/daily/ listening thread- christmas 2016 edition

happy holidays, everyone! what records do you hope Santa brings you?

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>chat room shenanigans and """good""" music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

our previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/sondrelerche/into-you-ariana-grande-cover
youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA
youtube.com/watch?v=LcMqB8ENXEo
youtube.com/watch?v=MdrEEdOYhiw
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/11111111111/1a1l1b1u1m111111/
rateyourmusic.com/~Holms
safeasmilkfestival.com/sam17
youtube.com/watch?v=4DAMzsoNjlk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jurg_frey_radu_malfatti/ii/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ensemble_si_nuan_thung_pong/chang_saw__village_music_of_northern_thailand/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tak-shindo/mganga_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/1_2_japanese/loud/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I got Insect Warfare's Noise Grind Power Death EP in the mail the other day, and Sondre Lerche put out his annual christmas gift- a cover of a pop song! this year, it was an Ariana Grande song. I like it.
soundcloud.com/sondrelerche/into-you-ariana-grande-cover

What's new with everyone else?

Christmas is for nerds

Merry Christmas you fuckbois
Buncha nerds

Merry Christmas tho

What's your room look like right now, /daily/?

#
Mrr is only print, but ill upload a scan when i get a copy. Not sure which issue it will be in

this image will always be daily's crowning achievement

Pretty messy desu
Sweet! Definitely post once you get a copy!

w2c Haino's watch

finally acquiring public strain on vinyl, I'm gonna spend christmas staring at it

(do you keep your weed in that Altoids case there my dude?)
:^)

Also Jojo's bizarre adventure is really satisfying to watch
also music

ooh boy I've got some dust-to-digital comps with my name on them tomorrow

also I need to listen to faheys Christmas album tomorrow because I somehow never have

and a James Ferraro release because he's accidentally been a Christmas tradition of mine

oh dude speaking of sondre I played faces down to my mom while Christmas shopping and she dug it

and I dug it a lot more than I used to

Nah, guitar stuff

Weird looking weed.

indeed

Morning lads! It's Christmas eve!
What is Santa bringing you tonight?
Me I want either a pig or a death ray.

I don't even post in /daily/ I just wanna wish you all merry christmas

I am definitely recieving a pool to sit in to beat the 40 degree heat

Only way I get what I'm getting what I ask for this year is if I ask for coal

Jesus christ don't tell me there's two Aussies in /daily/ oh GOD.

Haven't recieved anything yet for Christmas, but I'll post when I get gifts. Usually, it's records or a piece of musical equipment.

Love Sondre

Another first listen review:
>Polysemy - Ambedo
Polysemy claims in the description of his album that he intended on making a "chillwave-house-bossanova fusion". To an extent, I can hear the bossanova sounds that he is trying to garner influence from, but this sounds more like a blend of chillwave, ambient, Animal Collective, and "slacker rock", like that of Mac DeMarco, especially in that of the guitar tones. This is not to deter Polysemy, mind you. I found it to be a good album that blends well and cohesively. If you like the music that influences Polysemy, I think you'll like this album. Lush and colorful. (6-7/10)

I said 3/10 because while it was boring, it wasn't so bad that I was looking at my phone impatiently, waiting for the thing to be over. It just slowly faded into the background like wallpaper almost.

I am tru blu aussie thru and thru. I have not let my inner shitpost shine. Allow me to be acclimatised and then it begins my luv. A shitpost to end the ages. Also constantly dying from heat.

youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA
IT'S CHRISTMAS

>oh dude speaking of sondre I played faces down to my mom while Christmas shopping and she dug it
>and I dug it a lot more than I used to
cool man! cool!
any favorite songs? and wasn't it you I was supposed to remind to re-listen to it?

>Me I want either a pig or a death ray.
lel
hopefully santa will bring me good health and art supplies

>Love Sondre
patrish
glad to see you dailyposting, huttoad, you keep reviewing stuff i've never heard of which is awesome. is it all bandcamp stuff?

fixed my trip

I hope santa brings you didgeridoo and a cold glass of lemonade aussiefriend

For the love of God, tourney rec, por favor

oh ok! any restrictions? what am I up against?

No restrictions. Trip up rec'd Scenery for a little meme jazz

how nice... thank you
Merry Christmas

>implying I don't own a didgeridoo

Actually once I got dragged to a tinted white van to be shown a didgeridoo collection by a transexual, transracial dude who told me my aura was not one of a smoker.
I remember that every Christmas

merry christmas user :)

ooh, that might be hard to beat. how about Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins?

>Actually once I got dragged to a tinted white van to be shown a didgeridoo collection by a transexual, transracial dude who told me my aura was not one of a smoker.
hahahaha great times

OY What are you saying about the greatest, most true blu nation on gods green earth
fair dinkum mate I'll slash ya

Getting a memory man and (hopefully) a microphone
have absolutely no way of testing them out because my guitar hasn't been serviced, will have to wait until after the new year

Supercluster already picked that last round. Here's my rym

A good portion of my music library is bandcamp stuff, but not all of it. Sometimes I try to go to through a random chart or two to pass the time. Like for example, I'm trying to go through the chart pictured, as well as various ambient and folktronica releases from Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Bibio, Tycho (because I thought why not), couple folk musicians, and random bandcamp artists.

