiving moxibustion. Moxibustion is an ancient Chinese herbal remedy, where mugwort (a herb) would be placed on the body and burned to provide healing. This was usually to heal joint pain like arthritis, usually found in old people - hence the idea of long ago or the passage of time. The mnemonic here is a 人 man getting 久 moxibustion and crying out in a manly way クー.

ケ・ke is derived from 介・カイ・mediation. This kanji is quite difficult to analyse, because it has many meanings. In the Japanese sense, it shows a 人 man 丿丨splitting himself between two things, mediating or concerning himself with them objectively. It's hard to come up with a mnemonic because the on reading itself is no longer ケ, but カイ. It's origin is a really guttural /*kˤr[e]p-s/, which sounds morel like 'kre'.

Cont'd.

カ 金がない
キ 気狂い(キチガイ)
ク 糞ポスター
コ 困ったちゃん

コ・ko is derived from 己・おのれ・oneself. 己 is a very basic pictogram that shows silk being bound. One way to remember コ is from the kanji 自己・ジコ・self/one-self. This is commonly used in the word 自己紹介・ジコショカイ・self-introduction, which ironically uses the previous kanji derivation 介. 自己 is used in many many other kanji having to do with the self.

That's all for today. Tune in tomorrow for another lesson.

Kanji with multiple on readings are usually due to having multiple etymological historical meanings and uses.

Take 数・かず・number/amount for instance. On readings for 数 are スウ、ス、サク、ソク、シュ. 数 was simplified from 數 which means count, to be reckoned, criticise, number, figure, mathematics, divination, skill, fate, destiny, frequency, fine, closely woven, and so on. Chinese readings include chhiok, /*s-rok/, /*s-roʔ-s/ and so on.

Most Japanese don't know the alternate on readings, unless it is a commonly used word. The best advice is to use the most common on reading and memorize that.

In the case of 数, the vast majority of Japanese words use the reading スウ. On Jisho.org the on readings are listed as most frequent to least frequent.

jisho.org/search/数 #kanji Here you can see スウ being listed first.

It's only rare special words like 数牌・シューパイ (like mahjong) that use the infrequently used on readings.

英語の人が理解できない

英訳すると
Japanese NEETs

Why is 日本語 so comfy?

>寝る子は犯す

酷いことね

it's a parody of 寝る子は育つ, that means "sleep brings up a child well; a well-slept child is a well-kept child"
((´∀`))

途中に日本語を勉強しているが、あんまり理解しない.
お世話になりました有難う.

万葉仮名は全く分からん。

くそ初心者

冗談は止したまえ。

冗談ではございません

ケ 削ったそうです

Is he trying to help you to ascape the toilette of doom?

くそブラサル人

You know what? I'm not going to do my reps for two weeks. I need a break, and I don't give a fuck.

If I forget all I've learned because of a short break, then it's not worth my time learning a language anyway quite frankly.

臆病者

Forgetting is not a problem. It's remembering.
Remembering this precedent and getting used to the idea of breaks when you "need" them.

お前はもう出来ていない。

Sup Forumsに万葉集の原文を読める人がいるとは思わなかった・・・。

>almost 70% fluent

is there a decent youtube series? I don't want to learn seriously, but I've never learned a completely different language like an Asian one so I want to get an idea of what it's like

the daily lives of high school boys

From キノの旅:

まるで自分に言い聞かすような、誰もいないところへ向かって喋るような口調だった。

Is this like, "Like he was telling himself, looking out into the distance, in a conversational tone"?
What is the definition of まるで here?

Also, this ように and ような in every sentence is driving me insane.

Drinkbeer

I think it's very easy for foreigners to understand them? "like" "as" "as if", you can choose one of them according to the context.

Both 自分に言い聞かすような and 誰もいないところへ向かって喋るような are used to describe 口調 here, so your translation's a bit off. It should be something like "he was speaking in a tone that made it sound as if he were speaking to himself or into the distance". In this case, まるで would be the "as if".

>tfw cant construct any non-basic sentences

>"he was speaking in a tone that made it sound as if he were speaking to himself or into the distance"
phew how perfect it looks, though my English sucks. I understand why he couldn't move forward well.

その気持ちをよく知っている

>memorize a non-basic sentence
>you can now construct a single non-basic sentence

Why can't learning languages be logical? Instead you have a million exceptions that make no sense

stay jealous losers

ひふみね

そうだよ

At what point in learning kanji do you no longer need to consider your native language reading of the kanji's meaning?

Where it is so ingrained that you can see a given kanji, and know the readings and meaning, even though you cannot recall the meaning in your native language. Is this just failure to properly remember the kanji, or is it familiarity with a given character to the point that you're thinking of it in Japanese and no longer need to recall the meanings in your mother tongue?

