Let's have a classical music thread

Let's have a classical music thread

Here are my top 5 favorite composers (excluding the obligatory Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart) to get discussion/recommendations/arguments/what have you rolling

Rachmaninoff
Chopin
Tchaikovsky
Debussy
Shostakovich

I will raise you

Medtner
Szymanowski
Scriabin
Faure
Ravel

Which version of Rach's 2nd Sonata do you like? I have to go with the revision. The first edition has too much junk in the trunk.

While I agree I do think the original is good. It is a bit superfluous but in a way I feel like that encapsulates his style; expressive through volume. That said, obviously his revision is more in line with what he wanted to express

Haven't heard much of szymanowski, anywhere to begin in your opinion?

>Haven't heard much of szymanowski, anywhere to begin in your opinion?
First thing would be Variation in b minor (Op. 3, I think)
The the last three preludes (Nos. 7,8,9 Op. 1)
After that Variation on a Polish Theme Op. 10

It should be a smooth transition if you like Chopin.

>Chopin
>not obligatory

What a pleb.

Anyway I study classical music but I don't think I've heard enough to say that I have any preference for lesser-known composers, however I like Ravel, Rachmaninoff and Mendhelsonn a lot.

I feel very ignorant talking about music despite being a piano student myself :/

Thanks dude!

Hey man, don't get me wrong, I love chopin, but BBM are in a league of their own and are almost universally considered the top three composers ever. I personally like chopin more than bach. If hi like chopin check out john field, especially his nocturnes. My favorite is the 8th, but the 2nd and the 11th are right behind it. All of his nocturnes are amazing though

Reich
Cage
Stockhausen
Satie
Chopin

>Hey man, don't get me wrong, I love chopin, but BBM are in a league of their own and are almost universally considered the top three composers ever. I personally like chopin more than bach. If hi like chopin check out john field, especially his nocturnes. My favorite is the 8th, but the 2nd and the 11th are right behind it. All of his nocturnes are amazing though

I don't think it's wrong to love Chopin (he was, in fact, my favorite classical composer until VERY recently) but IMO I think he enters into BBM-tier territory. He may not be completely mainstream like Mozart but anyone who has ever had any slight interest in classical music has heard Chopin, unlike, say, Ravel.

Don't isten too much to me though, like I said I barely know scraps about this.

Thoughts on Anton Webern/Herr Schoenberg?

It's less about knowledge and more about mastery with those three. Even if people don't realize it Rachmaninoff is arguably just as mainstream: his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are everywhere as is his theme on paganini. BBM, though, had such a wide reach that they have a masterpiece in virtually every type of composition. The fact that they have written masterpieces in the fugue, to me, is telling since no one (except bach) had any emotion except contempt towards writing those

>tfw no one cares about Schumann

I'm down with his Kinderszenen

His symphonies are awesome, with the 4th being my absolute favorite piece of music

>mfw studying Bach

Thank God my teacher is making me study Beethoven and Chopin to see if I motivate me again (left the piano for three years and I'm returning), because I fucking hate studying fucking Bach man. It's very frustrating to study even something as easy as an Invention.

No thank you, I'll keep playing Beethoven sonatas, thank you very much.

Mmm Beethoven's Sonatas bore me almost as much as Bach. Even Chopin is too straightforward at times.

I like how passionate Beethoven is even with the most simple of melodies and harmonies. It's not that I don't like Bach's music, but studying piano repertoire from Bach is a total bitch.

>tfw hands are big as Rach's ones, with slim, tampered fingers
>tfw can play the infamous Rach's chord (C; E-flat; G; C; G [with the left] and C–E–G–C–E [with the right])
>tfw my parents weren't strict enough, I've wasted my childhood and now I won't ever be able to exploit this god tier hands at a virtuoso level

Classical music is suffering

listening to Olivier Messiaen right now, it's great.

every time I post in these thread I get ripped up by classical music buffs

if they were wrong I wouldn't mind

I tried to learn the easiest invention but it was too hard for me. back to basic chopin nocturnes I go