Also, if someone could find me the Vera Lynn and the Verlaines albums, that'd be great. Those are the last albums I need to find, couldn't find them on the archives or rutracker.

ah that's right! ok how about
Jessica Bailiff- s/t

Four ha's is sincere and I refuse to believe otherwise

neat
do cocteau twins next it's so good

Got it, thanks. Happy holidays

did you get my rec or are you hiding it from the fish

it was sincere
also checked

Aussie Christmas cat

I've heard Heaven or Las Vegas three years ago, and I really enjoyed it. Was a very good into dream pop, shoegaze. Really it's me finishing the rest of the chart. The ones that stand out so far are Belle And Sebastian, Francoise Hardy, Jim O Rourke, Pram, XTC, and Cocteau Twins. I enjoy a majority of these albums, but the ones stated are the ones I keep coming back to.

I got it all right, just waiting for this to fill it out. Fish is acting like he's too busy for /daily/ these days anyway

happy yuletide, and also hanukkah

This German neofolk track fits well...

>Art Abscons - Somnium I
youtube.com/watch?v=LcMqB8ENXEo

merry Christmas!

we both agreed that the opener is fuckin great

and yeah lol

yer gonna get fucken stomped, nyar

should've wished for better taste instead lmao

merry christmas anyway faggos

what a cute dog

how will i ever recover

>Various - Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails

Good stuff. Even the instrumental tracks are pretty good here, though the main attraction is obviously the vocal tracks. If I had to be stuck in a cheesy Christmas lounge, this would be what I want to be playing. It's a bit too long but it's otherwise pretty good!

>Various - How the Grinch Stole Christmas

It's the Grinch. The music from the animated short everyone knows, to be more specific - and it's just as fun to listen now as it was when I was a kid. If you lack nostalgia, however, I doubt you will like this. And the spoken word segments don't feel right without some visuals to accompany them.

Now we're getting to the good stuff! I hope.

Excuse me sir, we celebrate Kwanzaa here.

Merry Christmas, nerds

youtube.com/watch?v=MdrEEdOYhiw

>next album for my backlog chart is a downtempo/ noise/ambient album from 2008
>only rating on rym is a 0.5 from someone who's been MIA since 2013
>only source on the rym page leads to discogs
>great
>google search reveals only links to rym, discogs, last.fm, and some russian experimental blog
>all dl links on the blog are broken
>all external links are too confusing to even try to follow
>find the main page of the project's creator through discogs
>he's in some other bands right now
>his most recent group is some shitty polish radio metal band
>why did i backlog this
>their bandcamp page has no email attached to it
>none of the bandcamp pages for any of his other projects have emails attached to them
>currently waiting on a reply from a bad metal band's facebook page about a probably not real downtempo noise album their keyboard/sampler player made 8 years ago
am i avant yet?

an ukelele

any of you got any musicky kinda stuff for holidays?

Whatever this is

Not until you track down an obscure foreign website that hasn't been updated since 1997 to buy a cassette that's several decades old, but first you have to pay some guy living in that country to buy it for you and then ship it you.

very

make sure you email him back when you're finished listening telling him it was only 0.5/5 stars

>your ISP/IP has been blocked
TFW Sup Forums won't let me post from mobile anymore for some dumb reason

I have no idea. Don't know what I want but I'll be happy regardless

:') Merry Christmas user

>Now we're getting to the good stuff! I hope.

You have the two best Christmas records ahead of you imo

Wild, how the hell did you even find that album to put on your backlog?? Also, that's definitely avant lmao

sounds fun
will do.
i think the person who gave it a .5 had really shit taste and i was looking through his .5s to see if there was anything interesting. the genre tags and cover looked cool.
the album in question:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/11111111111/1a1l1b1u1m111111/

xiu xiu's twin peaks thing is cool so far.

i'm probably getting a bunch of fun tapes for christmas which is fun.merry christmas btw. good on nyarl for finally getting his IW record.

update: another person has it catalogued, but he hasn't been on since 2015.
rateyourmusic.com/~Holms

Any of you guys that can get to Wales in April should check this Festival out. Looks like a /daily/ poster's wet dream.

safeasmilkfestival.com/sam17

here's to those who are being forced to listen to the fucking Michael Bublé christmas album for the next two days

>Mathias Delplanque - Cronicast 083, Radio Station
A commissioned piece by an independent French radio station, Mathias Delplanque creates a sound collage, musique concrete piece using field recordings of the radio station's offices. The little hums of feedback, clicks, whispers, piano samples, printer machines, and ambient loops are pleasant. I found the more quiet parts of the work to be more significant than the random blasts of music that were coming from certain rooms of the radio station. Reminded me of Matmos' Ultimate Care II (which I had the pleasure of seeing live), but not as abraisive. Not heads over heels, but it is very welcoming. (6-7/10)

>Lethargic in the Park - INTO PARADISE
Floaty, spacey ambient, with swirly, 80s sounding, new age synths. Has some of that bedroom producer cheesiness to it, like he's using the simpler presets of his keyboard or computer program. It's harmless though. Something to calmly stare into space, or the sky. (5-6/10)

Quite

I got Xiu Xiu's twin peaks soundtrack on vinyl during Record Store Day. Good find. Also don't know why but that cover reminds of something Jandek would put out during the 90s, like the ones with his house as the cover.

