Should I watch Babylon 5? I've been looking for some new sci-fi stuffy to watch...

Should I watch Babylon 5? I've been looking for some new sci-fi stuffy to watch, and I'm kinda interested in this show seeing all the costumes used for the aliens.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PlYEWWttdM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That depends, what have you have seen and what do you like?

Skip like 90% of the first season.

It's great. The special effects are pretty dated now, but it has some really excellent characters.

just watch ds9 senpai

DS9 is better, but both are worth watching

If you mean what sci-fi shows I've watched, I've seen
>Star Trek TNG
>Farscape
>Doctor Who
>Firefly

I like
>Farscape
>Firefly

shouldn't that be

>Who are you?
>What do you want?
>Why are you here?
>Where are you going?

Listen to this guy OP, the first season's MC's actor is pure garbage, over the top and theatrical. Just watch the first and the last episode so you won't be entirely out of the loop.

And have more patience than I had with the last season. The second to last season was super intense and when I started going through the final season it took like a dozen of episodes until something finally happened and I dropped the show out of spite.

Well Babylon 5 has more in common with TNG than the other three, but still not that similar. It focuses far more on long-term story arcs and character development.

Don't expect anything like Farscape or Firefly, B5 is pretty stuffy and takes itself very seriously most of the time. Still really good IMO, but know what you're getting into.

Is the stuffy stuff at least entertaining or just boring filler?

Sheridan is just as over-the-top if not moreso than Sinclair, the man is a total ham.

Season 1 is max comfy, I really like it. Also you're suggesting he skip Signs and Portents? Seriously?

Either watch everything or don't watch it at all.

obligatory

A little from Column A, a little from Column B. The further you get into the series, the more entertaining and important to the story it gets

K, thanks guy, I'll watch the first episode and see what happens

At the very least if you intend to skip stuff in the early parts, get a viewing guide that tells you which episodes have arc-important stuff that will come back up later.

Really though, if you want the most reward, you should watch it all, warts and all. When it gets good, then really good, it will be that much more satisfying because you've been with them through it all and learned everything about the characters.

>Really though, if you want the most reward, you should watch it all, warts and all. When it gets good, then really good, it will be that much more satisfying because you've been with them through it all and learned everything about the characters.
this

Most of the acting in the show is campy, this is 90s sci-fi after all. But rarely have I watched a show that's meant to be serious and laughed as hard as I did in his "everything has changed" scene where he gave a stern speech quickly followed by making out with his wife [I think that was in the season's last episode, I might be wrong though].

Sheridan may have been ham, but the whole season 4 was incredible in my opinion. His interrogation scenes coupled with Garibaldi's arch was beyond awesome if you ask me.

if you've seen all that and not seen Babylon5 that's a crime in itself

I was a fan of B5 when it was first on TV. I'm still a big fan and advocate of the series and recommend it to anyone to watch. I have all the series, movies, and Crusade on DVD and watch at least once a year. I was upset when they cancelled Crusade. I was even kinda maudlin and put off watching the last of the TV movies, knowing that I would never see any more new B5 again.

That said, I never have nor do I feel the need to watch Legend of the Rangers.

Ever.

Your position on The Lost Tales?

Watch it. It's worth it. The CGI is dated but the space battles still better than Star Wars or Space Shopping Mall 9.

> his "everything has changed" scene
Found it!
youtube.com/watch?v=7PlYEWWttdM

From 37:22 onward. Apparently it was "nothing's the same anymore" but that's what a fuzzy memory does to a man. Still funny after all these years.

I'll add a second to this, and an addendum. As B5 was concieved as a whole and not written along the way, there are a lot of intentional little things that JMS put throughout the series that tie in to storylines later on (i.e. Garibaldi being told repeatedly throughout season one to watch his back...). This makes quite a few of the early episodes kinda meh, but with one or two important trinkets. Just watch the whole thing and be thankful for it.

Currently watching the first episode, can already tell it's gonna have some good jokes seeing the whole Centauri things at the begining

Are JMS' other tv shows worth watching if I like B5?

>Lost Tales
The sign hurts us. We cannot hear the machine.

I like Babylon 5 a lot, but you need to get through Season 1 first and also appreciate that it is pretty low budget, even though the CGI was alright for the time.

Season 1 isn't actually bad, it's a lot better watching it a second time after watching the rest of the series.

Purple.

Green.

The correct answer, the Ivanova Approach.

Holy shit the intro makes it look like a commercial for a hotel

>Sheridan may have been ham, but the whole season 4 was incredible in my opinion.
Oh I agree, the fourth season is fantastic. What makes it so great is that JMS was forced to speed up the story because he thought it would be canceled, which is why it's the most fast-paced and exciting of the seasons. Of course, this is also the reason why season 5 is so damn mediocre.

>Wait, we're getting another season? What the fuck are we supposed to do now?

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

When I first watched it, I thought the music was so fucking overbearing and weird. It becomes a lot better when you get used to it desu, it's actually pretty good sometimes and not just the wallpaper music of Star Trek.

One of the cool things about B5 is that when I first watched it, I thought Sinclair's actor was lame as fuck but when you know his back story as well as the actor's real life problems while shooting the show, it's a great performance.

The new stuff? No.

I like Sinclair a lot, more than Sheridan or that chick captain whose name I can't remember

Yeah, finding out the truth after Michael O’Hare died made everything both make sense, and all the more tragic.

You don't really start to appreciate Sinclair until the end of Season 1 and the shit he has seen.

That's why S1 is a ton better after watching the rest of the series.

What you can expect.
Pros: decent action
Great looking sets and makeup
God tier overarching plots
Great characters perhaps some of the best ever on a SciFi show
Cons
The CGI
Some boring episode s you will have to power thru
The CGI
Horrible acting from guest stars
The CGI

>"nothing's the same anymore"
Hmm, funny story. Just after September 11th I found myself thinking about that quote, and that it stuck with me the most. My 18-year-old self realizing the haunting that those words can hold, and how I then knew exactly what he felt.

lol