What's your favorite album ever (any genre)?

what's your favorite album ever (any genre)?
>pic very related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HAIDqt2aUek
youtube.com/watch?v=JriuaAezuf4
youtube.com/watch?v=f7buxWtIPDM
albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xW2AKkwJb_c
youtube.com/watch?v=Le-CEBX_mn0
youtube.com/watch?v=9YYzx5PJIrg
youtube.com/watch?v=8s-LapyHHow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

...Like Clockwork is amazing but this still wins first place in my books.

thats not even top 3 QOTSA
it's good but top ever, what?

The rest of my musical taste is pretty shit. Also the first time I listened to Is This It I was stoned as shit and it blew my mind and I still get that feeling every time I listen to it.

It's almost a tie between this and Evocation 1 The Arcane Dominion

this is my fav album

image having taste this boring

how is worlds boring?

*imagine

fugg

Nigga, I know it's boring. The rest of my taste is even worse. I don't know what to do. The most non-mainstream music I listen to is Bill Callahan.

Would you say Rated R is top 3 QOTSA? cause i would.

>indie pop

worlds is a synthpop album. literally not indie pop. its EDM

Dude don't be such a cuck just like what you like, damm.

fight me

I honestly believe Baby Birch must be the most beautiful thing ever recorded. Despite being extremely long it has almost no dull or bad songs.

How is Porter Robinson any better than David Guetta or Calvin Harris? I'm gonna keep asking people this until I get a good answer

My #1

if you cant tell how porter robinson is better than fucking calvin harris and david guetta, than some user on Sup Forums wont be able to convince you either

sit down and listen to worlds from start to finish, the look up some generic festival banger from either of the other 2 then ask yourself that same question

who wouldn't

I didn't like it the first time I listen to it. Weird how things turn out..

>You just don't GET it! Listen to the whole album bro
I have yet to hear anybody articulate a convincing defense of Worlds

its well mastered, has lyrics that tell a story across multiple songs, the music video to flicker is creative but simple, the music video to sad machine is also simple but emotional and fits the lyrics, you can tell porter made fresh static snow, goodbye to a world, and sad machine when he was feeling down based on the atmosphere and meaning behind them

meanwhile calvin harris tops charts making formulaic, 140 bpm bouncy electro songs with shitty lyrics that mean nothing that he sung with his mediocre voice.

and david guetta is just literally garbage

I guess we have different philosophies about music, but I don't factor in music videos at all in my listening, I just hear the music. And I rarely consider music that isn't well-mastered, so that's a non-factor as well.

I hear a lot about how emotional Worlds is, and maybe it is emotional for a contemporary EDM album, but I'd say on the spectrum for music Porter Robinson falls pretty clearly on the "less-emotional" end along with the rest of his electro house peers.

"The Moment You Realize You're Going To Fall" I'm just preaching this, I god damn love this album so much it hurts. The style of delivery of vocals, energy delivered by the drums, tasteful guitar, and bass lines that send shivers down my spine.

i mentioned the music videos because it just shows that he cared about the album. thats noteworthy because i primarily listen to EDM, and 90% of artists make it just to make money. porter makes it because he wants to. its the only album/ep/lp ive ever heard that makes me feel genuine emotion. i feel like he actually told the story of loneliness through the lyrics and again, the videos. including shelter too.

and who in "electro house" displays emotion in their music? the only ones i can think of are mat zo, madeon, and k?d

I love this album, I don't really dig modest mouse but I think they killed it on this album. "teeth like gods shoeshine" makes me so happy

What even is this meme? Is it like Rob Leerveld in the sharethreads?

this

oh fuk, the instruments are killing it on this album. The singer kinda throws me off with his style but i can see it growing on me.

I'd say no electro house artist really deals with emotional themes, Robinson included. I feel there's better music out there if you want emotional catharsis, especially with regards to vocals.

It's nice if it's true that Robinson has good intentions, but I don't think his work is exceptional.

That being said I feel bad for picking a fight with you and I'm glad you appreciate the album for what it is.

I've recently been turned onto qotsa, Josh is a pretty amazing artist

im sure there are better artists if i want emotional feels, but since EDM is primarily what i listen to, i dont enjoy rock/pop/rap/hip-hop like everyone else does.

out of pure curiosity, how much of the album have you heard? did you just throw it on just to see if you liked it?

Damn its a hard one. I would say.
Songs for the deaf
Era Vulgaris
Rated R

^wut he said

cant fail with this pick. i love how long it is, so much fucking material here. Go Long and On a Good Day are highlights. One of my faves too

we dont talk about this album enough anymore. Its fucking perfect, has got a real variation to its sound that rock never seemed to give a shit about emulating afterwards

I listened to it several times a couple years ago when it came out before I decided I didn't enjoy it. I went from liked modern dance music to not listening to it at all. Now I listen almost exclusively to late 80's early 90's dance and pop.

you sound older than me then, so i dont know if you would enjoy it if it came out in 2014 and its 2 years later. i recommend giving it another shot. or at least, listen and watch the sad machine music video again. come in with an open mind, listen and read the lyrics, and just "feel" the song

youtube.com/watch?v=HAIDqt2aUek

solid choice
rose quartz has always been a favorite

I cannot get enough of this album. I don't care that it's unfinished. I love it for what it is.

