How come mainstream rock died, Sup Forums?

How come mainstream rock died, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hLqPObiutWY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_(Taylor_Swift_album)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_'n'_Dry
huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/mainstream-music-is-about_n_1069230.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Glad it died

the fuck is airbourne

They all sold out, especially Coldplay which had some hot ass songs early on and U2 which also did.

REM was good up until the time it broke up
Radiohead is still good

Also that Coldplay logo is the good Coldplay logo before Chris became full of himself and too happy

People discovered auto tune, time aligned drums, guitars, etc. And people realized that inoffensive, sweet, bubblegum songs performed by cute people are easier to sell and make.

Record labels didn't want to fund it anymore because pop is easier to produce and market as well as more profitable.

If illegal downloading killed rock, it would have also killed off country and hip-hop, yet I see no signs of those dying out. It happens to every genre eventually, when it stops reflecting today's world. Once upon a time, jazz/big band/crooners/rockabilly/doo wop were also huge.

Why beat around the bush? Rappers and their ilk like trap and EDM killed rock. Rappers and DJs are the new rock stars and have been for years now. The last time rock had any kind of mainstream relevance was in the mid-2000s. If Napster killed rock, it would have done same with rap and EDM. No, it just got played out and tired. People want to dance and have fun, not rock out. Maybe that's the reason why Rock died.

Dumb ideas. As you said, rock was healthy and alive up to 10 years ago long after hip-hop was established as a genre. Where rap & hip-hop really screwed up was shunning artists like Blondie, Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, Rick Ruber, 3rd Bass, etc. because they were WHITE....see, alienating a whole group of people that make up 75% of the US population and most of its purchasing power is not too smart and definitely not a good marketing technique.

Rock has died off because the record industry prefers pop and EDM for the simple reason that these are radio friendly and also appeal to women, and women just plain buy more music. Also by nature, women like mellower music and mellow music translates into radio play, thus $$$.

Plebs never know

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ

It's still around. Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Muse, etc. are all incredibly successful.

>Rock has died off because the record industry prefers pop and EDM for the simple reason that these are radio friendly and also appeal to women
no you dumb shit
you know how expensive it is to fund a rock band compared to some kid with his macbook pro.
the time it takes a rock band to record an album
some pop/edm/hip hop band already shitted out 3 mixtapes and a studio album on the way,.
supply and demand killed rock

the music industry has undergone a drastic transformation to the point where it's unrecognizable from 40 years ago, but actual rock music is as healthy as ever. You don't need $200K and 6 months to record a killer album any more, you can do it at home with a few hundred bucks worth of gear.

Indeed

youtube.com/watch?v=hLqPObiutWY

>REM was good up until the time it broke up

Piss off Montie you know New Adventure in Hi-Fi was their last good album

>these anons at the same time saying the exact same thing, yet also the complete opposite thing

I'm with Montie on this (can't believe I just said that). All REM albums are at least pretty good except for Around the Sun.

There's plenty of great bands out there if you know where to look...but if you were expecting to find young bands of today that resemble AC/DC, Van Halen, or Kiss, you'd come up empty-handed.

Rock is dead, man. It's been dead for some time. You go to a concert now and it's bland family entertainment where weed is prohibited and the only stuff you can have is overpriced booze and they sell a ton of expensive merch and there's lots of aging mulletheads there with their kids and their old "Dokken Tour '86" shirts they pulled from the closet.

good drugs destroyed rock
it's hard to be angry on molly and good weed

Or as put it:
>People discovered auto tune, time aligned drums, guitars, etc. And people realized that inoffensive, sweet, bubblegum songs performed by cute people are easier to sell and make.

I'm 52 (yah shoot me I'm old) and when you hear guys like Gene Simmons (Kiss always sucked btw) talk about how rock is dead, he just means there's no market anymore for the lame poodle rock he used to peddle which was popular with dumbass little tween kids in the 1970s.

From listening to alternative stations, I learned of the Black Lips, Tame Impala, Deerhunter, White Denim, Ty Segal, Dirty Projectors, Art Brut, Foxygen, Father John Misty,Guided by Voices. Just like how 25 years ago I learned about Modest Mouse, Pixies, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Beck, and more.

I can tell you, mainstream commercial rock was never good even in rock's golden age in the 70s-80s. You had to dig to find the good stuff back then just like now.

Right, but the point is that what's "radio friendly" and thus what women are buying changes. 15 years ago top-40 radio had numetal and post-grunge. It just changes with the times, eventually it'll cycle through and more rock will be on the radio again.

Whether rock is truly dead is debatable, I just think the industry chose to focus on easy, lazy pop music with guaranteed returns.