Hope your Christmas eve is going well. :)

Anyone know where i could get the Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Trilogy?

shit man how was ultimate care live? i can't even imagine that.
and i can see that. i need to listen to more jandek.

>Hey, i dont Have this album. Sorry
well at least the response was quick.

he was probably very confused as to why anyone would be seeking it out

youtube.com/watch?v=4DAMzsoNjlk

idk if it was the guy who made it. i'll see if i can track him down directly.

oh im laffin
that's brutal dude

anyone help me find something cool to listen to? I love forest/jungle sounds, animals, field recordings, glitch/noise/drone.
anything I should check out?

I WON'T GIVE UP
THIS IS THE DAY OF MIRACLES

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jurg_frey_radu_malfatti/ii/

>is this Sychy [the guy who made the album] or is there any way i could contact him directly?
>>You talking with nim right now also You can find him as Dawid Furmański
all hope might be lost on this one boys.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ensemble_si_nuan_thung_pong/chang_saw__village_music_of_northern_thailand/

By the way, note the one rating lmao

>Rodriguez, i recorded it in 2008 so dat ago, using only Korg X5D. Quality was terrible
>Thank You Rodriguez. Happy holidays
the dream's dead.

>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ensemble_si_nuan_thung_pong/chang_saw__village_music_of_northern_thailand/
thanks.. I wil check slsk for it I guess!

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tak-shindo/mganga_/

One of the more eccentric Exotica albums out there.

Spotify, actually. I wouldn't bother if you need to download it

i dont have spotify though

happy christmas :)

ill start posting regularly again sometime soon

Don't.

Spotify is my rec then

shut up fuckboy

fuccboi*

>animals, field recordings,
Cornell lab of ornithology- voices of north American owls

shit meme

(not true, by the way)

So how is christmas treating my boys? Got any nice and avant gifts?

by the sounds of it not having to listen to that shit is a gift not to take for granted

It was fun to see them mess around with a washing machine live. I didn't watch the thing as a whole, because it was at Day For Night festival, and I wanted a bunch more acts, but I found myself really liking it.

>So how is christmas treating my boys? Got any nice and avant gifts?
I bought myself books!

How is your christmas going?

it was in my backlog and i've failed my mission.
how was d4n?

Really good. Saw Aphex Twin, Bjork, and a whole bunch of others. Really fun experience. Probably last time I'll go, at least for a while, before heading off to college and all.

Got nice fur winter gloves from gf and I'm unable to move from overeating so I'd say its pretty successful. What books did you get?

gotta try some more positive thinking my dude this attitude just won't do im afraid :^(

the next album on the list is pretty killer.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/1_2_japanese/loud/

Gloves are always useful. I keep misplacing mine.

I bought myself some memes I haven't read yet/read in college and don't remember shit anymore

Yeah I'll prob have to actually look out for these so I don't get rekt for losing them

Looks like a pretty good selection, Confessions sound very cool and Ulysses is actually a great book and not a total memefest like Finnegan's is.

I read it halfway through but then I had other shit to take care off and I never got around to returning to Ulysses. Should be fun.

thank you to my local record store for enabling my last minute gift shopping

NxWorries - Yes Lawd! (2016)
>neo-soul

Tries too hard to be a collection of little vignettes with a cohesive theme, a la Madvillainy or Donuts, but it ends up lousy with filler, barring some really killer tracks. I love .Paak, Malibu is one of my favorite albums of the year, and he's definitely on point here vocally, at least on the longer songs. His scratchy voice is intrinsically cool, but the lyrics are /terrible/. Malibu has a really heavy theme of sexuality, but this takes it to another level, it's just kinda gross and uncomfortable to listen to. The production is mostly consistently cool. The vignette style of the album itself doesn't work, and a lot of the shorter tracks are just throwaway beats, but Knxwledge blends modern production with chopped samples of old soul songs really well, the latter style blends with .Paak's voice perfectly. It could be so much better than it is, and it's definitely lesser than Malibu, but a fine neo-soul album in it's own right. Could've really benefited from some editing, though.

2.5-

William Tyler - Modern Country (2016)
>american primitivism

Probably the closest primitivism I've heard to Bad Timing, in sound and in style. It takes a lot more influence from country and americana than blues and classical music, while still adding large amounts of chamber folk influence. It's really pretty, especially on the opener and the closer, but it lacks the raw technicality and power of most primitivism, and as such it sometimes falls into background music territory. The production gives it this really unappealing, generic sheen, I think that rawer, more immediate production could've done this album wonders. The instrumental additions are mostly nice, especially the drumming of the always great Glenn Kotche (/that's/ why this reminds me of O'Rourke!), but some synthesizer and piano parts are tacky. I'd like this more if it was stripped down and more engaging, but as is it's still a pleasant listen.

2.5+