Hey Sup Forums, is time travel theoretically possible?

Hey Sup Forums, is time travel theoretically possible?

We are time travelling right now

The biggest proof that time travel doesn't exist is that there are no timeshifted individuals showing up in the present.

Forwards, yes.

Backward, probably not.

Just to question your idea. How would we time travel forward, the future has not happened yet.

Time isn't constant so yes you can make time pass slower as you approach the speed of light. The laws of entropy don't allow for time going backwards, and are the reason that time moves forward. Order to disorder.

Not the same guy.
But isn't there some theory that if you approach light speed then time slows down?
If that's the case you could technically "time travel" to the future, since time would be passing differently for you.

Do you want to step into counter-rotation string theory on the dynamics of the outer most layers of a black hole, quantum 3rd order molecular divisions or should me just make a Delores's joke and move on,

You are already travelling forward at a rate of 60 Seconds Per Minute.

>should me
>This guy

Speed and gravity affect time. If you were to orbit a black hole going very fast for a year, four years could pass on earth.

Time dilation. Travel near the speed of light and time slows down for you. Relative to your point of view you moved forward in time.

Astronauts that have spent a lot of time on the ISS have aged fractions of a second less than those on earth.

Look up Segei Avdeyev, he holds the record for the most time dilation experienced by a human.

Because it's relative. Your time progresses as normal, while your origin's timeline speeds up, and the faster you go, the more the timeline of your origin compresses. It's just how reality works. If you want to travel into the future more efficiently than 1second/second, then increase your speed relative to your origin, or wherever the fuck you want to experience the more distant future blah blah.

my guess would be a machine that warps gravity to make it more intense like a black hole so time moves much faster outside the machine compared to those inside

This
/thread

/thread

(Theory of Relativity)

Yeah, but obviously if you're an olympic runner or something like this you go a bit faster than that.

hnnngggg

But wouldn't it be too heavy?

If that's the case then it just sounds like a more complicated and expensive alternative to cryonics.
It'd literally have the same effect.

if we define time on Earth as how long it takes the Earth to revolve around the sun, then it's possible to warp around the Sun and come back before you left.

i'm just a traveller of space and time, in this ship called my body, on this journey called life

Cryogenics is different in that the matter that is you is still traveling through time at the same rate as everyone else, you're simply unconscious.

By traveling near the speed of light you are literally aging less than those on earth.

Imagine this, if you and a friend each had a stop watch. Your friend stayed on earth while you got in a spaceship and went around the earth close to the speed of light for a few minutes, then landed and compared. Her clock would be ahead of yours.

Time dilation would be a good place to start understanding this kind of stuff. As we're actually traveling forward in time. Now what is thinking of is most likely time dilation. Now time dilation is in no way time travel, but it could have similar effects. Black holes for example have such a strong gravitational pull that they warp time. So basically one 24 hour earth day in the orbit of a black hole could be 240 years or something (I don't know actual numbers). Anyways the real question is would we age? In this way our knowledge of time is very limited. You could theoretically come back to earth as a 300 year old person or you might die in less than a day. Would people age? Would 240 years feel like a day or the full time? There are many unanswered questions. They may go unanswered because I don't think there would be too many people lining up for the opportunity to be stretched and crushed to death since the reality of being swallowed by a black hole is probably not as nice as the spooky library scene from Interstellar.

It'd have the same effect though...
Time and life would go one normally for everyone else, while you're isolated away in a tank/ship.
I don't see any real difference.

>By traveling near the speed of light you are literally aging less than those on earth.
You're still aging at the same pace on your clock

yeah unless you could make the intense acceleration of gravity cancel itself out like a bubble of gravity around you and the machine making you feel nothing while still being in a immense gravitation field

One problem to overcome is the law of conservation of energy. If you take your matter(energy) and put it in the past/future, you'd be removing energy from one time period and added it to another. Our current knowledge of physics frowns up on this.

Jesus fuck. Learn some Physics. To test Einstein, they even put an atomic clock on a plane and another, synchronized one stationary on land.

Since the one in the plane is moving faster, it experiences time slower than the stationary one.

tl;dr you can only, for now or maybe forever, only travel forward in time by moving extremely fast or being in a huge gravity well.

Moving backwards in time explicitly violates ALL observations of entropy.

Faggots, time and space are both facets of one thing, and you cannot move through either unless you move in both, as they are indivisible.

That being said, quantum teleportation has been achieved in the lab, which means that forward jumps in spacetime are no longer theory.

It's a fact. Given that time is traversable as an aspect of spacetime, it is traversable in any direction. This means 'sideways' too, which you will best understand as interdimensionality.

This present has, is, and will be, very carefully engineered to produce the most desirable future: an eternity spent in each other's good company.

Protip: people skills will be the only thing that matters. Get some

>It'd literally have the same effect.
Except for the fact that cryogenics is bullshit. Irreparable damage happens to cell walls during the act of freezing because water expands when it freezes. Animals that can survive freezing (some frogs, for example) have enzymes in their cells that prevent the water from fully freezing so their cells don't rupture.
The only way you will wake up in the future is if we get to the point where we can speed-grow a new cloned body for you and copy all of your memories into it from your still-frozen brain. And even then, you don't actually wake up. There's just a clone of you living in the future that believes it is you. You stay dead.

>Given that time is traversable as an aspect of spacetime, it is traversable in any direction.

Assuming assumptions there

haven't we been over this? YES it is theoretically and practically possible, but only to the future, not the past.

If you did figure out how to go to the past, you would only ever go to a past that would effectively begin an alternate past, so if you then went "back" to the future from that alternate past, you would not be in the same "present" that you started from...From everyone else's perspective, you simply disappear from this "present" and aren't heard from again.