>Dead Kennedys
>Mainstream

I'm just imagining a hundred years from now when academia has caught up to music we listen to now and they're all playing prog while kids are listening to some insanely complex multi-dimensional VR music that old people just don't get.

Man, it was always like that. In 1985, "mainstream" rock was pop rock garbage like Def Leppard. Those bands were a joke and they were every bit as aimed at tween girls as Taylor Swift is today. You weren't gonna find The Pixies or the Minutemen on MTV back then.

Mainstream rock died after the early 1970s desu. After that, the real stuff was all underground and "mainstream" rock had turned into pop garbage for little kids.

Mainstream rock is so fucking boring nowadays. Boring frontmen with generic voices, boring guitar riffs and a serious lack of good hooks. People still love 70s, 80s and 90s rock, and it's not just nostalgia, it genuinely is far better than any rock music put out today.

You forgot the obligatory Justin Bieber is ghey comment, Youtube boy.

I know that. We had a thread earlier about the loathsome puke that was 70s buttrock (eg. REO Speedwagon and Journey).

80's rock and metal are absolutely more impressive than modern pop. The talent required is far beyond your average radio song today, honestly not even close.

I count 6 fantastic bands, a few more good ones and a whole hell of a lot of mediocrity.

>You don't need $200K and 6 months to record a killer album any more

>anymore
The Ramones spent $6500 on their first album, which started a revolution and began a whole new chapter of rock history. Springsteen recorded Nebraska in his home on a 4 track player. Nirvana recorded Bleach for $600.

Generally speaking, if you can afford a multimillion dollar album budget, you're probably already a sellout.

Yeah...it takes a lot of talent to write a Def Leppard/Poison song.

>play basic chords
>play squeal guitar solo
>generic lyrics about fucking groupies

Way more sophisticated than Taylor Swift, eh?

the internet wasn't around those days

Look, i'm not saying all music today sucks, or that rock on the whole is inferior to back in the day. I'm talking mainstream rock music. Back in the early-mid 90s you had Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Greenday, NIN, Oasis, Jane's Addiction etc. all at their peak. Who is there now? Mumford & Sons? Vampire Weekend? Fucking shite m8.

Well first, you picked two shit examples. More importantly, yes. Those songs require more talent to compose and perform than a Taylor Swift song. A lot of those solos from 80's songs were very difficult btw

Lol

The point being good music in the 1970s didn't need giant budgets either.

A whole bunch of the bands you listed are inane, commercialized buttrock.

how come def leppard needed more writers than taloy swift did?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_(Taylor_Swift_album)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_'n'_Dry

>Those songs require more talent to compose and perform than a Taylor Swift song
This is a troll, right?
>A lot of those solos from 80's songs were very difficult btw
Also a troll. Most of those bands just copied a few of Eddie Van Halen's more obvious and easy tricks.

Though you can argue that rock guitar is really pretty simple on the whole compared to, say, classical guitar which can get _really_ technical. Playing a single note at high speed isn't exactly the height of technicality.

It was never alive.

>A whole bunch of the bands you listed are inane, commercialized buttrock

Ok fair but at least they gave kids the illusion of having a counterculture.

No it's not a troll. I'm comparing them to Taylor Swift, not classical guitar music.

You clearly don't play guitar btw. If some 80's solos did feature mostly playing one note at high speed, it is a small minority. A lot of them are fast, difficult and impressive. Also "Eddie Van Halen's easy tricks"

Lets here your guitar buddy.

t. hipster faggot

Crap, the punk revolution in the 70s was all about sweeping away the stale edifice of prog and buttrock. REO Speedwagon and Kansas were hardly "dangerous", "edgy" rock-and-roll.

No, I'm just telling you what was said in and

>implying 5 finger death punch is good
>implying theory of a deadman is good
>implying breaking benjamin is good
>implying disturbed is good
>implying volbeat is good
>implying tame impala ("rock" music) is good
>implying a7x is good
>implying slipknot is good
>implying hinder is good
>implying staind is good
Do I need to continue? Your argument is a cop-out, point to me 10 good modern rock bands from this decade that aren't centered around MUH NOSTALGIA or MUH BLUES RIFFS

iirc the issue Christgau had with 80s metal was that all those technical solos are exactly what rock-and-roll isn't supposed to be

>but those bands are buttrock hurr durr

and yet you make no argument against it lol.

t. le right generation

You said those bands are good, not me, hon.

all modern popular music is centered around blues you trashbag.

They were.

>as if all the 90s grunge bands weren't just ex-hair metal dudes who pretended to be angsty

Like any other era, the good stuff was played on college radio, not MTV. Mainstream music always was commercialized pop shit and it always will be.

