/jazz/

jazz general thread, christmas edition

What have you been listening to? What'd you think of it?

Link to this week's Christmas themed /blindfold/:
www97.zippyshare.com/v/7dqICrqf/file.html
Last Friday's thread: rbt.asia/mu/thread/S69699040

Sup Forums jazz guides:
imgur.com/a/vGtuD

resources:
>History of Jazz: pastebin.com/megRCyA7
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz
Penguin guide to jazz: www120.zippyshare.com/v/jjlJjls2/file.html
releases and news:
jazztimes.com/
ejazznews.com/
allaboutjazz.com/

radio
accuradio.com/jazz/

yt:
youtube.com/user/jazznbluesexperience
youtube.com/user/JavaJazzFest

dubtrack:
>like plug.dj but better: dubtrack.fm/join/the-jazz-room

Other urls found in this thread:

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB7AB8836B6173C1F
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.r/2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have any of y'all tried out Herbie yet?

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8

>What have you been listening to?
not much lately desu senpai, I'm monitoring this thread because I haven't listened to jazz for a while now and need something good to get back to it

I love you Herbie guy

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB7AB8836B6173C1F

who /avant garde/ here?

Still going through it.

About to listen to pic related.

I've been trying to learn good bait. It's very difficult for me.

I've got a song I wrote I play every day. I've come up with two playing techniques as well. Trying to play things on guitar that I hear on piano.

Fly me to the moon is new in my repertoire, should be a crowd pleaser. I've been exercising my vocal chords, I can recognise a fifth or forth or go up in tones and semi tones. Nothing doing till next year, even then what?

I was going to complain that this wasn't Hub-Tones but it actually was.

It's a great record. I was really captivated by OTC, particularly the first few times I heard it. It's like distilled funk.
Best Hubbard record.
I mean, if it'd been Miles Smiles or Speak no Evil would you have still complained? Not as there's a shortage of great records with him as a sideman.

Opinions on Wynton Marsalis?

His opinions are bad but his music is decent.
Branford>Wynton=Jason>Delfeayo

I'm SURE you will all agree with me on this.

>Fly me to the moon
I also play and sing this one. The progression is fun and the whole thing is pretty malleable which I like cause I'm not good enough to embellish more difficult tunes effectively.

It's great innit, it plays itself

Been listening to Don Ellis a lot recently, both on How Time Passes and on George Russell's Ezz-Thetics (which also has amazing work by Dolphy). I'm definitely going to explore him further, the microtonal stuff really interests me.

Also been relistening to a comp of Early Ellington I've got and discovering how fucking cool all the soloists were - especially Johnny Hodges and Barney Bigard. Ellington was the fucking man.

>how fucking cool all the soloists were
Best thing about the Ellington orchestra. The arrangements and tunes were great but there were so many distinct personalities in the band that went into creating the sound of the group.
I've consequently gotten really emotionally invested in a lot of the stories behind Ellington records like the Newport gig or AHMCHB or Money Jungle(not an orchestra album, but still). He had a pretty incredible career.

I love George Russell, really underrated. Check out Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature

That new Sun Ra singles anthology is really great. Been digging a lot of the tracks on there.

What were your favorite 2016 jazz releases?

I really liked Aruan Ortiz- Hidden Voices and Flaga- Book of Angels 27

Henry Threadgill - Old Locks and Irregular Verbs

This dude is insane

I made a thread about it earlier, but I have been going through the two big compilations of his that have the master takes of his Verve/Dial/Savoy stuff and it's been good stuff so far.

Considering that pre-59 jazz doesn't get enough love among "music buffs" is weird already, but that someone who's a;sp considered usually considered among the most top of jazz players and has such fantastic technique is next level baffling.

It's not like getting into the guy is hard either

The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes
The Complete Verve Master Takes

contains everything you really need to listen to from the guy, and each track is only two to three minutes long despite their complexities so it's easy to go through the stuff, too.

>pre-59 jazz doesn't get enough love
You've got to be joking man

Do you mean "A Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, the list goes on" type "music buffs"?
I don't think that's so surprising. They're usually looking for studio albums and don't so much care about jazz as they do about saying they listen to a wide variety of music.

All jazz fans respect him, just don't listen to him as much as the later ones because music wasn't recorded as well back then in the pre-album days and hasn't aged well.

Well?

Not even those guys, but many other jazz fans here in general. Their repertoire of jazz they listen to or have listened to is post-Kind Of Blue or occasionally post-The Shape Of Jazz To Come.

LP was introduced to markets in 48. Most of Parker's Verve stuff was from that time, and sounds fine. His Savoy/Dial stuff just edges into that, and does sound from an older time, but the mastering done to the comps is enough to where they are listenable. Sometimes modernizing entirely older recordings isn't the best idea. See Complete Hot Fives And Sevens compared to Hot Fives And Sevens

>Their repertoire of jazz they listen to or have listened to is post-Kind Of Blue or occasionally post-The Shape Of Jazz To Come.
The Shape of Jazz to Come was released less than two months after Kind of Blue...

Yeah my bad on that one. Idk why I keep thinking its 1957 for some reason

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.r/2016

Wisdom of Elders. Nice afro-spacey jazz.

Secret Meeting. Nice free improv album with one of my favourite current saxophonists, Travis Laplante

Also just started listening to an album called Anna Högberg Attack. It's pretty good, the bassist is incredible. As far as I know, Anna Högberg is like Mats Gustafssons protege.

Knick knack no

>many other jazz fans here in general
There is a bias towards more modern stuff alright but I think most jazz fans on here have at the very least heard the likes of Parker, Duke, Louis, etc. and most agree that they're great artists. Even if they don't get discussed too much. Like, all those guys have come up in /blindfold/ threads and they're pretty easily recognised and there's a lot of appreciation for them too.
Parker and Duke were actually on last year's Christmas playlist and most people recognised the two of them.