>assuming that time is something more but an imaginary process maybe it would be

Well they made a veggie hamburger, not a hamburger but they still call it a hamburger.

Who the fuck cares if I'm dead, but my memory lives on, it beats being a dead vegetable compared to being a fake hamburger.

Humans will master human cryogenics long before we get anywhere near time travel though.

This. If you were, for example, traveling at or near the speed of light away from Earth for an hour, then make a u-turn and come back to Earth at the same speed, 2 hours would have passed for you, but waywaywayway more time will have passed on Earth. So, you effectively "time traveled" into the future.

There's no known way to go back in time.

>Hey Sup Forums, is time travel theoretically possible?
>asking Sup Forums

KEK. No morons on this site will be able to answer that question, you fucking idiot.

travel to the pass yes but travel to the future is possible, See the fucking interstellar movie you fagget.

Ya, not faggots like you, why don't you go kek on that faggot.

Fuckeking faggot

Viable cryogenics may become a thing in the future, sure, but would require geneticially modified human from birth. No one alive today, and certainly no one who's already frozen, will ever survive cryogenic freezing and thawing.

just watch Interstellar you fucking retard.

Kekedy kek kek, kek

All of the astronauts have traveled into the future...just not by very much.

end of debate

... ya, past time travelers could be coming into their future (our present) but arent, dumbass.

>mad because I crushed all those attempting to answer in one reply

KEK.

That movie didn't make sense to me dawg, I'll have to watch again.
Clam or oyster shitty sea analogies

In a quantum universe it is likely in some extent. Is it relevent, usefull, or accessible?

you can't be that retard.

Using the word kek ≠ big weeny

it's just super unlikely that anyone from the past had the technology to make it into our present (except for the aforementioned astronauts)...considering we presently don't have any practical technology that will bring us a significant distance into the future...say 50 - 100 years

Quantum teleportation shows that spacetime is traversable. There is only time and engineering that prevent our moving in all directions.

Natively, we can only move forwards through space. No matter which direction you travel in, you are moving forward, and time shows that.

Quantum teleportation moves 'sideways' as it does not travel, not like when we walk or drive. The entangled state just appears.

This means that spacetime is traversable in all directions, even though we only can measure and observe this effect in our native, forward-moving state.

KEK

That wasn't very nice, you're a big meanie!

>you cannot move through either unless you move in both, as they are indivisible.
This is true in more ways than one. There's no point in trying to make a time machine out of anything other than a spacecraft.
Why?
Because we're orbiting our sun at well over 60,000mph. If you were able to spontaneously jump forward or backward in time even only a minute you'd find yourself drifting in space a thousand miles from where you started from.

shitty movie or not, it's the perfect movie for dumbies to understand how speed and gravity can make you travel to the future.

I ain't no gotdamn in'jun

>tips fedora

Unless you and others can provide some credentials, you and others ITT are complete and utter morons for attempted to answer this question correctly. I mean, this is a debate that goes on among top physicist.

So, again, unless you can show your credentials coupled with proving your among the top physicists in the world, STFU!

Hence why I stated and ITT: pseudo intellectuals and physicists. KEK

/thread

sage

or more like "someone's future or some people's future".

agreed. /thread

Will watch again

Future ---> YES
Past ---> NO

Don't use kek

KEK

YOUR MAMA...
...travels through time.

KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK

Ur Weiner's small

If you could travel just one second into the past, you could effectively create unlimited copies of yourself. Unless reality has some "paradox dampening crumple zones" so to speak...

if you had a twin and you went to a space travel traveling almost as fast as the speed of light your time would pass a lot slower than yours twin's time, or if you spent time next to a black hole or a massive planet, went you come back to earth your twin probably had already died of old age and al the poeple you knew. it's quite simple, bro.

You really do make it sound so simple maestro, I congraduataue you.

Credentials will get you a job.

Einstein had no credentials when he understood spacetime was a thing, and getting a bunch of academic faggots to agree with me would alarm me, and be strong evidence I was wrong, as they are the very font of womyn's studies, rape culture, and sjwhood. It is impossible for men with sound minds to be so cucked, and therefore their credentials amount to acceptance of their utterly insipid judgement.

Basic physics can explain your question, user.

The down and dirty of actually doing it, however, are out of our reach (for now).

Time is not a fixed thing. It's relative, explained by Einstein's theory of relativity.

Gravity warps space and time around it. Think of a trampoline. If you were to put a bowling ball in the center, it would warp the trampoline to bend down towards the heavy ball in the center.

Time reacts the same way to gravity. It can be thought of as like an invisible material that everything is inside of.

Something like a black hole pulls immense amounts of gravity in to the singularity point in its center. That strong of a pull, that strong of a gravity, slows time (which again, is not an intangible, just-in-our-mind thing - it is part of existence. It's part of the fabric of space). It pulls it in. Less gravity, the less resistance on time itself.

So, someone floating on the ISS experiences far less gravity than you if you were to orbit that black hole. Time goes faster for them, slower for you.

If you orbited the BH for a good length of time, the person you return to visit on the ISS would not just have a watch out of sequence with you - they literally are in a future relative to you. They went through time faster than you.

If we're just thought experimenting, if the BH was large enough, and you spent enough time in it's time-dragging gravity, you could come back to Earth hundreds of years in THEIR future - but you are still in your own present.

Its all relative.

You must be a fun to be around at any social gathering, holy shit.

theoretically if you go faster than light then you would travel forwards in time

>assumption: no alien influence has given any humans the know-how.