The second one.

But don't think it's a plus - being unable to express yourself in your native language may show deficiency in it as well.
I have plenty of friends who spend all day on the Internet and will use English words every other sentence because they can't remember (or haven't learned) their Portuguese counterparts.

Concerning the words "to close" and "to open," I understand that...

開く (read as ひらく) can be used "to open" things (transitively and intransitively) to reveal a greater potential of some sort or simply apart, e.g., a blooming flower, an umbrella, or the mind (metaphorically).... Is 閉じる used in a similar sense "to close" such things of greater potential, e.g., an open umbrella or the mind? I unfortunately can't find a clear explanation.

Also I've seen two readings on the internet for 開ける as 「あける」and 「ひらける」, the former of which I originally learned. Is there a difference or simply different readings/pronunciations?

気楽、気軽

Tell me about all easy cards you mess up for no reason.

so many individual cards that i've known for so long and keep mixing up.

低い
戻る
走る

how do you mess them up?

I guess 開ける might mean opening something sealed. yeah, it can be used when you want to say "can you open the window?", though. ひらける always mean "can open", right?

automatically think the other one on occasion, it's like 50/50, just need to work on it.

"sb can open" or "sth can be open" to be exact? well sorry if you get confused

Are you referring specifically to kanji, or to Japanese words?

If you're talking about words: eventually you have no need to "translate" back into your native language. In fact, trying to translate can be a hindrance to understanding, particularly when there is no word that exactly and concisely expresses the meaning. You start thinking in Japanese, and truthfully this makes it a lot faster to read and write.

If you're speaking about kanji specifically... I don't consciously think about the meaning of a kanji in a compound word. It honestly doesn't matter. Take 連絡 for example. Knowing the "meaning" of each kanji might help to remember the meaning of 連絡 I guess. But once you know the meaning of 連絡 itself, the "meaning" of the kanji is irrelevant.

>sth can be opened*

look at the second kanji in 気楽

楽しい
気楽
娯楽
快楽

it seems pretty hard to mix up

that's not the point im trying to make though. i can fix this misunderstanding by spending 1-2 minutes figuring it out.

are you saying you never see a word in anki and think of another word in anki right away?

なるほど... I apparently haven't learned the "potential form" in my grammar studies yet. Thanks.

That is one of 呼応の副詞. (it can be called as 陳述の副詞)
manapedia.jp/text/1370

まるで~ようだ is a basis set phrase in Japanese.
btw, the concept of understanding Japanese grammar from English grammar's point of view is increasing, so the basis of Japanese grammar is breaking more and more.
This is not nerveous formality but simple natural language.
Though each word is dispersed and it is often unnatural a little.

they are pretty much the same meaning and even the japanese cant tell about the difference as well. technically, 気軽 is more about a process you are gonna make. you say it when a thing you are gonna work on from now might be hard but you wont take it hard but easy. its like "give it a try easily" feeling.

its not awkward if you use 気楽 instead of it in this case tho. but 気楽 has a bit "lighter" and more "casual" feeling and it includes a "cheer up" feeling. so its often used by your mates to encourage you for some serious process you are gonna make. 気軽にね is a bit more serious about the process. your mates would say when not only you but also they concern about the process you do.

ah yes exactly. as to 開ける(あける), 開けられる(あけられる) is potential form verb. 開けれる is informal but kids and uneducated younger people tend to use it.

it depends which language you learn, older languages tend to be harder

Lately I feel like I'm slipping in my comprehension. I'm reading the same amount but I feel like it's just not clicking as well and I'm not sure why. Should I take a break/lower my workload or just keep trying to push through?

I don't rly do anki

get some modafinil and read more.

if anyone was curious about the difference between 鳥 and 烏

I'm curious about her. she is hot

Cakes make the best love interests.

>japanese friend offered to teach me "the Japanese that my notebook won't teach"

what does it mean??

it means he is going to take your money and teach you stupid slang phrases

stay away

He'll scream Japanese phrases and slang a gaijin would most likely never come across while milking a green card out of your cock.

Or "she", I don't know

Slang and super casual, plus some omission of several grammar rules that nobody actually cares about.

Either that or sex.

Great! Only 501 reviews to go now.

If you can do that well after such a long break I assume you've been reading a lot, in which case there's not much point finishing Core2k in the first place. Just delete your deck and start mining stuff that's actually hard for you

If you're not understanding it then is it really helping you? If you are bored and trying to get through it as fast as possible then comprehension is going to decline. It's not a race, if you don't understand it then take the time to figure it out. Or find something you ARE interested in enough to make the effort.