Moving to Hawaii in two months. I've got a place setup for decent rent. Any advice? Tips? Things to be aware of?

Moving to Hawaii in two months. I've got a place setup for decent rent. Any advice? Tips? Things to be aware of?

Other urls found in this thread:

hulu.com/watch/61234
youtube.com/watch?v=6spBu2XAk4A
youtube.com/watch?v=VujGKo8eo5w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Native
youtu.be/2UjY_27HlXw
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5P8PHwI_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which Island/city?
I'm currently stationed on Oahu and it kinda blows.
Your experience will highly depend on where you live, your job, and your race.

Your photo is reversed.

Be prepared to pay out the ass for milk.

Do the Hawaiians actually whites? Is it difficult for a white person to live there?

Get a Kama'aina card at Foodland. Milk will be cheaper.

No, just show respect.

Kona, Hawaii
HVAC/R Apprentice
White boi

Costco .ready

OP here yeah they do its hella funny.

Good looks bubs.

Maui faggit here... you will learn how to concerve money real quick. It's one of the harder things to adjust to is the cost of everything.

Also, don't end up homeless.. make sure you have enough money to get back to the mainland if you run into trouble.

Don't know much about the big island. Oahu is fine for whites if you just show respect. Certain parts of the island outside the main cities and towns are hostile to whites (especially military like myself). I'd assume it's similar to Oahu in that sense. If you stay in Kona and Hilo you'll be fine. It's not like they'll hurt you or anything but they might steal shit out of your car and I was actually denied service at a restaurant on the North side of the island because they could tell i was military from my haircut.

Used to live in Napili. Honolulu now. Waves are better here, but i do miss Honolua Bay.

Damn.

As long as you respect people and culture you should be okay.
Oahu born and raised

I stay on South side so I rarely get up there when it's pumping unfortunately .... Watching people ride Jaws is where it's fucking at though.

Going to Kona eh? Cool, I have family out there and have visited a couple of times. Things to be aware of: If you are a good/honest worker you will go far there. There are WAAAAYYY too many people who are lazy AF and/or into drugs/alcohol. Two of my brothers lived in Kona for awhile and were managers of a Subway. They told me it was almost impossible to get good employees cause people would "call in sick" all the time, get in late, show up high, etc. Also, Island life is slow paced man. Idk where you come from, but it's really different. Also, echoing the comments of "be prepared to pay extra for groceries".

I'm currently living in Hilo, I have to admit most of my friends are white and most of them practice our cultural values.

Best advice is to make a solid local friend, that will slingshot you years ahead of others wanting to settle here.

I can't say this is wrong or right because the lifestyles are different in Kona vs Hilo, being in Kona is like being in Florida.

I have great work ethic. I am coming from Seattle, WA. Thanks for the /adv/

Moving in with my cousin who has been there six years.

Yes, get to know some locals. I found my current apartment because my friend is related to fucking everybody and can hook you up with almost anything. I was looking at being homeless for God knows how long after I had to leave my old place until I let her know I was apartment searching.

Found a studio under $1000....for real hard to find.

Hrrm I've heard this story all too often, just met this single mom and her two girls and helped them get a place. Really fantastic people those girls. But I'm glad you were helped, I hate seeing people on the street needlessly.

hulu.com/watch/61234

The Rock in Hawaii...a classic clip

You'll have fun here aside from paying out the ass for every important we have. But listen up to your cousin though.

Aloha can mean many things...like SUCK IT haha...

Born and raised Oahu, so I'll just give you a brief run down. (I'm no pro, but this is just what I learned)

-Milk is like 6-7 dollars here
-Rent is usually like 1000 or higher. ESPECIALLY if you live in the city - People here are extremely nice
-There's a lot of white people here, you will fit in fine

Native Hawaiian here, moved off Oahu to Washington for school and I like it here, shit's way cheaper. Might move back in a few years, though. Starting to get homesick.

Can't emphasize enough to show respect to kānaka ōiwi, high school friends and I were shitty kids and harassed whities a lot as much as I hate to admit. Stick around major cities like Honolulu if you don't want to get harassed by locals, because trust me we don't want you here. It's pretty xenophobic, yeah. Not gonna lie about that.

Don't trust Ben Linus.

Nor Jack's beard.

Also born and raised here and part Hawaiian, but still here. I agree. There's a lot of "aloha spirit" to be found, but a lot of locals definitely have animosity toward haoles. People don't honk their horns as much so if you do that a lot then you'll stand out. Get used to a lot of Asian culture. Be respectful.

Brah you ain't alone with that Skeleton, brought up by my father to hate whites for no reason other than them being white.

But to be honest the islands are getting far worse these days I'm literally surprised with how many shootings we've had lately.

I keep hearing "be respectful". What constitutes disrespect other than just general asshatery?

I'm from here and I just hate white people that live here for a year and think they're local when everyone just looks at them like an annoying outsider. I have lots of white friends that are chill af so it has nothing to do with the race itself, just the personality.

Go watch the movie "THE NORTH SHORE". Turtle will tell you everything you need to know.

Yeah I get that a lot. I feel like most natives don't give a fuck as long as we don't start acting hawaiian. Like going into compton and acting black. Its not just disrespectful, it's fucking stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=6spBu2XAk4A

Yes for the most part this, you will be corrected along the way so don't worry too much about it.

But also keep in mind that, sadly, Hawaiians are a minority. By 2025, Filipinos are projected to make up the largest ethnic group in the islands.

Since Hawaii is so diverse, culture plays a huge part of peoples' lives so you have to be more aware of that. Don't fuck with the wildlife like turtles and monk seals. We take our shoes off before going in houses because of the Asian culture.

Oh, and they're called SLIPPERS NOT FLIP FLOPS

youtube.com/watch?v=VujGKo8eo5w

Watch this SouthPark episode: it'l give you some good ideas as to what NOT to do
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Native

This is pretty much a great outline of what being a complete asshat looks like to us.

youtu.be/2UjY_27HlXw

youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5P8PHwI_4

Oh shit I used to loveeee that video lmao. Mainland people wouldn't even get it though really

Basically don't be an asshole and you won't have any issues with the people. In general they're super nice, just try not to be obnoxiously touristy.

Don't go in the water within 10 days after a full moon, apparently the box jellyfish come close to shore during that time.

If you leave your shoes or anything outside, make sure to shake them out. Brown widows, cane spiders, large centipedes, and scorpions would love to hide in a damp, warm spot.

Check out beaches and trails here, there are more than enough things to keep you busy. My personal favorite is probably electric beach, superb snorkeling spot.

Waikiki has an amazing night life. Bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.

The legit nightlife is in Chinatown though. I usually avoid Waikiki, although some of the places are nice af of course like Sky Waikiki

Yeah, I tend to agree actually, rumfire and sky are okay but O'Toole's is my go-to place.