I dunno, I have a hard time enjoying anything that doesn't sound really raw and has old synthesizers and lo-fi drum sequencing. Can't stand that really highly produced "slick" sound anymore. I'm too far gone, you'll have to enjoy it without me.

well im only 18 and im your average "raver" festival kid covered in kandi and all that shit, so its obvious our tastes are too far apart

Not that guy but you kind of box yourself in by only paying attention to one scene or genre of music. Branch out a bit. Have you listened to any of the other albums posted itt? There are so so many classics outside the sphere of EDM that you are limiting yourself from, in fact I don't even think EDM has produced any albums that really could be considered classics. We live in the internet age, you can listen to the best of any genre you want. Also EDM/rave shit is on its way out the door so you might want to move on.

Great pick. Still regret never seeing them live.
Personal favorite is Laboratories, not many things can provoque what that guitar solo does.

EDM hasnt been around long enough to produce classics per say. but i think worlds will be one that is considered "classic"

and ive tried branching out, trust me. when i was a faggy emo kid i listened to edgy shit like my chemical romance and all that, and honestly i didnt even like it, and nowadays i hate how i listened to it. every time i hear "dad rock" thats posted here a lot i hate it, i hate 99% of rap, 90% of hip-hop, 100% of country, and most pop. EDM is the only thing ive ever heard that i can actually listen to

trust me i love music and spend a lot of time looking for new shit, but it always leads me to enjoying what i already listen to

is this dude just talking to himself what is going on here

Nah, pretty sure they're two different people talking to each other

100% agree, there's so much awesome shit out there
have you ever listened to Modeselektor? My favorite electronic music atm, favorite song is Grillwalker

For me, there is no other possible answer and may never be.

I was about to post this, but I prefer the American release (basically the same)

i know of them, but its too boring for me. call me cringy for saying this, but despite the fact porter robinson is my favorite artist and worlds is my favorite album, 50% of what i listen to in general is music that exceeds 200 bpm. like speedcore, lolishit, hard-techno, splittercore, extratone, gabber. my music needs to be loud and fast, which is oxymoronic considering i love porter to death

Guy you were talking to here, I guess I'd recommend Air - Moon Safari, Tricky - Maxinquaye, and Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II if you want to get into older electronic artists that I consider emotive.

you prefer not having new york city cops?

aphex twin i like. but of course, who doesnt like aphex twin. also, see for what my tastes usually are

Air and Tricky aren't quite that fast, but I don't think you'd get bored listening to them.

been listening to moon safari for a few minutes since your post. and yeah, its too slow for me. doesnt capture my interest. maybe its because im a sperg with a short attention span, but in all the EDM i listen to, theres always something about it that my ears perk to and it keeps me listening.

like this shit, what captures me is the fast-paced synths and the hardcore kicks. keeps me coming back to it

youtube.com/watch?v=JriuaAezuf4

Have you considered maybe some industrial or power electronics?

youtube.com/watch?v=f7buxWtIPDM

Kind of a stretch but give it a shot. Check out the Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails if u like it

this is a step in the right direction. i like the distortion and the loudness, and how it just seems a bit violent. not sure if theres anything specific about it that would cause me to stick listening to it more than once, but it is an improvement

So good.

Do you like Ed Rush and Optical?

since i dont know who those people are, no.

if its an artist that still isnt popular past 2010, odds are i dont know who they are

Which version do you listen to. This is my favorite.

albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html

Pop on their album Wormhole and get back to me.

Damn, this is your fav already? Maybe it's arbitrary and dumb but I always feel like I have to have an album stick with me for at least a year or so before I call it my favorite.

nice

what is it with underage b& and this fucking bland alt rock shit?

Queens obviously peaked with their first three albums. I personally think the self titled is the best and most consistent.That fucking guitar tone on the first album alone is 10/10.

great taste user

I agree with you on the whole whole, but there are some great tracks on their other albums. It's not like it was a waste of time for them to record the rest.
IMO: Burn the Witch, In My Head, Little Sister, I Never Came is a fantastic stretch. (BtW is personal preference). From Era Vulgaris: 3s and 7s, River in the Road, and Run Pig Run. From Like Clockwork, My God is the Sun and I Appear Missing were great.

Btw, my favorite version of Avon, you've probably seen it before but whatever
youtube.com/watch?v=xW2AKkwJb_c

sounds like what would be if deadmau5 tried making hard techno or something. still too slow for me, the bpm seems to be 128 or slightly lower and is not my cup of tea

I listen to the 2011 release, I found that one to be my favorite. The one on Spotify.

what is it with old people and thinking that all new music is shit

get with the times grandpa

drukqs

entry level shit but its a case of it being good entry level. at least i think so.

have something faster and post 2010 cunt

youtube.com/watch?v=Le-CEBX_mn0

Still a perfect album

better. sounds like acid techno mixed with DnB

The problem isn't the super clean production. The songwriting just sucks. Porter Robinson isn't good. He's a Soundcloud producer with better than average mixing skills, sort of like the Chainsmokers.

>the chainsmokers
>like porter robinson

this is bait

Tell me how I'm wrong.

aw shit you actually like it? you have just reached the tip of the iceberg then my friend.

youtube.com/watch?v=9YYzx5PJIrg
youd probably quite like this album too by a more well known artist in the genre, his most recent.

youtube.com/watch?v=8s-LapyHHow
heres his current fav song of mine.

genre is called breakcore, its about taking dnb to its fastest and most insane and for the rest can draw from any genre but acid techno is a popular one. check out stuff under the "idm" label for stuff less focused on specifically chopping up drum breaks or whatever and frequently has more acid influence, aphex is the most well known of this type shit tho i assume youve heard his shit