>They all sold out, especially Coldplay
Coldplay was garbage from the get-go

The Hip-Hop community loves Rick Rubin and the Beastie Boys. Why the hell would anyone embrace Vanilla Ice though?

*tips*

Smashing Pumpkins might be the only band you listed with a single good song.

"Rock stars" are more of an ideal than a fixed genre of music. I mean, Kanye is as much a rock star of today as Led Zeppelin were in their time even though he's never touched a guitar.

Holy shit 25 is too old for this board. The generation z perspective is too strong.

So I'm just saying that the mainstream rawk of the 70s through 2000s was as much cheap, commercialized teenybopper crap as Justin Bieber, you just think it wasn't b/c nostalgia goggles.

Say Sup Forums was around in 1978. You think we'd be discussing the latest REO Speedwagon or Styx album? Probably not. We'd be laughing at those bands.

What instrument do you play and for how long?

Hey, you just gotta read some Christgau columns from the 70s. He ridiculed arena bands like Boston too. Nobody with any serious interest in music was into that shit, just a lot of tween girls.

reading comprehension is something you might want to get to work on, user.

not really. And you know exactly what I mean, Royal Blood-esque Black Keys esque boring pentatonic riffs that have been done to death by better bands years before.

>all

yeah you have 0 idea what you're talking about

I'd give you pj and aic but Soundgarden and Nirvana were most definitely not hair bands.

I never said they were. In fact Kurt was unhappy with the pop rock sound on Nevermind and tried to get away from that on In Utero. Also he said that PJ and AiC were corporate frauds.

>as if all the 90s grunge bands weren't just ex-hair metal dudes who pretended to be angsty
>as if all
>all
>all
>all

>not really. And you know exactly what I mean, Royal Blood-esque Black Keys esque boring pentatonic riffs that have been done to death by better bands years before.

Royal Blood is just ersatz dadrock anyway.

Yeah that was pretty hilarious how dumb idiot Gen Xers thought AiC and Hole were edgy when they were playing at Lolapalooza sponsored by Coca-Cola and Adidas.

In the Internet age, you can't be so easily duped by that anymore.

all rock is ersatz now is my point, even the beloved tame impala. Right generationers will deny it to appear cool but I have yet to hear of an exciting and GOOD and ORIGINAL rock band from recent times in this thread.

Just go in some Sup Forums rec threads and stop watching VH1 countdowns. You'll never get anywhere that way.

>New Adventure in Hi-Fi
Bullshit. The only one I won't defend at all is Collapse Into Now but they probably didn't care by then.

huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/mainstream-music-is-about_n_1069230.html

>Pop and rap music has evolved into a shallow, image-obsessed industry that conforms to what the public wants to hear and see, eliminating the focus on the actual music. Mainstream music is no longer composed of emotion, but instead themes of money, sex, and fame. Pop and rap performers are notorious for their run-ins with police, their latest diet, or their most recent affair. Photos and rumors fly while the music is ignored

>has evolved _into_ a shallow image obsessed industry

Nostalgia goggles are truly a blinding thing.

All the mainstream rock from 30 years ago did was take stuff done by underground bands and make it cleaner, neater, and more pop-friendly. That was never where the edge or innovation was.

If it's so easy why don't you do it?

Wait, why are you going to a Dokken/Poison/Leppard gig in 2016? You deserve what you get.

>that conforms to what the public wants to hear and see,
NOPE

This is what's known as the "chef fallacy", which means "You must be a professional chef to know that your food sucks and tastes terrible."

Outside of Bruce Springsteen, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Bowie, Social Distortion, Beastie Boys & Rolling Stones you have your answer right in that picture. All those bands/ artists are trash.

And even then, most of those artists you listed at later points in their career turned into teenybopper pop garbage for example 80s Bowie.

>Rock is dead
Just because rock has lost its status as the music industry's golden child for radio play, that doesn't mean nothing good is being produced. That only makes it more difficult to find.

Old guy here.

About the aging mulletheads he talks about, you should probably understand that a lot of them were not Dokken or Leppard fans back in the day, in fact they probably would have liked to see Kerry King shoot Don Dokken in the face with a crossbow. They're really just going there for the, ahem, "80s retro experience" and pretend they'd been huge fans of Dokken since 1983.

I was there, so I know what I'm talking about.

Sonic Youth and Dead Kennedys aren't mainstream
they're not exactly unheard of either, but not mainstream

Of course. All OP is saying is he misses the days of mainstream pop rock for tween girls when the good stuff in 1985 was every bit as underground as it is in 2016.

Mainstream tween girl pop is the same as always, it's just that record labels prefer to do it in a format not centered around guitars now.

Holy god, Sup Forums is more underage than I could have possibly imagined.